All Vehicle - Mechanics Thread

Guest Noodle

Just to give you a quick update. My hubby went to the EXPO on Saturday and unfortunately it was pretty much a wasted journey. There was only one employer there for motor mechanic and this was Rio Tinot for the mines. They are interested in both HGV mechanics and Light Vehicle mechanics for fly-in-fly-out. 9 days in the mines and then 6 days off. My hubby left his CV with them but it's not what we are looking for. We shall see if they come back to us anyway.

My hubby also had a phone conversation with techs on the move this morning. It was really useful and he now has a video call next Monday. He doesn't have anything in WA at the moment, so we will see if he manages to get any interest in the coming weeks.

He did say that they are looking for Master Tech's really which is frustrating because my hubby missed out a few years ago to do this because of covering long term sick for the service manager. He also got asked to start it at the beginning of this year but because of our plans and having to get a current employer reference letter for VETASSESS they will not put my hubby on any more training courses because they know he will be gone soon and don't want to waste money, which is understandable but annoying for us that VETASSESS insist on this knowing that you have to continue to work for the company. A little unfair I feel! Hey Ho!

I will keep you updated if we find out any more from either techs on the move or Rio Tinto.

:chatterbox:

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TheHollies

We have heard from Techs on the move aswell today for WA but was told he same. They are keeping Ians CV on file for any future openings.

We have heard from Techs on the move aswell today for WA but was told he same. They are keeping Ians CV on file for any future openings.

Hi TheHollies. Was the techs on the move by email or telephone conversation? Is your hubby main dealer? I'm thinking that the conversations my hubby is having with them will come to nothing if they have said that to your hubby! :o(

Guest TheHollies

We emailed Techs and they asked for Ians CV. After looking at it, they emailed back to say that there were no openings in WA at the mo. We had already looked on their website and saw there were no jobs for WA. Have you tried emailing some dealerships direct? Thats what we have been doing and have 2 who want to talk to Ian as soon as we arrive. He has 18 years main dealership experience and has also worked for the AA.

Thanks, yes we have emailed Audi (hubby currently works for) and they have replied saying they don't sponsor. Gutted! We have also sent off cv's to others but they all seen very reluctant to sponsor. They are mostly saying they have been stung before with others and dont want to take the risk again. With the problems with visas at the mo it looks like we are just going to have to ride out the two years for 176. We are now thinking of Sydney or Melbourne as another option because dealers over there seem to be more willing to sponsor and continue with our 176 for Perth! If we knew wa was re opening soon it might help but even if they do with the backlog of people waiting I dread to think how long it will take to get the ss before even applying for the 176! Soooooo frustrating! Thanks again for the info.

Guest lutonmatt

clad he went to the expo i was going to go but i was in france for the week so could not make it

i think techs on teh move only want to know if your main dealer trained witch i am not but been at my place for 11 years plus 5.5 years as a mot tester

i can see why they only want to deal with main dealers as they have more money

i am going to wait to see what the goverment are going to do with the visa's ect

that should be early next year really then i will make my mind up

am thinking of going out there for a year or 2 if i can get it and then doing it all from there might be quicker

Could anyone give a little advice please - we have seriously decided to look into 457 Temp visa with a view to perm.

1) How does a 457 work in conjunction with applying for 176 (lodged)

2) what are the stipulations of a 457

3)Does anyone have the details of Rio Tinot (mines, London Expo)

4) any other advice welcome

Many thanks Ley x

Hi Ley, I don't know all the in's and out's with a 457 but I am led to believe that you can continue with your 176 visa at the same time as holding a 457 visa.

For the 457 you need to have an authorised sponsor and this visa lasts for 4 years. Like I say I'm no expert but if you seach on 457 on this forum or on the DIAC website you will be able to get more details.

The Rio Tinto website is as follows:

Vacancies - Rio Tinto

Click on the professional vacancies and then enter mechanic in the keywords, there are quite a few jobs on there at the moment, you will probably just have to scroll through them and hopefully find something that interests you.

They told my hubby that they would sponsor the right people and then it would be a Fly-in-fly-out working 9 days in the mines and then 6 days at home.

I do know someone in Perth that does this and it does suit them, but it can be lonely for his missus. I think she is starting to meet people now so that makes it easier.

