Aussie press...Here we go again!!

Nzogbia

So, entirely true to form, the Royal wedding looms large and the ever reliably spiteful Australian press have weighed in with their filthy hob nailed boots. Now let me get a few things straight..... I am no lover of inherited privilege, or of a society based on class strata and I find the notion of the divine right of kings absurd......however.....

A constitional monarchy has proven over time to have many advantages and it tends to foster very stable, democratic nations. The Fairfax media group would appear to disagree with this notion (or wilfully wish to ignore it). Not content with spitting Republican blood at any and all links with the mother country it has now taken to sniping and sneering at the very core of British history and its customs. What the Age does not understand is that the monarchy, whether it dies out or not (and personally i have republican leanings and so hope it does), has left an indelible mark on the history and customs of the United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. We can not erase our past, we cannot pretend what we are not (though the Australian press make a damned fine attempt, regularly) and we cannot re-write history.

As a fairly new Australian citizen (dualled with GB) I should like to say the following to Fairfax and Newscorp. By all means pursue your Republican agendas and unshackle yourself from the historical ties that bind. Party on in your entirely undeserved mining boom. Feel free to rejoice at your mother country's relative decline. Continue to throw yourself like a desperate syphillitic whore at the clay feet of a bankrupted state which executes its own citizens, has one of the biggest divides between rich and poor in the developed world and which allows its citizens to arm themselves. Meanwhile, ask no questions of the tryrannical injustices which perpetuate in your second largest trading partner (oh yes, the PRC is an honourable institution which cares deeply about its countrymen and their human rights. Handy that they buy a lot of rocks too).

Yes, continue to do all of that. What's really important though is that you continue to highlight the wicked inequity of monarchy. Unless of course, it's a Tassie girl and she's marrying into the Danish Royal family. In which case, it's different - isn't it mate. Then, it's a fairytale.

Boils my pesh - in case you hadn't noticed.

Did anyone else read the 3 articles In the Age which referenced the British monarchy today? Does no one else pick up on the rabid anti British sentiment? Do they EVER write anything positive about the UK (and I mean - EVER??). I really wish Australian people of British descent would put an end to this. If we were Italian or Greek or Lebanese it would never be allowed.

Grrrrrr......

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

I tried to disagree with what you said but really can't. It's like an immature child in the school-yard and quite embarrassing. I remember well all the stories before the recent Ashes about how the England team aren't even really English conveniently forgetting all of our instant Aussie swimmers, athletes, boxers, cyclists, singers, actors etc etc etc.

I wont miss it one bit to be honest.

So, entirely true to form, the Royal wedding looms large and the ever reliably spiteful Australian press have weighed in with their filthy hob nailed boots. Now let me get a few things straight..... I am no lover of inherited privilege, or of a society based on class strata and I find the notion of the divine right of kings absurd......however.....

A constitional monarchy has proven over time to have many advantages and it tends to foster very stable, democratic nations. The Fairfax media group would appear to disagree with this notion (or wilfully wish to ignore it). Not content with spitting Republican blood at any and all links with the mother country it has now taken to sniping and sneering at the very core of British history and its customs. What the Age does not understand is that the monarchy, whether it dies out or not (and personally i have republican leanings and so hope it does), has left an indelible mark on the history and customs of the United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. We can not erase our past, we cannot pretend what we are not (though the Australian press make a damned fine attempt, regularly) and we cannot re-write history.

As a fairly new Australian citizen (dualled with GB) I should like to say the following to Fairfax and Newscorp. By all means pursue your Republican agendas and unshackle yourself from the historical ties that bind. Party on in your entirely undeserved mining boom. Feel free to rejoice at your mother country's relative decline. Continue to throw yourself like a desperate syphillitic whore at the clay feet of a bankrupted state which executes its own citizens, has one of the biggest divides between rich and poor in the developed world and which allows its citizens to arm themselves. Meanwhile, ask no questions of the tryrannical injustices which perpetuate in your second largest trading partner (oh yes, the PRC is an honourable institution which cares deeply about its countrymen and their human rights. Handy that they buy a lot of rocks too).

Yes, continue to do all of that. What's really important though is that you continue to highlight the wicked inequity of monarchy. Unless of course, it's a Tassie girl and she's marrying into the Danish Royal family. In which case, it's different - isn't it mate. Then, it's a fairytale.

