Going home after 3 years

Guest christi

W

Apparantly they did used to have passenger trains here, but it took 3 days to get to Hobart from Launceston!!! and an elderly lady we were talking to said you could auctually get off the train and pick flowers,,,it was that slow!!!. Sounds unreal.

Sorry your experience here has not been a good one, Christi. (I'm a Hobart girl myself :wink:)

But I just had to say that I know things are slow here but not that unreal! It was a bit over 3 hours Hobart to Launceston by train. You'd leave Hobart at 9.20 am, be at the Launceston junction at 12.45 and reach Wynyard at 6 pm. There were sections where the train was very slow because of the hills and curves, but along the northwest the train followed the coastline and was a particularly beautiful journey. A poignant memory for those of us who remember Tasmania as it used to be...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest christi

poor you, sounds like the stress has really got to you, I have been so down in the dumps and am taking anti-depressants, so I do know what you are saying and how you are feeling. You will get home though,,,,and you will feel so much better once you arrive home, and you can put all of this behind you.

What do you mean, when you say you have to wait 6 months for the dogs?

Guest christi
I couldnt agree more HL. For people to say the people are unfriendly to inter staters and foreigners amazes me....

Airs & Graces and attitude are quickly seen through by the Tasmanians and obviously it gets their backs up. It is one of the friendliest states I have come across! Basically it is one huge village, with its population wanting to do a good turn rather than a bad one...... Susie x

I dont think, airs and graces and attitude has anything to do with it,,,,,no-one is saying its just Tassie that has a bullying problem, it is rife accross Australia, if you read all of the posts.

It happens in all countries, but Aus has legislation which is very weak, and no-one wants to face the problem.

I am probaly one of the most down to earth , easy going people, you could wish to meet, and I certainly dont have "airs &graces" , if that is what you are incinuating, in your thread,as to why I havent found Tas, right for me.

It is like everything, some places are great for some and not for others, you either love somewhere or hate it

It is obviously good for you, and thats just great, but I think for you to feel that anyone who doesant like it here, ,,,,,,it must be thier fault because they have attitude or airs and graces, is very wrong.

Are you saying, that you have to be a certain type ,,,to fit in , in Tas?

I know a lot of very nice people, who have left here, in the last couple of years, because of how they have been treated, and made to feel very unwelcome and beleive me, they did not have attitude, or airs and graces,,,,they were just decent people trying to make good lives for themselves

Some have been Aussies and some other nationalities

Its great that you fit in, but this is not a perfect place,,,,,,,as no-where is,,,,and each and every person, has thier thoughts on where they live and thier reasons for staying or leaving

Guest siamsusie
I dont think, airs and graces and attitude has anything to do with it,,,,,no-one is saying its just Tassie that has a bullying problem, it is rife accross Australia, if you read all of the posts.

It happens in all countries, but Aus has legislation which is very weak, and no-one wants to face the problem.

I am probaly one of the most down to earth , easy going people, you could wish to meet, and I certainly dont have "airs &graces" , if that is what you are incinuating, in your thread,as to why I havent found Tas, right for me.

It is like everything, some places are great for some and not for others, you either love somewhere or hate it

It is obviously good for you, and thats just great, but I think for you to feel that anyone who doesant like it here, ,,,,,,it must be thier fault because they have attitude or airs and graces, is very wrong.

Are you saying, that you have to be a certain type ,,,to fit in , in Tas?

I know a lot of very nice people, who have left here, in the last couple of years, because of how they have been treated, and made to feel very unwelcome and beleive me, they did not have attitude, or airs and graces,,,,they were just decent people trying to make good lives for themselves

Some have been Aussies and some other nationalities

Its great that you fit in, but this is not a perfect place,,,,,,,as no-where is,,,,and each and every person, has thier thoughts on where they live and thier reasons for staying or leaving

:goofy: my reply was in fact not aimed at you per se! I think you have got your message over that Tasmania isnt for you, which is more than fair enough.

No one is accusing YOU personally of having airs and graces, if you feel my post is being unfair please do use the "report button". Have a good evening! Susie

Guest siamsusie
Sorry your experience here has not been a good one, Christi. (I'm a Hobart girl myself :wink:)

But I just had to say that I know things are slow here but not that unreal! It was a bit over 3 hours Hobart to Launceston by train. You'd leave Hobart at 9.20 am, be at the Launceston junction at 12.45 and reach Wynyard at 6 pm. There were sections where the train was very slow because of the hills and curves, but along the northwest the train followed the coastline and was a particularly beautiful journey. A poignant memory for those of us who remember Tasmania as it used to be...

My husband took this train as well from Hobart to Launceston on many occasions and recollects what a beautiful journey it was Skani as well. He also took the Roseberry train to Bernie for school, this post brought back some memories today for him also.:wubclub: Susie x

Christi, i've been watching this thread and its like i'm psychic or something, i just now what will happen next.

You dared give an unfavourable opinion on a place based on your experiences, fair enough one would think but NO like a moray eels they come out from the rocks and insinuate that anyone that fails to get along with all aussies must be some way at fault, to many "airs & graces", to snobby, to chavey ect ect. Then they will try to ridicule your punctuation or spelling.

