Moving to Victoria 2011?

cornish78

I've noticed someone has started a thread for Canberra, so thought I'd start one for Victoria...

Anyone else planning to move to Victoria this year?

We're heading to Melbourne in October - flights leave on the 4th, will be in Melbourne from the 17th (spending some time in Sydney and down the coast beforehand).

Would be good to get in touch with others doing the same

Maddie x

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Maddie, we too are thinking of moving to Melbourne, but it will be next year, as my children have started their GCSEs now and I want them to get some exams behind them just in case we dont settle and have to come back to UK (hope we dont though).

Have you any ideas on where you are going to settle, ive been doing lots of research and am looking around the Eltham area.

Will be lovely to keep in touch.

Debbie

x

Just noticed your other half are in IT also, my hubby is an Infrastructure Architect, so we have something in common, lol.

Hi Debbie

We're unsure about areas just yet - we've got 2 weeks 'holiday' accommodation booked in the CBD when we arrive and then who knows...! We'd like to have an easy-ish commute to the CBD (hoping we might have jobs there), and close to some cafes/restaurants but other than that no real idea. We'll need to find somewhere pretty quick in that two weeks...

Have you been out there on a reccie? I went 10 years ago so no doubt all has changed since then...my OH has never been! He's willing to give it a go :)

Yes lets keep in touch!

Maddie x

Hi Maddie

Yes we have done a reccie, June 10, went for two weeks with the kids. We went to Sydney as we have friends there and spent some time with them as well as doing the usual sight seeing etc.

Things have changed recently for us though, my eldest daughter, who is not on our visa and was never coming with us, has just had a baby (well she is 6 months), she is now thinking of joining us and coming over on a student visa and studying in oz, something she gave up here two years into a degree and regrets it now.

This is why we are now having to look at Melbourne, student fees are so expensive, but Melbourne seems to be the cheapest for the area she is looking at.

Eltham and surroundings areas is rated on here as a nice area to live and is only about 40 mins on the train into the CBD for hubby. Im trying to persuade him to come over for a couple of weeks this august and look around Melbourne, but at the moment he is having none of it cos we spent £8k last June on our reccie, I suppose I can understand him not really wanting to spend more money but I think I need to see a place before I actually move there.

What line of work are you in here. Im a Bursar in a secondary school, really love my job and will be upset to leave, (dont think many people can say that, lol).

Speak again soon.

Debbie

x

Hello everyone, just thought I would join in.. Lol

Me and my hubby Mark and our girls Yasmin and Ellie are moving to point cook at the end of may. We are all very excited and a little nervous. but looking forward to starting our new life. Am a hairdresser and Mark work in IT.. Girls are 9 and 7 so will go in to school once we get sorted.

Wishing everyone well xx

Hi, your more than welcome to join in.

Another IT person, is it only IT people that move to Melbourne then, lol.

Good luck with your move down under in May and will follow your progress.

Is hubby looking to get a job before you get there or just look on arrival.

Debbie

x

Hi

We are a family of 5 moving to melbourne in early June-

Not sure on what area we will settle in but hope to get a "feel" for an area when we arrive.

We will stay for 4 weeks in short term rental first.

Oh is a sec school teacher in Math and special needs so hopeful that she will get a job asap.

3 kids 10,8 and 3 so we will be busy.

Hope to meet up with everyone on a pio outing when we arrive.

Looking forward to the move!!!

Guest rjh2468

Hello there, im new to this thing but hopefully you all can make me feel welcome and give me some advice.

For many years ive been looking to move to Melbourne, perhaps around 2012 time. (as i need to finish my education first)

I wish to take up a career in acting when im there and hopefully get on a show like Neighbours (stupid I know)

However, I would like advice from you guys on how to plan things and also what to do financially (id like to live in the suburbs area)

All your advice will be welcome, as I hope you can help me greatly in achieving my dream (:

Get back soon!

Many Thanks

Reece

Glad to see we're not the only ones then..!!

Debbie - I'm an admin manager at a university so hoping to get a similar role at one of the unis over there, there are quite a few around the Melbourne area.

MarkandSharon - we've been looking at Point Cook - some really nice houses and you seem to get quite a lot for your money. Just a bit worried it might be a bit too far out for us, but looking forward to checking it out.

Looking forward to meeting you all one day - just wish we were now going a bit earlier than October...(249 days to be precise :biggrin:

Hello there, im new to this thing but hopefully you all can make me feel welcome and give me some advice.

