Is there any irish thread???

Guest sinead

We didn't have to organise health insurance Ireland has a reciprocal agreement with medicare all we have to do is produce our Irish passports and sign on with medicare when we get there.

There's some confusion as to whether you need insurance to cover you from the time you arrive to the time you sign on to medicare.

I have purchased 1 month's insurance for that reason after the High Commission in London and my employer both said I needed it. However, Ireland is a special case in that you don't actually need to sign on to medicare in order to receive medical attention, you just need to produce your passport (NZ is the only other country with this arrangement). For this reason I don't believe you need insurance to cover you for the initial period, and several Irish people seem to have got in without having it. Nevertheless, I got it just to be sure, and will probably cancel it after a month.

Congratulations on getting the visa!!

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jemmajol
Hi everyone, I am also new to this forum. We are planning to move from Carlow to Melbourne mid 2011. OH also has employer sponsership visa pending. We are looking at Mornington as this would be near his work. Would love any information on primary school and school fees there as we have an 8 and 5 yr old. Do the fees vary depending on the visa. Also does anyone know would his sponsership visa allow me to work.

Marie:confused:

Hi Marie and welcome- our visa apps (457) are pending- were moving around early april 2011 to Rowville melbs (or surrounding areas) i have a 12 and 9 yr old for school and a 19 mth toddler- as far as i can make out in Vic, costs are simlar to Ireand- you have to pay for books etc and uniform most schools have a fees link on their web sites i found this link handy : Education authorities (Victoria Online)

we looked at Mornington but didnt feel it had much to offer in the way of 'renting'. good luck!- maybe see you in MELBS!!!?

There's some confusion as to whether you need insurance to cover you from the time you arrive to the time you sign on to medicare.

I have purchased 1 month's insurance for that reason after the High Commission in London and my employer both said I needed it. However, Ireland is a special case in that you don't actually need to sign on to medicare in order to receive medical attention, you just need to produce your passport (NZ is the only other country with this arrangement). For this reason I don't believe you need insurance to cover you for the initial period, and several Irish people seem to have got in without having it. Nevertheless, I got it just to be sure, and will probably cancel it after a month.

Congratulations on getting the visa!!

Hmmm. My missus has an Irish passport and myself a British. I'd read up that we'd need the cover for the initial period. I think I'll just get a month to be on the safe side.

Congratulations on the Visa!

Yeah, all other countries with the reciprocal agreement require you to be registered and so insurance is necessary. However, according to the medicare website, not Ireland. Trying to explain this was getting too hard for me though and it was worth the extra few quid not to have the hassle!

From Visitors from the Republic of Ireland and New Zealand - Medicare Australia

Your entitlements

As a resident of the Republic of Ireland or New Zealand you are entitled to free treatment as a public in-patient or outpatient at a public hospital and access to subsidised medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme during your visit to Australia. This covers any ill health or injury needing medical treatment while in Australia. To access these benefits you should show your passport at hospitals or pharmacies. You are not entitled to Medicare benefits for non-hospital medical care and you will not be issued with a Medicare card.

as Rob did, i bought a policy, paid for a month and will cancel the policy when i arrive.

the policy i got is only 50-odd euro per month so i figured if it means i've ticked a box on the form that'll make things move a bit quicker then it's worth it!

i wonder if any of the migration agents on here could advise as to the official stance on ROI citizens' requirement to have insurance!?

as Rob did, i bought a policy, paid for a month and will cancel the policy when i arrive.

the policy i got is only 50-odd euro per month so i figured if it means i've ticked a box on the form that'll make things move a bit quicker then it's worth it!

i wonder if any of the migration agents on here could advise as to the official stance on ROI citizens' requirement to have insurance!?

Who did you use cazbob?

Yeah, all other countries with the reciprocal agreement require you to be registered and so insurance is necessary. However, according to the medicare website, not Ireland. Trying to explain this was getting too hard for me though and it was worth the extra few quid not to have the hassle!

Note from reading the website it appears that the reciprocal agreement is not as good for the Irish as it is for the British. You only get partial medicare coverage. ie no out-of-hospital medicare benefits which is why I presume you are not issued with a medicare card.

Steen,

I used Mutual Community (the SA arm of Bupa it seems) they had been recommended by friends in oz and they had a package that i felt was about the right price for me.

I chose a "hope we'll be there by then" date to start the policy on but seeing as that date is coming up in 2 weeks and we've no visa or flights yet i'm going to ring them and change it to a bit further down the line - i'll let u know if there are any issues with this!

Caz

Were loooking at Rowville and surronding area in vic,melbs- how about you

Hey Jemma,

We just moved to sandringham.

When are you moving over?

Louise.

Hey Rob,

we looked into this too and have applied for our medicare cards - we had no problems applying - they registered us immediately (cards get posted out ).

Im not sure but from what we were told, if you have a permanent resident visa, you are entitled to a medicare card. I think as you mentioned- you are not entitled to things like doctor or dentist (but then again, i wasn't entitled to this in ireland either :nah:)

If you are a visitor - you get reciprocal rights but dont get a card

Although we did get health insurance to cover us for 1st for few weeks we were here too as it didnt seem to clear for us either when we were reading about it in ireland.

Hope this helps.

Louise.

Guest jemmajol
Hey Jemma,

We just moved to sandringham.

When are you moving over?

Louise.

