Help with red spot car hire and unpaid toll fines

basil

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced similar or can shed any light on this for me. I'm pretty peeved right now.

I rented a red spot car from brisbane airport on my reccie for 7 days.

On collection I was told all cars were fitted with an automatic e tag for deduction tolls, I could pay a daily toll fee for a 7 days of hire (I think it was about $60).

OR

I could not pay the fee, the e tag would still beep and deduct and I would incurr a charge of $15 for each toll use from redspot.

As I knew I'd only be using the gateway highway twice, to and from the airport, I opted for the $15 option as at $30 it was cheaper.

Today I've received 2 letters from redspot, one for each toll use. They received toll warning letters from the government and are deducting a total of $44 from my credit card for administration of sending me the letter and have passed my details onto the authorities.

So presumably in a few days time I'll get some toll fines from QLD government too.

I'm really not happy, I've sent them an email to try and clarify. I can only assume their e-tag wasn't working or else I was told a load of rubbish by their airport collection desk rep.

Help? :frown:

The toll booths are cashless now John, There is no stopping and you have 3 days to pay your toll if you dont have an e-tag fitted. The car hire companys i use set you up an e-toll account for the duration of your car hire, if this isnt possible with the company you use,you can pay at certain petrol stations, although these are dotted around depending on where you are you may have to travel to find one who does e-toll.

If you dont pay within the 3 days the price shoots up ,and the longer its left the price rises again.

Hope this helps

Cal x

but the hire car had e-tag fitted so i assumed it was automatic deducted from ther hire cars account and my charge would be to them.

I can only assume the e-tag was faulty???

Or was it all explained to me wrong?

This is from redspot.....

TOLL ROADS

Are there many toll roads in Australia?

Yes. There are toll roads in many cities. They're all clearly signed and are operated by a number of organisations including State Government and private companies.

Some toll roads have people working on booths, some are automatic.

Note that more and more toll roads are moving to electronic tolling, and becoming unmanned and cashless. All Redspot vehicles are fitted with electronic toll charging devices and any use will be charged to the hirer.

Do I have to pay tolls myself?

All our locations that have nearby toll roads have all its vehicles fitted with an electronic toll road passes. This pass can be activated for a competitive daily fee that will give you unlimited access to all electronic toll roads across Australia.

What if I have my own tag?

Redspot vehicles are fitted with electronic toll passes. Should our electronic toll pass beep you will be charged.

What if I don't hire a toll pass?

If you drive through a toll road without hiring a toll pass from Redspot, a processing fee of $15.00 per toll plus the cost of the toll road will be charged to your nominated account.

....so as I didn't hire a toll pass at a daily fee but the car did have e-tag I was told I'd pay $15 + $2.95 per toll to redspot.....not $22 + a fine from the authorities :(

Hi

If your car had a tag in , you would have heard it beep every time you passed through a toll, not sure what they saying above as the tag HAS to beep to show your vehicle has registered and of course when it bleeps the toll charge is automatically deducted from the account linked to it. It is also stuck to the windscreen ,normally right behind the rear view mirror.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Think its all a bit of a scam really

We went with Red Spot in March this year (after booking via Holiday Autos in the UK), in both Sydney & Brisbane

Neither location had an eTag pre fitted (so maybe thats a more recent thing), but Sydney Office did try to pursuade us to pay about $80 up front for "toll care-free driving"

We didnt take it out but instead got the eTag phone number from them. You ring this within a fixed time period of having gone through the toll. The eTag people set up an account take a credit card payment over the phone and you can monitor it over t'internet if needed. All in we paid about $15 instead of set Red Spot fee of $80

As an aside we thought Red Spot were awful, all ways around, and wouldnt touch them again

You ring this within a fixed time period of having gone through the toll. The eTag people set up an account take a credit card payment over the phone and you can monitor it over t'internet if needed

I was told I couldn't call because it had e-tag fitted which would deduct anywa and even if i paid the toll redspot would still deduct me $15 for each beep.

No I wouldn't go with them again either, it's hardly 'no hidden extras' like their tagline states is it?!

The car definitely had an e-tag fitted (I could see it), I can't remember if it beeped but i was told even though i hadn't paid the rip off daily tolls in fee it would beep.

Why would i have opted for 7 days all in tolls to use it twice, i imagine that's the same for the majority of tourists at brissy airport!!

I was pretty miffed at paying a whopping $15 per toll use to start with for what is a $2.95 toll, but now i'm really annoyed.

They haven't responded to my email so i guess i'll have to just suck it up and be sure never to recommend them to anyone.

I wouldnt be sucking it up. Can you not call them? I know it would cost you to call them but if its not right, its not right and i would fight my corner.

Failing that i would e-mail the trading standards and see what they make of it.

Hope you sort something

Cal x

would you? will look for aussie trading standards.

They say they've already filled out a stat dec to give my details to the authorities, I doubt they're going to retract that :(

Maybe I'll buy a calling card and ring them tonight...or is it tomorrow, need to check!

OH has already ripped up the agreement i signed as we'd checked our credit card bills and it all looked ok. The letter has come 2 months after hiring the car!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Redspotcar

Hi Basil,

Can you please contact our feedback department feedback@redspotrentals.com.au ASAP and provide us with a bit more information for us to find your rental agreement and sort out the problem for you.

I appologise for any inconvenience.

Kind regards

Brad Aldcroft

Web Master - Redspot Car Rentals

Archived