Warnings about Australia.

tracy123

If you're going for a better work/life balance you may be in for a shock.

It rains (a lot)

UK BBQs are actually better than aussie one . some mmight say "different" I say crap, its my opinion.

I've never had a "proper" BBQ here.... the whole thing is a myth and a damn fake concept that is implanted into British folks minds. I have had better affairs out a foil disposable job from sainsburys cooking on my balcony in London. Sorry, peeps, but just like in the UK, you dont faff around lighting and cleaning them when you have a prefectly good grill.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie
As always shi7man, you are a beacon of light on this forum, no wonder you are No. 1. on 'that list'. Okay here's one then, a useful post:

Australia is not really very 'quaint' like some of the villages in the UK are. It is a big and expansive and there may be nothing for miles when you are driving. What you see on the map might look close, but it isn't. And don't believe us when you stop and ask directions and we say "It's just down the road there" . That usually means about 100 miles (that's if you're lucky). However you're all welcome if you want to come, it's all up to you. :hug: Are you proud of me now

Alan?

Gdneralisation there Olivia:tongue: Tasmania is:hug:

Susie, you beat me to it. Richmond village is a lovely place to visit: http://www.richmondvillage.com.au and it's not the only lovely place here.

Nigel, I didn't think that for a moment. :smile:

Edited to add: wherever you live, don't forget to bring your winter clothes. As Cal says, you will acclimatise to the temperatures here and you do so quickly. Tasmania and Victoria in particular can experience what seems like a whole year's worth of seasons in a day so you'll be glad you brought your woollens and your water-proofs.

Guest sh7t man no way

i dont usually do personnel on pio,but i think this thread deserves it--tommorow im taking my daughter to the gold coast hospital to have a look at the birthing sweet(im expecting my second grandchild in october) we had our first gandchild in nov 07--so i thought id put this infomation on for anybody who is moving to queensland,and wishing to start a family,in 07 my daughter choose to use a birthing sweet she was in for 5 hours (thats all they allow you) but if you if you do this you have unlimited access to a midwife for one month,which we felt was the right thing to do,my daughter is going along the same route for our second grandchild in october--if she goes the other way,and stays in hospital for more time than the birthing sweet allows,shes basically left on her own to deal with any problems that arise.--starting a family is a very big,and important thing in life--so i hope this helps

Guest siamsusie
Susie, you beat me to it. Richmond village is a lovely place to visit: Historic Richmond Village Tasmania - Accommodation in Richmond and it's not the only lovely place here.

Nigel, I didn't think that for a moment. :smile:

lol HappyLass, I was there the other day with my husband , one of our brothers in laws lives there. Ross also , Evandale in Launceston absolutely gorgeous ..too many to list but all picture postcard stuff love Susie x

I did ask, with respect not to be singled out, nor did i purposly mention anyone by name.

After 24 years in the UK military i think i have become well versed in sarcasum and whit, so thanks for your apparent warning and what or what not to expect.

I guess then, my respectful request is going to be ignored, thanks.

Guest siamsusie

I've never had a "proper" BBQ here.... the whole thing is a myth and a damn fake concept that is implanted into British folks minds. I have had better affairs out a foil disposable job from sainsburys cooking on my balcony in London. Sorry, peeps, but just like in the UK, you dont faff around lighting and cleaning them when you have a prefectly good grill.

I have to say Mr Catonia, I agree with you about the gas BBQ's although we have one, I tend to cook on our real BBQ using apple woodchips or the Webber.. Nothing wrong with balcony cooking in London, had some wonderful meals on my son's balcony watching the river barges chugging down the canal...:wubclub:

i dont usually do personnel on pio,but i think this thread deserves it--tommorow im taking my daughter to the gold coast hospital to have a look at the birthing sweet(im expecting my second grandchild in october) we had our first gandchild in nov 07--so i thought id put this infomation on for anybody who is moving to queensland,and wishing to start a family,in 07 my daughter choose to use a birthing sweet she was in for 5 hours (thats all they allow you) but if you if you do this you have unlimited access to a midwife for one month,which we felt was the right thing to do,my daughter is going along the same route for our second grandchild in october--if she goes the other way,and stays in hospital for more time than the birthing sweet allows,shes basically left on her own to deal with any problems that arise.--starting a family is a very big,and important thing in life--so i hope this helps

The birthing "sweet" mate,what do they give them,a gobstopper to keep the noise down?:biglaugh:,Nah seriously ,made up for yer alan:wink:

Guest sh7t man no way
If you get a whiskey and the bartender says do you want ice(i dont usually)and you say yes,dont assume they will put 1 or 2 cubes in the glass.

