Moving to Victoria 2011?

cornish78

Look for a place to live near PT so you can train it into the city, Maybe get the kids to write down a wish list and help you choose where to live? Might make your daughter feel more in charge of her life which may well be part of the problem at the moment (apart from generally being a teenager).

What sort of stuff are your family interested in? There's loads to do in Melbourne if you know where to look ..

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest CarolynYeoman

Thanks. That is a good idea and it is certainly worth a try. Our Daughter likes dancing (plus facebook!) but wants to take up horse-riding. The boys like swimming, karate and cubs but want to start tennis and cricket. Hubby and I just want to get out and about, meet people and aim to start cycling and anything else which takes our fancy.

We had intended moving out towards the end of November but have changed to just after Christmas in order to try and placate the children a bit! Not sure if it will work or not.

Carolyn

Horse-riding could be a good way to convince her - there is some amazing horse-riding to do on a regular weekend trip away from Melbourne,

For example (not far from where I grew up) http://watsonstrailrides.tourstogo.com.au/tour/2923-%20Winery%20Ride/ Something for adults and kids alike!

and there are loads of places in outer Melbourne itself - I only know the Eastern suburbs, will have to think about the best places to suggest...

Ok, Just a couple for you to accidentally leave open on the pc in case she's curious :) These are just ones I found via google - no idea if they're any good or not!

Western Suburbs:

http://www.bellarinehorseridingcentre.com.au/riding_school.html

Eastern Suburbs (not far from Berwick - this would be GORGEOUS riding country!)

http://www.vechorse.com.au/Find_Us.html

I know there'll be lots more...

Cricket and Tennis for the boys is easy peasy - pretty much any local area will have clubs and stuff for them to join in with :)

Guest The Ray Family

Hi guys,

I'm moving to Melbourne in November and have a months rental booked in pakenham. Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks

Steve and Julie Ray

Guest Attwell99
Hi. I too purchased this book online and it took me ages to realise that they don't actually send you a hard copy of the book. In the confirmation e-mail they send you a link to their site and you have to download the book as a pdf and then either read it on your computer or print it off (it is very long). Bit of a con really. Hope this helps.

Carolyn

I ordered that book and never got it. Tried emailing them and got no reply and still no book.

I'm flying in on Thursday morning so I'll have to just hit the ground running and get by on my research so far. Would have been handy to have it all in one ebook though.

Like you I think it's a con.

Hi guys,

I'm moving to Melbourne in November and have a months rental booked in pakenham. Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks

Steve and Julie Ray

There are several families who post and live in Pakenham. Join the Britvics forum as well. Its a quiet place so sometimes takes a while for people to answer but the members are mainly people who live here in Vic. Also do a search for Pakenham might bring up threads here for you. So many posts its hard to look through them all.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Time to share some good news with my fellow Melbournian..:biggrin:University of Melbourne Special Needs Dentistry department offered a spot to me for their entering class of 2012. Sorry it took so long to update my status. I enjoyed my vacation at Eastern Europe for the last 3 months. I am currently in the process of relocating to Melbourne. Looking forward to meet all my future Aussie friends.

I am an US trained dentist who is currently applying to Melbourne Doctor of Clinical Dentistry Program. The program itself starts on Feb/March of 2012. Looking forward to share ideas and learn from fellow forum members..

Gosh haven't seen this post for a while, I am on final countdown 5 weeks to go, DH ha already arrived and working in Bendigo.

Sarah x

Guest VickyMel
Gosh haven't seen this post for a while, I am on final countdown 5 weeks to go, DH ha already arrived and working in Bendigo.

Sarah x

Bet you can't wait to be back with your DH - and it is really great to have him already settled in a job with money coming in as well.

Enjoy your final few weeks - I imagine you would like him with you for some things! It is the same at this end he can swan off to work and you can arrange getting things sorted there :wink:

Well the day is finally here for us - off to the airport in 2 hours! Landing in Sydney, staying there for a week, then off to Melbourne middle of next week....

Can't believe it's finally here!!

Maddie x

Oh Maddie at last - I hope you enjoy your trip!

