457 processing times

Lexi

Guest Jason1967

Yeap, I paid for private medical cover. HBA (part of BUPA) basic coverage to get your visa costs about £100 a month for a family of 4. You can specify when you what the cover to start. Also, HBA (as other companies do) will send you and email letter to send to the Immigration Department to show that you are okay to enter the country. The letter takes about 5 business days from the time you purchase your insurance.

I took the basic cover, and will look at further coverage when I land in Australia.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys

Long time no post - sorry but great to see some of the old timers :-p have got their visas. My other half was one of the lucky ones and was approved in 12 days but I put this down largely to the effectiveness and good management of his employer and the agent they used.

We were informed at the time of the job offer that Health cover would be needed to apply for the 457 so this was all done in advance and we just gave an estimated day of arrival.

We used a company called IMAN and must say they were super fast and very effective etc - emailed a copy of the certificate direct to our agents.

Im guessing some of the problems with some agents may be that the Health Insurance never used to be a term of the 457 but it now is (and has been for maybe a year but i might be wrong on dates)

Hope this link helps a bit http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

Good luck you guys waiting - my other half has now been in Sydney for 6 weeks while me and the kiddies are still at home in Essex :-( Roll on August when its big decision time and then the process begins again lol

Guest Revs30

You don't need to fork out for health insurance to get a 457 visa, you can just get cheap travel insurance to cover you for a while and then get healthcare once over there, much cheaper!

Guest Jason1967
You don't need to fork out for health insurance to get a 457 visa, you can just get cheap travel insurance to cover you for a while and then get healthcare once over there, much cheaper!

......as long as you get a letter from your insurance company that states that the level of cover that you have meets the Immigration Depts requirements. There are links on the IDs website that covers these points.

Guest Revs30
......as long as you get a letter from your insurance company that states that the level of cover that you have meets the Immigration Depts requirements. There are links on the IDs website that covers these points.

Oh looks like we was lucky then as the sponsors told us to just get basic travel insurance.

Then all we did when submitting our application was to attach the email receipt from the insurance company :biggrin:

Guest Jason1967
Oh looks like we was lucky then as the sponsors told us to just get basic travel insurance.

Then all we did when submitting our application was to attach the email receipt from the insurance company :biggrin:

Nice one :biggrin: You certainly saved a few quid then.

It just shows how arbitrary this process can be. :laugh:

Guest CESCAK
Your the second one after Har00n to mention medibank.... i'm contemplating just getting a months cover with them to speed things along as i've not heard many people getting travel insurance passed by DIAC to cover them until they get Medicare....

..Do you know how much it costs for the months cover.... Its very frustrating having mentioned this to my agent before I applied....

I'm also covered by medibank . Basic cover it's 225 $ for family with one kid and you can choose the date of payment.

OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD!!!!!!!!

We got our visa's :jiggy::eek::biggrin:

I don't know which side of the process is scarier truth be told.Now we have to pack and get outta here in well....about a week!!!!!! :twitcy:

congratulations....hopefully, the Perth office are moving now and we won't be far behind you.....

try and enjoy the hectic journey now!

Guest CESCAK

I don't know which side of the process is scarier truth be told.Now we have to pack and get outta here in well....about a week!!!!!! :twitcy:

Congratulations and good luck !

WOW CONGRATULATIONS I BET YOUR OVER THE MOON!!!!!! Good luck with your new life down under.

:rolleyes:Fingers crossed for us all waiting for approval

Guest ozzietobe

Congrats!!!! :smile:

Congratulations, good luck with the move.:biggrin:

We are still waiting, no movement since medicals received 11th April. Contacted immigration and they have said in final checking stages.

Hopefully not long now

Colette

Guest tiddywiddy

hi all

have any of your going on the 457 heard that its easier to get PR when your out in Aus, as your working etc, after a year or so or have any of you got a PR via a 457?

many thanks

Congratulations, good luck with the move.:biggrin:

We are still waiting, no movement since medicals received 11th April. Contacted immigration and they have said in final checking stages.

Hopefully not long now

Colette

Hi Colette,

Did you ring or email immigration? we sent email and have had no reply.. wondering if to ring them? we have had no movement since 20th march.. getting really fed up now.. wondering if it will ever happen!...:sad:

Hi Colette,

Did you ring or email immigration? we sent email and have had no reply.. wondering if to ring them? we have had no movement since 20th march.. getting really fed up now.. wondering if it will ever happen!...:sad:

Definitely ring them!

