White Ribbons Against Violence Towards Women

whopperdaisy

White Ribbon Day on Nov 25th is part of an international campaign against violence towards women. Here's a little information from their website:

In Australia, one in three women will be assaulted or abused in her lifetime. These women are our mothers, our girlfriends, our wives, our daughters, our colleagues and our friends. How have we allowed this to occur?

Not only is it unacceptable for this violence to take place, it is unacceptable that we allow certain behaviours and attitudes to go unchallenged.

Some of us experience violence first hand. Others hear stories of violence against women. Others observe it or look on from afar. The worst part? We remain silent.

If we are to move our society forward and prevent violence against women from occurring, we must speak out. We must take action to challenge attitudes and behaviours. We must not remain silent.

The White Ribbon Campaign is the only national violence prevention campaign, and it is unique in that it aims to raise awareness among Australian men and boys about the roles they can play to prevent violence against women. The campaign calls for men across Australia to speak out and take an oath. An oath swearing never to commit, excuse or remain silent about violence against women. The campaign culminates on White Ribbon Day (25 November) each year, when men and women across Australia are called to wear a white ribbon or wristband as a visual symbol of their commitment and oath.

One very special thing about White Ribbon Day is that it calls on men to be very heavily involved and to refuse to accept violence towards women, to speak out and to never excuse or remain silent about abuse of women.

I'd like to urge all PIO members, male and female, to get behind this campaign. Why? I am going to bite the bullet and admit that I am one of those third of women who have been on the receiving end of violence. I survived the experience, many don't. I do not want that to be my family, my friends, our sisters, nieces, children, mothers, neighbours. I do not want any of the PIO family to have to pick up the pieces and it really can happen to anyone. A third is, if anything, a very conservative figure according to many working in shelters and women's support centres. There is an oath to sign, it only takes a minute or two.

Thank you for reading.

Guest Guest31881
White Ribbon Day on Nov 25th is part of an international campaign against violence towards women. Here's a little information from their website:

One very special thing about White Ribbon Day is that it calls on men to be very heavily involved and to refuse to accept violence towards women, to speak out and to never excuse or remain silent about abuse of women.

I'd like to urge all PIO members, male and female, to get behind this campaign. Why? I am going to bite the bullet and admit that I am one of those third of women who have been on the receiving end of violence. I survived the experience, many don't. I do not want that to be my family, my friends, our sisters, nieces, children, mothers, neighbours. I do not want any of the PIO family to have to pick up the pieces and it really can happen to anyone. A third is, if anything, a very conservative figure according to many working in shelters and women's support centres. There is an oath to sign, it only takes a minute or two.

Thank you for reading.

Everyone should take the oath. This is something touches to many families ...

Guest Guest40285

I'm with you whopper, All the way my friend, Might I add that its not just women, A lot of people, mainly the male kind wont ever believe accept or understand that a small group of us have experienced the same, You have my whole hearted support.

Guest Guest31881

Bumping this up,

Come on folks surely we can get 100 signed up from a site this size....

This means a lot to the OP, and a lot to some other members...... So get onto your friends list and lets see if we can get as many as possible signed up.

I totally support this campaign! I survived extreme domestic violence & totally understand how not much is done to help women in these horrible situations!!

:hug::hug: Thank you for being brave and sharing. I think these campaigns make it less taboo - and there is no way this should be taboo.

There are some amazing people working in support of women to help them escape and survive, I can honestly say I owe my life to some of them. Funding is insufficient, especially in many areas. I was very lucky, they can't help everyone as much as they did me. So many times in the groups I attended since, I heard women talk of their shame. Many of those I met returned to their abusers - the more support there is, the less likely they are to feel that is their only choice.

My local domestic violence centre recently closed down because they were offered funding IIRC of $10,000. Yet I recently managed to receive not one, not 2 but 3 copies in my mailbox (went to every household 3 times it seems round here!) of a very glossy 4 page brochure about something the govermnent says will happen in 21 years time. The more people of both genders who get involved and acknowledge abuse affects our entire community, the harder it will be for government to ignore and 'prioritise' their funding in this way.

We are all affected by this, we all know someone who experiences or has experienced violence, even if we don't realise it.

Often people don't realise/accept that abuse isn't just phsyical, it can be emotional and psychological. Like Matt said, Men are also the victimes of abuse and domestic violenc ... on the whole it's a shocking way for one individual to treat another.

To the brave ladies who have taken control of your lives and been brave enough to leave these relationship, I send my love, my congratulations and my respect xx

You are absolutely right Ali and in many ways the emotional/psychological is the hardest to overcome for many - perhaps most - survivors. You make a very good point.

I should say that if anyone reading in this is concerned at their own situation or are not sure if they are being abused (which is common in the midst of a situation) then please, please, tell someone you trust, there are domestic violence hotlines in each state/territory, some but not all police stations have trained officers, ask for them as other officers are not always very skilled at dealing with domestic violence (understatement). Most also have free womens legal services (and some that help both genders), and organisations like Lifeline are terrific too in helping and referring to the best people to help.

