Warnings about Australia.

tracy123

Guest guest30038
Hi Sue my husband always takes digital photos of any defects no matter how small

My missus is the same..........everytime I get in the shower she whips out the camera :biglaugh:

kev

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest proud2beaussie
My missus is the same..........everytime I get in the shower she whips out the camera :biglaugh:

kev

Is that the one with the 2000% zoom factor Kev?.

Guest ahole
Everything is more expensive. You're no safer here that you are in the UK. The sun will kill you and your family. If it doesn't get you..........snakes and spiders will..........go into the water and sharks, crocs, jellyfish and sting rays will. The birds sound awful. You can't buy Bisto. All the sausages are crap. You need a 2nd mortgage to buy a 2nd hand car. Aussies are rude and arrogant. There's no Culcha. There's nothing to see but the beach..........no nice scenery or greenery...........absolutely nothing! The education and health system is backwards and your kids wont get edumacated. The houses fall down frequently 'cause they're built like crap. You can't dry your washing 'cause it's so humid. Aussie drivers are the worst in the world...............they even overtake on the inside! Chickens are smaller. Turkeys are smaller. Eggs are smaller. Fruit and veg is expensive and not as good as the UK. cadbury's chocolate tastes awful. Did I tell you they live off pies here and they're crap? They don't have Tescos or Asda :shocked: It rains all the time............but............strangely enough.............it's too sunny to go out most of the time :goofy: Australians are small minded and overly patriotic. School mums won't speak to you if you're a Pom. Aussies worship the dollar and will rip you off if you're a Pom. You won't get a job 'cause they save 'em for aussies, even if you're better qualified and the Aussie applicant is crap. Kev hates Australia. kev Hates Australians. As soon as the ash settles.............kev's going back to the UK where things are so much better :goofy:

I don't know why you're all still here then......

Guest siamsusie

We have had a whip around for him, he refuses to budge:mad: ...... it was said tongue in cheek!:laugh:he loves the place lol susie

We have crime and graffiti here, in some places lots of it.

Sweeping statement, this country ISN'T safer than the UK.

ISN'T safer that the UK ? Well after leaving my estate in london with 3 deaths to guns, and a huge jump in gun and knife crime (just seeing the big yellow signs put up by the OB was enough to see how bad it was getting), I can honestly say that Aus gets no where near the current crime situation in London, not even in Melbourne or Sydney.

Just my opinion though...........

Guest Guest31881

I think you missed the whole point of Kev’s posting, he loves Australia. It was sarcasm!

Guest siamsusie
ISN'T safer that the UK ? Well after leaving my estate in london with 3 deaths to guns, and a huge jump in gun and knife crime (just seeing the big yellow signs put up by the OB was enough to see how bad it was getting), I can honestly say that Aus gets no where near the current crime situation in London, not even in Melbourne or Sydney.

My keys are left in the car 24/7, house always open, I have never felt safer Susie

Guest guest30038
Is that the one with the 2000% zoom factor Kev?.

Yeah! That's the one Nige..............makes a chipolatta look like a sausage :biglaugh:

kev

Guest guest30038
We have had a whip around for him, he refuses to budge:mad: ...... it was said tongue in cheek!:laugh:he loves the place lol susie

ignore it Sooz...........it's just an Ahole :biglaugh:

kev

Guest guest30038
I think you missed the whole point of Kev’s posting, he loves Australia. It was sarcasm!

You sure? :wink:

kev

Guest guest30038

When you walk into a room full of strangers, it pays to find out something about them before you join the conversation :embarrassed:

kev

I have found about 80% of this thread VERY useful, but the remaining 20% pointless and needless. I am not in any way going to get on a soap box and try to stop because I know I will only succeed in singling myself out for abuse from cyber friends of individuals. The reason I am posting this is, this thread is VERY useful to us individuals just starting out, the needless stuff makes this thread long and pointless and many readers, or posters may get to page 3 and think, "sod this" and close. I do not want to come across as being bossy, this is more of a respectful request to keep this thread on topic and useful for us poor souls stuck in the UK.

I like fun, i love sarcasm but please, there is a time and place.

I also respectfully request that this post is not abused, or singled out for being a pointless post. It is a respectful request to refrain from such posts.

Please

I think he means the social event itself not the bbq used. Because it rains so much here, the people are crap, booze is expensive and the sausages are awful....have I got that right Aldo? :biglaugh:

You never know with Aldo though, but if it is the social occasion is what he means that is nonsense too, everyone knows that it depends on who you invite, I have been to some crap BBQ's in the UK too believe me !

Guest chris955

My point was that overall this country is no safer than the UK, it is pointless comparing one place with one other place, overall I mean.

You compared the whole of Australia with London. The stats don't seem to back up your opinion.

any way back to the thread---if your buyng anything in aus like a car/tv/furniture ect its allways best to haggle for the best deal,i know this is not the english way,but it will save you quite a lot of money,which you may need for a rainy day---some furniture stores do job lots on the whole lounge area,and if you buy the whole lot from them,you get quite a good discount--------im sorry this post did not make you giggle-------but i thought some helpfull advice may come in more usefull to those who dont know much about life in australia.

As always shi7man, you are a beacon of light on this forum, no wonder you are No. 1. on 'that list'. Okay here's one then, a useful post:

Australia is not really very 'quaint' like some of the villages in the UK are. It is a big and expansive and there may be nothing for miles when you are driving. What you see on the map might look close, but it isn't. And don't believe us when you stop and ask directions and we say "It's just down the road there" . That usually means about 100 miles (that's if you're lucky). However you're all welcome if you want to come, it's all up to you. :hug: Are you proud of me now

Alan?