By the time he brings it back to you it has enuf ice in to sink the titanic:rolleyes:very important this!:yes:

thats the important thing pabs,nothing worse than watered down whiskey---anyway mate what did you think of adelade when you went there,and what are the aussies like to poms in that part of the world.

Guest siamsusie

Actually I find this post very endearing Alan, it is showing how involved the grandparents are in such a special time for the families, and I much admire it... wishing you all a healthy grandchild, love Susie x

thats the important thing pabs,nothing worse than watered down whiskey---anyway mate what did you think of adelade when you went there,and what are the aussies like to poms in that part of the world.

Only pom i met was Russell(tyke on here)and his better half,they were sound,dead helpfull.

Met loads of Aussies just sitting in the beer garden etc,top drawer,dead interested in us,where we were from etc,dont know why,we dont live a very interesting life:biglaugh:.

As ive said the accent problem is a bit of a chore,but thats my fault,not theirs.

All sound mate,all got their little "peace pipes" out and asked did we wanna go:goofy:.

Every time we went out we were invited back to lock ins or partys,so cant complain.

It was only 3weeks tho,im sure i'l meet halfwit aussies just like i meet halfwits here.

Im a cynical arl barsteward anyway mate,so no rose tinted specs,or silly expectations here.

When you walk into a room full of strangers, it pays to find out something about them before you join the conversation :embarrassed:

kev

ahole is an aussie who stumbled across this thread by accident, and was outraged at your (tongue in cheek) comment, and had to defend oz so he went through the hassle of registering on the forum just to make one post:biglaugh:

Guest proud2beaussie
did anyone see east enders last night?

No sorry Aldo they don't show it on my local station,what happened!!?.

Guest sh7t man no way
did anyone see east enders last night?

p**s of aldo--this thread is for guys who are interested in there future not there past-----if you want to go there put a thread up as an invite--as they say bring it on.--your move not mine.

p**s of aldo--this thread is for guys who are interested in there future not there past-----if you want to go there put a thread up as an invite--as they say bring it on.--your move not mine.

Fat Pat and peggy mitchell had a big row but ronnie locked them in a room and they got drunk and made up:wubclub: I don't think the friendship will last, there's too much history between them:cute:

Yes I did...you mean here in Aus ????? it was really sad I thought....You mean the wedding yeah ??
who's wedding?

Guest sh7t man no way

Fat Pat and peggy mitchell had a big row but ronnie locked them in a room and they got drunk and made up:wubclub: I don't think the friendship will last, there's too much history between them:cute:
aldo im trying to protect this thread as feel its important to the people who have a genuine interest in australia,and what there future may hold--this is a very important part of me being on pio--so if you want to chat about eastenders,ill put a thread on just for you,so you can leave the real issues of life up to real people my darling--ps i love you to bits but you can be a tease sometimes,ya a man after me own heart --ps what was auatralia like for you,you must have had some good times in your walk about surley:wubclub:

Amira's wedding where christian bursts in !! Obviously you mean in Uk not here.

No here Archie has just been murdered.

well... the muslim bloke (is that Amira or is that the girl?) got caught playing hide the sausage with christian by his dad!!:shocked:

sh7tman, don't you watch eastenders in aus? this actually on topic because poms may emmigrate to australia to get away from it, then turn on the telle and theres fat pat but notg now, in the past!! people need warning.

Guest pablofet1
Oh, and you WILL get beasties (geckos, ants and the like) moving in from time to time, despite your best efforts to prevent them...along with maggots in your dustbin, which can be minimized by freezing left over meat and fish until bin collection day.

Sue x

Oooooo i did wonder about left over food-maggots,smell etc:eek:

How often do they collect the rubbish ????

Guest Stretchy

Quality thread. Loads of useful tips for someone like myself who is looking forward to getting out there and I've actually enjoyed reading some decent banter in between:biggrin: Not a watcher of Eastenders though so can't contribute beyond that:wink:

WARNING - LONG POST

Okay Alan, will give you the run down on Melbourne, and I will try and be fair, honest and unbiased, hopefully ! To set the context: born here, Brit parents, dual citizenship, lived in both places, have travelled the world extensively.

