Just Want To Share

Guest guest30038

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much for sharing with us all, how fabulous. You must be so proud (as I am sure you have always been) and safe in the knowledge that your son has done you both justice as parents. Congrats x

Guest guest12791

You and bridget must be so proud, well done to your son for the support he has given to others, im sure he will be fantastic in his new role, big family celebration required i think xxxxx

Guest guest37336

Hi Kev.

Fantastic, siitting here with a tear welling up, can say no more, except well done to Jake and your whole family for what must be a truly fantastic time in your life.:notworthy: :wink:

Cheers Tony:wink:

Guest Benchola

That is absolutely jaw-droppingly fantastic, Kev. Really amazing stuff. Jake is a credit to you both.

He was a diamond lad when we came over to yours a few weeks ago and was superb with our little boy whilst all the 'adults' had a chat and a drink.

Made up for you guys and I sincerely hope that it works out.

Guest Guest31881

Hi kev,

That great news, now i have to explain to my wife, why I am sitting here with a tear in my eye. I am so pleased for Jake..........:hug::hug::hug:

Kev, I was welling up reading your OP - what a wonderful but fitting opportunity for Jake, and so typically generous of you to use what would have been his school fees to buy equipment for the school.

I have no doubt that Jake has inherited his battling spirit from two fantastic examples of parenthood - you have every right to bask in his achievements :hug:

Sue x

Our son Ethan has Autsim he is curriently 10, we are always fretting that he is getting enough help at school and getting on with other children. However his grades have gone from E's (experiencing difficulty) to now B's (above average). Lots of his peers come and talk to him and say they like him even though it can be a bit hit and miss whether he communicates with them, they just take him as he is. Basically because he was given a title of "special needs" at 4 we have always thought he would probally not fit in or get on with life, However how wrong we can be. Although we have to get him through high school i feel that he can do what ever he wants and wil encourage him all the way.

As in many of your posts

I have had a few tears Kev, well done to Jake I am so happy for him,and of course yourself and Bridget, he is a credit to you guys.

Good luck to him in his new position at the school, he will be a great asset to the students and teachers.

Laney x:hug:

Guest guest30038

Thanks everyone for your wonderful replies. :hug:

I picked Jake up from the railway station after school and watched him cross the platform and car park. He was stimming wildly, something that he doesn't normally do in public, so I could tell that he was "high" :laugh:

He got in the car, a big smile on his face, with his hands waving madly from the wrist down, so I asked him why he was so excited (he didn't know of our meeting with the school). He said, "I'll tell you when we get home and mum gets up"

Bridget came downstairs on our arrival home and asked him if he had any news on re-sitting year 12 and he turned his back as he was making us a cup of tea and I could see that he had a huge smile on his face, and once again, the arms started flailing wildly :biglaugh:

He turned round and just said, "I've decided that I'm going to stay on at school but not as a pupil"..........again, more flapping of the arms accompanied by a huge mischievous grin :laugh: "After next term, I'm going to be a classroom assistant for at least a year, the school wants me to help them out with the other kids"

"That's wonderful Jake, we're so proud of you" said mum. "Stop it mum, you know you only embarass me when you say those things'" said Jake. :rolleyes:

He will never accept any praise of any kind and actually gets quite wound up whenever we try to heap some on him, so we let it go at that. It's something that I miss being able to do, to tell him what a great kid he is, but he won't have any of it :cry:

One of his duties will be to initially accompany other kids with disabilities, when they go on hospitality courses or work experience. Many ASD kids, due to sensory issues, don't like crowds and therefore, public transport can be a major issue for them. He will help them to read train time-tables (something he memorises) and accompany them on their first trips until such time as they can get themselves from A to B. It seems like only yesterday that we were discussing with his support teacher whether we should let him catch the train to school on his own and that we agreed that she would accompany him for the first few trips, and now, he'll be acting in her role! :jiggy:

He has another term at school after these holidays, during which, they will ask for a CV and interview him "officially" so that he will be familiar with the process for the future, should need arise, and so that he will think that he has "earned' the job on the strength of his interview and ability.

The future is looking good.

kev

Guest guest33730

Kev,

I have been waiting patiently for your update - that is such good news that he is excited.

I told Mrs Sunshine Jakes story over dinner last night and got choked up again - she was so impressed with the school and we were both left wondering whether the same opportunity would have been there for him in the UK.

Anyway - all the best again. let us know how he gets on next year please.

Daniel

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi kev

And congratulations to Jake and we are really pleased about this.

But kev................. you shouldn't be surprised, we could see how bright and intelligent Jake was and i know you see this also and he is such a kind person and clearly the school have seen this also and see him as an asset.

He will be of great help and importence to the other pupils and this is a reflection, not only on Jake, but it just shows what great parents you and Brigit are and you should feel like the proudest parents in the world.

Will you pass on our congratulations to Jake and mention that we talk fondly about him regularly and that he made such a great impression on us when we were at your house.

I am bowled over by that school. They seem wonderful. I love that they are also going to make it an interview experience for him too.

Not sure if you know that I have recently started working as a disability support worker for a wonderful organisation here in Gladstone. The "boss" has an adult son with autism and we have many others as service users. Would you mind if I "anonymously" told them about this story? I am sure it would blow them away!

HUGE congratulations to Jake and to you both.

Guest smileykylie

What a great story kev - if only all schools/employers could see what people with Autism have to offer and use the many strengths they have instead of focusing on barriers. Bloody fantastic. He is lucky also to have parents that can see the great things he has to offer, you must be chuffed and deserve a pat on the back for raising such a great kid.

How lovely, your little big man is going out into the big wide world with a huge positive future ahead of him. To impress the school to that extent is excellent news and a fabulous start to his adult life. Just think how good is that for future employers and furthering his education in that field (that is if he wants to). All my best wishes to you all. Ley x

Archived