Warnings about Australia.

tracy123

This thread is not an attack on Australia, more simply warnings so you are better aware of things you may face, some of them are things you should already know while I’m sure others will be little gems that will help you out no end. Anyone who has made the move to Australia, what pitfalls have you faced that you may not of thought of or Gee I wish someone would of told me that or I should of know that!

For all of those people renting for the 1st time in a long time make sure you send complaints and issues in writing also make sure all of their promises are written and signed..... May sound an, I already know that tip, but look back and see all of the complaints people have about real estate agents!

Open to you

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread is not an attack on Australia, more simply warnings so you are better aware of things you may face, some of them are things you should already know while I’m sure others will be little gems that will help you out no end. Anyone who has made the move to Australia, what pitfalls have you faced that you may not of thought of or Gee I wish someone would of told me that or I should of know that!

For all of those people renting for the 1st time in a long time make sure you send complaints and issues in writing also make sure all of their promises are written and signed..... May sound an, I already know that tip, but look back and see all of the complaints people have about real estate agents!

Open to you

Nice font mate!

What you running with there?:wideeyed:

I think my main warning would be that "things aint cheap..."

Even after doing quite a lot of research before coming out I still thought that food - especially fruit and veg - would be much cheaper, well I'm afraid it isn't. Yes some things do cost a lot less than in the UK but somethings are more expensive. So from my rather limited experience I would say budget for spending the same on food shopping here as you did in there

If you're going for a better work/life balance you may be in for a shock.

It rains (a lot)

UK BBQs are actually better than aussie one . some mmight say "different" I say crap, its my opinion.

Guest chris955

We have crime and graffiti here, in some places lots of it.

Sweeping statement, this country ISN'T safer than the UK.

If you're going for a better work/life balance you may be in for a shock.

It rains (a lot)

UK BBQs are actually better than aussie one . some mmight say "different" I say crap, its my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion as always Aldo, but there are hundreds of BBQ's here to buy, and having had BBQ's in UK as well, it all depends on what you buy and where you go to buy it. To say they are 'better' in UK is bit rich. Only my opinion

You are entitled to your opinion as always Aldo, but there are hundreds of BBQ's here to buy, and having had BBQ's in UK as well, it all depends on what you buy and where you go to buy it. To say they are 'better' in UK is bit rich. Only my opinion

I think he means the social event itself not the bbq used. Because it rains so much here, the people are crap, booze is expensive and the sausages are awful....have I got that right Aldo? :biglaugh:

Guest sh7t man no way

the real estate business is cut throat in rentals,if you dont meet there critera such as having a job,and work reference(in qld they work on the 100 points system,where you have to fullfill all what they require)if you do not meet the 100pts (wofk reference is 40 pts i think)you will not get a place to rent unless you pay 6 months up front,an average rent being $400 a week for a family home so this would mean paying them over $10,000 to have a home for 6 months--so if you come over without a job this may happen to you.---its is almost immposible to get a 3 month lease,and the other option of a holiday appartment costs heaps of money--i think this is an excellent thread mate,and i will pop in,and out of it to give advice where i can--and would those members who just want to have a private fued without puting any thing of real value into the thread go,and play elsewhere--and who knows we may help some people along the way.:wubclub:

Guest guest30038

Everything is more expensive. You're no safer here that you are in the UK. The sun will kill you and your family. If it doesn't get you..........snakes and spiders will..........go into the water and sharks, crocs, jellyfish and sting rays will. The birds sound awful. You can't buy Bisto. All the sausages are crap. You need a 2nd mortgage to buy a 2nd hand car. Aussies are rude and arrogant. There's no Culcha. There's nothing to see but the beach..........no nice scenery or greenery...........absolutely nothing! The education and health system is backwards and your kids wont get edumacated. The houses fall down frequently 'cause they're built like crap. You can't dry your washing 'cause it's so humid. Aussie drivers are the worst in the world...............they even overtake on the inside! Chickens are smaller. Turkeys are smaller. Eggs are smaller. Fruit and veg is expensive and not as good as the UK. cadbury's chocolate tastes awful. Did I tell you they live off pies here and they're crap? They don't have Tescos or Asda :shocked: It rains all the time............but............strangely enough.............it's too sunny to go out most of the time :goofy: Australians are small minded and overly patriotic. School mums won't speak to you if you're a Pom. Aussies worship the dollar and will rip you off if you're a Pom. You won't get a job 'cause they save 'em for aussies, even if you're better qualified and the Aussie applicant is crap. Kev hates Australia. kev Hates Australians. As soon as the ash settles.............kev's going back to the UK where things are so much better :goofy:

Guest proud2beaussie

I see you forgot to take your "No sarcasm" pill this morning Kev.:biggrin::wink:

Naughty boy.