Boils my pesh - in case you hadn't noticed.

Did anyone else read the 3 articles In the Age which referenced the British monarchy today? Does no one else pick up on the rabid anti British sentiment? Do they EVER write anything positive about the UK (and I mean - EVER??). I really wish Australian people of British descent would put an end to this. If we were Italian or Greek or Lebanese it would never be allowed.

Grrrrrr......

Can you post a link to the articles you are referring to, so we can make an informed comment.

And highlight which bit is the "rabid anti British sentiment"

Thanks.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We are all different and have different opinions, i love the Royal family, but i have friends and work colleagues who detest them and think they are scum sucking parasites and i expect it to be worse in another country, its not something i would get annoyed about, you either love em.............. or hate em.

Guest guest36762
Yes. But is it true ? I'm dubious.

yeah, not sure myself. i've only witnessed the fawning sycophantic stuff re the royal family, but i have seen many news articles seemingly reveling in anything negative about the uk.

TBH I don't read newspapers, never really have. I don't trust them as they ALL have an agenda whether it be left wing, right wing or whatever. I find news coverage on the ABC/BBC and SBS to be worthwhile, whereas the tripe news coverage on the commercial channels is truly pathetic.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Only a personal observation, but when Prince William was up here a few weeks ago (Far North), all the local press / local tv was nothing but complimentary about him.

He seems a really nice guy, just pleasant and decent like his mum was and kate seems a lovely young woman and i am sure he will be great as future King.

Going out now Parley but will post them in the morning. I see the posters are lining up in their partisan positions - and yes Parley you are one of them. Crikey - what kind of sad fantasist do you think I am that i would simply invent an angle to support my OWN perceptions?

I have many, many positive things to say about Australia, but the press here, generally speaking, is a disgrace and very much controlled by vested interests with thinly veiled agendas. And if you don't realise that then I suggest you do a bit more reading.

Pablo, disappointed with this, from you. Despite their nominal ability to dissolve parliament, who do you think exerts more significantly more influence on the people of the UK and Australia? - the Royal SaxyCoburgs or the Media Groups and the banking cartels that they serve?

Think Rupert Murdoch and get serious.

Honestly, I despair at times.

Pablo, disappointed with this, from you. Despite their nominal ability to dissolve parliament, who do you think exerts more significantly more influence on the people of the UK and Australia? - the Royal SaxyCoburgs or the Media Groups and the banking cartels that they serve?

Think Rupert Murdoch and get serious.

Honestly, I despair at times.

Never said(or thought)the royals have any influence zog,just that i dont like the theory of "the ruling classes",thats all,i despair of those that do,but each to their own eh?:wink:

I've just had a look at The Age online and I can't see anything that would insense the OP. There was an article about Wills and Kate, with some history thrown in, one about the Queen's birthday, nothing anti and one giving the results of a poll done in England. Maybe that would annoy the OP because the results weren't really complimentary but it was English nothing to do with the Australian press.

Going out now Parley but will post them in the morning. I see the posters are lining up in their partisan positions - and yes Parley you are one of them. Crikey - what kind of sad fantasist do you think I am that i would simply invent an angle to support my OWN perceptions?

I have many, many positive things to say about Australia, but the press here, generally speaking, is a disgrace and very much controlled by vested interests with thinly veiled agendas. And if you don't realise that then I suggest you do a bit more reading.

LOL that is funny..... Like that doesn't happen in the UK :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest guest30038

I have many, many positive things to say about Australia, but the press here, generally speaking, is a disgrace and very much controlled by vested interests with thinly veiled agendas.

Wouldn't you say that was true of the vast majority of press throughout the world? If so, why single out the Aussie press?

Guest Mallam

Most Australians love the royal family and come out in far bigger crowds than even in the UK when one of them visit Oz, it is just some sad journo who has a bee in his bonnet because his life is probably crap.

Guest Guest16631

Originally Posted by Nzogbia viewpost.gif

I have many, many positive things to say about Australia, but the press here, generally speaking, is a disgrace and very much controlled by vested interests with thinly veiled agendas .................................................very eloquently put ..................but the gutter press exist here in australia as well as in the uk...............don't buy their paper if you don't like what they have written

Archived