Moving to Victoria 2011?

cornish78

Guest VickyMel

Hi

Just popping in every now and then everything is so hectic here - been here 2.3 weeks.

Congratulations on getting the job. I failed an interview at a Melbourne Uni 2 days after arrival (well only a few hours sleep in 3 days it was no wonder).

OH has a job (same day as my interview but he had slept) - we almost have a short term (6 month) flat sorted. Hopefully will get a car this week. Staying with friends has been really useful to give us the time to look around.

I will start concentrating on jobs again once we have moved in and are a bit more settled. But with one of us employed the pressure is off a bit.

Good luck getting things sorted ready for the move.

Vicky

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Finally feeling confident enough to post on this thread! - We are (fingers crossed) moving to Bendigo on a 457 visa soon, still waiting for it to be granted....

Sarah

Guest VickyMel

Hi Sarah

Welcome, in my job seeking web bookmarks I had the Bendigo skills web site automatically come up each time. It has a voice over that always says something along the lines of how it has the most days of sunshine in Victoria.

Hope your visa comes through soon

Vicky

hi Vicky

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to getting there. Will check out that website as I will need to get a job too when we get there!

Sarah

Guest jaffarms
Hi Sarah

Welcome, in my job seeking web bookmarks I had the Bendigo skills web site automatically come up each time. It has a voice over that always says something along the lines of how it has the most days of sunshine in Victoria.

Hope your visa comes through soon

Vicky

Vicky, could you please check the PM.

Regards

Jaffar

Guest AllieJ

Hi there

We are moving to Melbourne in late October/early November. We came over in April but only went to Sydney and Perth as we thought we were going to be living in Perth. However OH has had a possible job offer in Melbourne so we are going there instead! I'm really nervous about the move as I don't know Melbourne at all. Would love some advice and tips. Just trying to sort out the shipping at the moment if you have any recommendations?

My OH is a development manager and I am an IT project manager/account director so I'm also going to be looking for work. I'm half excited, half terrified! :)

A x

Hi there

We are moving to Melbourne in late October/early November. We came over in April but only went to Sydney and Perth as we thought we were going to be living in Perth. However OH has had a possible job offer in Melbourne so we are going there instead! I'm really nervous about the move as I don't know Melbourne at all. Would love some advice and tips. Just trying to sort out the shipping at the moment if you have any recommendations?

My OH is a development manager and I am an IT project manager/account director so I'm also going to be looking for work. I'm half excited, half terrified! :)

A x

Welcome,

Lots more people on here to give you advice on Melbourne that are better informed than me. Where are you moving from?

Sarah

Guest AllieJ
Welcome,

Lots more people on here to give you advice on Melbourne that are better informed than me. Where are you moving from?

Sarah

Hi Sarah

We are moving from Brighton (UK), although apparently Brighton Melbourne is supposed to be really nice too!

The more I think about the move, the more 'terrified' I am :)

A :unsure:

Guest Roisin

Me and my boyfriend are moving out to Melbourne before the end of the year. We are not quite sure yet of our exact dates but he reckons it will be in the next month or two.

Roisin

Hi all

I'm counting down the 48 days :) - really can't wait.

Good to see more people joining the post - hope we can all meet up at some point...

If anyone wants to get in touch via facebook then feel free to PM me.

AllieJ - I've gone through the terrified stage and now on the REALLY EXCITED stage....:biglaugh:

Guest julietarz

Hi all

This is my first post on PIO but I have been following it for a couple of years!

We (me, hubby, daughter aged 12 and son aged 10) are moving to Melbourne at the end of October-we arrive on the 30th.

Staying in Mornington for the first few weeks while we look for somewhere more permanent.

Still going through the stages of being scared/excited/scared/excited. Will be alot happier once we exchange contracts on our house-which should be any day now if things don't go wrong!

Would be great to meet up with people once we arrived. Good luck everyone.

Tara

Guest VickyMel

Hi Tara

We have been in staying with friends just outside Frankston for a few weeks. Took a trip up to Mornington last week.

I'm loving the big skys and walked along the beach when we had a very small hour of time to spare.