We called our CO at 4.30am Friday morning to be told that she needed to pass it up the ladder for approval (Something about our twins and making sure they are dependants...:confused:) and that she could give no date but to be patient....yeah yeah :swoon:

At 8.20am our visa's were all approved!

Well worth a call IMO :biggrin:

I'm panicking a bit here. I was hoping to be flying out to Sydney on Saturday morning and start my new job on Monday but still haven't heard from the immigration department. The company who is sponsoring me did request a copy of my passport, a copy of the employment contract and proof of health insurance on the 12th April, so was hoping it might have been approved (or otherwise!) by now but it's been nothing but radio silence since!

I know they recommended not booking plane tickets until the visa had been approved but it was such a bargain for the flight, I couldn't not book! I'm absolutely on tender hooks at the moment as my last day at work here in Wellington is on Friday and then I'm gainfully unemployed until Australia give me a visa! Scary.

Guest Rusty10

Once lodged 457 visa turn around can be as little as 48hrs if sponsored by a large body such as Queensland Health as they have specific visa depts and have contacts. Depends how hot the company sposoring you is. It will come. Good luck.

Once lodged 457 visa turn around can be as little as 48hrs if sponsored by a large body such as Queensland Health as they have specific visa depts and have contacts. Depends how hot the company sposoring you is. It will come. Good luck.

The company I'm going to be working for is pretty small but well established (a media and technology company that's been around since the 80s) so probably don't quite have the same muscle as someone like a health board to get things moving. I guess I'll just have to be patient. I have no other choice! :)

Hi Colette,

Hi

I have e-mailed immigration again today and the company who are sponsoring me phoned immigration last week. They just said our application is in the final stages of checking, but could not say when it would be finalised, just was told 'it depends on the work load'.

Up until now our Case worker in immigration has been really helpful until now. We were hoping to be flying out 1st week of June. We do not want to put our house up for rent until our visa's have been approved, and don't want to leave until we know our house has been rented out.

So annoying, as really in limbo. Have so much to do, but do not to jinx anything. I feel exactly the same, I get so excited when I hear someone has had their visa approved on here. Thought it was going to be really straight forward.

Which part of Perth are you thinking of moving to?

Colette

11th April: Agent submitted e457 (no medicals needed)

27th April: CO and 'Processing further request for further information'

28th April: form 1023 submitted amending date on one line of the visa application

3rd May: Travel insurance and medicare letter (stating i will sign up) submitted to DIAC

....waiting and waiting.... My agent think it will be a matter of days and 10 days max at a push... she's more confidant than i am but fingers crossed she's right....

....how long do people usually find it takes once you have submitted the 'further information'??

Guest journeydownunder

Hi All,

I keep reading this thread and feeling your pain! My timeline at the mo is that my company (Fairfax media aka the Federal Capital Press of Australia) have been approved as a business (part 1). They submitted their nomination application (paper based unfortunately) sometime before the 20th April. I posted my application to them on the 21st April (they haven't received it yet but presumably all the bank holidays have held things up?) They will then forward it on to whichever office they have sent their bit to.

We have been a tad optomistic in that we have booked our flights (19th June) arriving in Sydney (following a week in Thailand) on the 28th June. Due to start work on the 4th July! I have to hand my notice in next week as well so I'm basically committed to going and we don't yet have our visa!! Eek! Apparently the average processing time is 1 months although that might be for the e457 and I had to submit paper based because of how my employer had submitted theirs so we don't have much room for error!!!

Partial saving grace is that I already have a valid WHV which I applied for as a "just in case" a week before my 31st birthday in December, BUT the OH is too old for a WHV so he is going to have to go out on a tourist visa if the 457 isn't approved in time! But then he might need to leave the country to get his 457 validated! So bloomin' complicated!!

Is there anyone out there who applied for a paper based 457? How long did you/ have you been waiting? I'm hoping that the size of the employer and the fact I'm going to be working for the Canberra Times might hold some extra weight? But I'm probably just wishful thinking!!

Keep the stories and info coming - it's nice to see other people getting their visas!!

Emma

xx

Guest Revs30

I have been following this thread for a couple of months now.

We applied for a 457 on 07/03/11 and had them (wife, myself, 2 kids) on 20/03/11.

VERY quick approval.

I do believe (personal opinion and I may be totally wrong) that it depends on who your sponsor is.

Our sponsor is the DHS in Melbourne so with it being like Local Authority here in the UK I think it was turned around quick.

Archived