Is there any irish thread???

Guest sinead

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lads,

Just introducing myself. I'm an Aussie, married to a girl from Cork like. We have 2 little girls. We live in Dublin, and are probably moving to Brisbane in March/April next year. So if anyone is shipping stuff around that time, perhaps we can do a groupage?

Wife's sister has applied for her 175 visa as well, but only 3 months ago, so it could be another 18 months before she gets it.

Cheers...

Welcome 6033! (hope you don't mind me using the abbreviated form of your name;) )

Sorry to see you've picked up the Cork accent...

Guest jemmajol
Woohoo! My 457 visa was granted this morning! Going to Brisbane baby!!

And last Tuesday we got tickets to two of Ireland's games in the Rugby World Cup!

Tuesday is fast becoming my favourite day of the week :)

WOW big congratulations :biggrin: - wonder what next Tuesday has in store for you!?:rolleyes:

Guest jemmajol

Our update : Hubby had interview via video conferencing link with company in Sydney 10/11/10 , had job offer 10/11/10, house on market since 22/11/10,(2 views since) company have contacted referees and forward formal letter/contract.want Hubby to start no later than 18/04 2011.!!

07/12/10 457 visas in process !!! so much to do !! apart from sorting things this end, we have to find accommodation, a secondary and primary school and playgroup by early april for boys to start after April mid term break in Melbourne!! yikes :-) add that to the usual christmas stresses !ho ho ho:jiggy:

Our update : Hubby had interview via video conferencing link with company in Sydney 10/11/10 , had job offer 10/11/10, house on market since 22/11/10,(2 views since) company have contacted referees and forward formal letter/contract.want Hubby to start no later than 18/04 2011.!!

07/12/10 457 visas in process !!! so much to do !! apart from sorting things this end, we have to find accommodation, a secondary and primary school and playgroup by early april for boys to start after April mid term break in Melbourne!! yikes :-) add that to the usual christmas stresses !ho ho ho:jiggy:

We are in the same boat jemma, went for interview in the Conrad Hotel on 12/10/2010 for Woods accident repair centre in Melbourne got job offer on 14/10/2010, 457 visa submitted by migration agent yesterday so fingers and toes crossed.

Noel & Becky

Thats great news Jemma best of luck with your move.

Its a bad time to sell we are in the same boat I think we might end up renting our's out.

Maria.x

We are in the same boat jemma, went for interview in the Conrad Hotel on 12/10/2010 for Woods accident repair centre in Melbourne got job offer on 14/10/2010, 457 visa submitted by migration agent yesterday so fingers and toes crossed.

Noel & Becky

That's great news well done you should have your visa in no time.

Best of luck with the move.

Maria

Guest allieanddermo

Hi there,

We are hoping to return to Brisbane next year again.

We emigrated in 2007 got very homesick came back to Dublin to the worst recession since..ever... and now we are trying to go back again Lock, stock ...

spent about €10000 getting us and our stuff there

about $15000 getting us all back again

and now with no jobs and no money, going to try go back again, but we might just ditch all the stuff this time..

We didnt sell the house 1st time round and now we probably wont be able to.. hindsight eh?

We have 2 kids 9yrs and 4(and a very important half)yrs

Oh is a carpenter and was doing very well in Brisbane.

Anyway just saying Hi...

Cheers

Allie

Nice to see all you Irish on here...

Guest allieanddermo

Yep PG,

thats what we all want

a better future for the kids

and it dont look like that will happen in this country.....

Allie

welcome to the first time posters on this thread! :hug:

A friend and I saw Damien Dempsey at the Forum in Waterford last night - brilliant show. The country might be fast going down the dunny but there are some things I am really going to miss when I leave - the accessability of great live music being one of those things.

welcome to the first time posters on this thread! :hug:

A friend and I saw Damien Dempsey at the Forum in Waterford last night - brilliant show. The country might be fast going down the dunny but there are some things I am really going to miss when I leave - the accessability of great live music being one of those things.

Me too I love going to gigs, off to see the coronas tomorrow night really looking forward to it.

I will really miss that aspect of our lives, from now on if we want to go and see any of the major artists we will have a minimum 5 hr drive from coffs to Brisbane or 7 hrs to Sydney.

Sure we will just have to make a weekend of it....MMM.. that actually sounds like a good idea!!

Maria.

I totally agree, we take things so much for granted here. Great artist by the way!

I'm going to miss all that, not that having little ones puts a halt to your gallop anyway!!

But I have to say will not miss all the doom and gloom and right before Christmas

too that we have bombarding us with unimaginable figures. Its good to know that

at least we still have chance of getting out, but it does feel like we're rats deserting

a sinking ship. Having said that I dont want my children paying for the mistakes of a

few either. So bring on that sunshine:smile::smile::smile::smile:

If you want something uplifting rather than depressing, here is the graduation address given to UCC graduates at their conferring recently. Author is a poet and his ability to turn the current situation into something inspiring is to be envied. Stirring stuff indeed

There is a new Ireland to be imagined and worked for, a new kind of Ireland to build, and it is you who must build it - The Irish Times - Thu, Dec 09, 2010

Ooh Coronas! They are playing in Melbourne while we will be there for my sister's wedding next year so we are taking my Dad and Mum.

It is so expensive seeing major artist in Oz. Tickets are ridiculous prices.

Sparklym - I have been avoiding the newspapers and telly the last few days. The Budget won't affect me much at all directly and I am fed up with the gloom of it all!

If you want something uplifting rather than depressing, here is the graduation address given to UCC graduates at their conferring recently. Author is a poet and his ability to turn the current situation into something inspiring is to be envied. Stirring stuff indeed

There is a new Ireland to be imagined and worked for, a new kind of Ireland to build, and it is you who must build it - The Irish Times - Thu, Dec 09, 2010

Its very sad......

Me too I love going to gigs, off to see the coronas tomorrow night really looking forward to it.

I will really miss that aspect of our lives, from now on if we want to go and see any of the major artists we will have a minimum 5 hr drive from coffs to Brisbane or 7 hrs to Sydney.

Sure we will just have to make a weekend of it....MMM.. that actually sounds like a good idea!!

Maria.

Hi Maria, while not a replacement, in case you don't know nearby Bryon Bay is good for some music festivals. Eg:

- Bangalow Music Festival

- Bryon Latin Fiesta

- The East Coast International Blues & Roots Music Festival (5 days)

Hi Maria, while not a replacement, in case you don't know nearby Bryon Bay is good for some music festivals. Eg:

- Bangalow Music Festival

- Bryon Latin Fiesta

- The East Coast International Blues & Roots Music Festival (5 days)

And see the great Juzzie Smith :cool:

Me other half is Irish. We're hoping to be out to Sydney early April all going well. Some of the bands a re a bit hit and miss but there are often Irish bands playing around Sydney. The session at the Hero of Waterloo in the rocks on a sunday night is always good.

Guest IrishInOz

Good to see the Irish Thread humming along.

I've been in Australia for 50 years, I'm proud of my Irish heritage but Australia is my home and that of my children and grandchildren.

Australia has a large Irish diaspora and you will find many Irish Festivals held on an annual basis throughout many towns.

Two that come to mind are at Port Fairy and Beechworth.

http://www.beechworthcelticfestival.com.au/index.html

Good to see the Irish Thread humming along.

I've been in Australia for 50 years, I'm proud of my Irish heritage but Australia is my home and that of my children and grandchildren.

Australia has a large Irish diaspora and you will find many Irish Festivals held on an annual basis throughout many towns.

Two that come to mind are at Port Fairy and Beechworth.

Lets break out, go on the raz and start singing crimbo songs :wink::wink:

Archived