Going to Canberra this year?

Guest Blim Blam

Hi Suzanne,

Don't write off south side, Tuggeranong or anywhere else in Canberra, when we arrived in Canberra we looked everywhere and ended up settling in Southside but also like many of the suburbs northside, it is really all down to personal tastes. I for my part love living south side, the views of the Brindabellas are beautiful.

I suggest having a scout around wen you arrive.

Thanks for the suggestion - yeah sure we are open to things but I guess I have an idea in my head aswell.

Can you maybe suggest areas in Southside that are ok aswell?

Cheers

Suzanne

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the schools as much as anything that would keep me out of Tuggeranong if I had young kids - check out the Naplan site, speaks volumes and the schools were all built during the "flexible learning" period and the result is a load of schools which have sub optimal learning conditions IMHO. Woden Weston have the more established schools having been built a generation earlier. They had learned the lesson by the time they started to build Gungahlin.

If you are going south then the inner south like Yarralumla, Griffith, Hughes, Red Hill, Curtin, Waramanga, Chapman, Torrens, Farrer are suburbs to look at although Griffith no longer has a primary school and the kids go to Red Hill

It's the schools as much as anything that would keep me out of Tuggeranong if I had young kids - check out the Naplan site, speaks volumes and the schools were all built during the "flexible learning" period and the result is a load of schools which have sub optimal learning conditions IMHO. Woden Weston have the more established schools having been built a generation earlier. They had learned the lesson by the time they started to build Gungahlin.

If you are going south then the inner south like Yarralumla, Griffith, Hughes, Red Hill, Curtin, Waramanga, Chapman, Torrens, Farrer are suburbs to look at although Griffith no longer has a primary school and the kids go to Red Hill

Thanks Quoll

As regards Inner South and secondary schools are there any good ones (gov schools that is)

Cheers

Suzanne

Guest MagsInCanberra
Thanks Quoll

As regards Inner South and secondary schools are there any good ones (gov schools that is)

Cheers

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne

Just heard from someone the other day that redhill school is no better than any other public school....its all hearsay though. Overall inner south considered more upmarket than northside just like Dublin I guess :o) If you want to send your kids there need to rent there too which is always going to be more pricey. Narrabundah is the most affordable on that side.

Guest MagsInCanberra
Thanks Quoll

Cheers

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne, quick question. Did you apply for your visa online? If so, how did the meds information get submitted. My sister had her meds done at Mater yesterday and the doc said the info would be sent by snail mail to Sydney. That doesnt sound right as everyting else was electronically submitted.

thanks

Mags

Hi Suzanne

Just heard from someone the other day that redhill school is no better than any other public school....its all hearsay though. Overall inner south considered more upmarket than northside just like Dublin I guess :o) If you want to send your kids there need to rent there too which is always going to be more pricey. Narrabundah is the most affordable on that side.

Yes but you wouldnt want to be living in Narrabundah though would you:biglaugh: - not unless you were in the Caley Cres side of the suburb.

Red Hill is probably slightly above average, it does now have the older Narrabundah kids so dont know how that is working out. Of the schools in that area Forrest is pick of the bunch really but you would need to be very well heeled to get a rental in that area.

Alfred Deakin and Telopea Park get quite good reviews. Telopea Park is a bilingual French/Australian school so if a kid is fluent in French that is definitely a good option, otherwise you have to live in the area. Melrose HS a bit further down the valley is also one that is sought after - it takes kids from Farrer and Torrens PS which are also well regarded (more traditional). Have you checked the Naplan site? Find a school | ACARA

A lot of the inner south kids go private for HS though - Boys and Girls grammar are there as is St Edmunds, St Clares and Marist College. Mind you close to 50% of the ACT HS population go private but the inner south is a more affluent area so parents tend to be more able to pay for their kids' education.

Hi Suzanne

Thanks Mags - I didnt realise that south is more "upmarket" than north. I thought it was the opposite way around :biggrin:. We are Dublin Southsiders in an affluent area but there are definitely pockets around us that you wouldnt want to live - thats why we moved house and rented familys house for the moment. My daughter goes to a public school in Dublin but most of her friends have gone to a private secondary school. I have a thing about private schools as I went to one myself and feel that I didnt scrub up any better than my sister who went to a public school. Is the north and south divide like that throughout Canberra?

