Cost of living / Salaries

downunder

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

OK I have been reading these threads and am seriously bricking it.

"A word of warning though.............. if you are on £45,000 here in the uk, you will need a wage of about $100,000 in Australia, to have the same standard of living and it is what you should be expecting to earn."

I am on £65k in the UK (just outside London close to M25) and am moving to Brisbane to a $90k salary. I am really worried that this will equate to a huge drop in lifestyle. Have I made a huge mistake? :cry:

"A word of warning though.............. if you are on £45,000 here in the uk, you will need a wage of about $100,000 in Australia, to have the same standard of living and it is what you should be expecting to earn."

I am on £65k in the UK (just outside London close to M25) and am moving to Brisbane to a $90k salary. I am really worried that this will equate to a huge drop in lifestyle. Have I made a huge mistake? :cry:

65k is a bloody good wage.

$90k is not bad either.Are you on your own,or married with kids.?Will your wife work ?

Although we are not in QLD we both work and between us we earn over $100k.We have a fairly simple lifestyle and most months we can put money into our savings.

Take a look at your life now and what you spend your money on then get on the internet and find the same in Brisbane.That should give you the answer.

Guest Guest 47403

That would be a considerable drop, are you single or family? To earn around about the same in Oz you would be looking at about $140k

65k is a bloody good wage.

$90k is not bad either.Are you on your own,or married with kids.?Will your wife work ?

Although we are not in QLD we both work and between us we earn over $100k.We have a fairly simple lifestyle and most months we can put money into our savings.

Take a look at your life now and what you spend your money on then get on the internet and find the same in Brisbane.That should give you the answer.

Married with 2 young kids and mine is the only income. I have done a budget and it seemed to work out pretty much equivalent to the UK, i.e. no savings left after all bills are paid. But when I read earlier in the thread (about 2.2) it sent me into a bit of a panic. In reality we have made the decision to move now so we are just going to have to make the most of it!

As the big date looms I find I get at least one daily dose of adrenaline induced anxiety through my body. I picture us all cramped in an old flood damaged wreck of a house, kids in rags, and old banger, and not enough money for a return flight, thinking what have we done!

Guest guest36187

Forget the exchange rate once you are here. Earn dollars and spend dollars. Get into that habit straight away and you will soon be fine. . You'll learn what you can and can't afford.

Guest guest30038
I am really worried that this will equate to a huge drop in lifestyle. Have I made a huge mistake? :cry:

Ask yourself what you mean by "lifestyle"?

If materialism is your bag, then you likely will question your decision to move here.

I can imagine that living expenses in or near London are much much higher than just about anywhere in Australia. Just be careful when you first arrive and you'll get a picture of how far your budget will go. When we first lived in Australia we both started on salaries of about $70k. We found we could live on one and just about save the other, but we were pretty tight when choosing a house (or should I say 'unit'! to rent and rented fully furnished as we couldn't afford to furnish it at first.

And always hold in your mind your reasons for moving in the first place!

Oh bless you,

I think most of us have felt like that before we made the move A good person to touch base with is Itcouldbeworse ( Kev) he has lived in Brisbane for 15 yrs.

Sometimes you have to take comments on here with a pinch of salt.As long as you have done your homework and are not looking for the impossible you will be fine.Remember a lot of people survive on a lot less than you will be getting.Also check out Centrelink as you may be able to get child benefit and the childcare taax rebate.

Guest guest30038
Oh bless you,

I think most of us have felt like that before we made the move A good person to touch base with is Itcouldbeworse ( Kev) he has lived in Brisbane for 15 yrs.

Yeah, but I have divine intervention on my side..............I'm a Saint remember :wink:

Guest Helchops

The tax rates:

$0 - $6,000 is charged at 0%.

$6,001 - $37,000 is charged at 15%

$37,001 - $80,000 is charged at 30%

$80,001 - $180,000 is charged at 37%

$180,001 + is charged at 45%

So: An individual with an income of $70,000 would pay:

0% on income between $0 - $6,000 ($0 total)

15% on income between $6001 - $37,000 ($4,650 total)

30% on income between $37,001 - $70,000 ($9,900 + the above $4,650) - Total $14,550.

