Going to Canberra this year?

Guest Blim Blam

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RobzNdebz
thanks for thatis there any other helpfull info that you can throw my way thanks

Contact Us

This tells you the surgery's that carry out the medicals near you.

ACPO: Police Certificates

You need to get police checks done by applying on here, we did the normal processing not the premium.

Good luck!

Sounds good RobzNdebz, keep us updated and tell us how things go when you get there. A few of us aren't going until September time.

We got our Visa's on 4th Jan.

First day back at work,what a way to start the year !!

We are thinking of going September also, but are preparing to go earlier if needs be.

Just the two of us from near Durham

Anth n Barb .... mid 40's

Guest julianpoggenpoel

Hi all, Julian here. Looking to immigrate to Canberra and recently got the ball rolling. I'm in printing and had to get my skills assessed first so we at that stage at the moment. I've sent all docs off to RTO and waiting for them to get back to me with further questions and possibly an interview. Still a long way to go but all the help on here would be appreciated. How long does this process take from start to end, approx?? Once I have me AQF should I apply online for my SS and thereafter send that off for my visa application. Anyone on here who did everything themselves i.e, paper work and application without an agent?? Look forward to hearing from you guys

julian

Hi all, Julian here. Looking to immigrate to Canberra and recently got the ball rolling. I'm in printing and had to get my skills assessed first so we at that stage at the moment. I've sent all docs off to RTO and waiting for them to get back to me with further questions and possibly an interview. Still a long way to go but all the help on here would be appreciated. How long does this process take from start to end, approx?? Once I have me AQF should I apply online for my SS and thereafter send that off for my visa application. Anyone on here who did everything themselves i.e, paper work and application without an agent?? Look forward to hearing from you guys

julian

Hi Julian

We started the process 18 months ago. We used an agent and for us is has been well worth the money but if you are up to speed on documents and what needs to be done then you could actually do it yourself. My OH is in IT so he did he skills assessment with the ACS. The State Sponsorship took about 18-19 weeks to be processed and we also had to wait around quite a while before our visa was processed (From June 2010 until November 2010) We put through our application for our visa in November and two months later we got our visa. So I think that they are processing things alot quicker than they used to. We have our flights booked for 31st May 2011 (a matter of weeks really!). I know lots of the guys on here did not use an agent and I think with all the help thats on PiO you probably wont need one!

Cheers

Suzanne

Guest julianpoggenpoel

Suzanne thanx for your post.

I think I can do most of the paper work myself as our (my wife and I) situation is fairly straight forward. I'm in printing and currently having my skills assessed to obtain an AQF III. Then applying online for SS and afterwards applying for our visa. I know theres alot more to it but I think that about it really. So hope all goes well! Where are you guys looking to settle in ACT? You must be SO excited???

Julian

Our process took 18 months too using an agent who we found also to be invaluable.

Haven't booked flights yet. Selling everything up still.

We're aiming to travel very light! (Famous last words)

Initially were looking at September but would love to go earlier if we get house sold.

Best of Luck

Anth

Anth(44),Barbara(little bit older than me lol), 06/09-Agent, ACS 16/12/09, ACS Success 22/02/10, ACT SS 28/02/10, ACT SS Approved 24/03/2010 , 176 SS ACT Lodged 30/03/2010, Cat 2 01/11/10, Meds + Police Check requested 13/11/2010.Visa Granted 04/01/2011

Guest staffy200

hi did you go with atc the automative people if so what was involved costs etc what is your trade . i am a painter. i am thinking about going with them .

Suzanne thanx for your post.

I think I can do most of the paper work myself as our (my wife and I) situation is fairly straight forward. I'm in printing and currently having my skills assessed to obtain an AQF III. Then applying online for SS and afterwards applying for our visa. I know theres alot more to it but I think that about it really. So hope all goes well! Where are you guys looking to settle in ACT? You must be SO excited???

Julian

Thanks Julian - I think you will be fine doing it yourself if it is very straightforward. I think we will settle in North Canberra - maybe Gunghalin or Belconnen. Ive heard to stay away from Tuggernong from Quoll and other posters - if you read through some of the posts it might give you an indication where you would like to live. We are really excited we have our flights booked plus we are due to get married at the beginning of june so its all systems go!!

Suzanne

Guest julianpoggenpoel

Suzanne, congrats!!!! Talk about new beginnings!!! New country, new marriage .....new baby????? ha ha ha I've also heard only good things about Belconnen and I guess that is where I will focus in on for now. How did you guys prove that you have investigated the property market as I've noticed that that is one of the criteria for SS application.

Suzanne, congrats!!!! Talk about new beginnings!!! New country, new marriage .....new baby????? ha ha ha I've also heard only good things about Belconnen and I guess that is where I will focus in on for now. How did you guys prove that you have investigated the property market as I've noticed that that is one of the criteria for SS application.

Hi Julian

New beginnings is right!Dont know about the new baby though! As regards the property market we looked at allhomes.com.au, domain.com.au, realestate.com.au and saw the prices there. I also had a look at a website called RPDATA which gives a breakdown of each suburb aswell.

