Going to Canberra this year?

Guest Blim Blam

Guest toops

Hi there

We are Julia and Adrian - hoping to go in June, I'm 44 and hubby bit older. I think there will be a plane load of us going out there! Where are you up to now? Cheers J & A

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest toops
Thanks Blim Blam, that's the cheapest I've seen so far

Try Qantas migration flights - if you go before the end of June they quoted us 1198 fro the two of us, with 40Kg baggage each and free stopover in Bangkok. The flights took you to Sydney and they suggested hiring a car for a few days, as it's a 2 hr drive to Canberra, I got a quote of 80 quid.

Julia :jiggy:

Guest destinationoz

Hi everyone - this is all exciting! We've had our visa a year now, done a validation trip and planning to move later this year so hopefully meet you all then ! Cal, Kimani and Amari (8)

Guest MagsInCanberra
Try Qantas migration flights - if you go before the end of June they quoted us 1198 fro the two of us, with 40Kg baggage each and free stopover in Bangkok. The flights took you to Sydney and they suggested hiring a car for a few days, as it's a 2 hr drive to Canberra, I got a quote of 80 quid.

Julia :jiggy:

theres also a bus from international terminal in sydney to canberra if you dont want the hassle of driving when you dont know where youre going (though it is very easy)check out murrays or greyhound. if you book in advance you can get 15 dollar tix, dont know about excess luggage though!

theres also a bus from international terminal in sydney to canberra if you dont want the hassle of driving when you dont know where youre going (though it is very easy)check out murrays or greyhound. if you book in advance you can get 15 dollar tix, dont know about excess luggage though!

thanks Mags :biggrin:

we have gotten our visa in Dec 2010, haven't done the validation visit yet.. but plan to make the big move by September.

we plan to book a holiday studio as we are just a couple with no kid. And, we will travel with little luggage basically just our basic clothing.

Do you have any suggestion for us on the temporary accommodation? Our budget probably about 250 - 300 per week, is it feasible?

Guest MagsInCanberra
thanks Mags :biggrin:

we have gotten our visa in Dec 2010, haven't done the validation visit yet.. but plan to make the big move by September.

we plan to book a holiday studio as we are just a couple with no kid. And, we will travel with little luggage basically just our basic clothing.

Do you have any suggestion for us on the temporary accommodation? Our budget probably about 250 - 300 per week, is it feasible?

not sure of anything that cheap for a short term rental. try a caravan park, it shouldnt be too cold in sept ?! i know theres one on dryandra st quite close to the city or maybe a short term private rental thro the university Housing Online - University Accommodation - ANU

good luck

It's closer to 3 hours from Sydney to Canberra driving and it is rather a boring trip - flying is a better option or, if you are in real economy mode, there is a bus service.

Best place for rentals without a doubt is Real estate properties & homes for sale, rent and share and if you go to the advanced search and put in short term rentals you will get a list. Otherwise towards the date you can try Wotif.com: Hotels, Accommodation, Motels, Serviced Apartments, B&B - Online hotel bookings with instant confirmation or Stayz Holiday Accommodation - 25,000+ Holiday Rentals across Australia can be helpful for short term holiday lets.

Guest SandP

We are going on a 457 and will be arriving in Canberra on 20th April 2011:biggrin:. Whole family is very excited - well nearly - our 4 year old is not too keen but am sure wil change her miond when we get there. Looking forward to meeting some new people and starting a new life.

Hi Mags,

Is there a Train from Sydney to Canberra,from the Airport?

Thanks

Steve,Wendy+Georgia :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hi Mags,

Is there a Train from Sydney to Canberra,from the Airport?

Thanks

No. Train services to Canberra are pathetic and although you can get the train from the airport to Central Station there are then only 2 trains a day IIRC to Canberra and the train station is out in the wilds of Kingston so can be tricky to get into town as they tend to arrive at odd hours. The bus really is the easiest way - they go every hour or so and they arent expensive.

We are going on a 457 and will be arriving in Canberra on 20th April 2011:biggrin:. Whole family is very excited - well nearly - our 4 year old is not too keen but am sure wil change her miond when we get there. Looking forward to meeting some new people and starting a new life.

Just checking that you do know that temporary visa holders will be up for school fees in ACT (even preschool fees, I discovered recently) unless you can prove that the visa holder's occupation is on SOL. I would hate for that to be a $urprise for you!

Guest toops

Why the alienated 'mood'? You are not from where we are - you are a lifeline and so helpful with the information. :-)

Why the alienated 'mood'? You are not from where we are - you are a lifeline and so helpful with the information. :-)

Nope, I am here! Some days are worse than others and sometimes having a bit of humour helps. I'd probably be downright gloomy if I had to live in Manchester:biglaugh:

Harsh Quoll lol :) but them I'm depresses today after yesterday's soccer result.

Oo yes, see what you mean, you do have the number for the Samaritans I suppose?!

