Mandurah, tell me what its like?

Guest Batfinktasha

Guest Batfinktasha

Hi Everyone

Our time in the UK is coming to an end, offer has come in on our house and now we have start looking for places to live/rent. We have been drawn to Mandurah as we did visit briefly over christmas but more so because you get a bit more for your dollar house wise. Another factor for me is the art scene. I have read it has a festival hall with out door performances, art exhibitons etc..

Could anyone tell me what Mandurah is really like to live in. Its just me and my Partner aged 33 and 36 and sox the cat.

My partners work may well take him away from our home so Im looking for a place with a good community , a place I can meet people easily and of course be able to get involved with the local art community, also what are the pubs like or evening entertainment.I understand its only 45 mins on the train from Perth which is good also Any info would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance:jiggy:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi Everyone

Our time in the UK is coming to an end, offer has come in on our house and now we have start looking for places to live/rent. We have been drawn to Mandurah as we did visit briefly over christmas but more so because you get a bit more for your dollar house wise. Another factor for me is the art scene. I have read it has a festival hall with out door performances, art exhibitons etc..

Could anyone tell me what Mandurah is really like to live in. Its just me and my Partner aged 33 and 36 and sox the cat.

My partners work may well take him away from our home so Im looking for a place with a good community , a place I can meet people easily and of course be able to get involved with the local art community, also what are the pubs like or evening entertainment.I understand its only 45 mins on the train from Perth which is good also Any info would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance:jiggy:

We only spent the day there and they pronounce it Mandra, i think.lol:laugh:

We loved it there, we spent most of the day on the estuary on a speed boat and we swam in the sea and watched the dolphins, we also pulled up at a restaurant, shopping area on the sea and had a meal, it was brilliant.

There is a lovely little man made beach and the sea was blue clear and warm, it was heaven. There is a sprinkling of shops and restaurants and play areas for the kids and barbecue areas overlooking the sea, we thought it was a lovely place.

Best of luck, i am sure you will love it.

Hi, We live in Meadow Springs on the outskirts of Mandurah. Personally we love it here, although we've only been here for 4 months. There is an art exibition on in Mandurah at the moment. there's usually something going on around & about. There are a few bars too along the foreshore, the Irish pub is probably one of the favourites, they also have live bands etc on aswell & good food. I think you would love it here. We love it because of the wildlife personally, but whatever you're into there's clubs & stuff going on all the time. Hope this is of some help, feel free to ask if theres anything else you want to know. X

Mandurah is a nice place but you might be a bit young for it. I don't know it that well but a few older people tend to move down there for retirement.

They have had a few problems lately in the town centre where teenage parties have gotten out of control and the police have had a hard time controlling the kids. Quite a bit of vandalism and antisocial behaviour. It makes the papers and news here though when that kind of thing happens so it might have been blown up a bit by the local press. Pictures on the news looked pretty bad though. It probably wouldn't have got a mention in the UK.

There are so many places North and South which are closer to Perth and would be just as nice. I would suggest renting for while and have a good look around. We live in the Northern suburbs near Hillarys and love it. There are a few posts on here from people in Secret Harbour who love that area so there is a lot to look at and consider.

All the best.

hi we are moving out of mandurah been here 18months,not much going on alot of ferrel people around and about (people with no shoes on)

we are in our 40s and only one good place is M on the point for a drink unless you want to have a laugh in murphys to see the old men after the young women and also the young men after the old women and they love to dance its a eye opener!!

was nice when we first arrived and yes made friends,

yes lots of older people ,no jobs down here too.

nothing for the 14 plus age group unless you are into sport.

seascapes ,halls head lots of people with young families (0 to 10yrs)

foreshore is lovely to sit and have a coffee,but i think you are both to young .

we have decided to move closer to perth. you could have a rental for 6months give it a go and then move on.

Guest Batfinktasha

thanks for all your replies, ummm gonna have a think now, we are definately renting first so maybe give it try, but think w will rent nearer to Perth for starters, thanks all again. txx

• 1 month later...
Guest tim_the_taf

It used to be a nice quiet fishing type place, with a great chippie and a bunch of pelicans who tried their best to pinch your fish n chips. Then some idjit in the government decided it would be good to ruin it and build thousands of houses, and turn it into another city. The poor old pelicans got pushed out and ended up at Penguin Island. So, in my view (apologies to all who live there and like it), I can't stand the place. Totally ruined, full of mossies and housing estates and not a lot else. Lots of much nicer places around.

