Going to Canberra this year?

Guest Blim Blam

not sure of anything that cheap for a short term rental. try a caravan park, it shouldnt be too cold in sept ?! i know theres one on dryandra st quite close to the city or maybe a short term private rental thro the university Housing Online - University Accommodation - ANU

good luck

Thanks MagsInCanberra. Yes you are right, it is really hard to get short term rental that cheap.

We are looking into this site: Canberra Accommodation | Furnished and Equipped Apartment Accommodation in Canberra | Government, Corporate, Contract & Temporary Accommodation is our specialty | Canberra Furnished Accommodation

We are thinking to rent for 12 weeks (3 months) which for the budget studio unit is 395/wk. Do you think this is good? it is located in Griffith.

Will it effect my job search if my address shown is a short term rental?

please advice.

Thank you :cute:

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mags - that's awesome news :)

Suzanne - good luck for the wedding :)

We were really luck with our house, the sign went up whilst we were at work last Monday, first viewer at 19:30 that night and I accepted an offer at 10:00 the following morning and they want to be in within four weeks!

So whilst we were lucky on that score we now have to figure out where to pitch our tent so to speak till Sep, not sure I can last that long at the father inlays without building a new patio if you catch my meaning ;)

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

That was quick. If we sell before we go we'll prob stay at my parents who are not best pleased with us going!

Thanks MagsInCanberra. Yes you are right, it is really hard to get short term rental that cheap.

We are looking into this site: Canberra Accommodation | Furnished and Equipped Apartment Accommodation in Canberra | Government, Corporate, Contract & Temporary Accommodation is our specialty | Canberra Furnished Accommodation

We are thinking to rent for 12 weeks (3 months) which for the budget studio unit is 395/wk. Do you think this is good? it is located in Griffith.

Will it effect my job search if my address shown is a short term rental?

please advice.

Thank you :cute:

It should be alright. You probably wont need it for 3 months as you will want to be in a longer term rental before the end of October/November if you can (rental market gets very tight around then). Your longer term rental will be cheaper for the space you get - for that you should get at least a 2 bed apartment as opposed to a bedsit. You can get yourself a post office box if you are anxious about moving or having a not so desirable address.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

That was quick. If we sell before we go we'll prob stay at my parents who are not best pleased with us going!

That's the fun part isn't it having to ask those that don't want you to go to help you get there :huh:

It should be alright. You probably wont need it for 3 months as you will want to be in a longer term rental before the end of October/November if you can (rental market gets very tight around then). Your longer term rental will be cheaper for the space you get - for that you should get at least a 2 bed apartment as opposed to a bedsit. You can get yourself a post office box if you are anxious about moving or having a not so desirable address.

thank you so much Quoll!

oh yes, getting a PO box sounds a good idea. and eliminate the mess due to moving at the beginning.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest journeydownunder

Hi All,

subject to a few negotiations, we ( me Emma 31 and Alan 34 no kids) will be arriving in Canberra at the end of June as I have a job offer with a start date of the 4th July!!

Weren't expecting to be there until next year on a 176 but this 457 opportunity kind of came out of the blue so we figure why not?!

The job is in Fyshwick so we are thinking we will live around Kingston. Have seen some lovely apartments in the $700 pwk bracket. A bit more than we had planned on but we figure what the hell!!!

Would be great to meet up with some other "Poms" when we arrive. As soon as everything is 100% we will no doubt have a gazillion questions but until we know for sure that everything is ok with the 457 we don't want to get too carried away!

Sooo nervous/ excited eek!!!

Emma & Alan

Guest Sl84844

Hi,

Are you going out to Canberra this Summer? We're going during September. Starting to get a few butterflies now! How about you?

Jayne & Steve

Guest journeydownunder
Hi,

Are you going out to Canberra this Summer? We're going during September. Starting to get a few butterflies now! How about you?

Jayne & Steve

Hi!

Yes heading out this summer (winter!!!)

At the moment it's 95% happening and until it's 100% we are trying not to get either to excited or too nervous!!! But we can't help it!! We are in the process of the 176 application but have now got the chance to get out earlier on a 457!!

It's all a bit surreal!!

What are your circumstances??

Em & Al

Guest destinationoz

Hi all

We're also hoping to be out later this year ...

Fingers crossed I loose my job here!! (I can put in for Redundancy in April so touch wood / fingers crossed I'll get it!! )

We are soooooo excited but I gotta admit - nervous too!!

So what's your new job Emma? Did you just apply on spec??

I'm going to start looking for jobs soon I think!

Re previous post - staying in Griffith - we stayed there last year for our Validation Trip ... happy to feedback if you want to PM me ...

