Going to Canberra this year?

Guest Blim Blam

Guest MagsInCanberra
Sorry Mags I dont - I did sign up for the fortnightly updates but as yet I havent received one single email!!! - I think if you do a search in PiO you might get the update from someone. the planning is going fine. Flights are booked and we are searching high and low for short term rentals - some of them are over 4,000 AUD which is a bit much. We have seen a few short term rentals in Coppin Place in Weetangera and there is a B& B in Aranda which looks nice - more importantly i hope they have gas heating :biglaugh:

yes you'll need it , may isnt usually too bad but june is cold....i stayed in a caravan park mid june and it was freeeezzing....cant remember if i said it before but ANU accommodation website sometimes has private rentals, or gumtree canberra (google it). It is tough here though. The serviced apartments are very pricey alright!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mikka711

Hiya, been really out the loop on PIO due to house-clearing and trying to sell the house:arghh:but there seems to be a real buzz on the ACT forums atm which is fab! Great to see more info on schools and burbs too.

We're also joining the pommie exodus to Oz - aiming to arrive in Canberra in August. Good luck everyone (especially if you're trying to sell your ruddy house).

Oh and claireg best of luck with your new baby:wubclub:

Guest ralfjnr

We just got our visa through for Canberra, although State sponsorship was granted over 12 months back. We are looking around Oct 2011....

We just got our visa through for Canberra, although State sponsorship was granted over 12 months back. We are looking around Oct 2011....

Hi,Congratulations On Getting Your Visa!!!!!

We Are Waiting For Ours To Be Granted,SS Canberra! Our Meds Have Been Finalised and Police Checks Done 4th Feb 2011.

Good Luck.

Steve,Wendy+Georgia :jiggy:

If you can manage it, dont let your arrival date slip into November/December as the rental market begins to get very tight about then.

Guest MagsInCanberra

Hi Ralfjnr and SteveRobbo, congrats, could you please give me your timelines please, trying to get a feel how long i will have to wait

thanks

Mags

Guest ralfjnr

hi Mags

We logged skills etc with Vet assess in approx April 2009

Recieved state sponsoship from Canberra in approx Aug 2009

Then December 2010 we got told to send in police checks and medicals

Got the visa confirmation Feb 2011

Not sure where abouts you are in the lifecycle, but we have relatives and it took them approx 2 years from start to finish, unless your on a highly sought after skills list or have sponsorship from a company

Good Luck

Guest MagsInCanberra
hi Mags

We logged skills etc with Vet assess in approx April 2009

Recieved state sponsoship from Canberra in approx Aug 2009

Then December 2010 we got told to send in police checks and medicals

Got the visa confirmation Feb 2011

Not sure where abouts you are in the lifecycle, but we have relatives and it took them approx 2 years from start to finish, unless your on a highly sought after skills list or have sponsorship from a company

Good Luck

thanks ralfjnr,

well done, its a long ol wait isnt it?

Im in canberra and doing my sis application.

ACT ss Cook recd Nov 5 2010

176 applied Dec 8 2010

about to frontload meds and police certs, waiting and hoping!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry my last reply doesnt make sense I was replying to someone back on page 4!!!!! Im only new so forgive me.

We have just started the process Vetascess lodged since 26th jan. We were at a ACT seminar here in Dublin last weekend (I see there are a few of us Dubs on here) it was very interesting. Im looking forward to chatting and sharing info on here.

Guest MagsInCanberra
Sorry my last reply doesnt make sense I was replying to someone back on page 4!!!!! Im only new so forgive me.

We have just started the process Vetascess lodged since 26th jan. We were at a ACT seminar here in Dublin last weekend (I see there are a few of us Dubs on here) it was very interesting. Im looking forward to chatting and sharing info on here.

its a small ol world, my sis hopes to move from ashbourne!!!! good luck with the process, hardest bit so far has been skills assesment!

