Going to Canberra this year?

Guest Blim Blam

Thank you Suzanne,

we are thinking to take the budget studio for 12 weeks .. which will get the 415 pw rate. not sure if this is wise.

On the other note, I have not received any reply from Greentrees too.. I think maybe they business does not exist anymore?!

And, by the way, how is the long term lease in Australia goes, for instance, if we rented a house for one year lease but then we might need to move out before the lease ended, will there be any penalty we need to pay for ?

ching

I had a reply from green trees. Emailed them late last night and they don't have a 2 bed available on 6th october when we arrive, but are free the week later, so we could do a week somewhere else and then 3 weeks there as they are cheaper than most.

Claire

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have already looked at this site. Too expensive I feel and the cheaper options were not available.

Hi claireg, we haven't booked yet but we are considering this:

http://www.canberrafurnished.com.au/rates/

since, we are just a couple with no children, we are considering the budget studio unit at Griffith.

One thing, we are quite worry is the area, not sure if McMillan Crescent area is good. We haven't been to Canberra so we do not have any idea of how the area environment is .. we are just researching using google map / street view and in the forum.

Please share with us if you have any findings.

Cheers!

ching

Hi Claire

This is a 2 bed flat annex off the main house - the reviews look good and they are charging us AUD 85 per night for the 3 of us.

http://www.takeabreak.com.au/SouthACT/CanberraandSurrounds/Langley-Heights-Bed-and-Breafast.htm

Ching also mentioned Greentrees apartments which looks fairly resonable : http://www.greentrees.com.au/ - I emailed them but they havent got back to me yet.

Suzanne

I saw this one already but not available the first week we arrive! But, like green trees could find somewhere else for one week then here for 3.

My search continues!

One person who replied to me last week said it is the Floriade flower festival mid sept to mid oct and it is their busiest time of the year.

I saw this one already but not available the first week we arrive! But, like green trees could find somewhere else for one week then here for 3.

My search continues!

One person who replied to me last week said it is the Floriade flower festival mid sept to mid oct and it is their busiest time of the year.

Ah yes, Floriade - not a good time to be coming!

My search continues!

Hi Claire

Yeah thats a shame because the reviews are good - Greentrees got back to me and they only have a one bed apart available and sent me the picture of the sitting room. Think we will stick with Langley Heights on this occasion even if its not Central !!

Have you tried any motels? or www.visitcanberra.com.au?

Suzanne

Hi Claire

Yeah thats a shame because the reviews are good - Greentrees got back to me and they only have a one bed apart available and sent me the picture of the sitting room. Think we will stick with Langley Heights on this occasion even if its not Central !!

Have you tried any motels? or www.visitcanberra.com.au?

Suzanne

Thanks for the link, they seem to have all the accommodation listed in one place.

I had a reply from green trees. Emailed them late last night and they don't have a 2 bed available on 6th october when we arrive, but are free the week later, so we could do a week somewhere else and then 3 weeks there as they are cheaper than most.

Claire

Hi Claire, I had a reply from Greentrees just a minute ago. They have the 1 bedroom unit at Reid, which I think suits our needs. We might go with Greentrees.

Thank you Suzanne,

we are thinking to take the budget studio for 12 weeks .. which will get the 415 pw rate. not sure if this is wise.

On the other note, I have not received any reply from Greentrees too.. I think maybe they business does not exist anymore?!

And, by the way, how is the long term lease in Australia goes, for instance, if we rented a house for one year lease but then we might need to move out before the lease ended, will there be any penalty we need to pay for ?

ching

Hi Ching

I got a response from Greentrees today after I sent them another email. After having a look at the photos I think we are going to stick with our original booking - although its further out it looks more comfortable. Im not sure about the penalties in Oz as regards rentals but I imagine you would loose your deposit but dont quote me on that.

Suzanne

Hi Ching

I got a response from Greentrees today after I sent them another email. After having a look at the photos I think we are going to stick with our original booking - although its further out it looks more comfortable. Im not sure about the penalties in Oz as regards rentals but I imagine you would loose your deposit but dont quote me on that.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

We haven't decided yet. but may stay with Greentrees.

Yes regarding the rentals in OZ, I think the same too. :)

ching

Found somewhere to live, hooray! Spotted it last week but the owner was away so had to wait til they were back to confirm availability. It's got 2 bedrooms, full kitchen, pool table and a verandah on a 5 acre plot. It's rural but that doesn't bother us. It is a farm stay and is actually in NSW in Googong. Says it is 10 min from Queanbeyan CBD and 20 min from Parliamentary triangle.

I think my 2 year old is going to love it and we get to spend a bit of time being rural before we settle into our long term rental.

Only costing AU$97 per night too.

Claire

Found somewhere to live, hooray! Spotted it last week but the owner was away so had to wait til they were back to confirm availability. It's got 2 bedrooms, full kitchen, pool table and a verandah on a 5 acre plot. It's rural but that doesn't bother us. It is a farm stay and is actually in NSW in Googong. Says it is 10 min from Queanbeyan CBD and 20 min from Parliamentary triangle.

I think my 2 year old is going to love it and we get to spend a bit of time being rural before we settle into our long term rental.

Only costing AU$97 per night too.

Claire

Probably a bit of poetic licence there with the timings but if you know you have to make the drive then it shouldnt bother you. You'll need a couple of cars if you both start work straight away as I shouldnt think there will be much by way of transport out that way. It's definitely different!

