Working Holiday Visa Peeps :)

BritChickx

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I went on a WHV in 2007/2008 and LOVED it. Working on my 457 app now and when we eventually go my OH will be on a WHV initially.

On my WHV I spent about 8/9 months in Adelaide working for a fantastic firm of Architects (who are now sponsoring my 457!)

During that time I travelled to Melbourne, Great Ocean Road, Coober Pedy, Alice (+ Uluru etc) and KI, all using Adelaide as a base.

Then did a month travelling from Sydney to Cairns with a girl I'd met on the great ocean road tour (we're amazingly good friends now, shared so many funny, brilliant and exciting times while travelling together - barely knew eachother at the start and loved eachother by the end!) Met so many people that i still consider friends nearly 3 years on now and just had the best time!

I did 2 weeks in Hong Kong on the way to Oz ... then a month in NZ and a month in America/ Canada before coming home to finish my degree!

Get out there, stay in hostels, do random jobs, drink yourself stupid, plonk yourself down beside random people and start a conversation and have the most fun you can squeeze into a year (or two!)... it'll be gone before you know it!

Happy to give any tips / tricks/ places to stay etc should any one want any info!

Caz

Yeah was good fun, was there for 2 nights (one night on the way up to Alice, one on the way back) worth it for a look but not sure if it'd be worth it if you're only on a 3 wk reccie tbh!

It's a full 10 hour drive up there and if you were just going there to see it i wouldn't say it's worth the effort!

A good spot on your way to Alice though, a welcome relief from the Stuart Hwy!

Yeah was good fun, was there for 2 nights (one night on the way up to Alice, one on the way back) worth it for a look but not sure if it'd be worth it if you're only on a 3 wk reccie tbh!

It's a full 10 hour drive up there and if you were just going there to see it i wouldn't say it's worth the effort!

A good spot on your way to Alice though, a welcome relief from the Stuart Hwy!

Cheers Caz,no i meant we WERE on a 3 week reccie,thats why i never bothered,thx:wubclub:

Ah ok... that makes more sense! not with it today! :daydreaming:

When you make it over proper I would recommend going... just go to see the madness of the place (and to go see the Breakaways where they filmed Mad Max!)

Hi all,

I went on a WHV in 2007/2008 and LOVED it. Working on my 457 app now and when we eventually go my OH will be on a WHV initially.

On my WHV I spent about 8/9 months in Adelaide working for a fantastic firm of Architects (who are now sponsoring my 457!)

During that time I travelled to Melbourne, Great Ocean Road, Coober Pedy, Alice (+ Uluru etc) and KI, all using Adelaide as a base.

Then did a month travelling from Sydney to Cairns with a girl I'd met on the great ocean road tour (we're amazingly good friends now, shared so many funny, brilliant and exciting times while travelling together - barely knew eachother at the start and loved eachother by the end!) Met so many people that i still consider friends nearly 3 years on now and just had the best time!

I did 2 weeks in Hong Kong on the way to Oz ... then a month in NZ and a month in America/ Canada before coming home to finish my degree!

Get out there, stay in hostels, do random jobs, drink yourself stupid, plonk yourself down beside random people and start a conversation and have the most fun you can squeeze into a year (or two!)... it'll be gone before you know it!

Happy to give any tips / tricks/ places to stay etc should any one want any info!

Caz

Great!!! I can't wait to get out there :) I'm hoping to do most of those!!

Hi cazbob,

Any tips on where to get work for the three months work, thats needed for the 2nd WHV.

We will be in and around perth, probably more north.

Staying with parents, but want to get a 2nd year out of it and then hopefully find a sponsor, so that i can stay out forever with the folks.

Hi Scott + Tina,

I didn't venture to Perth i'm afraid so i might not be much use.