Moving closer to the city tomorrow into a flat. For those of you looking we actually found it relatively competition free re other applicants - but we were only looking at 2 bed flats I don't know if houses are harder. Saw a number of flats whilst looking at different areas. Then 5 flats in 2 days in one area - of those we applied for 2 (becasue we thought we might not be lucky) and got both (one confirmed we were approved the day we applied the other 2 days later) one would even have let us rent for just 6 month - but we wanted the one that stuck to a 12 months lease.

Can recommend looking at the agencies in areas you are interested in.

Vicky

Guest julietarz

Hi Vicky

Sounds great and thanks for the advice.

We have been looking at Frankston South, Seaford etc as possible places to live. Good news about your flat hunting.

Good luck with your move tomorrow, hope all goes well.

Tara

Hi All,

Would like to join in....

We've just got our visa granted and are going to visit Melbourne in Feb 2012 for a reccie....

I am hoping to look at a few areas south east of Melbourne, Bentleigh/Bentleigh East, McKinnon and Mentone area? Any advice/information about these areas would be much appreciated!

I thought the paperwork applying was a stress, but i think the real stress is only beginning....

Hope fully it will be all worth it, can't wait to get there and have a look...

Thankyou

cpm:chatterbox:

Guest wayward

Hi, we are moving over in Octoberish depending on how house sale progresses.

Anyone moving to the Dandanong Ranges? we will be starting out near Belgrave.

Lisa

Hi there

A x

Melbourne is fabulous!!!!! (But i'm a soon to be returning native so am biased)

Great food, cafes, gardens etc.

When do you fly? I'm heading out on 23/10 and OH comes on 8/11 - it'll be great!!

Hi, we are moving over in Octoberish depending on how house sale progresses.

Anyone moving to the Dandanong Ranges? we will be starting out near Belgrave.

Lisa

My Mum & Dad live in Mount Dandenong, OH and I will be staying with them until I either kill them or am committed to a mental institution ....

It's a great place, so beautiful - and sooooooo different to the UK.

Just don't be freaked out by the mating call of a possum. I promise it's not a giant killer creature, just sounds like it!

Guest Andy and Linda

Hi

We are moving to Melbourne in 10 days, can't wait!!! We will stay with some friends in Altona until we will find an apartment in Brunswick area. We want to live nearby the city centre the first 12 months to experience the city life:wink:

Looking forward to meeting up soon !! :biggrin:

Linda and Andy

Guest AllieJ
Melbourne is fabulous!!!!! (But i'm a soon to be returning native so am biased)

Great food, cafes, gardens etc.

When do you fly? I'm heading out on 23/10 and OH comes on 8/11 - it'll be great!!

Hi there

We are just booking flights now but are going to see friends in the States first. I guess we will land in Melbourne in mid November. My partner has an interview in East Melbourne but I have no idea of the nice areas to live! I am really arriving blind as we were originally going to Perth and have done all our research and visiting there!

Do you have any suggestions on nice areas, or areas to avoid renting, thanks

AJ

If your hubby gets the job in East Melbourne is easy to get to by PT (public transport), so you could easily live anywhere on the Greensborough/Hurstbridge or Belgrave/Lilydale train lines - and the other lines wouldn't be much more difficult. This would be much cheaper than living in East Melbourne!!

A lot depends on what you want from where you live - further out is usually cheaper, and there are posh bits and dodgy bits all over (more posh bits out East though).

If you've got good friends there already, then consider how often you'd like to visit them - would it help you settle in if you're closer or further away from them?

If you give me a wish-list and I'll see what my memory tells me - but I'm an Eastern suburbs girl, so will almost certainly be biased!

Guest VickyMel

AJ

One thing to consider is trying to stay within just a single zone with regards to transport if that suits a place you want to live and if your OH is going to use public transport to and from work.

Vicky

Guest AllieJ

I'm really actually quite scared now! We are probably going to want a small one/two bedroom flat to start with as my teenagers are staying here to finish their GCSE's and are coming out next Summer. But I don't know anything about Melbourne.

Do most people commute into East Melbourne for work, is it part of the CBD? Is it like London and I can get a combined travel card to travel?

It would be really nice to meet up once we get there as because we were moving to Perth we have no friends or relatives in Melbourne, so will be very much on our own!

Archived