Moving to Victoria 2011?

cornish78

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest smarties
Hi

We are a family of four , children are 6 & 2 and we are looking to move to Mount Eliza/ Mornington area in Sept 2011. Just waiting for that visa....... any day now !!!

Another family of 4 from Kent here, children are 11 and 14. Moving to the Berwick area as OH has a job in Dandenong. Leave on the 28th March, arrive in Melbourne after4 days in KL.

Trying to sort everything out as the shippers come Monday :eek:............well when I'm not wasting time on PIO's :laugh:

Hope the visa'a for anyone who is waiting come through soon!

Guest VickyMel

I am applying for a jobs again hoping we might get something before we arrive. Hoping that some of you who are already there may be able to advise a bit on salaries?

From looking at adverts over the last year or so my OH and myself are mainly looking at jobs adverts in the range of $60k to 100K and these would most likely be based in the city so we would probably want to live relatively close to the city as well.

This is such a very wide salary range and I have no idea what to relates to on the ground in Melbourne?

Any suggestions on what is a sensible figure that we should be trying to get as a minimum (its just the 2 of us) for us to be relatively comfortable and within reasonable commuting distance of Melbourne city?

Ideally it would be good if we could get a figure so that potentially only one of us need work and the other try to start something different but with possibly little to no income for a while.

Thanks guys

Vicky

Guest chicchan

Hello

I'm moving to Victoria in May (near Geelong)I'm marrying my Aussie fiance and don't know know anyone there apart from him and his family Would be great to chat to some people near by!

Joanne

Guest maggie2010
Another family of 4 from Kent here, children are 11 and 14. Moving to the Berwick area as OH has a job in Dandenong. Leave on the 28th March, arrive in Melbourne after4 days in KL.

Hey we: me, my OH John and our daughter Emily 15 months, have booked our flights! Flying from Glasgow on the 16th April! Start my new job in Dandenong on the 25th! Hopefully will have enough time to find our feet!

Been waiting so long doesnt really seem real! xx

Guest chicchan

Oh wow!!! Well I hope you have a great flight and all the best with your new job. We're getting married in QLD so it will will be mid May by the time I'm in Victoria............ happy days ahead!!!

All the best to you all and maybe I'll see you on here soon! xx

I'm very jealous for all of you moving soon - I'm seriously wondering why we are waiting until October...

in reality it's to save more money...but I'm now at this weird point in my life , and work, where I know I'm leaving but not yet...it's hard to be motivated!

Hope all of you moving soon settle in well..so you can meet me in October and tell me all the great places to go :biggrin:

Guest chicchan

Hi Cornish!

At least moving in October you will miss the Aussie winter! lol

I'll be moving almost from one winter to another ha ha

Yeah it's hard to be motivated at work when you know you are going......... I leave work two weeks today and to say I'm finding it difficult is an understatement!

But it has to be done x

Guest smarties

Hey we: me, my OH John and our daughter Emily 15 months, have booked our flights! Flying from Glasgow on the 16th April! Start my new job in Dandenong on the 25th! Hopefully will have enough time to find our feet!

Been waiting so long doesnt really seem real! xx

Good luck with the job, what will you be doing? Have you decided on an area yet, we are looking at Berwick but it will really be where we can get a nice rental. Need to get our kids in school then will look for work myself.

I'm very jealous for all of you moving soon - I'm seriously wondering why we are waiting until October...

in reality it's to save more money...but I'm now at this weird point in my life , and work, where I know I'm leaving but not yet...it's hard to be motivated!

Hope all of you moving soon settle in well..so you can meet me in October and tell me all the great places to go :biggrin:

When we decided to return to Oz in Januart (spent 8 years in Perth) we just wanted to get on with it, didn't seem much point in waiting around.

I have to admit, the thought of 2 winters is quite depressing though, hopefully the summer will be worth waiting for! :yes:

Happy to meet up with peeps when we get settled.

Guest chicchan

Yes two winters back to back isn't good is it! I had been planning to go in November originally but then things changed. Nevermind...... I'm the Victoria winter will be nothing like the one we've just had here ha ha

I'm going to be living in Clifton Springs near Geelong....... I don't know anyone other than the family so it will be good to get chatting to people on here. It will also be good when I start work so I can start meeting people. Not decided what I'm going to do job wise yet. I've been working as a PA for the last 6 years but fancy something different. I'm going to have a few months off though to find my feet and settle in and then start looking maybe in August.

If you're on facebook I'm happy for you to add me...... Joanne Ashmore

Anyway have a great weekend and catch up with you again soon!

Happy to chat on Facebook too if anyone fancies adding me- good way to keep in touch and see pics once we arrive !

Dont really want to put my full name on here (as not told work yet I'm leaving...and you never know who may be lurking:biggrin:) - so PM me and I'll give details...

Have a good weekend all x

Guest mazkinmond5

Hi all, we are moving to Melbourne this Oct, have been researching all suburbs and like the look of Melton West, mainly due to house prices!! New builds 4bed, from Burbank, starting around $370k, there appears to be plenty of shops, lesuire, child care, schools.

Does anyone live there or have any inside info? as there are mixed reviews on web!!

some say that is a lovely family area, other say houses are cheap for a reason!

Any info would be grand!!

Hi all, we are moving to Melbourne this Oct, have been researching all suburbs and like the look of Melton West, mainly due to house prices!! New builds 4bed, from Burbank, starting around $370k, there appears to be plenty of shops, lesuire, child care, schools.