Guest SarahA

Hello everyone! Just found this site. I found out I was granted my Spouse Visa on New Year's Eve. My fiancee is Australian and we are moving to Canberra on 22nd June. His parents live in Page so will be looking for somewhere around there. See you there! x

Guest Blim Blam

Hi all

Not been on here for a while, things going on but good to here all the suggestions and info form people. We have booked flights on Monday, so all go ahead now, we are flying over in September. Now all the hard work begins, all exciting though.

Hi all

Not been on here for a while, things going on but good to here all the suggestions and info form people. We have booked flights on Monday, so all go ahead now, we are flying over in September. Now all the hard work begins, all exciting though.

Hi Blim Blam

Who did you book your flights with and do the rumoured cheaper migrant flights actually exist??? We are looking to book flights in the next couple of weeks, heading out around June time.

Guest Blim Blam
Hi Blim Blam

Who did you book your flights with and do the rumoured cheaper migrant flights actually exist??? We are looking to book flights in the next couple of weeks, heading out around June time.

Hiya

I looked at the migrant flights and what was quoted back was the same as online prices. I'm not sure that these flights excist, I have emailed the people and they were very vague and pretty useless. You can try direct but they don't always get the best price, just what's on the system.

We went through thetravelleruk.com in the end, a guy called Alan was really helpfull, got things sorted for us and arranged things such as bigger baggage allowance. You can get the larger allowance yourself but we just let him get it all sorted for us. We are flying with Singapore Airlines, we were quoted £1,750 for 2 adults and 1 infant when I phoned with a possible increased allowance. But Alan at the traveller got it down to £1,280 with a 9 hour stop over (we have a room for 6 hours we can sleep/shower etc for $80 Singapore) and 40kg each for me and the wife. We don't mind the short stop as it gives time for us to stretch legs and get refreshed and saved quite a lot of money.

Good luck with the flights.

Hiya

I looked at the migrant flights and what was quoted back was the same as online prices. I'm not sure that these flights excist, I have emailed the people and they were very vague and pretty useless. You can try direct but they don't always get the best price, just what's on the system.

We went through thetravelleruk.com in the end, a guy called Alan was really helpfull, got things sorted for us and arranged things such as bigger baggage allowance. You can get the larger allowance yourself but we just let him get it all sorted for us. We are flying with Singapore Airlines, we were quoted £1,750 for 2 adults and 1 infant when I phoned with a possible increased allowance. But Alan at the traveller got it down to £1,280 with a 9 hour stop over (we have a room for 6 hours we can sleep/shower etc for $80 Singapore) and 40kg each for me and the wife. We don't mind the short stop as it gives time for us to stretch legs and get refreshed and saved quite a lot of money.

Good luck with the flights.

Thanks Blim Blam, that's the cheapest I've seen so far

Greetings all, just signed up to this site and the first thread I read and have more info in these few posts than the rest of my surfing this weekend so many many thanks.

We finally received our visas on 20Jan11 and plan to fly from the UK w/c 12Sep11, so another family landing into Canberra that month :)

I have lots of questions and will firstly do some more surfing on this site and then begin to post, so an ahead of time thanks as by looking at this you will all attempt to help, its liking finding a bunch of instant friends the feeling I got when I read though this.

Guest Blim Blam
Greetings all, just signed up to this site and the first thread I read and have more info in these few posts than the rest of my surfing this weekend so many many thanks.

We finally received our visas on 20Jan11 and plan to fly from the UK w/c 12Sep11, so another family landing into Canberra that month :)

I have lots of questions and will firstly do some more surfing on this site and then begin to post, so an ahead of time thanks as by looking at this you will all attempt to help, its liking finding a bunch of instant friends the feeling I got when I read though this.

Welcome and all us new arrivals need to a meet up when we get there along with some of the expats over in Canberra. Anything you find out please pass on, it all seems a lot to think about a lot of the time.

Good luck and speak soon.

Tim

Welcome and all us new arrivals need to a meet up when we get there along with some of the expats over in Canberra. Anything you find out please pass on, it all seems a lot to think about a lot of the time.

Good luck and speak soon.