For many years ive been looking to move to Melbourne, perhaps around 2012 time. (as i need to finish my education first)

I wish to take up a career in acting when im there and hopefully get on a show like Neighbours (stupid I know)

However, I would like advice from you guys on how to plan things and also what to do financially (id like to live in the suburbs area)

All your advice will be welcome, as I hope you can help me greatly in achieving my dream (:

Get back soon!

Many Thanks

Reece

Not sure where acting fits in terms of visas - but I[m sure someone on the Migration forum would be able to help - perhaps Neighbours will sponsor you :wink:

Guest VickyMel

Hi guys

Great idea for a thread Maddie

We are hoping that we will be moving to Victoria sometime in 2011.

No plans or ideas of where we will be staying etc - all depends on work, but likely to be reasonably close to Melbourne for work.

Will be great to get to know others going to Victoria.

Vicky

Hi Guys

Well we will be leaving for Melbourne on the 7th Feb, to say i was a little bit excited would be an understatment, We have a holiday rental in St Kilda but wanting to settle in the point cook area fingers crossed, loved it when we went for a reccie last year. OH is a heating ventalation air con engineer and me I am an Admin Assisitant so fingers crossed we will get work, My 20yr Daughter is also coming with us.

Just want to wish u all happy moving as many people have said it all comes together in the end no matter how stressed u get.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

GOOD LUCK ALL

XXXXX

Hi, your more than welcome to join in.

Another IT person, is it only IT people that move to Melbourne then, lol.

Good luck with your move down under in May and will follow your progress.

Is hubby looking to get a job before you get there or just look on arrival.

Debbie

x

Hi Debbie

No Mark doesn't have a job to go to unless things change before we leave!! His hoping to get in touch with a few people now we have a visa. Or if not he will hopefully find something when we get there...

Fingers crossed anyway . X

Guest rjh2468

Haha

im still looking for a job out there, I just hope to enroll in an acting class while im there working (:

may i ask how you apply for visas and things, do I need to contact the embassy

hopefully you keep in touch, and update us all on life in Melbourne (:

Reece

Guest KimSkelton

Hi I'm Kim and Hubby is Andrew, we have an 18month daughter,

We are waiting for our house to sell then we are off to Melbourne-not sure which area yet, we were thinking of Mornington Peninsula area:confused:.

Andrew is a bricklayer-myself a Community Link Worker, really hoping Andrew gets a job offer b4 we go, so we can have an idea of whereabouts to go.

Has anyone got any views or advice on Mornington Peninsula area??

Hope to meet some of you soon :wink:

Kim and Andrew xx

Hey Cornish

We are moving to point cook at the end of may, it's seems to tick all the boxes for ya. We have found somewhe to stay for 3 weeks and hope to find a rental within that time.

We are 34 and 35, with two girls aged 7 and 9 . Girls a really into there sports. Am a hairdresser and Mark works in IT .

Would be lovely to meet up. Xxx

Glad to see we're not the only ones then..!!

Debbie - I'm an admin manager at a university so hoping to get a similar role at one of the unis over there, there are quite a few around the Melbourne area.

MarkandSharon - we've been looking at Point Cook - some really nice houses and you seem to get quite a lot for your money. Just a bit worried it might be a bit too far out for us, but looking forward to checking it out.

Looking forward to meeting you all one day - just wish we were now going a bit earlier than October...(249 days to be precise :biggrin:

Hi Debbie

We're unsure about areas just yet - we've got 2 weeks 'holiday' accommodation booked in the CBD when we arrive and then who knows...! We'd like to have an easy-ish commute to the CBD (hoping we might have jobs there), and close to some cafes/restaurants but other than that no real idea. We'll need to find somewhere pretty quick in that two weeks...

Have you been out there on a reccie? I went 10 years ago so no doubt all has changed since then...my OH has never been! He's willing to give it a go :)

Yes lets keep in touch!

Maddie x

Hi there

We arrrived in Melbourne 3 weeks ago, and everything is going great so far. Like you Maddie I have been here before about 7 years ago and my OH has never been before. we also sepnt some time in sydney and coast before we made our way down. He is really enjoying it and is especially enjoying the atmosphere at work, he works for the same company as he did in the UK but can't quite believe how different it is, BBQ at lunchtime today : ) lucky sod. We also stayed in the CBD for a couple of weeks until we found our house, it can be quite tricky looking for a place as there is a lot of competition for good properties, be prepared to view lots.

