Moving to Victoria 2011?

cornish78

I'm really actually quite scared now! We are probably going to want a small one/two bedroom flat to start with as my teenagers are staying here to finish their GCSE's and are coming out next Summer. But I don't know anything about Melbourne.

Do most people commute into East Melbourne for work, is it part of the CBD? Is it like London and I can get a combined travel card to travel?

It would be really nice to meet up once we get there as because we were moving to Perth we have no friends or relatives in Melbourne, so will be very much on our own!

where in East Melbourne is hubby working?

Melbourne is a big sprawling city which takes over 2 hours to get from one side to the other.

If he is working on the Eastern side, there are plenty of very nice suburbs further out (the closer to the CBD, the higher the house prices/rental prices)

There are regular meet ups once the weather improves (soon) and we are all very friendly people over here, so i'm sure there will be a few offers of a cuppa or a glass of wine.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Attwell99

Great to be one of the lucky ones moving to Melbourne....

I need a little advise on areas to live from those experienced ones among you.

I was originally going to be based in the Newport area for work and had my eye on Sanctuary lakes, but now I will be based in the Craigieburn area for work and have done very little research of this area, and where is going to be good to live with my wife and 17 month daughter.

I have a budget of about $500pw and can stretch $100 or so for the right place. I can use the train or drive, so just need some insight of where is nice and friendly yet not to remote that my wife feels isolated. We would like 4 beds as we will have an abundance of family and friends visiting.

I look forward to hearing from you all on your views and recommendations.

Guest AllieJ
where in East Melbourne is hubby working?

Melbourne is a big sprawling city which takes over 2 hours to get from one side to the other.

If he is working on the Eastern side, there are plenty of very nice suburbs further out (the closer to the CBD, the higher the house prices/rental prices)

There are regular meet ups once the weather improves (soon) and we are all very friendly people over here, so i'm sure there will be a few offers of a cuppa or a glass of wine.

Hi there

It looks like Victoria Street, East Melbourne. I dont have a job yet (another thing I have to do when we get there!) so no idea where to start looking for accommodation.

AJ

Richmond can be very nice - brilliant Vietnamese restaurants (Oh how I miss Loi Loi!!) and easy to get places, but you won't get big gardens etc like you would further out if that's what you're after - it really depends what you're looking for!

If you plug the address of the place into Google-maps you can find the nearest train station etc and work from there to find what train stations are closest (or what tram routes).

http://www.viclink.com.au/

This is the link to the PT site which can help you figure out what might be do-able. From East Melbourne you really could live almost anywhere - it really is very central :)

Good luck - and ask away with any questions!

Guest AllieJ
BTW - if it's East Melbourne rather than Richmond, then it's probably Victoria Parade rather than Victoria St - it changes names (and becomes much smaller) pretty much as it crosses Hoddle St :)

It's actually near Nicholson Street, on Google maps that looks like it is still Victoria Street and it looks like a tram stop near which would be so cool! But I cant see where the tube or train stops are.

That's a great spot for PT!! There are tram stops all along there.

If it's near St Vincents & Carlton Gardens, it's a very easy walk down to Parliament Station (Corner Spring & Bourke St) - maybe 8 minutes MAX. PT tickets are combined, so you can jump on a tram and then a train for no extra cost :)

Best of all Parliament Station is on 'the loop' which connects to pretty much all the train lines so you can pretty much take your pick of areas to live in :)

Guest AllieJ

Ill suppose Ill have to wait till I get there and see what is available to rent! Im just trying to book my shipping now and I though the visa process was complex!! :) getting more excited by the day though, especially since it's pouring with rain here in Brighton!

Ill suppose Ill have to wait till I get there and see what is available to rent! Im just trying to book my shipping now and I though the visa process was complex!! :) getting more excited by the day though, especially since it's pouring with rain here in Brighton!

Blue skies in Canterbury atm, but I know what you mean about movers - just make sure to get lots of quotes and have a proper list of exactly what you want to go (preferably printed off so you can give it to them).

It's amazing how they don't listen when you say 'We're NOT taking that...'

lol & Good luck!

Guest VickyMel

Hi AJ

I don't know many of the suburbs as have only just got here - but my OH is working in the CBD. What we did was look at the train lines that went near his work place and worked out from there to get a reasonable commute within zone 1. There is limited parking at my OHs job so train is the best option for him.

(There are 2 zones 1 & 2) if you travel in both zones you pay more so it made sense to us to stay within the zone - although you can get more house for your money further out which may make it worthwhile depending what you want.

http://www.realestate.com.au/

http://www.domain.com.au/

were useful - from those I went to the agents sites.

We had no problem with competition with the application (2 bed flat) and could even squeeze some of the 12 month rentals down to 6 months when we asked.

Good luck with the packing!

Vicky

Guest AllieJ

Thanks Vicky, that's very helpful. What's Melbourne like overall - are you going to look for work too? My OH has a job but I'm going to have to start looking as soon as I get there.

I think Melbourne is great and friendly (but I'm a native so will obviously be biased!)

Check out www.theage.com.au

It's one of Melbourne's newspapers and it can give you lots of ideas about gigs and restaurants etc, should give you an idea of what's going on in Melbourne. I use it all the time to keep in touch with stuff back home :)

Melbourne takes it's coffee and food very seriously - it's also very arty and has a GREAT jazz scene

Hi all - visa approved, OH job sorted - will all be out in Melbourne together December 29th ( he is initially going in 5 weeks to get everything ready and start job). Eeek. Feel free to PM me if you would like to meet up in the new year. We have a daughter, 2, Olivia. I won't be working for a while, I'm a teacher by trade but a bit tired of it so looking for something new and exciting! Everyone was lovely when I posted my dilemma about telling mum (who hasn't stopped crying since I told her) so looking forward to meeting folk too!

Guest Attwell99

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help me to get a copy of the AJS Publishing living in Melbourne ebook that is available. We did buy it online but it was never received. We have emailed them but get no reply and would love to have a copy to read before moving over.

Really hoping someone can help.....

Regards

Neil & Debbie

Just spotted this. We probably won't be going for a while yet but I wanted to tag this thread as I'll be glad of a few friendly faces down under when it's our turn. That'll give me time to work out what facebook is as I still haven't used it!!

Guest stevo2011

Hi every one myself,Gemma and our 3 year old lex left the Uk 6 months for our new life down under we have been living in adelaide for 5 months and really like the lifestile. we have now been given the opertunity to move to melbourne for work purposes. and will hopefully arrive at the end of october, we did a reccie over there a few weeks ago to get some idea were we are going to settle as my employment is in tullamarine we looked at point cook being aprox 20/30mins away.

Could anyone point us in the right direction as to were we could settle preferably with a few poms close pluss pubs and good pre schools.

Stevo

Guest CarolynYeoman

Hi there. We are planning to move to Melbourne just after Christmas. I have a Consultancy job in the CBD and my hubby will look for work once we arrive. We have 3 kids, 13 (girl), 10 (boy) and 7 (boy). Our Daughter was mad keen on the move at first but is now less than keen to go, so going through a rough patch at the moment. Sure it will all be worth it once we get there though. We are in complete confusion about where to live, schools etc. so any help or advice would be great.

Thanks.

Carolyn :)

Guest CarolynYeoman

Hi. I too purchased this book online and it took me ages to realise that they don't actually send you a hard copy of the book. In the confirmation e-mail they send you a link to their site and you have to download the book as a pdf and then either read it on your computer or print it off (it is very long). Bit of a con really. Hope this helps.

Carolyn

Archived