All Vehicle - Mechanics Thread

Guest Noodle

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi all, just had my vetassess practical come though for the 22nd feb, heavy mechanic in london!

wish me luck and plz pass on any tips advice from anyone who has been though this!!

Hi everyone first post ,

I'm also booked in on same day for the heavy mechanic in london ,and would also like any info or advice on the practical test.

Good look majestic and will see you there

Guest SteNRach
hi all, just had my vetassess practical come though for the 22nd feb, heavy mechanic in london!

wish me luck and plz pass on any tips advice from anyone who has been though this!!

Hi, just recently booked my hubby's ( Stephen ) Practical test, 22nd Feb in London too! Thought it was never going to come as they had originally planned to have a date in November but cancelled. Fingers crossed he passes and then on to the visa application!!! not even sure which visa to apply for :confused:

Just praying to live the dream

Hi, just recently booked my hubby's ( Stephen ) Practical test, 22nd Feb in London too! Thought it was never going to come as they had originally planned to have a date in November but cancelled. Fingers crossed he passes and then on to the visa application!!! not even sure which visa to apply for :confused:

I'm only up the road from you, in Kendal,they had asked me to fly out to south africa for the test ,as i'm 45 in june and need it all in before then ,so quite happy to drive down to london ,a lot less hassle

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi everyone first post ,

I'm also booked in on same day for the heavy mechanic in london ,and would also like any info or advice on the practical test.

Good look majestic and will see you there

Hi and welcome to PIO.:wubclub:

I found this its more for light vehicals but it gives you a bit of an idea what the testers are looking for.I found it on here Light Vehicle mechanic vetassess test : British Expat Discussion Forum

My heads just pickled:confused:

I thought i would do a little write up about the practical test for the light vehicle mechanic i done mine a few weeks ago which i just logged on to find out i was succesful. Im 23 so not that long qualified.

At the test i was crapping it until about 12 oclock, and in the end i thought i done rubbish to be honest so im not sure how they grade you.

right il start with the tasks

1- Measure the taper and ovality of a crankshaft and camshaft, measure brake disc thickness and the runout.

2- Check a battery using a drop tester and the acid tester

3- Replace a injector on a petrol engine really easy as the engine is on a engine stand not in a car

4- Timing belt on a 2.0 ecotec engine vetra, they have timing tools so really simple

5- Remove a strut from a rover 25, Just remove a strut you dont have to take the spring off,

6- Remove brake pads from a rover 25.

7- Check for brake lights not working on a mondeo its not the bulbs, they just want you to write out the steps on how you would diagnose

the fault.

8- Carry out a coolant pressure test sure its on a rover

9- check 3 thermostats with a kettle and a thermometer

10- check 3 cups of anti freeze

11- Remove a crown wheel from a rear diff and refit and measure im not sure what you measure to be honest i never done that one.

12- Check a charging system on a vectra

13- Measure a throttle postion sensor

Thats all the practicals that they said to do when i was there. I didnt do some of them but a few of the other guys done they ones. They have all the tools you will need i took a couple of my own like my own multi meter. If you dont know how to do something then just ask him he will say that to you. As he said everyone is good at somethings and carrys out diffrent jobs so he takes that into consideration.

They also ask you questions

1-What does coolant do?

2-Why is the cooling system pressurised

3-what should a battery drop to when you crank it over to start

4-If you turn a steering wheel left/right and it doesnt return to the centre what steering angles effect this?

5-If you have a pull to the left what steering angles effect this

6-What should you do when changing a fuse(comment sense)

7-What could happen to your emissions with an exhaust blow

8-Why should you check a catlyst after a misfire

9-What does the egr system do

Thats about as close as i can remember of what he asked me, You have to write them down on a bit of paper and explain a bit. The guy is good if you get it totally wrong he will explain it to u and then you write it down but you have to have some clue. He also will give you it back to have a think about if your answer is closee but needs a bit more explaining.

I think aslong as your willing to learn and have some clue you will be fine. I thought i done rubbish to be honest i was soo nervous my mind went blank but he does make you at ease. Very nice guy. So i wouldnt worry, even though you still will. I thought I would write this as there isnt much information on the mechanic practical compared to the joiner/electrician.

hope this was a help and goodluck who ever is nextthumbsup.gif

user_offline.gifquote.gif

Guest Guest47308

Thanks for that teamv

My hubby is what the aussies call a HD mechanic, and its good to get arough idea of what might be expected of him at his vetasses or whatever it is callled now!!! :unsure:

Good luck with your plans

Guest Tony4052

Hi Guys

Firstly good luck with your Vetassess assessments...

I have just (3 weeks ago) sent off the Trade Skills assessment for Diesel Motor Mechanic [Heavy vehicle road transport]. How long did this phase take you guys?

I was hoping to get on the Feb assessment, but this looks unlikely....

I would be very interested if you could post your experiences at the practical assessment. I have done some looking for info on the practical assessment on-line, but could only find what teamv has posted and the stuff below.

The assessment consists of workshop based tasks including engine mechanics, electrical diagnostics, suspension, steering, transmission .

