Feeling stressed - Just want to go home !!

twinsmom65

I am seriously thinking about moving back to Canada, after almost 2 years in Perth.

With my OH's job situation (or rather lack of job), it really is starting to have a huge effect on our family.

My daughter was in tears this morning, and has a rash all over due to stress (poor thing is not even 17 yet... such alot to bear). Myself, am not only stressed at home but also at work, working for DCP leads me to see the worst of people.. and yesterday I got called a dog C**t, not exactly what I want to hear at work.

OH can't even qualify for Newstart Benefits, due to me earning just above the povety level. He can't even go back on the tools here, as he is a sheet metal mechanic, and installed duct work in Canada and is not qualified as an Air Conditioning worker.

I have no family here and very few friends and just feel so lonely and at my wits end. I am trying to remain positive for the sake of my OH, however, some days it is harder to keep up the charade than others. Even for work, trying to keep up the charade that you are happy and everything is well is getting harder by the day.

One of the reasons for our move to Australia, was that my OH kept getting laid off during the winter back in Canada as he was considered in the construction field. I have spent 18 years dealing with job losses with him, and was looking forward to a fresh start here in Australia, well obviously, that hasn't happened, as he is out of work again.

I just feel that if I move back to Canada, at least I will have family and friends around, and I know that I can get a job back there no problem.

And before anybody says that we are better off staying here, sunshine does not put food on the table, feeling alone with no family around does not go away.

The lucky country might be good for some, but alas for us it has not been.

Cheers

Karen

Hi Karen

I know from previous posts that you have not been having an easy ride of late. I can totally understand what you and your OH are going through - our work situation has been up and down over the last 2 years we have been here too.

There is no easy answer to your situation, I only wish there was. It IS so hard here, without family and long-term friends to support you through the tough times, I completely feel your pain there. Australia has certainly not been the "dream new life" we were all hoping for, it is an uphill struggle almost every single day.

How does your OH feel about moving back to Canada? What about the kids?

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat/offload anytime

xx

Hi Karen,

I think you know deep down that the best thing to do would be to go home, don't listen to these people who tell you to stick it out as it will be a better life here - how can it be a better life without your friends and family. The sun isn't everything!

I am the first to admit that moving here was a huge mistake for us, we were blinded by the sunshine, and although we had done our ground work we were not prepared for the bouts of homesickness, waking up every day wishing I could go home and even the children (aged 5, 3 and 3) asking when we were going home.

Get the house of the market and take it from there, it will be the best decision you have ever made.....can you imagine being home for Christmas, how lovely would that be for the whole family.

I am sure you will make the right decision whatever you choose, good luck.

Julie

I echo everything that Sadsmile says, Karen. If you think that a move back to Canada would be something you could work towards and will benefit your family long-term, then I don't think there's a single person who would disagree with your desire to make things better for your family.

You're right that coming to Australia can be emotionally taxing, and with the added stress of your work situations then I totally sympathise with your predicament. Of course it's normal to want your extended family around when things aren't great but you've obviously thought long and hard and given it a ruddy good shot before coming to this conclusion.

If your OH and kids agree that it's time to call and end to this chapter of your lives, then you can start to work on a strategy to get you back to where you need to be.

All the very best with your decision. Nowhere in the world is worth that kind of heartache.:hug:

Sue x

Guest famousfive

We are also finding it very hard on the work front and as you say it has a big impact on the whole family.We plan on heading back to Ireland next year and come what may with finances we know we will be happier then.On making our decision we did some tough soul searching as I am sure you are doing at the moment.The one question I asked myself again and again was 'Is all the struggle worth it?',we all decided the answer was NO.If your answer is the same then it may be time to head back to Canada which,lets face it,is a fabulous country[and hopefully finances will allow].If on the other hand the answer is yes then maybe an alternative career for your OH is the best way to go in the long term if employment is patchy in his chosen field.I wish you lots of luck and wisdom with what is a very tough decision.

Guest Guest31881

Hi Karen,

Only you and your family know what is best for you. From what i remember of your previous posts you have been having a tough time.

Sit down with your family and talk things through, if returning to Canada is what's needed to remove the stress and bring the smiles back to your families faces, then make your plans get get yourselves back there. No one needs added stress, do what is needed to remove it.:hug:

I am seriously thinking about moving back to Canada, after almost 2 years in Perth.

With my OH's job situation (or rather lack of job), it really is starting to have a huge effect on our family.

My daughter was in tears this morning, and has a rash all over due to stress (poor thing is not even 17 yet... such alot to bear). Myself, am not only stressed at home but also at work, working for DCP leads me to see the worst of people.. and yesterday I got called a dog C**t, not exactly what I want to hear at work.

OH can't even qualify for Newstart Benefits, due to me earning just above the povety level. He can't even go back on the tools here, as he is a sheet metal mechanic, and installed duct work in Canada and is not qualified as an Air Conditioning worker.

I have no family here and very few friends and just feel so lonely and at my wits end. I am trying to remain positive for the sake of my OH, however, some days it is harder to keep up the charade than others. Even for work, trying to keep up the charade that you are happy and everything is well is getting harder by the day.

One of the reasons for our move to Australia, was that my OH kept getting laid off during the winter back in Canada as he was considered in the construction field. I have spent 18 years dealing with job losses with him, and was looking forward to a fresh start here in Australia, well obviously, that hasn't happened, as he is out of work again.

I just feel that if I move back to Canada, at least I will have family and friends around, and I know that I can get a job back there no problem.

And before anybody says that we are better off staying here, sunshine does not put food on the table, feeling alone with no family around does not go away.

The lucky country might be good for some, but alas for us it has not been.

Cheers

Karen

Hi Karen so sorry this is how things feel for you i totally understand, i'm not saying i have any good answer...

We are very much thinking of going home also for different reasons, but i feel one of our reasons is the place , dont get me wrong its beautiful and all, but thats not enough for us to want to stay here (WA).

I see you live in the vines perhaps closer to the coast could benefit you , jobs etc. there seems a lot of job opportunities in osbourne park for example, or even as we are thinking a completely different state altogether, perhaps that could have an answer.

But I guess Canada would be great still especially the advantage of family being close by, which always (or usually, lol) helps.

We are considering Canada as one of our options as i have family in Vancouver, wish we had tried that first, probably would'nt be thinking like this now.

Any hoo all the vbest in what you decide and all the luck !!:hug:

Archived