Thank you Suzanne,

ching

Hi ching. Found some info on breaking a lease here http://experts.realestate.com.au/renting-sharing/how-to-on-the-move-terminating-your-rental-agreement

Ta

Claire

Probably a bit of poetic licence there with the timings but if you know you have to make the drive then it shouldnt bother you. You'll need a couple of cars if you both start work straight away as I shouldnt think there will be much by way of transport out that way. It's definitely different!

We've got a hire car for two weeks from Sydney, so one of our first priorities is buying a car! We are only there for 4 weeks so hope we can secure a long term rental in 4 weeks which will be closer for sure. Don't think I could live that rural long term, I would go insane with 2 young kids and OH at work all day.

Not starting work until we have long term rental sorted so we should be ok.

What is Queanbeyan like as that will be our closest place for food shopping, perhaps a few meals out, etc whilst we are staying in Googong.

Thanks

Claire

We've got a hire car for two weeks from Sydney, so one of our first priorities is buying a car! We are only there for 4 weeks so hope we can secure a long term rental in 4 weeks which will be closer for sure. Don't think I could live that rural long term, I would go insane with 2 young kids and OH at work all day.

Not starting work until we have long term rental sorted so we should be ok.

What is Queanbeyan like as that will be our closest place for food shopping, perhaps a few meals out, etc whilst we are staying in Googong.

Thanks

Claire

Queanbeyan has a reputation for being somewhat "bogan" but it's a regular NSW country town. Has a good supermarket and small shopping mall with the big name brands in it. It's fine. Canberra isnt that far away if you fancy something a bit more "sophisticated". Rentals are cheaper in Qbn although there was an item on local radio yesterday about the rising costs of rentals in Qbn because of proximity to Canberra and a lot of people do commute into town - it's actually closer than living in Gungahlin and, of the two, I would much prefer Qbn! However, if you have kids then the NSW education system is quite different from ACT and you dont have any automatic right of entry into ACT schools if that is what you fancy.

Queanbeyan has a reputation for being somewhat "bogan" but it's a regular NSW country town. Has a good supermarket and small shopping mall with the big name brands in it. It's fine. Canberra isnt that far away if you fancy something a bit more "sophisticated". Rentals are cheaper in Qbn although there was an item on local radio yesterday about the rising costs of rentals in Qbn because of proximity to Canberra and a lot of people do commute into town - it's actually closer than living in Gungahlin and, of the two, I would much prefer Qbn! However, if you have kids then the NSW education system is quite different from ACT and you dont have any automatic right of entry into ACT schools if that is what you fancy.

Thanks once again. I think we will have to reside in ACT when we get our long term rental due to us being state sponsored. They might be a bit funny with us if we worked in ACT but lived in NSW. We have to report in twice a year for the first two years with our address. After 2 years we can live anywhere.

Thanks

Claire

Thanks once again. I think we will have to reside in ACT when we get our long term rental due to us being state sponsored. They might be a bit funny with us if we worked in ACT but lived in NSW. We have to report in twice a year for the first two years with our address. After 2 years we can live anywhere.

Thanks

Claire

Yes I'm not quite sure what they do with the residence bit - no one has ever really been that clear about whether you just have to work in ACT or whether you have to reside in it as well. Some things are definitely cheaper across the border eg car rego but services arent as good and people drift across the border for health and quite a few come for education but services are gradually trying to enforce border requirements for access to services (eg mental health, aged care etc)

Hi Claire,

Thank you so much that's a great help!

And, glad that you have found the 1st month accommodation, I'm so happy for you. :cute:

We haven't made up our mind yet and the search continues.. think I will have to end the search next week, this is too tiring.

ching

Guest amitsoft7

Hi

We are planning to move to Canberra in September this year , we have a child who is 4.5 year old , could some one please guide about the good schooling and the area which we should consider for residence in and around Canberra as child’s schooling is our priority. Also if someone could guide us about the admission process, i mean how many days in advance we have to contact school for admission . we would appreciate if some one could please advice.

Hi

We are planning to move to Canberra in September this year , we have a child who is 4.5 year old , could some one please guide about the good schooling and the area which we should consider for residence in and around Canberra as child’s schooling is our priority. Also if someone could guide us about the admission process, i mean how many days in advance we have to contact school for admission . we would appreciate if some one could please advice.

Your child wont start school until 2012 so you have plenty of time to get a house and work out where you want to be. All gov schools have a catchment area and are obliged to find a place for a child who lives in that area. As you are arriving later this year you may not find a place in a local preschool and may choose to wait until next year for kindergarten. A child can rock up, provide evidence of address and visa status, show their vaccination card and start straight away if they want to but usually, if you are going to start a kid in the new year, you can join in with some of the transition activities which happen in 4th term so let them know that you will be coming once you have a place to live.

Best idea is to get a job and find a place to live which isnt too far away from work. The schools are really much of a muchness and generally if you wouldnt want to live in a suburb then you wouldnt want your kid to go to school in the suburb. There is nowhere that stands out as being head and shoulders above the rest (in the gov system anyway - the Grammars and Radford have the best reps of the non gov) just avoid Charnwood, Richardson and Narrabundah and you should be fine.

http://www.myschool.edu.au/ is a good place to start to check out schools

Guest Watsons

Hi All,

We have finally received our visa and hope to be in Canberra in mid June. Thanks to Quoll and all other PIOers in this thread for their help. We look forward to meeting up when we get there

Ian

Archived