Moving to Victoria 2011?

cornish78

Guest VickyMel

Great to see you AuzSci

Really pleased your validation trip went well and you are looking forward to the move.

Vicky

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the forum ask away.

Thank you. I will bring along my wife and two young kids (8 year old boy and 6 year old girl) to Melbourne if given acceptance. My telephone interview with Melbourne dental school faculty is on June 7th.:eek:

I apologize if the questions asked seem redundant.

1)location of primary school education for my kids. Hopefully the location will be close to the dental school.

2) residential housing for my family in the safe part of Melbourne. Again, hopefully the location will be close to the dental school, shopping and my kids' primary school

3) I understand Melbourne extensive tram network is the largest in the world. Do I need to purchase a vehicle ? even though I will spend most of time in dental school ?

4) any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Melbourne Dental School,

The University of Melbourne,

4th Floor, 720 Swanston Street,

Carlton, 3053, Victoria

Its part of the University of Melbourne and being in Carlton is very close to the city centre.

Accommodation in this area is pricey and mainly consists of apartments and town houses, town houses being the more expensive option.

Carlton is in the City of Melbourne

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx you should be able to find out all about schools etc from this site.

Realestate.com.au or Domain.com.au will give you an idea of the property and rentals.

Metlink.com.au is our public transport site and will give you the tram and train routes and also the neighbouring suburbs on the transport routes.

Being right in the city it is a popular area with academics and business people whether its safe is dependent on us personally as in any large city.

Melbourne is a very multicultural city and the vision of blond aus is not really apparent that much around the city anymore.

Good luck.

Guest Scotinaus

Carlton is lovely but as Petals said, is quite pricey, especially if you need somewhere with space for your kids. If you use realestate.com.au you can put in carlton as the suburb and then click "include surrounding suburbs" so you get more options a bit further out. I like Richmond/Abbotsford and they are family friendly too (Richmond is a lot busier than Abbotsford though).

We don't have a car - we use http://www.flexicar.com.au when we need one, and use it every weekend to go to the supermarket, etc.

I apologize I have no clue..but below is the address for the dental school.

Melbourne Dental School

University of Melbourne

720 Swanston St

MELBOURNE VIC 3010

Below is the link to google map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=melbourne+dental+school&cp=18&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=790&bih=377&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Any input is appreciated..

Thanks Petals !! I replied without reading your post.

Melbourne Dental School,

The University of Melbourne,

4th Floor, 720 Swanston Street,

Carlton, 3053, Victoria

Its part of the University of Melbourne and being in Carlton is very close to the city centre.

Accommodation in this area is pricey and mainly consists of apartments and town houses, town houses being the more expensive option.

Carlton is in the City of Melbourne

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx you should be able to find out all about schools etc from this site.

Realestate.com.au or Domain.com.au will give you an idea of the property and rentals.

Metlink.com.au is our public transport site and will give you the tram and train routes and also the neighbouring suburbs on the transport routes.

Being right in the city it is a popular area with academics and business people whether its safe is dependent on us personally as in any large city.

Melbourne is a very multicultural city and the vision of blond aus is not really apparent that much around the city anymore.

Good luck.

Again I replied without reading your post.Thank You

Carlton is lovely but as Petals said, is quite pricey, especially if you need somewhere with space for your kids. If you use realestate.com.au you can put in carlton as the suburb and then click "include surrounding suburbs" so you get more options a bit further out. I like Richmond/Abbotsford and they are family friendly too (Richmond is a lot busier than Abbotsford though).

We don't have a car - we use http://www.flexicar.com.au when we need one, and use it every weekend to go to the supermarket, etc.

Guest auzsci
Great to see you AuzSci

Really pleased your validation trip went well and you are looking forward to the move.

Vicky

Thanks Vicky! Hope you have managed to organise things for your move. I read a few posts here about that! I'm dreading the day when I have to start organising things for the big move. Really have to start de-cluttering from now on. I think we have too many unwanted stuff that we hardly ever use! :biglaugh:

Guest VickyMel
Thanks Vicky! Hope you have managed to organise things for your move. I read a few posts here about that! I'm dreading the day when I have to start organising things for the big move. Really have to start de-cluttering from now on. I think we have too many unwanted stuff that we hardly ever use! :biglaugh:

I hated the decluttering to start with - all those things we had hung onto (but never used :laugh:). Now I love it - our flat is starting to look tidy(ish) again and we stand around looking at it saying we really must try to keep the rubbish down at our next place (yeah like that will happen).