Guest sh7t man no way
I have found about 80% of this thread VERY useful, but the remaining 20% pointless and needless. I am not in any way going to get on a soap box and try to stop because I know I will only succeed in singling myself out for abuse from cyber friends of individuals. The reason I am posting this is, this thread is VERY useful to us individuals just starting out, the needless stuff makes this thread long and pointless and many readers, or posters may get to page 3 and think, "sod this" and close. I do not want to come across as being bossy, this is more of a respectful request to keep this thread on topic and useful for us poor souls stuck in the UK.

I also respectfully request that this post is not abused, or singled out for being a pointless post. It is a respectful request to refrain from such posts.

Please

thanks gaz my sentiments also---theres a time,and place for everthing---another thing in aus the tax year runs from june to june,not april to april like in the uk,i use q tax in queensland,i think its linked in some way to the goverment,theres also loads of things you can claim back on GST (its the aussie tax) but are not aware of till your in the country--theres also salary sacrifice if you work for the goverment services (my missus did it in queensland health),and this give us tax relief on rentals,and morgages plus all expenses related to work--this is how it is in aus,they dont realy tell you much till youve spent the money to learn--the above info is as best as i can remember it,so if in doubt do some research--hopefully this thread from tracy 123 will help,iff its allowed to.

Guest sh7t man no way
As always shi7man, you are a beacon of light on this forum, no wonder you are No. 1. on 'that list'. Okay here's one then, a useful post:

Australia is not really very 'quaint' like some of the villages in the UK are. It is a big and expansive and there may be nothing for miles when you are driving. What you see on the map might look close, but it isn't. And don't believe us when you stop and ask directions and we say "It's just down the road there" . That usually means about 100 miles (that's if you're lucky). However you're all welcome if you want to come, it's all up to you. :hug: Are you proud of me now

Alan?

thanks olly--how about some info on melbourne,and the way it is in australia,for poms who you know--by the way olly :wubclub:when you talk serious i find its a real turn on.--youve just gone to the top of my favorite girly list on pio--anyway lets get back to the thread--thanks for your support olly:notworthy:

Guest proud2beaussie
this is more of a respectful request to keep this thread on topic and useful for us poor souls stuck in the UK.

With respect gaz n family,I think you need to understand where some of the sarcasm comes from before you dismiss it though,see the problem with some people who post on threads like this is they confuse their opinions with facts,for instance there are some people who tell anyone who will listen that Australia has no culture and that Australians are thick,now that may be their opinion but it is not necessarily a fact,people such as yourself need genuine information that is unbiased,not just opinions,of course there is a place for opinion,but it needs to be informed opinion not opinionated claptrap.

Opinions are useful to help gauge peoples perception of life in Australia but it shouldn't be used in isolation to make decisions with.

There are lots of things wrong with Australia,it is not a utopia,but many things that are posted on PIO are simply opinions ,and to make informed decisions about whether Australia is right for you then you need to sort the wheat from the chaff and make judgements afterwards.

I am all for peoples right to express their views and opinions,after all that is what PIO is for-it's a forum,but moving to Australia is a huge decision and it bothers me that some people may be put off by what they perceive as fact-when actually all they are getting is opinion.

An earlier post by Happy Lass is a case in point-she posted a comment (in a lighthearted way) about people bringing chicken sausages to barbecues and she said

you'll want to be sure to avoid these.
now it's fine that she doesn't like chicken sausages but it's not really a "fact" is it?

(I'm not having a go at Happy Lass BTW-far from it).

All the best with your migration plans.

Nigel we must have been thinking of the same thing because I'd just gone back and added a caveat to that original post as I wait for dinner to cook (Greek Lamb Stew with feta cheese for dinner tonight). :wubclub:

For anyone bored enough to wonder if I like chicken, I do actually :) I just don't happen to think it goes all that well with tomato sauce, onions and the usual stuff you have at a barbecue. :cute:

Guest guest30038
I

The wheat from the chaff....................you have to sort it in any forum...............so it is with this thread. If a bit of light hearted banter is going to detract some folk from reading the useful, then I will go back on thread and advise you that it will be encountered in plenty, here in Oz, as well as on this forum, so if one finds humour or sarcasm "distasteful" or out of place here, I would like to warn you about the Aussie propensity for sarcastic humour..........anywhere.............anytime.

kev

Guest proud2beaussie

No worries Happy Lass,I hope you don't think I was having a go at you,I wasn't,just pointing out that I thought you were posting a lighthearted opinion and not a hard fact.

Cheers:hug:

If you get a whiskey and the bartender says do you want ice(i dont usually)and you say yes,dont assume they will put 1 or 2 cubes in the glass.

By the time he brings it back to you it has enuf ice in to sink the titanic:rolleyes:very important this!:yes:

Just thought of a few more for the thread,,,mainly for people coming to QLD.

You will climatise quicker than you think. Winter in Qld especially early mornings and evenings do get chilly,, don't do as i did and give away all your jeans and fleeces,, you will need them,lol.

---------------------------------------------------

Regardless of what skills assesments you have had done in the UK to get your visa, lots of trades require Licences to be gained when you arrive,, research your trade well and budget for course and licence fees. For some trades its not cheap

------------------------------------------------------

Shop around when you arrive. Its surprising how prices can vary from suburb to suburb,and store to store.

Tuesdays in most suburbs across Brisbane are known as Cheap Tuesday,, lots of things can be bought cheaper on this day of the week, including petrol, pizza, dvd hire etc.

Petrol prices can change day to day,Avoid filling up at weekends as its normally dearer.

Cal x

Archived