Hi Suzanne, quick question. Did you apply for your visa online? If so, how did the meds information get submitted. My sister had her meds done at Mater yesterday and the doc said the info would be sent by snail mail to Sydney. That doesnt sound right as everyting else was electronically submitted.

thanks

Mags

Hi Mags

After a long 15 month wait we put in our visa application on 10th Nov 2010. A month after we were assigned a CO and asked to go for our med on 17th Dec 2010 . We were waiting for our clearances to come through and our visa was approved on Jan 10th 2011. We used an agent who told us that the meds would have to be posted to Sydney but when we got to the Mater they were able to do it online. Apparently the mater are a part of the pilot scheme where they can do everything online but the receptionist in the hospital told me that sometimes they still have to post them. It seems a little odd - maybe it depends on the CO and the team in DIAC. If everything else has been "met" and your sis is on the SS list for Canberra I dont think there should be any reason why she shouldnt get her visa pretty soon.

Suzanne

Yes but you wouldnt want to be living in Narrabundah though would you:biglaugh: - not unless you were in the Caley Cres side of the suburb.

Red Hill is probably slightly above average, it does now have the older Narrabundah kids so dont know how that is working out. Of the schools in that area Forrest is pick of the bunch really but you would need to be very well heeled to get a rental in that area.

Alfred Deakin and Telopea Park get quite good reviews. Telopea Park is a bilingual French/Australian school so if a kid is fluent in French that is definitely a good option, otherwise you have to live in the area. Melrose HS a bit further down the valley is also one that is sought after - it takes kids from Farrer and Torrens PS which are also well regarded (more traditional). Have you checked the Naplan site? Find a school | ACARA

A lot of the inner south kids go private for HS though - Boys and Girls grammar are there as is St Edmunds, St Clares and Marist College. Mind you close to 50% of the ACT HS population go private but the inner south is a more affluent area so parents tend to be more able to pay for their kids' education.

Thanks Quoll - Ive had a look at the Naplan site - Ive been in touch with a few schools aswell and we cant register until we are in Canberra (thats for the govt schools) . Most of her friends here in Ireland go to private schools but I think that if we can find a good public school that will do just fine for us. I have a bit of a bee in my bonnett (ive just discovered) about private schools as per my last post :biggrin:. Hard decision to make but I think she wont be starting until the end of July anyway because the schools are on holiday when we get over

Suzanne

Thanks Quoll - Ive had a look at the Naplan site - Ive been in touch with a few schools aswell and we cant register until we are in Canberra (thats for the govt schools) . Most of her friends here in Ireland go to private schools but I think that if we can find a good public school that will do just fine for us. I have a bit of a bee in my bonnett (ive just discovered) about private schools as per my last post :biggrin:. Hard decision to make but I think she wont be starting until the end of July anyway because the schools are on holiday when we get over

Suzanne

If you are Catholic then you may really want to consider the Catholic system (and if you are not, oops sorry!). No you wont get into a gov school without a permanent address and you will only be guaranteed a place in the local school where you reside in the priority enrolment area - out of area enrolments are the prerogative of the principal and they are not obliged to take an out of area enrolment just because you want to go there.

There is a definite north south divide here but not necessarily a class/money based one, just a heritage type one. You rarely find anyone who has lived on one side or the other spontaneously moving to the other side. Even at work we have a north side/south side rivalry going on and for the first time in ages we have a south side dominance. There is a standing joke that to go from north to south you need a passport and a packed lunch but of course it is all friendly banter. The most expensive suburbs would be down south (O'Malley, Forrest, Isaacs) but there are expensive houses up north as well if you look for them!

If you are Catholic then you may really want to consider the Catholic system (and if you are not, oops sorry!). No you wont get into a gov school without a permanent address and you will only be guaranteed a place in the local school where you reside in the priority enrolment area - out of area enrolments are the prerogative of the principal and they are not obliged to take an out of area enrolment just because you want to go there.

