Moving to Victoria 2011?

cornish78

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VickyMel
Hi all were hoping to move to melbourne 2012 just got state nomination so in the process of applying for the 176 visa. Theres been a few areas suggested on here that ill look into but anyone got any idea on rental charges? we have no jobs to come too so trying to estimate how much captail we need to sustain ourselves intially!

Congrats on the SS, welcome to PIO and this thread.

I used the places supa has suggested as well to estimate our costs.

I had been looking at SEEK over the previous year re jobs so knew we were most likely to be working CBD or just east of Melbourne so used those areas to look at places to rent.

Vicky

Guest Scouse Dave

Hi!!!

I am moving next month, be there on Nov 11th!!!

TBH I am bricking it, Im sure that normal.

I will be in Altona Meadows (with my sister) for the first few weeks until I get a job & find a place of my own.

So much still to sort.....

Regards

David

Hi there. You must be getting so excited!:biggrin: When did it all start happening for you guys? Whereabouts are you thinking of living?

Thankyou for the warm welcome.:hug:

Abi.xxx

Hi Abi, TBH I am scared stiff, and trying to do everything that needs to be done, and there seems to be so much, IIf I can find a buyer for the car and a tennant for the house, I will be happier!!

Sarah:notworthy:

Guest GordandAbi
Hi Abi, TBH I am scared stiff, and trying to do everything that needs to be done, and there seems to be so much, IIf I can find a buyer for the car and a tennant for the house, I will be happier!!

Sarah:notworthy:

We are also trying to sort out the house! Absolute nightmare.x I feel as though we still have time on our side though...still going through the nomination process but have to wait for our baby girls passport! The rest of us all have them so they have all of our details.

Are you flying out on your own if your hubby is already out there? I think i'm too much of a wimp to do that! lol:jiggy:

Think my hubby is starting to get cold feet about going a bit!! Got to disuade him from that. I really want a better lifestyle for our children. The families would love it if we stayed but just feel like we live to work rather than work to live. I think our babies desrve better.xxx:wubclub:

Abi.xxx

Guest Jojackandoscar

Hi Maddie, I have also moved to Victoria. Been here for 5 months, last 3 months we have been living in Kew. I don't know anyone here, I have 2 boys Jack (4) and Oscar (nearly 2). If you want to meet up when you get here drop me a line. Hope everything goes well with the move. Any advice you might need also happy to help although my knowledge only as good as what I have been told x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tappy20

Hi i am currently on the process of sending my Nursing registration and my visa as well....and im going on my own.....soo scared!! Didnt realize it would cost loadsss!!!

We are also trying to sort out the house! Absolute nightmare.x I feel as though we still have time on our side though...still going through the nomination process but have to wait for our baby girls passport! The rest of us all have them so they have all of our details.

Are you flying out on your own if your hubby is already out there? I think i'm too much of a wimp to do that! lol:jiggy:

Think my hubby is starting to get cold feet about going a bit!! Got to disuade him from that. I really want a better lifestyle for our children. The families would love it if we stayed but just feel like we live to work rather than work to live. I think our babies desrve better.xxx:wubclub:

Abi.xxx

Things are mad here, flyin gout in 10 days (yes on my own!) Packers coming next Monday, and still so much to do!

Sarah x

Eeeek :arghh:!! We've booked the removals for 14/15 Nov, but we haven't even booked our flights yet as we're waiting on our house sale to go through. Solicitors advised us not to go until we've exchanged contracts... we haven't even had the survey yet! So no date even for an exchange.

But if we don't pack up we'll be even longer in Australia without all our belongings. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cdchaplin

hi we haver booked our one way flights march 26th 2012!!! family of 4 moving to south frankston/ mornington area. i am 36 nurse, hubby 38 scaffolder and 2 girls 11 and 13 and max our doggy!! all very excited about our new adventure. in the process of looking for short term furnished rental in the area.

collette xx

The packers are here today. We fly a week today to Sydney to spend December/Christmas with family in NSW before we head to Melbourne to start our new life in January.

I'm so sad to leave all my friends and family behind. Finding it hard to focus on our wonderful new life and opportunities to come.

hello, well we made it! Arrived Thursdsy am into Melbourne. So far, so good. had a good explore, been out to a BBQ, been shopping. No shockers so far. Very relieved to see DH, though, although he had obviously forgotten hoe badly the kids sleep, he is yawning more than me!