Flights are booked!!! Now it really does seem real. We are flying out from Heathrow on Singapore Airlines on Tuesday 4th October to Sydney.

House went on the market on Friday, really hope it sells within the next 4 months but that may be a bit hopeful.

We have so much to do I really don't know where to start with it all but at least now we have a date to aim towards.

Cheers

Claire

We are leaving Manchester on 12Sep11, should be in Canberra around the 20th, need to book the actual flights but can't decide if to go Hong Kong way or may a trip to Hawaii, we need a break before we get there as we live for vacation time and will not have had one this year due to saving up, would be good to catch up once we are all there :)

Hi All,

subject to a few negotiations, we ( me Emma 31 and Alan 34 no kids) will be arriving in Canberra at the end of June as I have a job offer with a start date of the 4th July!!

Weren't expecting to be there until next year on a 176 but this 457 opportunity kind of came out of the blue so we figure why not?!

The job is in Fyshwick so we are thinking we will live around Kingston. Have seen some lovely apartments in the $700 pwk bracket. A bit more than we had planned on but we figure what the hell!!!

Would be great to meet up with some other "Poms" when we arrive. As soon as everything is 100% we will no doubt have a gazillion questions but until we know for sure that everything is ok with the 457 we don't want to get too carried away!

Emma & Alan

Congratulations. Just avoid Narrabundah and you should be OK. There are some lovely apartments on the lake in Kingston but they are pretty expensive. Kingston is one of those nice inner city hubs with some good eateries and pubs.

We are leaving Manchester on 12Sep11, should be in Canberra around the 20th, need to book the actual flights but can't decide if to go Hong Kong way or may a trip to Hawaii, we need a break before we get there as we live for vacation time and will not have had one this year due to saving up, would be good to catch up once we are all there :)

I would love a break but I don't think we will actually have any time, so much to do. May try and fit a week in the Lake District in the summer before we go, but that will be it.

There are loads of us going out Sept / October. Definitely need to organise a get together.

Have you been to HK before? Great place, loads to do and see, I was there for work but would love to go back with the family. Hawaii sounds good too though.

Claire

Guest toops

Hello all - just checking in to say hi and give a quick update. I'm part-time as from next week to try and get our lives sorted out (jeez - massive job), tentative date to go is June 13th, house up fro auction this month, packing up within the next month and dossing down with anyone that will have us in the interim.... does that sound familiar to you all??? Anyone got a rental sorted yet or are you doing it on arrival?

Looking forward to getting together in Canberra and having our own little family of friends thanks to PiO. :-)

ClaireG - Nope never been to either and both are still on my hit list of places to visit before I'm not able to travel anymore, a week in the lakes also sounds lovely and only a short hop up the motorway for us.

Toops - Part-time you lucky thing although the work you'll do at home sorting things out is likely to fill more time that work did ;) Let us know how you get on with the auction, would happily put you up but we are out in about four weeks we think as the sale is starting to move (survey was done on Fri), anyway we must meet up again very soon :)

Toops - I am on Maternity leave but trying to organise stuff with 2 kids around the house isn't easy. With regards to our short term rental, we are going to book before we arrive. Plan on staying in short term for 4 weeks whilst we look for longer term. It does seem though that we cannot book this far in advance so we will book around 3 months prior to going. You should be OK booking around now though if you are going in June.

Claire

Guest Blim Blam

Everyones plans seem to be going well, there always seems so much to do and decisions to make. TBH, it makes my head spin sometimes. Has anyone else started to count down the days, I've done one in my work diary, it helps me through the day sometimes, lol.

Haven't quite got to counting down the days yet but I think that will start once we are out of the house and living with the father in law (going to be fun!) and definitely can't do it in my work calendar yet as they still don't know as I only have one months notice.

Guest Blim Blam

Well, it's in my really paper diary, so I'm the only one who gets to see that, so should be ok. I think the count down only really began when we booked our flights.

Guest journeydownunder
Hi All,

Emma & Alan

The deal is done!!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek :jiggy:

Start my new job in Canberra on the 4th July!!!!

Will be flying out sometime mid-late June!

Who else is going out around this time?

Em & Al

Guest toops

Em & Al - at the moment, mid - end of June is our target date too. Subject to house being sold at auction next month! Once that's done we are on countdown.... how exciting. I'm actually at work wishing I wasn't here but I'm under strict instructions from hubby not to tell them to stick it.

Well done with the job! I sent and enquiry on Thursday and got an email back asking me for a CV - not like the UK is it?? :-)

Guest journeydownunder

That's great. Is it just you and hubby or do you have children?

It does seem a lot more laid back than I'm certainly used to but I'm sure we'll adapt!!

Archived