Im on 160k a year and work in Brisbane but live on the gold coast. To be honest you live to and beyond your means but 90k with a family isnt a grea deal. You will be picking up about 2300 a fortnight, rent in brisbane isnt cheap so budget for 500-700 a week unless you want a longer commute and not live in a **** hole. So you have about 1500 a week left, shopping 150-250 a week, 1250 left, Car Rego, Phones, Living Expenses, Petrol, any other extras will soon whittle down what you have left and leave you no room to spare.

I was on 140 in England and obviously life was a lot more comfortable than over here, but when I got here I was with a partner who earned 80k a year so it was all gravy, on a v.good single salary, I still have to be careful not to blow it to quickly and there is only me and my new other half.

To be honest, 90 in brisbane compared to 65 in london may be similar as they are both expensive places to live.

Just my thoughts!

I think you have taken a big drop, sorry. I know some people have commented as to whether you can survive and I agree of course you can, but you have asked about a drop in lifestyle not whether you can survive and I do think you will see that drop. You were on over double average income, now you will be less than 50% more than it. My husband was on about £65k in UK, also just outside London and took a role at about $130k here and we considered that a drop.

I think you have taken a big drop, sorry. I know some people have commented as to whether you can survive and I agree of course you can, but you have asked about a drop in lifestyle not whether you can survive and I do think you will see that drop. You were on over double average income, now you will be less than 50% more than it. My husband was on about £65k in UK, also just outside London and took a role at about $130k here and we considered that a drop.

This is a real worry, I guess I will have to polish my CV and getting looking as soon as I arrive unless my employer promotes me really quickly - too late to back out now!

Shouldn't worry too much. You spend what you earn anywhere and the last couple of posters were on great salary's. They might not agree but check what the average salary is in Aus and you will see they are doing well.

I know a lot of people and not many of them would be earning $100,000 plus.

You can have a expensive lifestyle wherever you live but in my opinion there are a lot of things you can do here for entertainment that are free or very cheap that you don't have the opportunity to do in the UK.

Shouldn't worry too much. You spend what you earn anywhere and the last couple of posters were on great salary's. They might not agree but check what the average salary is in Aus and you will see they are doing well.

I know a lot of people and not many of them would be earning $100,000 plus.

You can have a expensive lifestyle wherever you live but in my opinion there are a lot of things you can do here for entertainment that are free or very cheap that you don't have the opportunity to do in the UK.

You are still addressing whether it is possible to survive on $90k and whether it is above average or whether people earns less.. The answer to all those things is yes of course, but not sure it is the point. Onyaweb was on £65k in UK (a pretty good salary) and seemed to be asking if this is comparable or whether he should expect a drop in lifestlye.

You are still addressing whether it is possible to survive on $90k and whether it is above average or whether people earns less.. The answer to all those things is yes of course, but not sure it is the point. Onyaweb was on £65k in UK (a pretty good salary) and seemed to be asking if this is comparable or whether he should expect a drop in lifestlye.

OK trying to think rationally, (which is quite difficult when stomach is in your mouth). I have done a budget (based on $400-500 pw accomodation) and it seems I can survive, although there is little contingency, but can expect a fairly sizeable drop in lifestyle. This is OK, we can deal with that for a while.

I expect to move up really quickly in the job that I've taken because I am really experienced in my field. I will have a fairly easy job while I settle in for the first 6 months or so, which could be a good thing. If I don't manage to move up the ranks, I can look around for a better job, and given my experience I should find one fairly quickly. It will be a lot easier to find a job once in Australia than it is from the UK.

Thanks for your comments everyone, I guess the shock for me is seeing the difference in equivalent wage. I knew it was less but I didn't think the gap was quite so large. Certainly from my budget it didn't seem like there would be a sizeable lifestyle difference.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hope this helps someone get a feel of wages in Australia, these are average wages with overtime, some earn less and others earn more, i am amazed at the average pay rises, i have a government job here in the uk and i have recieved an average of 1.5% increase each year for the last 10 years, in Australia the yearly average is closer to 5%

Average Full Time Male Total earnings including overtime:

12 Months endedAnnual WageAnnual Change

May-1995.........$38,740

May-1996.........$40,378.....4.23%

May-1997.........$41,418.....2.58%

May-1998.........$43,155.....4.19%

May-1999.........$44,309.....2.68%

May-2000.........$45,900.....3.59%

May-2001.........$47,793.....4.12%

May-2002.........$50,253.....5.15%

May-2003.........$53,414.....6.29%

May-2004.........$54,938.....2.85%

May-2005.........$58,583.....6.64%

May-2006.........$59,873.....2.20%

May-2007.........$62,894.....5.05%

May-2008.........$65,686.....4.44%

May-2009.........$69,493.....5.79%

May-2010.........$73,148.....5.26%

• 2 months later...