Any q's just ask

Suzanne

Guest destinationoz

We are hoping to move this year - had the house on Market but not budging so will take it off soon and rent instead. Redundancies / job losses also on cards so waiting to see what happens .... See you all in Canberra hopefully later this year :-)

Guest Grecian Legend

With all the confusion about the new SS Skills list, I was pleased to go with an Agent in the end. It is perfectly possible to go it alone and you are not treated any differently by DIAC. It is obviously a personal and financial decision. If you go with an Agent, make sure they are part of MARA and as you would with any big outlay, ask all relevant questions before parting with your hard-earned cash and signing a contract. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Guest julianpoggenpoel

Suzanne,

what sort of proof, info, research etc did you supply with your SS to show that you have researched the property market??

Suzanne,

what sort of proof, info, research etc did you supply with your SS to show that you have researched the property market??

We showed various links to property website - just one or two based on the property prices and also the rental market - most of this was our own words and what area would suit us best as a family. As far as I recall we chose Belconnen and Gunghalin because of the average age, facilities etc. I can try dig out the details for you and PM you but it will be later tonight before I do it as I am doing a presentation all day so I wont be at my computer. Let me know and I can give you examples.

The only thing I would say is do a lot of research around your lifestyle - for e.g my OH is a hillwalker so we looked up hillwalking clubs and I am interested in Holistic therapies and counselling so I contacted therapists and centres in Canberra and I put this in the commitment statement.

Suzanne

Hi

Got our visa on 17th Jan, so now trying to work out when we can go and logistics. Hubby more cautious than me, so he's not quite as convinced that moving to the other side of the world is a good idea. We've got 2 children, nearly 5 and nearly 3 so also thinking about areas with good public schools etc. Anyone got ideas about shipping costs???

Guest MagsInCanberra
Our visa came through a couple of weeks ago and we have our flights booked for 31s May 2011. Where in Canberra are you thinking of? We are thinking of Belconnen as I believe it has 2 good gov schools and the price of private schools are a little steep for us :biggrin:

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne, just been reading your posts. Very excited to hear things are moving on the ACT ss 176 and youre ready to go. Ive been doing the paperwork for my sister to move so we are waiting anxiously to hear that a CO been assigned.

Ive been in Canberra 12 years so happy to answer any questions.... love to hear of any other ACT ss people out there. If youre keen about getting a school theres a website called myschool.com.au you enter the name and it grades all the schools against each other. Might be of some use.

Mags

TRA Cook passed Sept 2010, ACT ss applied 8 Nov 2010 and approved 3 Dec 2010, 176 ss ACT lodged 8 Dec 2010....waiting to hear about CO

Hi Suzanne, just been reading your posts. Very excited to hear things are moving on the ACT ss 176 and youre ready to go. Ive been doing the paperwork for my sister to move so we are waiting anxiously to hear that a CO been assigned.

Ive been in Canberra 12 years so happy to answer any questions.... love to hear of any other ACT ss people out there. If youre keen about getting a school theres a website called myschool.com.au you enter the name and it grades all the schools against each other. Might be of some use.

Mags

TRA Cook passed Sept 2010, ACT ss applied 8 Nov 2010 and approved 3 Dec 2010, 176 ss ACT lodged 8 Dec 2010....waiting to hear about CO

Hi Mags

Yeah we are really excited - the pipe dream has now become a reality. I think we are mainly focussed on the Belconnen area - Ive had a look at the schools website and Belconnen and Canberra High seem to be good schools - dont know if you know anything about this. I know that you have to live in the catchment area so Im not sure if we can apply for the school as yet. We were looking at areas like Weetangera and the surrounds. Do you know much about these areas?

Cheers

Suzanne

Guest MagsInCanberra

Hi Suzanne, sorry dont know much about that area, im in the inner north-Downer. I think they are considered to be pretty good. Once you have permanent residence then you just apply to the school directly i think and then you will be asked to prove where youre living (show a rental agreement or utility bill) to make sure you are in the priority enrolment area for that school.

Hope that helps

Mags

Hi Mags

Yeah we are really excited - the pipe dream has now become a reality. I think we are mainly focussed on the Belconnen area - Ive had a look at the schools website and Belconnen and Canberra High seem to be good schools - dont know if you know anything about this. I know that you have to live in the catchment area so Im not sure if we can apply for the school as yet. We were looking at areas like Weetangera and the surrounds. Do you know much about these areas?

Cheers

Suzanne

Yup, they are fine. You might want to check Aranda, Hawker, Weetangera, possibly Cook and Bruce to live in.

Thanks Julian - I think you will be fine doing it yourself if it is very straightforward. I think we will settle in North Canberra - maybe Gunghalin or Belconnen. Ive heard to stay away from Tuggernong from Quoll and other posters - if you read through some of the posts it might give you an indication where you would like to live. We are really excited we have our flights booked plus we are due to get married at the beginning of june so its all systems go!!

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Don't write off south side, Tuggeranong or anywhere else in Canberra, when we arrived in Canberra we looked everywhere and ended up settling in Southside but also like many of the suburbs northside, it is really all down to personal tastes. I for my part love living south side, the views of the Brindabellas are beautiful.

I suggest having a scout around wen you arrive.

Archived