Whilst carrying out jobs on a vehicle the assessor will ask you questions relating to the job in hand . ie timing belt replacement you would be asked what else you would check whilst carrying out repair -waterpump check -oil seal leaks ,etc... there is nothing to worry a fully skilled mechanic .

The assessment also includes a technical interview with the assessor again there is nothing to worry about as long as you are a time served mechanic .

The assessor was australian and very down to earth, there is nothing to designed to trip you up.

I was 1 of 4 mechanics being assessed so the assessor does keep a close eye on you and watches the way in which you work making sure you abide basic heath and safety procedures ie safety glasses keeping work area tidy.

The assessor will ask you indepth questions regarding engine management components, questions such as what is the purpose of an egr valve how and when does it work, if it was to fail what might the customer complain of basically the assessor has to make a decision on you in only two days so he is always asking questions relating to the job in hand.

If you are a time seved mechanic you will have no problems if you are trying to "blagg "it forget it and don't waste your money.

Hope this helps, Good luck everyone thumbsup.gif

Hi Good Luck with Vetassass.

Just wondering where about you are in Blackpool, as we are from Blackpool? I have passed My Vetassass Light Vehicle Practical and we have sent off for our Police Checks and have our Medicals next week, as we have a Case Officer. We are quite a bit further down the line in the Visa Process than yourselves, but would be good to keep in touch. You can send a Private Message If You Want To?

We are going to Canberra,where are you hoping to go to?

Steve+Wendy :jiggy:

Guest bscott1983

hi everybody, great thread!!!

Im a qualified BMW technician with 4 yrs main dealer experience and 4 yrs with renault main dealer ( 3yr apprenticship). Im looking to move to oz and work with my girlfriend who has also been in the motor trade for approx 7 years. I need to get a sponsor because i dont have the money to do it myself but reading these posts it seems like it might be hard??? Any one got any contacts or info on what to do etc. Im going there at the end of the year for a holiday to see family and i want to get a job sorted before if poss if not whilst im there.

please any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

ben

hi everybody, great thread!!!

Im a qualified BMW technician with 4 yrs main dealer experience and 4 yrs with renault main dealer ( 3yr apprenticship). Im looking to move to oz and work with my girlfriend who has also been in the motor trade for approx 7 years. I need to get a sponsor because i dont have the money to do it myself but reading these posts it seems like it might be hard??? Any one got any contacts or info on what to do etc. Im going there at the end of the year for a holiday to see family and i want to get a job sorted before if poss if not whilst im there.

please any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

ben

Hi Ben, try *********** (company starred out for threatening the forum) he was lookon for BMW main dealer experience for 457 visa, just depends where as WA is very limited, might be worth a go though.

Good luck, and let us know how you go on.

Dawn x

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, me and my husband are thinking of moving to Australia he is a mechanic I have been trying to find out about wages and how much he might earn so I can work out if we could afford to live. I was wondering if anybody who is already over there could let me know what the wages are like as I have tried looking on the job sites but most of them don't specify wages or and the ones that do vary greatly.

Thanks for your help.

Guest bscott1983

Hi Dawn,

I have already been in contact with ********** (company starred out for threatening the forum)

Thankyou for you comments. Just waiting to have interview with dealership now!!!!!

Cheers

Ben

Guest SteNRach
I'm only up the road from you, in Kendal,they had asked me to fly out to south africa for the test ,as i'm 45 in june and need it all in before then ,so quite happy to drive down to london ,a lot less hassle

Hi Teamv, sorry for the late post. I could'nt believe my eyes when I read that they asked you to fly to South Africa for your Assessment!! There ahve been some very helpfull posts on here to put peoples mind at ease regarding the Assessment so hopefully everyone on it will be fine. Good luck to you for yours. Where are you hoping to go in Oz?

Vetassess Profile Assessment passed July 2010.Vetassess Practical booked 22nd Feb 2011.

Praying to live the dream :smile:

Guest wayniexagt

well since new bosses have taken over a very busy freight company in WA with lots of contracts to nearly nothing , half decent staff and everyone having there share of the pie to no virtually no hours . i need to look at another route .... im a a truck driver for said company but also a mechanic by trade ( i have my tools already here also ) city and guilds trained etc but left the trade about 15 odd years ago ........ the mrs is on a student visa so i get to work 20 hrs ..... now ive been talking to a few people that weve meet in our time here and they all telling me to change over to a 457 on the mecahnics side . which i understand would be a sensible move. what would be involved in pursuing this . i never done the tests back in the uk as i wasnt planning on going back on the spanners but it seems like the only door thats open for me at the mo ........... !! ......

many thanks guys ..... i know some one has the answer out there and probbaly been down the same road without a doubt .....

Hi Teamv, sorry for the late post. I could'nt believe my eyes when I read that they asked you to fly to South Africa for your Assessment!! There ahve been some very helpfull posts on here to put peoples mind at ease regarding the Assessment so hopefully everyone on it will be fine. Good luck to you for yours. Where are you hoping to go in Oz?

Vetassess Profile Assessment passed July 2010.Vetassess Practical booked 22nd Feb 2011.