Guest siamsusie

Everything is more expensive. You're no safer here that you are in the UK. The sun will kill you and your family. If it doesn't get you..........snakes and spiders will..........go into the water and sharks, crocs, jellyfish and sting rays will. The birds sound awful. You can't buy Bisto. All the sausages are crap. You need a 2nd mortgage to buy a 2nd hand car. Aussies are rude and arrogant. There's no Culcha. There's nothing to see but the beach..........no nice scenery or greenery...........absolutely nothing! The education and health system is backwards and your kids wont get edumacated. The houses fall down frequently 'cause they're built like crap. You can't dry your washing 'cause it's so humid. Aussie drivers are the worst in the world...............they even overtake on the inside! Chickens are smaller. Turkeys are smaller. Eggs are smaller. Fruit and veg is expensive and not as good as the UK. cadbury's chocolate tastes awful. Did I tell you they live off pies here and they're crap? They don't have Tescos or Asda It rains all the time............but............strangely enough.............it's too sunny to go out most of the time :goofy: Australians are small minded and overly patriotic. School mums won't speak to you if you're a Pom. Aussies worship the dollar and will rip you off if you're a Pom. You won't get a job 'cause they save 'em for aussies, even if you're better qualified and the Aussie applicant is crap. Kev hates Australia. kev Hates Australians. As soon as the ash settles.............kev's going back to the UK where things are so much better :goofy:
They wear their night attire to the supermarkets, bare footed bogans, did you mention lack of humour, nasal irritating accents, :mad:what time is your flight Kev? (lol)

Guest proud2beaussie

Did you mention the sausages Kev,don't forget the sausages.

Oh and remember the BBQ's are awful and they don't know how to cook sausages.

Did I mention the sausages?.:biggrin::wink:

Save me a seat on the plane.

Guest sh7t man no way

any way back to the thread---if your buyng anything in aus like a car/tv/furniture ect its allways best to haggle for the best deal,i know this is not the english way,but it will save you quite a lot of money,which you may need for a rainy day---some furniture stores do job lots on the whole lounge area,and if you buy the whole lot from them,you get quite a good discount--------im sorry this post did not make you giggle-------but i thought some helpfull advice may come in more usefull to those who dont know much about life in australia.

Guest guest30038
Sorry, I don't see the point of that post.

If you're referring to mine? Do I need to make a point? Can't I simply post what I want, as long as it's not abusive? Just thought of another one :idea:

Australia and Australians are so mundane that they say and write things that don't make a point. :biggrin:

Guest guest30038
I see you forgot to take your "No sarcasm" pill this morning Kev.:biggrin::wink:

Naughty boy.

How do you know that I'm being sarcastic Nige? I could be deadly serious................I mean..............after all..................some folk who wrote similar in other threads were :biggrin:

Guest guest30038
They wear their night attire to the supermarkets, bare footed bogans, did you mention lack of humour, nasal irritating accents, :mad:what time is your flight Kev? (lol)

Yeah :rolleyes: The poster who wrote about the accent.............i forgot that one. I wonder what the Aussies made of hers? Unlike her courteous observation, I'm guessing that they werer irritatingly rude and arrogant in their response.............and to top it all off, that rudeness would be delivered with a nasal irritating accent! Terrible stuff for the poor lass to suffer such :rolleyes:

Guest guest30038
Did you mention the sausages Kev,don't forget the sausages.

Oh and remember the BBQ's are awful and they don't know how to cook sausages.

Did I mention the sausages?.:biggrin::wink:

Save me a seat on the plane.

Yeah, I mentioned the snags Nige................couldn't help but not, considering that it's a lifestyle threatening castastrophy driving me to abandon all hope for this place................I'm actually beside myself atm, hoping for the ash to clear...................I can't bear another moment of being without Marks & Sparks underwear...........oh woe is me! :cry:

Archived