All Vehicle - Mechanics Thread

Guest Noodle

Guest perth42
Hey Lou, thanks for your response. Can't believe you are all still waiting to get approved, things have changed so much. Have they given anyone an indication as to how much time it will take?

Ley x

Hi Ley

No indication given :eek: but called my agent last week and they said 3 months!!!:mad: At the time of talking to them they said no-one from Concept in Manchester had an approved email!!! I was really hoping it was going to be today but nothing its 7 wks since we lodged with WA and 3 wks since the assessed email. I'm tempted to email them but not sure if that means we will got to the bottom of the pile again!! :cry:

Will keep you posted on when if at all the approve us....

Where are you hoping to settle?

lou xx

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest roaminnomore

Goodevening to you Lou, we seemed to be at the top of the pile (I think!) when the doors closed last Jan which was better for us as we had not sold the house. As luck had it Vic released the SMP first and it worked for us but, the way things are at present there seems to be no order. Could your agent telephone and find out what is going on?

We are heading for Vic, Geelong on the 5th and we will be sorting out our TFN, Medicare and schooling when we get there. Going to have a pretty full on week and just can't wait to get a long term rental, the accomodation seems to have been my bugbear more than anything in this whole process, poss. because of the 3 rugrats!!! I am in the mind set of things will just fall into place as and when it is right.

I can honestly say, staying with someone for this first week has enabled us to relax a little and pick up little hints and tips of day to day life. I think I just feel like we could be anywhere in the world at present but at least I know where to buy a toothbrush now!!! :biggrin:

Went on a girlie shopping expadition yesterday with my half sister (only just met this week and she is 27), she talked to me about and took me to all the shops that everyone talks about on here, spoke to me about schooling, tax etc. which really helped.

Going ot have a brew (like lipton) and some cereal and then dive h=ead first into the suitcases yet again...

Ley x

Hey Ley, It's great to hear you are doing so well and getting settled. It sounds like a weight off your mind knowing that the job is OK and I'm sure you can't wait to get stuck into day to day life.

So pleased for you. Keep us updated on what your up to and how you are getting on. Oh and enjoy your brew!

Good Luck

Dawn x:wubclub:

Well less than 3 weeks till the Vetassess practical tests (diesel mechanic) ,I know that 2 others have posted on here with the same date as me.So what are you brushing up on ,ive had the multimeter out and I'm trying to second guess the questions ,but that's impossible.

I've managed to speak on the phone with a guy who's taken the test and he's settled me down abit .

So what are the rest of you doing to prepare for the test.

Kevin.

Guest perth42

Hi Ley, sounds like you've hit the ground running so the waiting time allowed you to get a good action plan together :biggrin:

Some people have had movement on WA SS today which was reasuring as they had appeared to have gone quite. You never know what tomorrow will being....something or nothing (latter I suspect!) I dont want to ring them in case we get put to the bottom of the pile!! :eek: I'm wonder if that's what happened when we emailed to ask for some kind of written confirmation that they had all our docs and application.

Will keep you posted if/when we get some news. Good luck with tfn... You can tell us how hard it was to obtain :wink:

Lou xx

Goodevening to you Lou, we seemed to be at the top of the pile (I think!) when the doors closed last Jan which was better for us as we had not sold the house. As luck had it Vic released the SMP first and it worked for us but, the way things are at present there seems to be no order. Could your agent telephone and find out what is going on?

We are heading for Vic, Geelong on the 5th and we will be sorting out our TFN, Medicare and schooling when we get there. Going to have a pretty full on week and just can't wait to get a long term rental, the accomodation seems to have been my bugbear more than anything in this whole process, poss. because of the 3 rugrats!!! I am in the mind set of things will just fall into place as and when it is right.

I can honestly say, staying with someone for this first week has enabled us to relax a little and pick up little hints and tips of day to day life. I think I just feel like we could be anywhere in the world at present but at least I know where to buy a toothbrush now!!! :biggrin:

Went on a girlie shopping expadition yesterday with my half sister (only just met this week and she is 27), she talked to me about and took me to all the shops that everyone talks about on here, spoke to me about schooling, tax etc. which really helped.

Going ot have a brew (like lipton) and some cereal and then dive h=ead first into the suitcases yet again...

Ley x

Guest bscott1983

hi everybody, Ive spoken to bmw dealer in melbourne and they seem very keen, they are looking into extra sponsorship places so fingers crossed. ive not heard anything for almost two weeks now and I hate not knowing whats going on but these things take time!! :-( just want to know because it feels like my life is on hold at the moment.

Can someone give me some more info into the technical assesment? not sure what it entails and also not sure if I would have to do it as Im a bmw technician and Im hopefully being sponsored by a bmw dealer??

love reading everybodies updates and very jealous of those of you that r in oz already!!!!

Guest 77farming77

Hi , I am new to this site but have really enjoyed reading the threads about all you other mechanic's out there trying to get to Oz.

Is there anyone out there that can hopefully answer some questions for me.

I have relatives in Oz that say they would be able to get me a sponsered job in Oz.

Problem is I am 54 but have managed a local garage for years and I am a M.O.T tester, have a HGV licence and have also been a sheep farmer for years. Am I right in believing there is no age limit on the tempory 457 visa, which allows you to work in Oz for up to 4 years.

Am I also right in believing that visa could possibly be then transferred to a permanant visa at a later date, if you still have the position, would this be correct even at my age?

If I stand a chance, where do I begin to obtain a 457 visa and how long do they take to process.

Any help would be greatly received.

Hi esme, good to hear from you.

We are moving to Perth so I don't know about brisbane but is motor mechanic not on their smp? Have you tried contacting the main dealers which your hubby has experience with about sponsorship? Just a thought if you have your heart set on Brisbane.