The over defensive attitude is like a sickness and there should be a vaccine available to anyone going to australia because it is highly contagious.

Guest christi
Christi, i've been watching this thread and its like i'm psychic or something, i just now what will happen next.

You dared give an unfavourable opinion on a place based on your experiences, fair enough one would think but NO like a moray eels they come out from the rocks and insinuate that anyone that fails to get along with all aussies must be some way at fault, to many "airs & graces", to snobby, to chavey ect ect. Then they will try to ridicule your punctuation or spelling.

The over defensive attitude is like a sickness and there should be a vaccine available to anyone going to australia because it is highly contagious.

Aldo, thanks, I find it quite laughable really. Anyone who dares not to like somewhere must have something wrong with them, as you say

Its a sad state of affairs, when people want to ridicule , because others dont have thier vision of the perfect world that they feel they live in

:laugh:

Guest guest36187

Good on ya Christi for giving it a go. Hopefully you wil go with some good memories. Good luck with your ongoing journey. Hope that you find everything that you wish for x

Aldo, thanks, I find it quite laughable really. Anyone who dares not to like somewhere must have something wrong with them, as you say

Its a sad state of affairs, when people want to ridicule , because others dont have thier vision of the perfect world that they feel they live in

:laugh:

In fairness, I think those people are few and far between on here, I find most of the membership accepting that moving to Aus doesn't prove to be what some people hoped for.

Good luck on your move back to the UK

Yes i aggree but the ones that hang out on the MBTTUK forum and get shocked when they read that someone might not like living in Australia.

Reminds me of them weirdos that chase ambulances.

Yes i aggree but the ones that hang out on the MBTTUK forum and get shocked when they read that someone might not like living in Australia.

Reminds me of them weirdos that chase ambulances.

Lawyers?

In all seriousness .. it annoys the hell out of me too that people can't respect another persons decisions and give them a bit of support ... there for the grace of god (and all that) .. could happen to everyone of us ... I'd like to think that we wouldn't have been treated unkindly if we'd decided to go back to the UK.

Without taking the thread off topic, the terms 'moray eel' and laughable could equally apply to those folk who spend their time collecting every negative news story they can find about Australia to bait would be emigrants with on PiO. Not mentioning names.

(I metioned the comma thing cos I though I was being funny, not because I was point scoring btw).

I am sorry that Tasmania has not worked out for you and it is good that you have made the decision to return home to the UK as it definitely sounds like the right thing to do. I can understand what you mean about illness, stress and other associated problems that have come about from living where you are now, I have exactly the same problems and by the end of the year I will gladly wave goodbye to England after 12 years and return to Australia.

Follow your heart and enjoy your journey back to the UK and don't look back at your time in Australia as a bad thing, look at it as an adventure which allowed you to experience something different in life - I know that is how I look at my time in England.

Aldo, if there was any over-defending going on then I must have missed it. Blame the late hour if you will. Offering a different opinion based upon direct experience does not constitute a placing of blame or belittling of the OP. It's okay to point out inaccuracies and counter sweeping generalisations is it not?

I won't speak for anyone but me but my interest in this part of the forum is simply one of genuine curiousity. Shortly after I met my husband I got to know a woman who was about to move to Australia with her husband. He was keen to go but she wanted to stay put. According to her they hadn't really done much research and it was simply something he was keen to try. I do wonder how they got on and I wonder why people would want to return after going through all that it takes to get here. I think it takes double-guts to return after making the move just as it takes double-guts to stay.

`get out of Taz nd move to Oz .......Taz IS TOO MUCH LIKE THE UK WEATER WISE, yes a nice place ..........dont give up , Oz HAS LOADS TO OFFER , you have done the hard part , c`mon pull your self together.......and fight it ....x

`get out of Taz nd move to Oz .......Taz IS TOO MUCH LIKE THE UK WEATER WISE, yes a nice place ..........dont give up , Oz HAS LOADS TO OFFER , you have done the hard part , c`mon pull your self together.......and fight it ....x

Interesting to see that old chestnut for beating depression - pull yourself together!!! say nothing.

Don't beat yourself up Christi....I am an Aussie and I probably wouldn't move to Tassie........:laugh:

It is too quiet and I have found the smaller a place often the smaller the minds.....not intelligence....just not embracing of others.

I am sure a Melbourne or a Sydney would have much more to offer, but the thing about life in Australia is that it's an urban lifestyle.....and you can get that in the UK too. It's also so hard to experience anything other than very similar urban, or very similar rural when you travel in Oz....the cities are very similar and the bush is very similar wherever you go.

The diversity of things to do in the UK and the proximity to Europe means there are many things that the UK has over Aust. They both have their good points and I love Australia......but that old saying "home is where the heart is" is very true.