We are currently in the process of selling things that are saleable.

Guest ljdj

Hi Guys

I have been offered a job at a mental health clinic in Perth but recently interviewed for a position in Melbourne. Have heard they are getting my refs so am seeing this as a positive sign. Not sure on what visa they have in mind but assuming 457 whereas Perth job ENS121 so if I do get offered this job too there will be lots of decisions to make.

Wanted to say hi as we may be moving to Melboure this year if that's what we decide!

Would be nice to get to know some people in the same boat and from reading through this post, this would seem a good place to start

Laura and nick :)

Guest Scotinaus
Hi Guys

I have been offered a job at a mental health clinic in Perth but recently interviewed for a position in Melbourne. Have heard they are getting my refs so am seeing this as a positive sign. Not sure on what visa they have in mind but assuming 457 whereas Perth job ENS121 so if I do get offered this job too there will be lots of decisions to make.

Wanted to say hi as we may be moving to Melboure this year if that's what we decide!

Would be nice to get to know some people in the same boat and from reading through this post, this would seem a good place to start

Laura and nick :)

Hope you find out soon! I am in Melbourne and it's a wonderful place!! Let us

know how you go.

• 4 weeks later...
Just had our visa granted!!!! Now starting to look at where to live, work etc!!!! So much to think about and decide upon. Hoping to make the move in October!!!!

Congrats on the visa.

October is a good time to move. Nice weather, but not too hot. Gives you a chance to get used to it.

Also a good time if you have kids. They can settle into schools and make friends before the summer holidays stary at the end of December.

Guest Frenglish

Hey there everyone :biggrin:

Wow there are so many people making the move to Melbourne! My partner and I actually fly out on saturday- so soon! :eek: It's been abit of a whirlwind as my partner got offered the job 2months ago starting asap (but we each had to work our 2months notice). So here we are, in the last few days before the big move! So just thought (after following for while) that I'd drop in and say hi! Everyone on here sounds so lovely and it's great to listen to people talking about the same situations that we're in- we've also been having the 'Ahhhhh where are we going to live???!' issues! My partner's company (our sponsors) have set us up with a hotel at first so at least we have a bed :SLEEP:And hopefully when we're there we'll get going to all these inspections! (And inbetween probably a short stay accomodation if the appartment wars is not going well!)

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to hearing any advice/people's news :biggrin:

Laura

HI

Myself, my husband and daughter 2yrs will be moving to melbourne in 2 weeks. I am being sponsered and my job will be based in the cbd. My employeer will sort a short stay appartment for us so allow us time to look for somewhere to live.

Really nervous and excited at the same time.

I will probably be travelling to work by bus or train\tram so don't want too far to travel each day. decisions decisions!

Flights booked for 4th October. Went online and looked at skyscanner and travelup and got some really good prices for the tickets. Then I phoned up dial-a-flight who were extremely helpful. They gave me info on each of the airlines, their ratings, bagage allowance for each one etc. They explained that the prices you get online from certain websites are the lowest fares for that day but not whether any of those seats are still available. I found out the ones I wanted weren't available as they were looking directly at the airline. I am now flying out with the family on Malaysian Airlines and I even got to pick which seats I wanted. If in doubt speak to someone in person.

Guest VickyMel

We are now officially homeless and jobless having finished work, had the removals in to take everything away and moved out of our flat on the 30th June.

We fly to Melbourne on Qantas on the 26th July. We thought the break at this end would be good relaxation after getting everything sorted but I am ready to come now and want to get started on our new life in Melbourne.

Vicky

• 3 weeks later...
Guest VickyMel

Sold my car a couple of days ago, closed my bank account.

We fly Tuesday next week, and hurray hurray I have an interview on Friday (I will hopefully be semi-with it after the flight and jet lag!)

Excited, terrified, can't wait.

Vicky

Guest jaffarms
Sold my car a couple of days ago, closed my bank account.

We fly Tuesday next week, and hurray hurray I have an interview on Friday (I will hopefully be semi-with it after the flight and jet lag!)

Excited, terrified, can't wait.

Vicky

Hey Vicky, All the best buddy, do well in your interview...

Cheers

Jaffar

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Vicky

How are you getting on?

I now have a job :biggrin: - at one of the universities in Melbourne (won't say which one on here as you never know who may be lurking....!! Can't believe it - it was my first interview via video conference, and there were quite a few technical hitches!

Start work on the 23/10...arriving Melbs around the 13/10....

Counting down the 52 days til we fly...

Hope everyone elses plans are going well x

Archived