Notice you are from Cheshire, which is not far from me, I live in sunny Irlam just across the ship canal!

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Dawn x

Hi Dawn, i think were going to go down the route of a temp visa but i think it's going to depend on where i get a post grad position as i think ste will get a job anywhere, well hopefully! Will keep you posted as might end up your way, getting to the point that i'm not bothered where we start out, as long as its a million miles from the uk lol! Good luck with everything, Lisa x x

Guest ed and jen

Hi everyone

my other half is a motor mechanic, and we contacted an agent in feb 2010. We want to go to perth. Ed done the vetassess in may, he had to go to accrington. He was really worried, but neednt have been. He found the day quite easy as it was every day things he does at work. What a relief! All our paper work was ready to submit by the end of june 2010, for the state sponsorship, and then the visa application. Then due to the australian goverment and sponsorships being halted, we had to wait until december 20th to lodge the state sponsor application. A year has already gone by and we are still waiting for the ok. When it was lodged we where told two to four weeks. So far we have parted with roughly four thousand pounds. The pound isnt good against the dollar at the mo, so the cost of the visa is 2525 aud about £1500. We still have the medicals at £250 each the police checks of £35 each. Then hopefully we will finally get the ok. Fingers crossed. We are hoping if we do get the big yes there will be someone out there we can share a container with. The lowest quote we have for just a rough idea is £3000. So there you are!! Lets all keep in touch. Good luck to you all.

Jen & ed

Guest bscott1983

Hi Jen and ed, sounds like u have been right through it!! Everyone I've spoken to seems to have had a fast Process, but I guess as they stopped it for a while u may have got lost in the system with all the new applicants, but hopefully your decision is very close now!!! it's still early days for me and my girlfriend but I'm hoping to hear back from a dealer about sponsorship next week, I was hoping it was this week I would hear but that's governments for u I guess!!!! where abouts r u hoping to go?

Good luck

Ben

Guest ed and jen

hi ben

thanks for your reply we are hoping to go to north perth clarkson, carramar, kinross area. what about you?

ed& jen

Guest bscott1983

Melbourne to start, that's where the most work is at the mo, and my auntie uncle and cousin live there so it's free accommodation for a while which is a massive help.

Good luck and I hope u hear something soon

Ben

Hi everyone

my other half is a motor mechanic, and we contacted an agent in feb 2010. We want to go to perth. Ed done the vetassess in may, he had to go to accrington. He was really worried, but neednt have been. He found the day quite easy as it was every day things he does at work. What a relief! All our paper work was ready to submit by the end of june 2010, for the state sponsorship, and then the visa application. Then due to the australian goverment and sponsorships being halted, we had to wait until december 20th to lodge the state sponsor application. A year has already gone by and we are still waiting for the ok. When it was lodged we where told two to four weeks. So far we have parted with roughly four thousand pounds. The pound isnt good against the dollar at the mo, so the cost of the visa is 2525 aud about £1500. We still have the medicals at £250 each the police checks of £35 each. Then hopefully we will finally get the ok. Fingers crossed. We are hoping if we do get the big yes there will be someone out there we can share a container with. The lowest quote we have for just a rough idea is £3000. So there you are!! Lets all keep in touch. Good luck to you all.

Jen & ed

Hi Jen & ed ,are costs are about the same as yours as were using an agent ,I'm only at the early stage yet ,just need to get this practical test over and I will feel a lot better ,Good luck with your move.

Kevin.

Guest Tony4052

Got the results back from my Competency Profile (Paper-based) Assessment Diesel Motor Mechanic [Heavy vehicle road transport] (ANZSCO: 321212) and came back as Level 1.

Just booked my Practical Assessment 23 Feb 11. Is anyone else out there on the same day / week?

Guest Tony4052
hi there tony, well done on your paper assessment a good feeling aint it,

i got my practical on the 22 feb at the college of north west london.

where you doing yours ? and have you got the date right, your message made me panic and recheck my date lol !

I have mine also at the College Of North West London. The 22 Feb was fully booked, so I took the 23 Feb.

Are you going for heavy or light? and have you managed to find any info on what the practical assessments might entail?

Some of the advice in the advice in the Candidate Guide is a bit misleading...

I have mine also at the College Of North West London. The 22 Feb was fully booked, so I took the 23 Feb.

Are you going for heavy or light? and have you managed to find any info on what the practical assessments might entail?

Some of the advice in the advice in the Candidate Guide is a bit misleading...

Hi I'm going for the heavy,you will have to read through the posts on here ,there's a fair bit about cars but not a lot about heavy diesel.

Guest SteNRach
Got the results back from my Competency Profile (Paper-based) Assessment Diesel Motor Mechanic [Heavy vehicle road transport] (ANZSCO: 321212) and came back as Level 1.

Just booked my Practical Assessment 23 Feb 11. Is anyone else out there on the same day / week?

Hi Tony

Congrats on passing your first part of the Asessment.

Hubby is taking his Practical Assessment 22nd Feb College of North West London.

Good luck for yours

Guest ed and jen

hi all

for those of you who are doing your practical assessment and are really worried. please dont be!!! i took mine in may of last year and had to travel from hailsham east sussex ,all the way to accrington in lancashire! they had stopped doing the practical assessment in london when i had to do mine. anyway i was really worried about what i would have to do and would people be friendly, would i pass. i was in a real stew over it. i need not have worried, as when i arrived i was made very welcome and they where pleasant guys, the assessor was a great chap and i felt relaxed. i done various tasks, which i do in my day to day duties. i had a one to one interview which was very relaxed, and done all the tasks asked of me with ease. so you will be fine. the day went really quickly and we even finished earlier than expected. i had my results within ten days. passed at level one. its been a long wait to submit the state sponsorship, as you all know they closed for a few months. anyway good luck to you all

ed

Archived