There is a definite north south divide here but not necessarily a class/money based one, just a heritage type one. You rarely find anyone who has lived on one side or the other spontaneously moving to the other side. Even at work we have a north side/south side rivalry going on and for the first time in ages we have a south side dominance. There is a standing joke that to go from north to south you need a passport and a packed lunch but of course it is all friendly banter. The most expensive suburbs would be down south (O'Malley, Forrest, Isaacs) but there are expensive houses up north as well if you look for them!

Hi Quoll

Born and raised Catholics we are - practising now - definitely not! However my daughter was christened , made her communion and confirmation as all good Catholics do :biglaugh:. Basically it means that we will have to wait until we get a permanent address before we put her in a gov school!!!! Thats is crazy to me - so that would actually mean if we are in Short term accom that wont suffice for her being enrolled in a gov school. Is that right? Im going to check it out further anyway. I dont have a HUGE problem sending my daughter to a Catholic School but I do have a huge problem paying for fees if she is going to get the same education in a gov school. Could you tell me what the benefits of a Catholic School would have above gov schools - I know you dont have to live int he Catchment area and she would get to stay there right up to year 12 but are there any other benefits as far as you know?

I get what you are saying about the north and south divide - Dublin is EXACTLY the same. At least something would be familiar to us

Suzanne

Hi Quoll

Born and raised Catholics we are - practising now - definitely not! However my daughter was christened , made her communion and confirmation as all good Catholics do :biglaugh:. Basically it means that we will have to wait until we get a permanent address before we put her in a gov school!!!! Thats is crazy to me - so that would actually mean if we are in Short term accom that wont suffice for her being enrolled in a gov school. Is that right? Im going to check it out further anyway. I dont have a HUGE problem sending my daughter to a Catholic School but I do have a huge problem paying for fees if she is going to get the same education in a gov school. Could you tell me what the benefits of a Catholic School would have above gov schools - I know you dont have to live int he Catchment area and she would get to stay there right up to year 12 but are there any other benefits as far as you know?

I get what you are saying about the north and south divide - Dublin is EXACTLY the same. At least something would be familiar to us

Suzanne

Well, a good number of parents reckon that they dont get the same education from a gov school so the choice really is yours (I worked in gov schools and sent my kids to Grammar - not for the fun of it, it would have been nice to have had the $250k+ that we spent on their education in our pockets!!! We werent the only ones either, most of the teachers I know sent their kids private except the died in the wool left leaners). I think the bulk of them would cite the more traditional approach, discipline, pastoral care, school uniform etc. The education department says it is due to snobbishness and a higher disposable income but the dept does tend to put its head in the sand over some things and take a very PC view!!!

You will need a "permanent" address rather than a short term holiday address is what I meant so if you are living in an apartment for 6 weeks then take a rental for 12 months you would probably wait until you had the 12 month rental. They will ask to see evidence of your address and to begin with, that would be the rental agreement that you have. Dont put her into school until you have that sorted because you may not be able to find something in the exact place that you want and you dont want to be moving her from one school to another. No one is going to get their knickers in a knot if she is out of school for a couple of months while you get settled.

I'm sure it will all pan out and she will be fine. I dont know how old your daughter is but if she is mid HS then you might want to be looking at local Colleges as a factor in your decision making. Narrabundah usually tops the list of gov colleges which is another good reason to consider the inner south!

Well, a good number of parents reckon that they dont get the same education from a gov school so the choice really is yours (I worked in gov schools and sent my kids to Grammar - not for the fun of it, it would have been nice to have had the $250k+ that we spent on their education in our pockets!!! We werent the only ones either, most of the teachers I know sent their kids private except the died in the wool left leaners). I think the bulk of them would cite the more traditional approach, discipline, pastoral care, school uniform etc. The education department says it is due to snobbishness and a higher disposable income but the dept does tend to put its head in the sand over some things and take a very PC view!!!