Does anyone live there or have any inside info? as there are mixed reviews on web!!

some say that is a lovely family area, other say houses are cheap for a reason!

Any info would be grand!!

Melton is quite flat and there are some housing estates which began being built 25 years ago which have evolved, but the newer ones can be a bit sparse, and it has traditionally been seen as a working class kind of suburb. If you are going out to the

west of the city, there are some better parts to go,depends whether you want an established house or housing estate to build on. Somewhere like Craigieburn

Highlands Home & Land - House and Land Package - Stockland Australia

might be better or Caroline Springs.

Sunbury is okay, too, if closer to the airport (but some parts of Melton are too).

Guest mazkinmond5
Melton is quite flat and there are some housing estates which began being built 25 years ago which have evolved, but the newer ones can be a bit sparse, and it has traditionally been seen as a working class kind of suburb. If you are going out to the

west of the city, there are some better parts to go,depends whether you want an established house or housing estate to build on. Somewhere like Craigieburn

Highlands Home & Land - House and Land Package - Stockland Australia

might be better or Caroline Springs.

Sunbury is okay, too, if closer to the airport (but some parts of Melton are too).

Thanks for that - yea thats the kinda thing i was expecting, but was hoping it would be more positve(prices are good!)Yea was looking at sunbury just yest actually looks nice. will continue my research in that area, thanks again.

Guest jubbsy

Hi All,

We are moving to melbourne on 12 Nov. Wish it was tomorrow!!! Just handed in my notice at work as an on maternity leave. We have an 8month old and a 2 yr old and will probably live in point cook. We came out on a reccie last year and loved it. Our visa only took 2 1/2 months which surprised us all. We have no family out in oz, just some friends in Adelaide. So nervous/excited/scared and everything else in between!!!

Guest chicchan

Hello Jubbsy

Yes I know exactly what you mean........ I fly out 5weeks tomorrow! It only seems like yesterday it was 5 months away! :-)

Guest mazkinmond5
Hi All,

We are moving to melbourne on 12 Nov. Wish it was tomorrow!!! Just handed in my notice at work as an on maternity leave. We have an 8month old and a 2 yr old and will probably live in point cook. We came out on a reccie last year and loved it. Our visa only took 2 1/2 months which surprised us all. We have no family out in oz, just some friends in Adelaide. So nervous/excited/scared and everything else in between!!!

Hi we feel exactaly the same, but just keeping myself busy with the to do list!! Where are you from in the UK? great to chat to people in the same boat. We have twoboys, Charlie 2half and Olly 14mth, we are looking to move to Werribee, Point Cook area, so keep in touch PM me if you need any help.

Maz

Guest jubbsy

We're in London...for the next 8 months!!!! Hope you get your visa soon. Judging by your time line you might get it in the next month or so hopefully. The last few days waiting for the approval were the worst for us. Neither of us have fingernails left!!

Would be good to keep in touch!

Guest Joannehamill

Hi, I am new to this, not really sure if I'm doing it right!!!

Anyways my husband is a bricky with his papers and 13 years experience, he is heading to Melbourne next month on a whv to Suss it out, see if there's much work and hoping to get sponsored for a 457 so me and the kids can follow him out. We could have applied for 175 but it takes so long to process and we've never been to Australia so permanent residency is an option for later on. Can anyone offer any advice? Is there much work for a bricky in Melbourne or are we completely mad!!!

Sunbury is quite different to Melton, I liked them both but would probably go for Sunbury except it is too far inland for me. Gisbourne looks nice up that way too. I would not go for Craigiburn.:unsure:

Is distance to the city an issue? would you be needing public transport to commute in and out of the city? If so I would check out Metlink and viclink for timetables etc to give you an idea of frequency and timings of the trains.

We have been to Eynsbury today, which is close to Melton, it is a new township which is growing slowly. if you have children you would need to think about doctors etc because there are none there at the moment, evrybody goes to Melton, the kids get bussed to schools as there are no schools yet - the town centre and schools are scheduled to be started in a year or two depending on how the population grows.

it ticks lots of boxes for us and we do not have young children, so we do not have to worry about schools etc. However it is further from the city, the nearest train station is about a 10 min drive. BUT I have to regularly drive to the North, North East, East and South East suburbs so it will add about 20 mins onto my journeys. They (at Eynesbury) say it is 40 mins from the city but the reality in peak hour traffic is more like 1 hour or longer.

From where I am now in Deer Park, a 40 min journey to Burwood, takes me anything up to 1hr 15 mins and sometimes longer depending on which idiot decides to crash or break down on the West Gate bridge. So we need to think if it would be worth the extra journey - at the moment I think it would be.

What about Point Cook? Williams landing? Wyndham Vale? Werribee?

Good luck with your journey to Oz:yes:

Karen

Thanks for that - yea thats the kinda thing i was expecting, but was hoping it would be more positve(prices are good!)Yea was looking at sunbury just yest actually looks nice. will continue my research in that area, thanks again.

Also wanted to say that we have been in the Western suburbs of Melbourne for almost 3 years and I would be happy to help out in any way, just ask on here or send me a PM

I also travel around the suburbs for my job so I have a little bit of knowlege on other suburbs too.

Also up for any sort of meet up (well not ANY! but you know what I mean) a quick coffe and a chat or a meal or meet up in a park.

There is no such thing as a stupid question ;0)

Guest stephymc

hi there, i'll be moving to frankston, melbourne as soon as my visa is granted. to marry my fiance. lodged subclass 300 on 23rd feb, co replied 4th march requesting medicals and police check, so all going well

Archived