All Vehicle - Mechanics Thread

Guest Noodle

Guest bscott1983

Got a job at Doncaster BMW in Melbourne, I just emailed loads of dealers and one came back and said they were interested. process has been so quick and easy it's crazy.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest izoomzoom

Did you have your IELTS and Vetassess done before you applied to the (Doncaster BMW) dealer ?

Guest Andy and Linda
Got a job at Doncaster BMW in Melbourne, I just emailed loads of dealers and one came back and said they were interested. process has been so quick and easy it's crazy.

Hi

Did you get sponsored or did you have a visa already? We got a friend that is looking at getting sponsored by a garage in Melbourne, any advise?

Thanks

Linda and Andy:biggrin:

Guest munkeybach

Hi everybody, glad that the wk is out there, I am hoping to get out to early next year to register the visa, our destination is Victoria preferably Melbourne and will be putting my cv and letters together Just before I go, main dealership would be preferable. Has anybody got any advice about working out there? I have heard they like the workshop banter! Be Kool eveybody!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gazmundo

hi there i have just started off my visa and have been told there is now a oral test being introduced for mechanics where they just ask you questions on line live chat by an assessor, didnt know if you have heard of it before

Guest Tony4052
hi there i have just started off my visa and have been told there is now a oral test being introduced for mechanics where they just ask you questions on line live chat by an assessor, didnt know if you have heard of it before

Have a look here http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/ts_assessment_process.cfm

The process has changed somewhat from when I did mine....

Guest perth42

Hello

I'm hoping some mechanics who are in Oz can help out on this one.... Just to give some basic info...I've got a job lined up to start second week in August. My oh (main visa holder) is the mechanic and we are not sure if to try and sort something out as I have so he can start shortly after arriving. Or if he'll have to wait the 6-8 wks for his tools to arrive to be able to actively go and look for work and sort out a start date. Also how "clean" do his oily tools need to be?

Any advice would be fab ;-) cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all just thought i would revive this thread! I'm a 23 year old HGV mechanic making the move to melbourne hopefully within the next 3-4 weeks, just waiting on my 457 being submitted and approved. Any other HGV mechanics on here that have made the move?

Hi Andy, great news. I am a Car Mechanic and have also worked on HGV's for many years in the past!

I am off to Canberra on a 176 SS Visa, with my wife and Step-Daughter at the end of October!

We are flying from Manchester to Dubai for 3 nights and then on to Thailand for a week before arriving in Sydney. Then after the w/end in Sydney, we are off to Canberra to start our new lives!!

I have a job with a Holden Dealer and start mid November 2011.

Good luck with all your plans.

Steve,Wendy+Georgia

Everything's happening a bit fast for me, just had 2 e-mails there from the visa executive and Scania saying that's the application submitted, so it's time to get the health insurance sorted an hopefully in 3 weeks time we will have the all clear to get up and go.

I can't believe the difference in my contract for my current work and the new work, uk seems to be years behind. Paying less and wanting more while Australia pays 3 to 4 times as much with plenty add ons, it's as if the company wants to keep you instead of trying to force you out!

Hi Andy, great news. I am a Car Mechanic and have also worked on HGV's for many years in the past!

I am off to Canberra on a 176 SS Visa, with my wife and Step-Daughter at the end of October!

We are flying from Manchester to Dubai for 3 nights and then on to Thailand for a week before arriving in Sydney. Then after the w/end in Sydney, we are off to Canberra to start our new lives!!

I have a job with a Holden Dealer and start mid November 2011.

Good luck with all your plans.

Steve,Wendy+Georgia

Glad to see everythings going ok ,keep in touch ,ive spoke to Ric a few times .We are heading out to Adelaide in may and ive not even thought about sorting a job as yet,still have loads to sort out.

So good look to you and your family, Kev.

I'm looking for a little bit help here, who did you all use for shipping your tools over? I'm taking my snap-on top chest with me and I'm just goin to fill it with everything, whos the cheapest for flying these to oz? help is much appreciated!

• 2 months later...

Well thought i would put my little bit in here. After having a fair bit of interest but things taking so long its looking like i'm going to come across on a WHV and hope to pick up some work as a mechanic that way. Anyone else done anything like this before? Had any joy with jobs etc.

Cheers

Gav

Everything's happening a bit fast for me, just had 2 e-mails there from the visa executive and Scania saying that's the application submitted, so it's time to get the health insurance sorted an hopefully in 3 weeks time we will have the all clear to get up and go.

I can't believe the difference in my contract for my current work and the new work, uk seems to be years behind. Paying less and wanting more while Australia pays 3 to 4 times as much with plenty add ons, it's as if the company wants to keep you instead of trying to force you out!

What is the hourly rate for an unqualified mechanic with 17 years experience? What kind of add ons?

Hello Megmor,

My family and i are coming over to validate our visa in 2 weeks ,can you tell me the average wages per month i can expect .i'm a fully qualified tec with 20 years experiance on cars vans light trucks plant and deisel powered lifeboats.the info would be gratefully apreciated.

Thanks Neil

well the average wage for a technician for my company goes from $25-$30 per hour, with 1 + 1/2 time for the first 3 hours overtime, then 2 x time for any hours after that. Also get tool allowances, meal allowances, if you work a saturday u also get a subway bought for u :) very good conditions, with all the training you need. I'm very happy, I feel as though I have achieved more since coming here 2 months ago than I did in the previous 7 years at my old job. Have a look at www.osborne.ie as thats the recruitment agency that got me here in less than 5 months.

All I'm going to say is go for it, best thing you could ever do.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, we've been in NSW now for 13 months. Its a good life and we made the right choice for us to up and leave Wales in search of something new. We have started the process for PR and hubby has a technical interview with Vetassess on Friday. I've searched everywhere and cant find any sort of information on what to expect. Has anyone recently sat the interview who can shed some light on it - even silly things like what to wear would be great....

Well thats me signed my contract with a company now.

I was looking at buying my tools when i come to OZ. What are the best places to get them?

Is there any tool makes across there to avoid at all costs?

How do you get your tools to places when you are fly in fly out? I could have about 2-300 kilo of tools to hump about all the time

Any help would really be appreciated

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I'm nearly done with my 457 visa application to move to rural Queensland for a company called Black Toyota who have dealerships in Dalby, Oakey, Chinchilla, Roma, Emerald and one or two others. I'm just waiting to get a couple of bits of evidence certified then all my paperwork is complete and have been told the visa should only take 3/4 weeks to process from there. My main query is who have people been using to ship toolboxes? Is it worth selling up and buying new stuff over there? and what are the average costs for either air or boat shipments? Also if anyone else is either going to any of the above areas, lives in any of them or knows anything about them, any information or just a quick hello would be greatly appreciated. I'll be going on my own and am 26(almost) so would be great to hear from anyone in a similar situation to share ideas and experiences with regards making the move, cheers :)

On my contract it says Roma but having looked at the map it seems very out of the way so ideally I'd rather be at Oakey or Dalby, somewhere a bit closer to civilisation. I was told at the interview they could be flexible with all this so with any luck it should be fine. Really looking forward to making the move and knowing that there's already some expats working for the company was a great reassurance from the start. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly and I'll be over asap

Archived