If there is anything can help you with, just give me a shout.

take care

martina

Hi there

We arrrived in Melbourne 3 weeks ago, and everything is going great so far. Like you Maddie I have been here before about 7 years ago and my OH has never been before. we also sepnt some time in sydney and coast before we made our way down. He is really enjoying it and is especially enjoying the atmosphere at work, he works for the same company as he did in the UK but can't quite believe how different it is, BBQ at lunchtime today : ) lucky sod. We also stayed in the CBD for a couple of weeks until we found our house, it can be quite tricky looking for a place as there is a lot of competition for good properties, be prepared to view lots.

If there is anything can help you with, just give me a shout.

take care

martina

Hi Martina

Sounds like you are settling well!

Do you have any recommendations for places to stay on the coast on the way? Have been doing some research and quite like the look of Merimbula, Lakes Entrance and Wilsons Prom. Also hoping to find a good winery or two :wacko:

How long did it take you to find a property? We're hoping to find somewhere in 2 weeks (that's how long we've got some temp accom booked for)

Hope you've had a nice day in the sun!

Maddie

Hello everyone, just thought I would join in.. Lol

Me and my hubby Mark and our girls Yasmin and Ellie are moving to point cook at the end of may. We are all very excited and a little nervous. but looking forward to starting our new life. Am a hairdresser and Mark work in IT.. Girls are 9 and 7 so will go in to school once we get sorted.

Wishing everyone well xx

Hi Mark & Sharon, we're planning on a move to Point Cook after 21st June when eldest daughter finishes her GCSEs. Other daughter is 11 and also into her sport etc. Are your girls going to go to Point Cook College? We don't have flights booked yet, as still waiting to sell the house, but really hope to be there asap. I'm a school exams officer/administrator and OH is an electrician. Might see you there! Tracey (& Simon)

Hi ya

Tracey and Simon. Yasmin is 9 and Ellie 7 so think it will be point cook primary not sure as I have heard they go back a year!! They both love there sports. You won't be far behind us then !! You getting excited we are but the nerves are staring to kick in now!! Lol . Am a hairdresser and Mark works in IT . Fingers crossed we are both hoping to gets jobs. We love the look of point cook. Would be great the meet up. We are hoping to book flights very soon. We are using John Mason for shipping . We are hoping to fly out around the 20th may . All very exciting now just not looking forward to the goodbyes. Where do you live now xx

Xx

Mark & Sharon, we're planning on a move to Point Cook after 21st June when eldest daughter finishes her GCSEs. Other daughter is 11 and also into her sport etc. Are your girls going to go to Point Cook College? We don't have flights booked yet, as still waiting to sell the house, but really hope to be there asap. I'm a school exams officer/administrator and OH is an electrician. Might see you there! Tracey (& Simon)

Tracey and Simon. Yasmin is 9 and Ellie 7 so think it will be point cook primary not sure as I have heard they go back a year!! They both love there sports. You won't be far behind us then !! You getting excited we are but the nerves are staring to kick in now!! Lol . Am a hairdresser and Mark works in IT . Fingers crossed we are both hoping to gets jobs. We love the look of point cook. Would be great the meet up. We are hoping to book flights very soon. We are using John Mason for shipping . We are hoping to fly out around the 20th may . All very exciting now just not looking forward to the goodbyes. Where do you live now xx

Hi Mark & Sharon, we're planning on a move to Point Cook after 21st June when eldest daughter finishes her GCSEs. Other daughter is 11 and also into her sport etc. Are your girls going to go to Point Cook College? We don't have flights booked yet, as still waiting to sell the house, but really hope to be there asap. I'm a school exams officer/administrator and OH is an electrician. Might see you there! Tracey (& Simon)

Guest ezzybee

Hi all or should I say G'Day!!

Am moving to Pakenham in 1 week, well flights are one week away arrive Melbourne airport on Saturday 12 Feb! We are staying in Pakenham for 3 months then the hope is to settle in Berwick!

Scarey and excited all at the same time!

Partner has to go a week early so he has just landed! I have to do the journey from Heathrow to Melbourne with my 10 year old and 3 year old!! Yes wish me luck now!!!!

Well if anyone out there in the same boat let me know! My 10 year old son is desprate for some friends!!!!!

See you all in Oz soon!!!

Archived