If you want to do the fruit picking route then check out Harvest Trail - Harvest jobs - Australian JobSearch

the other option (and the one my OH will be taking when we're there) is to work in something other than fruit picking but in an rural area (the places that constiute rural areas are outlined here Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) )

so long as you do "specified work" in those areas for the 3 months it counts.... as my OH is a painter/decorator and we'll be in Adelaide he can work at the painting and it'll count!

Might be a better option for you if you're not into the agricultural stuff as I've heard from people that it can be really tough work!

from Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

Specified work is any type of work described in the list below:

• plant and animal cultivation
    • cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
    • general maintenance crop work
    • harvesting and/or packing fruit and vegetable crops
    • immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery in an abattoir, packing and tanning
      Note: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible
    • immediate processing of plant products
    • maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
    • manufacturing dairy produce from raw material
    • pruning and trimming vines and trees.

[*]fishing and pearling

• conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
    • conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell.

[*]tree farming and felling

• felling trees in a plantation or forest
    • planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
    • transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed.

[*]mining

• coal mining
    • oil and gas extraction
    • metal ore mining
    • non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
    • exploration and other mining support services not including secondary activities such as book-keeping, catering and transport.

[*]construction

• building construction
    • heavy and civil engineering construction
    • construction services including metal wall cladding fixing to buildings, petrol bowser installation, sand blasting or steam cleaning of building exteriors, scaffolding construction, waterproofing of building.

Anyway hope that's of some help!

Caz

Seems a few of us are going soon!! I cannot wait to get there, we arrive 19th Feb... so excited about buying the camper van and living/travelling in that for the year!! and of course seeing my Mum!

Brit, did you get a good flight deal? and are you stopping off anywhere on the way?

Hey there. We are heading over in March. We are arriving in Sydney for a week, then settling into Newcastle. We have an apartment booked for 3 weeks to give us chance to get a furnished rental. Then it's job hunt time!

We went over for a month in 2008 and toured around for a bit. We got back to the UK and looked at getting a house, but mortgage prices are crazy. So we thought what the hell, let's go to warmer climates for a bit.

We are definitely going with the mentality of what it would be like to live over there. If a sponsorship crops up we will take it and try to stay out there longer.

It's quite scary as we are both giving up good full time jobs, but at the same time it's exiting!

Roll on 2 months!

No good deal, it had actually gone up, booked with Singapore Airlines, thought I better book it now before it goes up even more! Stop off at Singapore for an hour and a half. What about you?

stopping at Hong Kong for 3 nights.. then onto Brissie airport.. hopefully will then not get too bad a jet lag? who knows.. i do know it wiped me out last time for quite a while!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peckanovski

I'm heading to Perth on a whv in March. Staying with a friend who has a caravan on the beach. Cant wait. It all seems a bit too good to be true.

Guest sh7t man no way

There isn't a section for people just travelling on a WHV, so I thought I'd start a thread for those who are planning to go out on a WHV within the next year or two, or for those who have gone out and want to share their experience. I know there are a few of you out there but I'm sure there's more, would be good for us to all chat on one thread! :cute:
excellant thread BC--im sure there heaps of people looking for info on WHV---if i knew a bit about WHV id give some advice--should be a good read this thread--thank you:wubclub:

agreed, good thread chick! thought you'd have got more responses though.

i'm a whv has been, went in january 2004 and loved it sooooo much that i ended up living that life style permanently lol 7 years later here i am in a shared house full of working holiday makers with my pr visa making them jealous lol :D

I'm also going out on a whv for 12 months then another 12 if everything goes well, but not going untill August though :sad: i just can't wait to get there lol

Went out to Oz on a WHV back end of 2005. Best thing we ever did and led to the job offer my wife got back in October.

Lived and worked in Sydney for 5 months. Bought a Ford Econovan did it up a bit with windows etc and kitted it out with a bed in the back. Travelled down to and around Tassie then up the east coast. Ran out of money, sold the van and then did vehicle relocations from Melbourne to Adelaide up to Alice/Ululru and on to Darwin. So many stories.

Good luck with it.

Archived