Actually, I wouldnt mind Manchester though would prefer the countryside around it far more. I would love to live up in N Yorkshire - I have a friend near Settle and it is gorgeous up there, amazing scenery and real characterful buildings, stone walls and fabulous walking territory. I really wouldnt be able to stomach Bradford though - even my son's Tomtom refuses to countenance Bradford!!!! (I have not yet managed to drive through it successfully relying on the tomtom! now I just try and go a totally different route and avoid it altogether LOL)

Hi,hope you don't mind me gate crashing on you guys? I will be arriving in Canberra sometime in May 2011(I hope), as I have a job to go to and they want me to start work asap! I am a Mechanic and just have to get my tool boxes shipped out before I arrive, so I can start work. I have been told it can take around 8 wks to get them there, although I am still waiting for the shipping company to get back to me?

My wife Wendy and her daughter Georgia are hoping to arrive at the end of August (house to sort out,etc 1st)

Keep in touch and it would be nice to meet up with some people who will be new in Canberra?

Hi Steve Wendy & Georgia

We are moving to Canberra in June 2011 (myself Dave and Sarah will be arriving together) - so we will be newbies too :) We'd be up for meeting up when we arrive so keep us posted !

Suzanne

Welcome to PIO.

We did our meds last Tuesday so visa grant not far off now. We are planning on coming over sometime in September or October this year. Just need to sell the house, sort out shipping, flights, etc, etc. Going to be a busy 6 months.:eek:

Congrats on doing the meds Claire - it seems there are lots of us arriving from May - September of this year - are you getting excited? How is the new baby?

Suzanne

Guest MagsInCanberra
Congrats on doing the meds Claire - it seems there are lots of us arriving from May - September of this year - are you getting excited? How is the new baby?

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

my sis got her 457 today so will be here in the next 6 weeks or so :biggrin:

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne. Feels good having everything done now. Now just the wait for the visa grant. Yes there does seem to be a lot arriving, you will be the expert on canberra by the time we arrive!

Maisie is really well. She will be 6 weeks old on Friday, time has gone very quick.

We are getting the house valued this week. Hope it isn't too much of a disappointment.

How's the wedding plans going?

Hi Suzanne. Feels good having everything done now. Now just the wait for the visa grant. Yes there does seem to be a lot arriving, you will be the expert on canberra by the time we arrive!

Maisie is really well. She will be 6 weeks old on Friday, time has gone very quick.

We are getting the house valued this week. Hope it isn't too much of a disappointment.

How's the wedding plans going?

Yeah we will all have to have a big party wont we? Ah thats great to hear Maisie is good and I hope the valuation goes ok for you too fingers crossed :biggrin:. Wedding plans are well under way now - only 8 weeks to go and then after that we have to start packing. Im getting really excited about leaving now !

Guest MagsInCanberra
Ahh big congrats Mags bet you are really excited now ??

thanks, i am sooo excited, ive waited 12 years for this day!!! been following some other threads about weather. dont be put off by what you hear, its a much more pleasant winter than dublin, normally lots of sunshine during the days (clear skies hence cold nights)people still go walking, biking etc or even have bbqs in the winter! .... now off to do some more organising :o)

Guest toops
Oo yes, see what you mean, you do have the number for the Samaritans I suppose?!

Actually, I wouldnt mind Manchester though would prefer the countryside around it far more. I would love to live up in N Yorkshire - I have a friend near Settle and it is gorgeous up there, amazing scenery and real characterful buildings, stone walls and fabulous walking territory. I really wouldnt be able to stomach Bradford though - even my son's Tomtom refuses to countenance Bradford!!!! (I have not yet managed to drive through it successfully relying on the tomtom! now I just try and go a totally different route and avoid it altogether LOL)

Once you know you are on your way that's it ..... bye bye Manchester..... I will miss the rain and the traffic jams..... NOT. :wacko:

Mags - that's awesome news :)

Suzanne - good luck for the wedding :)

We were really luck with our house, the sign went up whilst we were at work last Monday, first viewer at 19:30 that night and I accepted an offer at 10:00 the following morning and they want to be in within four weeks!

So whilst we were lucky on that score we now have to figure out where to pitch our tent so to speak till Sep, not sure I can last that long at the father inlays without building a new patio if you catch my meaning ;)

Guest Blim Blam
Mags - that's awesome news :)

Suzanne - good luck for the wedding :)

We were really luck with our house, the sign went up whilst we were at work last Monday, first viewer at 19:30 that night and I accepted an offer at 10:00 the following morning and they want to be in within four weeks!

So whilst we were lucky on that score we now have to figure out where to pitch our tent so to speak till Sep, not sure I can last that long at the father inlays without building a new patio if you catch my meaning ;)

Lol, I know what you mean with the patio. We sold our one bed last year and moved in to rented in August, we needed more space with the arrival of the baby and we weren't sure when things would happen. Luckily our land lady is currently living in Adelaide so she understood what we are doing and has extended our one year lease by a month. So cool.

Congrats guys BTW.

Archived