Guest Batfinktasha

We are begining to think this isnt the place for us! not enough going on I think and I havent seen many rave reviews, thanks tim the taf. tx

Guest tim_the_taf
We are begining to think this isnt the place for us! not enough going on I think and I havent seen many rave reviews, thanks tim the taf. tx

no problem. start near perth, get your feet, then figure out if you want to move somewhere else.

Ok this is how it went for us !!!

When we went for 6 weeks in 2007 we had a 3 year old and a 9 month old, we stayed with friends in perth and wasnt keen on north of the river and really loved mandurah.

Then in may this year we went back to validate our golden ticket :notworthy:

After 2 years of researching south of the river found that now we had a 6 year old and a 4 year old we were looking more into what they will need in 10 years time and this is where we fell in love with hillarys harbour and surroundung areas !!!

So for us lot we will be heading north of the river but not to far !!!!

For some people they have jobs already in certain areas we dont have that so we were able to choose but the main thing to remember is where ever you go you will be surrounding by beautiful beaches and lovely people.

So good luck with finding your area xx

Good idea to stay perth when you first get there so you are cental to all areas.

Emma and Gang

if you want it quiet i mean nothing except beach, south, you want a bit of life meaning more things around, north of Perth is better , Hillary's is a beautiful area . Unfortunately were off home wish we stayed up northside, all the best

We have been in the south part of Mandurah for two years and love it. We are both 40 and i work away from home. It feels very safe which is good for me knowing my partner is on her own.

It hasnt got a massive pub scene, but we like that and when we want it we just jump on the train to Perth - its only 50 mins away. We are both 40 and like a mix of things to see and do including eating out, going for a drink, cinema and theatre. We can do all of it in Mandurah

My wife is an artist and loves the area and there is a good smattering of artists and craftspeople along with several art groups in the area.

The property rentals are a fraction of the cost in Perth and unless you have a lot of $$$ getting a nice place in a nice area in Perth is impossible. We are in Dawesville and have a great house - big with a pool, right opposite a great beach where we can swim with the dolphins for $325 a week - less than a 1 bedroom appartment in Perth.

Finaly, this is not for definate, but the council working in conjunction with the federal goverment are looking at making mandurah the Australian centre for opera, which would bring a lot more art of all types into town

• 5 months later...
Guest Batfinktasha

Hi All

Thanks for all the advice, been ages since I read it and our situation has changed. We arrived in Jan, we are living in northern suburbs of Perth at the mo and my partner got work on a big job at the airport. however after a 50 mins commute and being stuffed into the trains in the morning and doing a 50 hour week he decided this was not what we came here for, we could have stayed in London for that!!

We have taken a few reccies down south and Loved 'Halls head', in passing for a view to check out the area we popped into a open house.... which we fell in love with, just 400 meters from the beach too.

Anyway to cut a long story short we have put an offer in and will see if we can approved the finance. My partner has secured a job in Mandurah starting in May which is a 38 hour week, 10 mins drive from Halls head which he is much happier about.

Im expecting twins!! oh my goodness.... in about 4-7 weeks time also so its all happening. I think Mandurah sounds like a great place we are definately up for the quiet life having experienced Perth for a few months, not that having twins will be quiet. But it sounds like its a good place to raise them whilst they are young. Does anyone know if there are mother and baby groups near Halls head and also what the local hospital is like?

Anyway if we are lucky enough to get the property we are after I would love to meet people and get together once we have moved down which should be around June /July. Hello all to all in Mandurah cant wait to get there and settle.:notworthy:

so glad you gave Mandurah another go, especially Halls Head which is where we are :wink:

We have been here 2.5 years and loved it from day one! Good luck with the birth of the twins and feel free to send me a PM when you get down here, I'm available for coffee, chat if you fancy it.