OOO not to far!!- whats it like in Sandringham( have looked there too - via google maps i might add):biggrin:

OH has been given a start date for April 18th 2011 so if all goes according to plan (im hoping)- then we should arrive early April !:wacko:

how long have you been there? are you renting?

jemma

OOO not to far!!- whats it like in Sandringham( have looked there too - via google maps i might add):biggrin:

OH has been given a start date for April 18th 2011 so if all goes according to plan (im hoping)- then we should arrive early April !:wacko:

how long have you been there? are you renting?

jemma

I just sent you a PM:smile:

rang the CO just there and she said they should have a decision on the nomination by the end of the week... fingers crossed! :D

Fingers crossed for you :smile:

rang the CO just there and she said they should have a decision on the nomination by the end of the week... fingers crossed! :D

Great news!! fingers crossed for you. xxx

I got the fright if my life yesterday I read on another thread that if you have a 176 and a 457 pending at the same time and say the 176 is granted first and the 457 granted after, the 176 will be canceled as the last visa to be granted stands.

It TURNS OUT NOT TO BE TRUE THANK GOD!! I rang ASPC last night and she said once your permanent visa is granted any temp visa pending in the system will be stopped and that a permanent visa will always over ride a temporary visa regardless.

Just in case anyone saw the thread and is in a similar situation.

Maria.

Guest RGallagher
Great news!! fingers crossed for you. xxx

I got the fright if my life yesterday I read on another thread that if you have a 176 and a 457 pending at the same time and say the 176 is granted first and the 457 granted after, the 176 will be canceled as the last visa to be granted stands.

It TURNS OUT NOT TO BE TRUE THANK GOD!! I rang ASPC last night and she said once your permanent visa is granted any temp visa pending in the system will be stopped and that a permanent visa will always over ride a temporary visa regardless.

Just in case anyone saw the thread and is in a similar situation.

Maria.

Hi, My name is Raymond & I live in Belfast. I have submitted a permanent immigration visa back in Feb 2008 & I'm still waiting! My OH is a hairdresser which gave us enough points. But the credit crunch happened shortly after we submitted the visa and hairdressers were removed from the list but because we had our application submitted whilst they were on the list we will still be eligible for a permanent immigration visa but a critical list was made & only those professions will be looked at and our application is set to one side until 2012. So we have been waiting 3 years next month! A friend of ours who is in Oz & is also a hairdresser has asked her boss to sponsor us & she said yes! So we submitted our 457 visa on the 10th Jan & judging by this forum we wont have long to wait! Yipeeeeee! The employer is Oz has already sponsored people before so I assume she is already approved as a sponsor so this should speed up the process. I have to travel to Dublin on the 31st of this month to get chest x-rays done as no where in Northern Ireland does them, so I imagine nothing can happen until they receive the x-rays. Anyway after waiting 3 years I think I can wait a bit longer! lol :jiggy:

Guest SusieOR

OMG... I hope so... & I hope its a good result too!!!

Thanks for the info!!!

Hi, My name is Raymond & I live in Belfast. I have submitted a permanent immigration visa back in Feb 2008 & I'm still waiting! My OH is a hairdresser which gave us enough points. But the credit crunch happened shortly after we submitted the visa and hairdressers were removed from the list but because we had our application submitted whilst they were on the list we will still be eligible for a permanent immigration visa but a critical list was made & only those professions will be looked at and our application is set to one side until 2012. So we have been waiting 3 years next month! A friend of ours who is in Oz & is also a hairdresser has asked her boss to sponsor us & she said yes! So we submitted our 457 visa on the 10th Jan & judging by this forum we wont have long to wait! Yipeeeeee! The employer is Oz has already sponsored people before so I assume she is already approved as a sponsor so this should speed up the process. I have to travel to Dublin on the 31st of this month to get chest x-rays done as no where in Northern Ireland does them, so I imagine nothing can happen until they receive the x-rays. Anyway after waiting 3 years I think I can wait a bit longer! lol :jiggy:

Hi Raymond, just to let you know that you only have to get x-rays done for a 457 visa if your asked to do so just letting you know in case it saves you a few quid as we just got our 457 visa and didn't have to do any medicals whatsoever.

Noel.

Hi Raymond, I was going to say as the prendergast family you dont need X-Rays or medicals for a 457 (hairdresser) as far as i know its only if you will be working with children or in the medicial proffession or come from some high risk country's.

Best of luck with the visa, what state are you heading to.

Maria.

Welcome to PIO Raymond!

I hope things move swiftly for you and yours, i've been in the process of this nearly a year now and the waiting has been horrible, i can't even imagine it being 3 years! fingers crossed the DIAC pull the finger out and you'll be winging your way over in no time!

where are u planning on heading?

Caz

HI everyone

Just at the stage of getting shipping quotes and just looking to see if anyone has received a quote for a 20ft container to be shipped from Ireland.

We have received quotes inexcess of €5000 which i think is a bit steep- anyone able to help?

I just sent you a PM.....hope it helps

I'm in the process of getting quotes organised too.

We're going in early March, moving from Dublin to Brisbane, and won't need a full container.

First indications are: 2200 or so for a 1/4 container, or 4200 for a full container.

We probably only need about 1/3 container, but am tempted to take the car.... the 4200 includes a frame built around the car, so effectively we'd be taking the car for about 1500 euros (4200 - 2700 for 1/3 container)...

Decisions, descisions...

Archived