1 Month in Perth!

emmaroo

Been here for a month now and so far so good. I came over ahead of O/H just to get the ball rolling and start bringing in some dollars! I am lucky enough to be staying with family so its made things a lot easier. Mark will arrives in 2 weeks and I can't wait as I am missing him terribly!

I was really lucky and found a job within 2 weeks of arriving. It is the same kind of work that I was doing in Edinburgh but with double the wage! The people have been extremely friendly and have made me feel so welcome. There is low unemployment in WA so there is of course a higher chance of success when applying for jobs!

On a day to day basis the cost of living is slightly higher than in UK but the wages are in line with this and if you shop around and are careful there is no reason why you can't have a good standard of living. There is also of course the added benefit of the nice weather which means that there are more activities you can enjoy outdoors which means not having to spend lots of cash to enjoy family activities.

Our shipment is due to arrive in April so we will be starting to look for our own place to rent soon. Rentals seem to be fairly expensive but again it depends on what kind of property you are looking for and where and again if you shop around I am sure there are affordable rentals out there.

So in the short time I have been here things have gone well but life here is completely different! Not only do you move yourself and family to the other side of the world but you change the way you live your life and people have to be aware and prepared for it. There is no use coming here expecting it to be like life in the UK as its not. There is no use come here and thinking that the chocolate is going to be like it is in the UK its not and why? BECAUSE ITS NOT THE UK!

Some people might enjoy these differences and others wont and so will return to the UK this is just the way things go!

I am enjoying them and discovering new ones everyday but that is not to say that I will feel like this forever but for now its life downunder for emmaroo! :cool:

Isn't the weather great at the moment Emma. Have you been in the sea yet? it's the warmest I've known it this year, not even a shock to get in.

Glad you are enjoying it and you will like it even more when the rest of the family arrive.

Hi Paul

Yes, I have been in the sea and it was like getting into a warm bath!! The water was really clear and it was just lovely!

Very lucky to be only 10mins from Cottesloe beach!

:cute:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Great post emma, i have always said that we found that overall the cost of living appeared to be slightly dearer in Australia not that much to make it a concern and as you say low unemployment means more success in getting a job is a huge bonus to us would be migrants. Cheers for the great post and i hope it keeps going great.

Guest guest30085

Make sure youve a spare room (or a sofa) in your new rental - I might need one after all of those bottles of wine we will be drinking when I visit Perth next :goofy::laugh::hug: xx

Guest siamsusie

I like this post:wubclub: and I am delighted life is treating you well Emma.

You have come on a long journey with a happy ending!

love Susie x

Hi Emma,

Delighted it is all working out for, after all the hard work to get you here on PR, as you say

your parents have been amazing trying every avenue to get you here and it was easy in the

end. It will all fall into place when your Mark gets here, you will love it even more.:yes:

Take care

Enjoy

Laney xxxx:hug:

Make sure youve a spare room (or a sofa) in your new rental - I might need one after all of those bottles of wine we will be drinking when I visit Perth next :goofy::laugh::hug: xx

I'll put it on the list of must haves! If all else fails there's always the bath! X

Whereabouts in Perth are you Emma look around cause the rental prices vary enormously from area to area. We love it here to and have a far better standard of living than we could ever of hoped to afford in the UK. Good luck with getting settled and welcome to this wonderful part of the world :wubclub:

Guest guest30085
I'll put it on the list of must haves! If all else fails there's always the bath! X

The bath will do for me . . . :wideeyed::laugh::hug:

• 1 month later...
Guest tabatha
Hi emmaroo.we followed your journey and now are coming over oct . Were from melrose..near Edinburgh..we fancy ocean reef area or Quinns but having a real job finding rental props.we want something 4 bedrooms with pool for my kids

..any websites worth a look...glad its working out for you..any help would be fab..

Hi emmaroo.we followed your journey and now are coming over oct . Were from melrose..near Edinburgh..we fancy ocean reef area or Quinns but having a real job finding rental props.we want something 4 bedrooms with pool for my kids

..any websites worth a look...glad its working out for you..any help would be fab..

Hi

You must be getting really excited about coming over! I am really enjoying it.

Check out the links ti websites below

http://www.realestate.com.au

http://www.reiwa.com.au

http://mydomain.com.au

Let me know when you arrive and we could meet up for a drink or coffee?

Good Luck

Emma

:wubclub:

Guest jobboandsas

Hi Emma,

Me and my family are just starting the paperwork to move over to Perth, i was just wondering how long the process takes?

thank you sarah

Hi Emma,

Me and my family are just starting the paperwork to move over to Perth, i was just wondering how long the process takes?

thank you sarah

Hi Sarah

I think it will depend on what type of visa you are applying for.

Good Luck

Emma

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tabatha

Emma

Can you tell me the chances of us scots securing a rental property for 6 months before we arrive???? or is a holiday let the best bet for a few weeks??? Worried that a holiday let would take us into december and with crimbo looming, it be alwful if we could find long term rental before then???? Hope you are doing okay and not missin all the scottish rain!!!!!!!!1111

Emma

Can you tell me the chances of us scots securing a rental property for 6 months before we arrive???? or is a holiday let the best bet for a few weeks??? Worried that a holiday let would take us into december and with crimbo looming, it be alwful if we could find long term rental before then???? Hope you are doing okay and not missin all the scottish rain!!!!!!!!1111

Just a thought, but if there's any delay in shipping, you might be better off in a furnished short term rental than camping in an empty house for Xmas...

Emma

You will not be able to secure a normal tenancy for a 6 month let until you are here. The letting agencies will not touch you, unfortunately. Book a holiday rental for a month and take it from there.

we fancy ocean reef area or Quinns but having a real job finding rental props.we want something 4 bedrooms with pool for my kids

Hey Tabatha,

I have just been looking at properties in Quinns Rocks and was shocked to see 3/4 bed houses for $350-400/wk! And one of them had a pool, but that might have ben $450/wk.

We've been looking for 2-bed apartments nearer to the CBD, but they cost more than a 4-bed place at Quinns!

Anyone know about public transport between Quinns and Perth CBD? Does the train run between these two suburbs? I think it's a 45-60 min drive, but how long on public transport, please?

Thanks

Hey Tabatha,

I have just been looking at properties in Quinns Rocks and was shocked to see 3/4 bed houses for $350-400/wk! And one of them had a pool, but that might have ben $450/wk.

We've been looking for 2-bed apartments nearer to the CBD, but they cost more than a 4-bed place at Quinns!

Anyone know about public transport between Quinns and Perth CBD? Does the train run between these two suburbs? I think it's a 45-60 min drive, but how long on public transport, please?

Thanks

At peak hours the driving would probably take you over an hour from Quinns. Train runs from Clarkson, it is about 40 mins on the train from Clarkson to Perth. Buses would probably run from Quinns to Clarkson train station or it has a car park. I don't live in Quinns but there is usually (as there is all over the world) a reason for things being cheap. I personally wouldn't live there, particularly if you have children as the schools (especially High School) aren't all that flash IMO.

Hi just to let u know we are arriving beg dec and we contacted 3 agents and they all have said we can view on line and our friends can do a physical viewing for us so we can secure a long term rental for when we arrive . Obviously we are lucky to have friends there to do that for us but it is possible.

Don't know your circumstances but if you have contacts in oz may be worth considering.

Michelle

Archived