I know that I'll always head home to Australia, even if from time to time I am experiencing life somewhere else. If you have that feeling to return home, there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Best of luck with it.

oh, sorry you've had workplace bullies, we're not all like that :)

Guest christi
Good on ya Christi for giving it a go. Hopefully you wil go with some good memories. Good luck with your ongoing journey. Hope that you find everything that you wish for x

Thanks Joanne, we do have some great memories, and we will just treat this as a chapter in our lives,something we had to do

Thank you for your good wishes:biggrin:

Guest christi
Don't beat yourself up Christi....I am an Aussie and I probably wouldn't move to Tassie........:laugh:

It is too quiet and I have found the smaller a place often the smaller the minds.....not intelligence....just not embracing of others.

I am sure a Melbourne or a Sydney would have much more to offer, but the thing about life in Australia is that it's an urban lifestyle.....and you can get that in the UK too. It's also so hard to experience anything other than very similar urban, or very similar rural when you travel in Oz....the cities are very similar and the bush is very similar wherever you go.

The diversity of things to do in the UK and the proximity to Europe means there are many things that the UK has over Aust. They both have their good points and I love Australia......but that old saying "home is where the heart is" is very true.

I know that I'll always head home to Australia, even if from time to time I am experiencing life somewhere else. If you have that feeling to return home, there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Best of luck with it.

oh, sorry you've had workplace bullies, we're not all like that :)

I totaly agree with what you say, we love Sydney, probably couldent afford to live there, but we have spent some lovely times there, Sydney probably has the best memories for us, sitting by the harbour, on warm evenings, just watching the world go by.

I will miss that:biggrin:

Guest red35
poor you, sounds like the stress has really got to you, I have been so down in the dumps and am taking anti-depressants, so I do know what you are saying and how you are feeling. You will get home though,,,,and you will feel so much better once you arrive home, and you can put all of this behind you.

What do you mean, when you say you have to wait 6 months for the dogs?

Hi Christi

Yes I have been ill for the last 5 years and tried to keep a happy front on for the rest of the family but eventually,your body just shuts down. That in itself was a wake up call for me especially when the doctor wanted to put me into hospital to rest. I was taking Valium and Anti Depressants to get me through the day and that is no way to live. I feel I am not living in Australia just existing.

We have to wait 6 months because of the Rabies injection that the dogs have to have. We don't want to put them into Quarantine so have to wait till they are given the all clear.

Guest footballmad

Hi Christi

Your post sounds so similar to me and my family... we have been here 2 years in August and I too fell ill last year.. pulled through thank fully but still reg check ups..very scary and makes you realise that you only have one life... Hubby and I are considering going back to UK. I have set up my own business (just taking off now!) and hubby in work that he hates... kids (15 and 13) youngest very unhappy... we are so confused about what to do... I too do not want to live out my final days here. We live on the Sunshine Coast but very quiet and work for hubby not around... I am an RN but hold alot of teaching quals, everything here is so expensive and there is no night life... there is only so much ocean I can take..dont get me wrong beautiful place but we left a beautiful place (Devon) and we wonder why we ever moved..I suppose you have to move away before you realise what you had and took for granted. We too cannot move straight away as we bought a plot of land.. the build was suppose to start this week but we have pulled out our hearts are not in it... so we have to sell the land first. and I wont go back until we both have jobs.... so know where you are coming from

Hi Christi

Your post sounds so similar to me and my family... we have been here 2 years in August and I too fell ill last year.. pulled through thank fully but still reg check ups..very scary and makes you realise that you only have one life... Hubby and I are considering going back to UK. I have set up my own business (just taking off now!) and hubby in work that he hates... kids (15 and 13) youngest very unhappy... we are so confused about what to do... I too do not want to live out my final days here. We live on the Sunshine Coast but very quiet and work for hubby not around... I am an RN but hold alot of teaching quals, everything here is so expensive and there is no night life... there is only so much ocean I can take..dont get me wrong beautiful place but we left a beautiful place (Devon) and we wonder why we ever moved..I suppose you have to move away before you realise what you had and took for granted. We too cannot move straight away as we bought a plot of land.. the build was suppose to start this week but we have pulled out our hearts are not in it... so we have to sell the land first. and I wont go back until we both have jobs.... so know where you are coming from

Hi there we have just moved back after three years on the Sunshine Coast and it is strange as it is the most beautiful place ever but I just couldn't fully appreciate it while I was there is seemed unreal to me. Still now I do think a lot about the beach etc which I rarely got a chance to go to and realise that if England had good weather and beaches it would just be perfect. The quietness was an issue for us and our older children who after one or two nights in Mooloolaba were bored. We too found the highlight was going to the surf club on a Friday (although you gotta love Mooloolaba surf club really). We are back in berkshire which is also beautiful expereinceing a little reverse culture shcok but re-engaging wiht real life is also very stimulating. PM me if you want to talk about Sunny Coast life ( my eldest is still there finishing honours at uni miss him more than I can say).

:hug:

Guest chris955

Even after all my years here I now tend to think of Australia as one of those places you go on holiday, you have a great time but in the end you are looking forward to going home. I love where we are here but as many others have said it lacks the buzz that we love about the UK.

Archived