Vicky

Further to my post on here of a few months back, I now have my student visa (it took a grand total of a day & a half to be granted!) and we fly to Melbourne on 26 October 2011!! We'll be living in Mulgrave...my daughter and I are both very excited to start our new lives!!

Wishing everyone else good luck with their plans and moves :-)

Well the day is finally here for us - off to the airport in 2 hours! Landing in Sydney, staying there for a week, then off to Melbourne middle of next week....

Can't believe it's finally here!!

Maddie x

Hope you got there safe and sound Maddie! See you in ten weeks - OH already there. I can't wait!:jiggy:

Further to my post on here of a few months back, I now have my student visa (it took a grand total of a day & a half to be granted!) and we fly to Melbourne on 26 October 2011!! We'll be living in Mulgrave...my daughter and I are both very excited to start our new lives!!

Wishing everyone else good luck with their plans and moves :-)

Many congratulations - good luck with the future.

We flew out on Malaysian Airlines arriving on Wednesday and are still getting over the jetlag. Booked a fantastic holiday let in Mornington through Moving to Melbourne. Start looking for somewhere to live tomorrow in the Northern suburbs. Tried to get a mobile phone contract when we first arrived but couldn't as I haven't got a job so no credit history. Hope that doesn't apply to house rentals too.

Guest GordandAbi

Hi to everyone. Please can i join in too??

Me,my hubby (Gord) and our 3 children aged 3 and half,22 months and 4 months should be moving to Melbourne in the early new year. Gord has got a job already out there on a 457 visa and we are just waiting for it all to be finalised! Scary stuff this....especially as parents are finding our decision pretty tough going at the moment.:sad:

We are hoping to move to Berwick. Have no family out there at all so i am petrified! After reading this whole thread i couldn't help but think how lovely everyone was so thought i'd come and say hi. We are also looking to meet new people and make loads of new friends.:biggrin:

Abi.xxx

Guest VickyMel
Tried to get a mobile phone contract when we first arrived but couldn't as I haven't got a job so no credit history. Hope that doesn't apply to house rentals too.

I had a post on here where I had the same problem with having no credit history.

I wanted a new phone and the cheapest was was with the contract so I argued it out with the phone company and got my contract in the end - it took about a week had to show bank statement and a couple of other things but I got there.

It is not an issue with the rentals - however the agents were a bit concerned I think because we were new - needed to give references and again showed a bank statement showing we had funds.

Although OH had just got a job contract we could show them but I think we could have swung it anyway. We were also able to push some of the rental agencies to a 6 month let rather than 1 year (although unfortunately not the property we ended up with).

Welcome!

Vicky

Hi to everyone. Please can i join in too??

Me,my hubby (Gord) and our 3 children aged 3 and half,22 months and 4 months should be moving to Melbourne in the early new year. Gord has got a job already out there on a 457 visa and we are just waiting for it all to be finalised! Scary stuff this....especially as parents are finding our decision pretty tough going at the moment.:sad:

We are hoping to move to Berwick. Have no family out there at all so i am petrified! After reading this whole thread i couldn't help but think how lovely everyone was so thought i'd come and say hi. We are also looking to meet new people and make loads of new friends.:biggrin:

Abi.xxx

Hi Abi, welcome!

My Dh is already out there on a 457, still lots to do here to get ready to go, 4.5 weeks and counting...

Sarah

Guest GordandAbi
Hi Abi, welcome!

My Dh is already out there on a 457, still lots to do here to get ready to go, 4.5 weeks and counting...

Sarah

Hi there. You must be getting so excited!:biggrin: When did it all start happening for you guys? Whereabouts are you thinking of living?

Thankyou for the warm welcome.:hug:

Abi.xxx

Guest The Ray Family
Hello everyone, flying out on 31st Oct with Singapore Airlines at 22.05 Heathrow to Melbourne. Anyone on the same flight? I'm sooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there,

We are flying out to Melbourne on the 31st October as well but from Manchester. Really excited too where you staying? Were staying in Pakenham.

Thanks

Steve

Hi all were hoping to move to melbourne 2012 just got state nomination so in the process of applying for the 176 visa. Theres been a few areas suggested on here that ill look into but anyone got any idea on rental charges? we have no jobs to come too so trying to estimate how much captail we need to sustain ourselves intially!

Archived