You will need a "permanent" address rather than a short term holiday address is what I meant so if you are living in an apartment for 6 weeks then take a rental for 12 months you would probably wait until you had the 12 month rental. They will ask to see evidence of your address and to begin with, that would be the rental agreement that you have. Dont put her into school until you have that sorted because you may not be able to find something in the exact place that you want and you dont want to be moving her from one school to another. No one is going to get their knickers in a knot if she is out of school for a couple of months while you get settled.

I'm sure it will all pan out and she will be fine. I dont know how old your daughter is but if she is mid HS then you might want to be looking at local Colleges as a factor in your decision making. Narrabundah usually tops the list of gov colleges which is another good reason to consider the inner south!

Thanks Quoll - i completely see your point here. My daughter is just 12 but will turn 13 in March. It might be a better option for us to get her into a Catholic School so I have go onto Daramalan, Merici and St Clares - I think these are all inner north and south if I am correct. If we look at a Catholic School obviously we wont have to live in a catchment area would that be correct? I just wouldnt like her to be out of school for 2 months cos I know she will get completely bored and I think the best thing for her would be to mix with people of her own age and get settled asap. I also got on to some gov schools but yes we would need a perm address before we enroll her! I guess the bonus of a Catholic School would be that she can stay there until year 12 :). Thanks for all of your help anyway you have been great :biggrin:

Thanks Quoll - i completely see your point here. My daughter is just 12 but will turn 13 in March. It might be a better option for us to get her into a Catholic School so I have go onto Daramalan, Merici and St Clares - I think these are all inner north and south if I am correct. If we look at a Catholic School obviously we wont have to live in a catchment area would that be correct? I just wouldnt like her to be out of school for 2 months cos I know she will get completely bored and I think the best thing for her would be to mix with people of her own age and get settled asap. I also got on to some gov schools but yes we would need a perm address before we enroll her! I guess the bonus of a Catholic School would be that she can stay there until year 12 :). Thanks for all of your help anyway you have been great :biggrin:

Yes, she can stay in a Catholic school until year 12 although there is a fair bit of movement out of the private sector and back into the gov college sector at the beginning of year 11. The ones you have mentioned are inner north and south and no you wont have to live in a particular catchment area but you will want to see where the school bus runs go. Merici and St Clares are single sex schools by the way just in case that is a factor you want to promote/avoid.

I guess it all depends on how long it takes you to find somewhere to live, you might strike it lucky as you are arriving later in the year and the end of year rush will be over.

Guest MagsInCanberra
Hi Quoll

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

I grew up in Sutton and went to UCD so know what you mean! Its not the same in Canberra though. Public housing (corporation houses) are not restricted to certain suburbs as they are in Dublin so generally there is a more even mix here. A lot of suburbs have some public housing. There are a few suburbs considered to be a lot less desirable than others but generally you can guage it by price. Close to the city is generally more desirable thats why inner north and inner south are more expensive but then Belconnen, Gungahlin and Woden areas have their own shopping centres so are pretty much self sufficient.

I have been looking into Catholic schools for my sisters boys who are 11 and 13. I know they are not ridiculously expensive like some of the other private schools. I think the local primary is about 1400 a year, nominal really.

Also, I thought if you want to enrol before you have a definate adddress that you can but on starting at the school you then have to prove your address with a rental agreement or utility bill. Thats what someone in the international education unit of the department of education told me. You'll get info on catholic schools on

Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn Catholic Education Office

ps dont forget baptism certs in case you decide to go that way

Cheers

Mags

Guest MagsInCanberra
Hi Suzanne,

I grew up in Sutton and went to UCD so know what you mean! Its not the same in Canberra though. Public housing (corporation houses) are not restricted to certain suburbs as they are in Dublin so generally there is a more even mix here. A lot of suburbs have some public housing. There are a few suburbs considered to be a lot less desirable than others but generally you can guage it by price. Close to the city is generally more desirable thats why inner north and inner south are more expensive but then Belconnen, Gungahlin and Woden areas have their own shopping centres so are pretty much self sufficient.

I have been looking into Catholic schools for my sisters boys who are 11 and 13. I know they are not ridiculously expensive like some of the other private schools. I think the local primary is about 1400 a year, nominal really.