Edited to add, if you feel under threat and are looking up information etc, please remember to delete your browser history after viewing anything related and if you call any organisations for advice, dial another number afterwards so that last number redial will not show who you called.

Guest sh7t man no way

ill sign up mate---sorry to read about your troubled times (it must have been a nightmare for you) one would imagine it would have been a very emotional time for you,and would have left you with many questions unanswered:wubclub:as a member of pio i will answer your call for help,and sign up--i think that is what we are a part of on pio--lest we forget:wubclub:

Hopefully this seemingly ridiculous judge is gone very soon. Abuse against women happens worldwide, to the educated and less educated, all classes and wealth levels, races, etc. Some cultures deal with it better than others and in spite of Judge Barmy, the UK has taken significant strides, plenty further to go though. I hope that the cuts all over the place do not send things backwards but I have seen a change in attitude over the years there. My individual experience has been that the UK has progressed a fair bit further than Australia so we have catching up to do, some countries are further ahead again of the UK. Either way, I don't want to take this into comparison of countries, wherever you all are I thank you sincerely for signing the oath and helping us take those steps towards a healthier culture of respect.

I believe that violence and abuse cost any country more than many realise... especially in terms of future success or otherwise of our youngsters. Exposure to family violence is enormously damaging to children and we need our future generations to be raised free of this damage.

Guest sh7t man no way
Hopefully this seemingly ridiculous judge is gone very soon. Abuse against women happens worldwide, to the educated and less educated, all classes and wealth levels, races, etc. Some cultures deal with it better than others and in spite of Judge Barmy, the UK has taken significant strides, plenty further to go though. I hope that the cuts all over the place do not send things backwards but I have seen a change in attitude over the years there. My individual experience has been that the UK has progressed a fair bit further than Australia so we have catching up to do, some countries are further ahead again of the UK. Either way, I don't want to take this into comparison of countries, wherever you all are I thank you sincerely for signing the oath and helping us take those steps towards a healthier culture of respect.

I believe that violence and abuse cost any country more than many realise... especially in terms of future success or otherwise of our youngsters. Exposure to family violence is enormously damaging to children and we need our future generations to be raised free of this damage.

it a world wide problem Wdaisy--one that is worthy of a debate in my mind--how is it love,and hate can be such a thin line in a relationship:no:its happens on both sides of the coin--its only come to light that women hurt there male parteners--there are groups to help men in this situation:wubclub:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I have just finished a week long training course on DV domestic violence and it is a massive problem. If i recall, the average time a woman is abused before she reports it, is 18 times.

I couldn't believe this figure, 18 times. But these poor women have the hardest decision to make, report the father of their children and risk losing the father of their children. I know people will think, the aggressors deserve to be reported and they deserve to lose their families and i agree to a certain extent, but................. until it happens to you, you can not understand the complexities of it, or say how you will deal with it.

There needs to be more done.

Guest sh7t man no way
I have just finished a week long training course on DV domestic violence and it is a massive problem. If i recall, the average time a woman is abused before she reports it, is 18 times.

I couldn't believe this figure, 18 times. But these poor women have the hardest decision to make, report the father of their children and risk losing the father of their children. I know people will think, the aggressors deserve to be reported and they deserve to lose their families and i agree to a certain extent, but................. until it happens to you, you can not understand the complexities of it, or say how you will deal with it.

18 times jim its an astounding fact---why is this so--surley there must be a point of no return:no:still its not in my remit of life experiences--it must be a bad time allround--i do feel for someone caught up in this never ending story:wubclub:

Guest Guest31881

Domestic Violence is something I have come across many, many, times when I worked on the Ambulance service. I have dealt with violence towards, women, men, children and grandparents. The one thing that always got to me was the guilt that is often felt by the victim, a lot of victims did not want to involve the police because they felt it was "their own fault". Also it is not always physical violence but verbal assaults and mental cruelty towards the victims.

I hope everyone who reads this thread goes to the White ribbon page and signs up. They may not think it affects them, but someone they know will be suffering some form of abuse, that is almost a certainty.

When there are children involved, the victim still has to deal with her (or his) abuser, sometimes many times a week. She also has to send her children to an abusive person for contact visits without being there to protect them. This can be a very big factor for women either not leaving or returning to an abuser. Believe me, sending a child to someone capable of abuse to any significant extent is harder than dealing with the abuse in so many ways. It is shown through studies it is still better in terms of preventing the cycle continuing, children witnessing abuse experience all kinds of problems as a result. Still, there is not an easy answer.

There is some kind of review being conducted by the government but even when completed, the time taken to introduce changes is usually several years. For now my experience has been that court is horrific and almost as abusive an experience to the victim as the original abuse.

Hoff and srp made some very good points about why things are not reported. Thank you.

Guest siamsusie

Great compassionate posts Colin & Daisy, so good to be able to offer another perspective... very thought provoking.

A subject that has been brushed under the carpet for too many years.. thank you Susie x

Archived