Hope this helps

Dawn

hi all, great thead btw, im 36yr old mechanic hoping to move to WA on a state visa, ive passed my paper based vetassess and am currently waiting for a date for my practical, which to be honest im a little worried about, mainly because for the last 10 years ive been working on buses and coaches, so i dont really fall into light or heavy vechicle mechanics. i decided to apply under heavy mechanic as buses have more simulaites to trucks than cars. But as my practical gets closer im kind worried i should have got for light mechanics.

anyhow what im really asking has anyone done the parctical as a heavy mechanic if so whats involed, what do they get you to do, what questions do they ask? etc etc. and also does anyone have any ideas what the job market is like for bus mechanics in WA (mainly around perth area of WA), ive seen lots of jobs for car and truck mechanics advertised, and im sure i could turn my hand" to either, but idealy id like to carry my experience on with buses.

Guest groundforcetraining

Hi everyone,

We are at groundforcetraining providing general safety training that covers employee’s safety trainings as rigging training, load securement training, fall protection training, confined space entry, dangerous goods packaging & transportation training.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, it seems that my hubby has been offered a job if we can get the sponsorship sorted out asap.

They are now looking into the costs and the process. Which is great news.

does anyone know how much the employer has to pay out for the nomination, the visa etc? Do they also pay for the X-rays and medicals?

Is there an average cost that we can put on these things in total?

Dawn

Hi redrobbersdog, don't really know anything re. 457 and costs. Try putting a separate thread asking 457 costs to whom, someone posted once that if the employer pays for relocation and your leave before your time is up you are required to re-pay them. Sorry I can't be of any help, good luck and all the best. Ley x

Hi all, I'm interested to know how all the motor mechanics are getting on out there. We are still trying to get an employer sponsor which is up and down, with highs and lows and mixed emotions daily dependant on emails we do or don't get returned. Has anyone had any luck with sponsors? Would be great to hear of war stories, to hopefully know that it's not just us that are going through this roller coaster! :o(

Hi all, I'm interested to know how all the motor mechanics are getting on out there. We are still trying to get an employer sponsor which is up and down, with highs and lows and mixed emotions daily dependant on emails we do or don't get returned. Has anyone had any luck with sponsors? Would be great to hear of war stories, to hopefully know that it's not just us that are going through this roller coaster! :o(

Hi Redrobbersdog.We Have sent off our 176 SS Visa Application 20th August 2010 to the DIAC and have been in contact with them 28th September 2010 and I was told we could wait up to 12 months for a Case Officer to look at our application, as they are still processing applications from 2008 !!!!!

I will keep you posted.

Steve.

weve had enough, fed up of sending cvs/emails begging for sponsoring, no one wants to know. we are waiting for our 175 hairdressing visa (-stop laughing!) i know the day will never come.so we thought lets try and get hubby to be sponsored as hes a mechanic but no luck, just soo had enough now.

i need a new car, would like a good holiday abroad,kids want a dog, the list goes on how we put our lives on hold.no more! i get my car first though.

Hang in there guys, it seems that although the DIAC is urging people to get employer sponsors this doesn't actually seem to be filtering through to the sponsors.

We have had conversations with dealers and although they are desperate for good mechanics they won't sponsor because of being bitten before and let down which doesn't help those people who are trying to get sponsorship now!

Don't give up hopefully things will start moving again soon and surely things can only get better. Fingers crossed there are some people out there which have some good success stories to tell to give us a little bit of hope! :swoon:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Not a mechanic but I work in the business end of the motor trade. Ive had management roles in Parts, Service and bodyshop.

Wondering are there many jobs in the Melbourne area in this line and what would be the best avenues to take regarding applying?

I know seek.com.au are there but is the any sort of motorjobs.com site in the area or can you register with any of the manufacturers or distributors?

Guest perth42

Hi all

can someone tell me if a mechanic get a job in Oz. Do the dealerships/garages require a copy of the vetassess certificate or do mechanics have to get a licence like the sparkies have to? If so, what does that entale?

Many thanks

Guest TheHollies
Hi all

can someone tell me if a mechanic get a job in Oz. Do the dealerships/garages require a copy of the vetassess certificate or do mechanics have to get a licence like the sparkies have to? If so, what does that entale?

Many thanks

Hi, we arrived in Oct, hubby a mechanic. The vetassess stands for nothing here (£1000 down the drain in my opinion :mad:) You will need a licence which you get 3 months to sort, just fill in some forms providing details of your qualifications etc, its $70 and you need another police check :arghh: which has to have been issued within the last 3 months. Makes you wonder why you have to go through all the stress of the paperwork and practical of the vetassess???

Archived