Guest moldec1999

Hi Nicole my husband and I and twin boys will be moving to mornington in jan/feb but i'll be working in langwarrin initially. we're from wex! Will be dying to know what you think of the place!!3oth Dec great start to the new year!:biggrin:

Guest sylcaddies

Hi all

My hubby and I live in langwarrin, been here 2 years now and love the place. They call it 'Leafy Langwarrin' cos very green with lots of tree lined streets, 2 smaller shopping centers and a large one at nearby Karingal hub. Ten minutes from the beach and the new peninsula link will be accessed from langwarrin so easy commute to Melbourne or down the mornington peninsula!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! :smile:

Guest VickyMel

We were in Langwarrin for a few weeks when we first arrived - loved it. Would have loved to love there but we needed to be closer to the CBD.

Guest GMERIN53

Hi All, We are moving to Melbourne in the New Year.

Flights booked for 10th January.

Singapore Airlines, Edinburg to Heathrow, Heathrow to Singapore, Singapore to Tullamarine.

Any one else flying out on the 10th, 10PM flight?

Just about to book our short term rental in Mount Martha, a few weeks holiday before school starts then we better start looking for a longer term rental and some jobs !

So looking forward to our new life !

Guest MontyClaude
Hi All, We are moving to Melbourne in the New Year.

Flights booked for 10th January.

Singapore Airlines, Edinburg to Heathrow, Heathrow to Singapore, Singapore to Tullamarine.

Any one else flying out on the 10th, 10PM flight?

Just about to book our short term rental in Mount Martha, a few weeks holiday before school starts then we better start looking for a longer term rental and some jobs !

So looking forward to our new life !

Hey GMERIN53, I see youre an accountant. We arrived in Melbourne a month ago and started looking work about 10 days ago. I had 3 interviews last week and 2 job offers this morn! Don't stress about looking for work, there is plenty of it :) enjoy your hols, have a safe trip.

Hi,

I hope you do not mind me during the conversation, we would like to emigrate to Mornington/Mt Martha in 2012. We came in August and loved it, we have our visa and State Sponsorship for Victoria.

Since arriving home, things have not moved on, ideally because we have young children my husband would like to have a job before we go.

My husband is an electrician and at the moment we run a small Business, however it appears that his qualifications are not recognized in Australia.

We have looked at doing a course called down under traddies in England and we have put my husbands CV on the migration web site.

Any advice or help would be gratefully appreciated.

Chelle!

:chatterbox::smile:

Hi, my husband and I are flying out on 28th December with our 5 month old. Our 2 other babies (chocolate labs) are flying out on 14th December. We were lucky to get them into quarantine due to the new restrictions from 1st Jan - they are going to Sydney.

I have spoken to people on here about areas to live and it seems like Cheltenham is our best bet at the moment. We get 2 weeks temp. accomodation and are lucky to have been given the services of a relocation expert for 2 days when we arrive who will drive us around and help us to apply for a house.

The whole rental system seems quite scary at the moment as we have never rented here in the UK and know that we are limited because of the dogs.

We are looking at the southern suburbs as my husband's job is on St Kilda rather than right in the CBD so to have to commute into the city only to have to go out again seems like madness. The Sandringham and Frankston line are the best ways for him to get into work so we are focusing our search around these, although they seem to be the most expensive places!

Many people on here have mentioned Mornington and Mount Martha - I hadn't considered these areas as my hubby doesn't want a huge commute and they don't seem to be served by a trainline. Am I right here or completely off the mark? Does anyone have any idea about transport here or whether driving to St Kilda might be an option?

Very excited about the move - not so much about all of the furniture and dogs disappearing in the next couple of weeks though!

Guest VickyMel

I can tell you that the traffic going through St Kilda at peak times are pretty horrendous and if you were going any distance it would not be fun.

There are some trams going in that direction - if you go for a tram root make sure that the route has its own dedicated track (rather than in the road) as otherwise they get held up with all the traffic and can be painfully slow.

I can confirm that the Sandringham train line runs very efficiently.

We found it useful to look at the local agents in the areas we were interested - it might be worth contacting them and asking specifically about properties that allow pets - we did see some when we were looking but were few and far between. (Is it worth contacting your relocation agent prior to arrival and getting them to have a list to look at that allow pets)

Guest MontyClaude

I work on the st kilda road and don't know I there's parking or how affordable it would be. I live on the frankston line and the train to flinders from me is 40 mins and then 5 mins on the tram to st kilda road. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats (only put 1 dog on my application) and got accept straight away. If it first specify no pets then apply. It's not a cheap place to rent but it's beside the train so is good go me as we disnt want to have to buy 2 cars straight away. Best of luck with the move. Your labs will be fine in quarantine, my pets have been out a week and are in great form.

Guest stevenb

I live in Frankston South and drive up to work in St Kilda. I'm able to do earlyish day 7 till 4 - 4:30 and it takes me about an hour (bit less in the morning) each way. I reckon if i lived in Mornington (which looks great) that it would take me another 15 mins. I must admit i tried the public transport route but it took me about 1:45 each way so i'm quiet happy with the driving time.

Archived