Tim

Hi,hope you don't mind me gate crashing on you guys? I will be arriving in Canberra sometime in May 2011(I hope), as I have a job to go to and they want me to start work asap! I am a Mechanic and just have to get my tool boxes shipped out before I arrive, so I can start work. I have been told it can take around 8 wks to get them there, although I am still waiting for the shipping company to get back to me?

My wife Wendy and her daughter Georgia are hoping to arrive at the end of August (house to sort out,etc 1st)

Keep in touch and it would be nice to meet up with some people who will be new in Canberra?

Steve,Wendy+Georgia :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Guest Blim Blam
Hi,hope you don't mind me gate crashing on you guys? I will be arriving in Canberra sometime in May 2011(I hope), as I have a job to go to and they want me to start work asap! I am a Mechanic and just have to get my tool boxes shipped out before I arrive, so I can start work. I have been told it can take around 8 wks to get them there, although I am still waiting for the shipping company to get back to me?

My wife Wendy and her daughter Georgia are hoping to arrive at the end of August (house to sort out,etc 1st)

Keep in touch and it would be nice to meet up with some people who will be new in Canberra?

Hi Steve

Join in, more the better, we need to stick together, lol. Which company are you using to ship things over? I've been looking at using Seven Seas World Wide for some excess baggage.

Good luck Steve with all your plans.

Tim

Guest toops

Hi Tim and Steve

Julia and Adrian here from Manchester, great to see all this activity on here. It will be nice to have some mates before we even get there. :-) We are hoping to get to Canberra in June.

Removal firms - we have had quotes from Anglo Pacific and Crown, both similar prices but we are thinking of just taking ourselves and sending extra baggage (work stuff etc).

Housing - has anyone got any clues on rentals? I have looked on all the websites but find that we can't secure one until we are there. We are up for house shares if anyone fancies that for the first few months. Axe murderers need not apply :jiggy:

How excited are us lot??? Cheers, Ju and Adrian

Hi Steve

Join in, more the better, we need to stick together, lol. Which company are you using to ship things over? I've been looking at using Seven Seas World Wide for some excess baggage.

Tim

Hi Steve

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the invite. I have contacted a couple of shipping companies, but don't seem to get a very convincing reply? One company I read on here that people said they have used Anglo Pacific International Plc, sent me a reply and didn't even give me a rough idea of the cost or time scale to get my Mechanic Tool Boxes to Canberra!!

The guy just sent me this email first

Many thanks for your enquiry for shipping effects to Australia, can you at your earliest convenience forward me a list of items for shipment so i can formulate an accurate quotation for you.

Then I got this reply when I told him what I was sending(although I didn't give any sizes of the tool boxes) so prob I didn't give the correct information and he didn't ask for the sizes in his reply!

Further to my last email, the norm for the shipment of tool boxes and tools is:

The tool boxes are practically empty due to inspections (AQIS)

The tools are cleaned to a high standard

We will crate tool boxes as understand that they are a high value item

We can ship the tool boxes as a complete item but due to the weight of each crated item you would incur heavy lift costs

Hope this basic outline of regulatory procedures helps,

Regards.

I tried to phone the office, Sat Morning as they are supposed to be there 9am-1pm,but the phone just, rang and rang and rang,no answer and no answer phone!!! Didn't fill me with confidence!

I have contacted Britannia Shipping, who seemed more helpful and are emailing me quotes this week, I hope?

Keep in touch.

Welcome to PIO.

We did our meds last Tuesday so visa grant not far off now. We are planning on coming over sometime in September or October this year. Just need to sell the house, sort out shipping, flights, etc, etc. Going to be a busy 6 months.:eek:

Hey all,

We have a guy from PSS coming to do a house survey on Friday in regard to shipping. They seem to crop up a lot even an affiliate on this forum I noticed.

We put our house on the market last Monday thinking it might take a while and had sold it by 10am Tuesday and they want to be in within 4 weeks! So not only do we need to sort out the move to Oz but a temporary one in the UK also, man this is causing me a major headache ;)

Still trying to decide where to live and what school for my daughter but it's looking like up north, got a shock in regard to house prices overall when we started looking, not going to be able to afford a house like we have now, it's all a bit like starting out in life but with the kids in tow this time lol

Archived