Hi

I'm even more worried now after reading this whole thread. I am in Grampian region / Scotland. My husband is the sole bread winner while I stay at home & we have 2 kids (11 & 7), he is "limited company" (kinda self employed i guess) but with long term contract for oil company (mainly office based in Aberdeen but occ few days off shore) I guess he prob earns somewhere around 100K (before deductions) but i'm not entirely sure (I just spend it lol).

We have a large 5 bedroom/ 3 bathroom / double garage house (mortgaged) we built ourselves sitting in a rural location within our 1400 sq metre plot. He drives a freelander 2 for his work comute, I drive a BMW 335 D m sport coupe & he has a gsx 1400 toy (kids have ktm bikes/off road buggys etc)

He is about to start making contacts & seriously looking for similar type work probs around Perth area.. I am seriously wondering if its realistic to think I may be able to keep similar type material things (house/cars although not so worried about cars to start with i guess) and live fairly happily. We dont go out often, trip to the cinema is preferable rather than the pub etc . I am wondering what type of salary he might be likely to get over in oz & obviously although we'd rent to start with eventually when we bought if I'd have to look at housing much less than what I have here.

Soooo much things to consider & think about, I'm not the type of person who thinks the grass is always greener but really coming round to hubbys idea & getting up for this emigrating idea.. thing is once we set our minds to something thats it & I'm scared about setting our mind to this & moving to less than what we have here, although personally the weather will improve my quality of life greatly (I suffer from that S.A.D) & I think my kids could be really happy too (although son not happy about not being allowed his corn snake into the country) The thought of the australian wild/bird life too is a huge appeal for all of us, esp me (qualified vet nurse pre kids) so I'm sure our lives would be enriched but my indoor space & quality of house is still important to me.

Hubby has also just been to a WA emigration/ skills work presentation thingy over here in Aberdeen (where people from WA trying to "sell the idea" & hubby is fairly confident there is work within his oil industry)

Enough of my ramblings.. gosh amazingly hard decisions !!!!

L x

Guest gail2010

Oh I think you will take bad moving to Aus!!! Its very expensive!! we were ok for the 1st while but noticing the bank account is getting smaller every month! Cars are very expensive looking at a new style jeep or car you will be looking at $20,000 to $40,000 so having 2 good cars will be a drain, rent is very expensive. you will need to make sure that you multiply by more than 4 so your husband to give you a lifestyle like you have in aberdeen would need to be $400,000, we earn 4 times the amount than Uk although I worked so we are down 1 wage and have a new baby so also 1 extra mouth to feed! We pay 4 times more rent than we did on the mortgage in the uk. Food shopping bill is horrendous and the food here is awful, you will be lucky to find tasty restaurants.

Houses are weird we are near 30mins each way from 2 airports and the amount of planes that we hear is crazy double glazing doesnt exist here I so wish it did, also the house is freezing in winter they dont build with winter or summer in mind.

Ok that probably sounds negative now for the good stuff, I have 2 boys the same age as yours there is sooooo much here for them they are so lucky swimming lessons within a class of 4 weekly, after school learning, tae kwon do, music lessons everything for them is easy, there are shopping malls all around there are beautiful parks fantastic beaches, the weather at the moment here is very cold but come summer it will be ace!!

I dont want to return to the UK but I havent found the grass to be as green as I had hoped. The lifestyle is fine but its very costly ohhhh and the Aussies hate the brits and they let it be known, they treat us like low grade immigrants, I have spoken to so many people from the UK that feel the same!!

I know I am going to get knocked for my reply but thats how I feel!! And your s.a.d will be fine here in the summer but in winter you will feel the same as you do in the UK as I think I suffer this also but to be honest its easier to cope with the rain and cold here as you know come summer it will be amazing!

Archived