Also, I thought if you want to enrol before you have a definate adddress that you can but on starting at the school you then have to prove your address with a rental agreement or utility bill. Thats what someone in the international education unit of the department of education told me. You'll get info on catholic schools on

Cheers

Mags

....also, the few people i know who are catholic have sent their kids to primary catholic and then either go public or private catholic. By secondary school they have made their communion and confo so i guess they dont think its as critical.

Apparently, Lyneham High has the best rating of all public high schools in Canberra.

Another point is the school years run feb to dec so if you come mid year you will need to factor that. I know my sis is planning on starting her 12 year old in year 6 even tho he will have nearly finished it in Ireland...year 6 is primary school

Hi there

I have just subscribed to this this thread and found some good information - thanks! Robbo and Quoll we have already had contact and it's good to see that we are able to help each other. Here's to a bright future in Canberra. We are hoping to move after the school year ends here as I am a teaching, although I would LOVE to pack up and move as soon as that visa is in my sticky little hands. Got a house to sell (dire!) and the usual. :-)

Hi Suzanne,

Cheers

Mags

Thanks for all the info Mags - we really want to live close to the school - Sarah goes to a school and it takes her an hour each way at the moment so I guess we will have to wait and see!! Ive been looking at inner south and north but really the houses are all fairly old and we really want gas heating aswell - Not saying you cant get gas in the inner suburbs but the rental houses in those areas just dont match what I want :biggrin:. Im such a fusspot! Even if we sent sarah to a private school it would probably be in the inner suburbs and then if she was travelling it would take her ages - I guess the best thing to do is WAIT until we get there :)

Guest MagsInCanberra
Thanks for all the info Mags - we really want to live close to the school - Sarah goes to a school and it takes her an hour each way at the moment so I guess we will have to wait and see!! Ive been looking at inner south and north but really the houses are all fairly old and we really want gas heating aswell - Not saying you cant get gas in the inner suburbs but the rental houses in those areas just dont match what I want :biggrin:. Im such a fusspot! Even if we sent sarah to a private school it would probably be in the inner suburbs and then if she was travelling it would take her ages - I guess the best thing to do is WAIT until we get there :)

i know what you mean Suzanne, we rented in Gungahlin before we bought for that reason. It is cold in Canberra in winter though sunny too and the houses generally arnt as well insulated as in dublin.The only suggestion i can think of for an inner suburb rental, theres new semi detached houses in Lyneham (on Ellenborough i think)or new ones in part of Watson, the north end of Watson is all new houses, or apartments in Kingston. Theres lots of new apartments in Barton etc but generally pricey. I dont think you can sign a rental unless you view the property anyway so you'll have to wait alright!

i know what you mean Suzanne, we rented in Gungahlin before we bought for that reason. It is cold in Canberra in winter though sunny too and the houses generally arnt as well insulated as in dublin.The only suggestion i can think of for an inner suburb rental, theres new semi detached houses in Lyneham (on Ellenborough i think)or new ones in part of Watson, the north end of Watson is all new houses, or apartments in Kingston. Theres lots of new apartments in Barton etc but generally pricey. I dont think you can sign a rental unless you view the property anyway so you'll have to wait alright!

Thanks Mags - yeah we will just have to wait until we get there to find a property. I am conscious of the poor insulation alright - the house we live in is a furnace:biggrin: and I dont want to be cold when I am in canberra. any word on your sisters CO yet?

Guest MagsInCanberra

nothing yet Suzanne,the wait is killing me.... you dont have the DIAC fortnightly update from before 4 Jan?

hows your planning going?

Mags

nothing yet Suzanne,the wait is killing me.... you dont have the DIAC fortnightly update from before 4 Jan?

hows your planning going?

Mags

Sorry Mags I dont - I did sign up for the fortnightly updates but as yet I havent received one single email!!! - I think if you do a search in PiO you might get the update from someone. the planning is going fine. Flights are booked and we are searching high and low for short term rentals - some of them are over 4,000 AUD which is a bit much. We have seen a few short term rentals in Coppin Place in Weetangera and there is a B& B in Aranda which looks nice - more importantly i hope they have gas heating :biglaugh:

Archived