Jill xx

p.s sorry forgot to say: haven't used the hospital that much, but a friend had her baby there with no complaints and my kids are a little bit old for playgroups now, but i do know of a few (have a friend who works for family services so could pick her brains for you too!) x

Guest Batfinktasha
so glad you gave Mandurah another go, especially Halls Head which is where we are :wink:

We have been here 2.5 years and loved it from day one! Good luck with the birth of the twins and feel free to send me a PM when you get down here, I'm available for coffee, chat if you fancy it.

Jill xx

p.s sorry forgot to say: haven't used the hospital that much, but a friend had her baby there with no complaints and my kids are a little bit old for playgroups now, but i do know of a few (have a friend who works for family services so could pick her brains for you too!) x

Thank you Jill, I would love to meet up for a coffee and a chat once we are there, prehaps I could pick your brains then too :jiggy:about your friend who works for family services. So glad you like it there and makes me feel we are doing the right thing also. Will def PM you in the near future, take care and thank you.

Tasha xx

Hi Tasha, We're also on meadow Springs. Good luck with the house & birth of your babies , may it be an easy birth! There are a few of us from around the area that meet up so send a PM when you are down here & settled & I'll let you know when we meet up. One of the families is in Halls Head. Can't help with hospital or mum & baby groups either I'm afraid, luckily we haven't needed to visit yet! :) X

Guest Batfinktasha
Hi Tasha, We're also on meadow Springs. Good luck with the house & birth of your babies , may it be an easy birth! There are a few of us from around the area that meet up so send a PM when you are down here & settled & I'll let you know when we meet up. One of the families is in Halls Head. Can't help with hospital or mum & baby groups either I'm afraid, luckily we haven't needed to visit yet! :) X

Hi Cazz, thanks for that, Im hoping it will be an easy birth too!! fingers and toes crossed. I would def like to meet up as wont know a soul so thank you so much for the invite. Will PM you once like you say we have settled. Im going to ask my current hospital about after care down there, so hopefully they can guide me in the right direction. Thanks again. :wink:

Tasha xx

Hi just wanted to join this thread, we are moving to Mandurah around xmas time, have just booked our flights for november 30th but going to spend a couple of weeks nor with some friends initially. We have 2 kids 8 and 5 and will be looking to rent. How quickly can a property be rented out there? We dont want to outstay our welcome at our friends and would like to get the kids into school for the start of the term so need to get somewhere asap. Can anyone recommend a site for furnished rental/holiday rental etc thats not too pricy? Or have a property that is rented for short term, Not really sure of area yet, but would consider Halls Head, Mandurah, Meadow Springs Madora Bay etc

Thanks for any help

Michelle

Guest Batfinktasha

Hi Littlem

I would register for the perth migration forum at the bottom of this page as sometimes rentals are advertised on there too. Im not sure about rentals in Mandurah but when we had to find one in Perth we had to be in the country. You go to the house when its open (normally 15-30 mins) lots of other people show up also to view as well as yourself, if you like it then you fill out an application form, they then choose which application to go with, you could be up against a few other people. We ended up offering more than than the rental price in order to get a home in the end as we applied for 6 houses and were getting no where ( however having the cat caused us a bit of a problem) which you may not have. You could organise a holiday let which would short term, however these are more expensive than renting. Most rentals are for 6months -12. We are about to break our bond so will have to pay to get out of it as we are buying sooner than we thought, something I imagine you would want to avoid. one holiday let place I know is http://www.stayz.com.au/

There is also these for rentals

www.aussiehome.com

http://www.perthfurnishedrentals.com/

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent

http://www.domain.com.au

I dont think the rentals in Mandurah will be in as much demand as they are in Perth so hopefully it wont take you too long. I didnt try and organise it from the uk, instead organised from our friends whom we stayed with in Perth to start with as we were able to go and see them before hand, took about 3 weeks to sort, however I think a short term holiday let can be organised from the uk, once you are in there you can spend time looking for the right long term rental. Anyway hope any of this helps and good luck with the move, maybe see you in Mandurah one day !!

Kind Regards Tasha xx:jiggy:

Mandurah is at its busiest at Christmas time. Lots of people come down from Perth and stay in Mandurah so it could be very busy holiday let wise. But stayz.com is a very good site for furnished rentals.:wubclub:

Oh and we booked ours from the UK for 1 month and managed to find our long term rental within 3 weeks.

Archived