Praying to live the dream :smile:

We have decided on south Australia ,we have two young boys and aren't looking for night life or a wild time ,it just seems to have all were looking for. Down the road, once we have are time in ,we can always move on and see more of Oz.

Sorry my phone went flat and switched itself off, all the PIO surfing today lol! Thank you again for your advice/knowledge. I have done my cv in the Oz format I found on the net, think the only real difference was putting profile followed by experience/acheivements first before listing history. I had done mine as I have been applying for jobs over the net for jobs over the last couple of weeks - thinking long shot but nothing to lose and everything to gain! I really didn't think dealerships would pay for sponsorship. Russ asked me to ask you what do the dealership want in return for sponsoring you? Are you tied in for a period of time, lower rate of pay etc?

We have also talked in the past about russ going out ahead of me, not ideal but needs must etc. I keep saying we need to get the house on the Market but we love it where we are and won't want to be in rented and find out we stand no chance. I hope you manage to sort your house out soon so you too can book your one way to a new life!

Many thanks again, lou & russ :smile:

Hi again, just seen your note on a Auz CV. Have you got a template as would be a good idea to get OH one in the right format. Thanks

Guest wayniexagt
well since new bosses have taken over a very busy freight company in WA with lots of contracts to nearly nothing , half decent staff and everyone having there share of the pie to no virtually no hours . i need to look at another route .... im a a truck driver for said company but also a mechanic by trade ( i have my tools already here also ) city and guilds trained etc but left the trade about 15 odd years ago ........ the mrs is on a student visa so i get to work 20 hrs ..... now ive been talking to a few people that weve meet in our time here and they all telling me to change over to a 457 on the mecahnics side . which i understand would be a sensible move. what would be involved in pursuing this . i never done the tests back in the uk as i wasnt planning on going back on the spanners but it seems like the only door thats open for me at the mo ........... !! ......

many thanks guys ..... i know some one has the answer out there and probbaly been down the same road without a doubt .....

can any one shed any light on my situation please ??

Guest perth42

i have no idea how to help you on this one... have you tried contacting an agent and see what they suggets? As you have been out of the trade for an extended period of time the agents may be able to give you an idea of what you can do.... Have a look on the thread below to see if its any use to you... good luck! :eek:

Job Vacancies - PomsInOz Forum

Guest perth42
Hi again, just seen your note on a Auz CV. Have you got a template as would be a good idea to get OH one in the right format. Thanks

Hi

I don't have a template I just followed the advice off the net for professional CV's... but it basically was:

Name, Address, contact details @ the top of the page

Experience

Achievements in current role

Employment history

Education

Activites & Interests

Additional Info

Reference contacts

Hope this helps - I have no idea if its right - I heard nothing on the jobs I applied for and I did notice the jobs site I have been using now states you have to have a PR visa before applying!!! grrrhhhh!

Just put Australian style cv sample into google and it will throw loads up like the one below...

Australian Style Curriculum Vitae - Resume Templates, Sample Resume & Cover letter

Good luck:cute:

Hi, just wanted to say its been lovely reading your sucess stories and hope next year it will be us! My OH is main agent and 20 years experiance/mot tester and we did want to move to brisbane but cant get ss. So now need to make a decision and go for ss wa 176 or wait till next year and apply for sponsorship temp visa and hope there are dealerships that may sponsor him in Qld! Anyway keep us posted on how your getting on!

lisa x x

Hi esme, good to hear from you.

We are moving to Perth so I don't know about brisbane but is motor mechanic not on their smp? Have you tried contacting the main dealers which your hubby has experience with about sponsorship? Just a thought if you have your heart set on Brisbane.

Notice you are from Cheshire, which is not far from me, I live in sunny Irlam just across the ship canal!

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Dawn x

Guest roaminnomore

Hi Dawn (Noodle - Ley!), yes I have changed my username; new start and all that. Glad to see this thread is still up and running thanks to you :biggrin:.

We arrived in Bris early hours of the 28th Jan, picked up by friends and having a very chilled week. I did not realise just how much we all needed it but, the hard work begins next Saturday when we fly to Melbourne and onto Geelong.

Hubby spoke to his new boss on the phone yesterday and all good there, huge sigh of relief to know that he is still wanted as you just never know.

I can honestly say Australia seems very welcoming until you drive!!! the roads are great but drivers are just bonkers... :laugh:.

Milk might be double the price but we have found that wine is very cheap and goes down a little too well!!!

Catch you soon. Ley x

Guest perth42

Noodle!!!!! You've arrived!! Glad your hubby is sorted with work and feels reassured. I had to laugh when you said about the roads wait till you get to Melbourne!! Wherever the trams go your going to have a whole new experience... I was glad we didn't hire a car when we were in melly!! When you turn right you had to get in the left hand lane!!! When the tram way crosses you have to make sure your in the right position otherwise the tram might hit you.... Bloody nightmare!!! Have an amazing time!!

Oh by the way we are still waiting for our assessing to change to approved... Dawn and Sharon have been we are still waiting :cry:

Enjoy!

Lou xx

Guest roaminnomore

Hey Lou, thanks for your response. Can't believe you are all still waiting to get approved, things have changed so much. Have they given anyone an indication as to how much time it will take?

Ley x

Archived