Melbourne can be a place which takes a while to 'get to know'. We are often the butt of jokes within the country. Sydneysiders will tell you that the best thing to come out of Melbourne is the Hume Highway. Sydney is famous for being the city on the water, but anyone who knows Melbourne knows that it also is on the water, albeit a Bay not a Harbour so to speak. Go on top of the Westgate Bridge for views across the water, and a good view of the oil refineries and industrial areas of Melbourne with some smoke stacks which can wreck the skyline as well. I think it is not unfair to say Melbourne is the most 'British' of all the cities in some ways, we have a thriving theatre and restaurant culture and there are plenty of clubs, pubs and live bands for entertainment. While 40 years ago the outer suburbs were mainly orchards, today the outer suburbs of the city have sprawled massively in each direction to accommodate our growing population (when mum and dad came in 1947 Australia's population was 5 million). Large housing estates sprung up for young families to raise their family, resulting in a rather large suburban housing estates, possibly a bit like the United States in some ways. So the '3 bedroom brick veneer' became the norm, then the infrastructure would be built around that. To a newly arrived person, you could see this as an unending mileage of suburb after suburb which blend into one. You need a map to find out where you are, as Ringwood could become Frankston and you have only a freeway sign to let you know where you are ! In recent years the housing market has boomed, and some areas have become ridiculously priced, necessitating that some homebuyers move further out from the central business district (CBD).

This is difficult if you work in the city, as it can mean a longer commute, and the transport system has not kept up with demand, so it can be a frustrating commute as well, especially on a hot day when everyone can get frazzled in summer at train breakdowns (the tracks buckle in the heat). Of course more roads/highways and some tollways have been built to get people into, across and around Melbourne, and this also has been a problem, as congestion has tripled. So, in some ways traffic and transport can be as hectic as London at peak hours. No picnic I can assure you.

Many of Melbourne's treasures are a bit 'hidden'. For instance, we have several 'high street' type shopping villages and we go there shop for speciality items and have a fabulous cappaccino at one of the fantastic cafes. While I say we have some 'village' type shopping, these areas might not be the same 'quaintness' that villages in Britain offer, they are only an alternative to our massive shopping complexes, of which I believe there are far too many for our population. We have city beaches and Peninsula beaches, whatever type of beach you want, it is here. However, unlike Sydney/Brisbane/Gold Coast etc, we don't have a 'beach culture' as such, but in summer when it is hot for days on end (and some of us think this is getting worse, think 35-40C plus days regularly) we often go and have a swim at the city/bay beaches late at night, and wait for 'the cool change' as we call it. Our weather can get very unsettled, a bit like London in some ways. It is very true that the temperature can be 40C one minute, then turn quite windy, stormy and rainy and drop down to 20C within half an hour. There can be, and have been, some weather events, almost like mini cyclones which will mean you will have to duck for cover and safe the roof on your house or fend off hailstones the size of golfballs which will wreck your car. The city can become flooded in minutes, then maybe not long after the sun comes out and it is still. The winter, at night, in the middle of June/July/August can be bloody freezing, and you will scrape frost and some ice off your car window (remind you of somewhere?). Many of our houses aren't heated as efficiently as the UK, therefore you can often feel cold at times, but "most" houses have some form of heating, otherwise you may have to install it, and cooling as well. Unlike the hydronic heating in UK which keeps the houses 'snug and warm', many of our houses are run on ducted heating which can be drying on the skin and just a lot of hot air blowing around with dust particles as well (not good for asthmatics etc).

Lastly, if you are not asleep by now.....our grass in the countryside is not always as green as the UK, it is often yellow/brown and stark in some areas, and the long winding highways out of town can go on forever it seems, and the gums and other native trees can appear a bit 'scrappy' sometimes. However, they are interspersed with European trees, planted by our European settlers and planners, and in the sun all these trees shimmer in the bright Australian sunlight which bears down on them.

Melbourne may not be for everyone. It can be an unusual place which takes a bit of time to get to know, and you may not recognise it as the postcard picture of Australia as it has been represented to you (i.e. Neighbours). I guess it is also fair to say Melburnians can lead a busy lifestyle, so if you are from a big UK city, and are after a 'change of lifestyle' it might not be for you. You might like to join shi7man, Bobj, and Kev up in Qld where there is a different lifestyle, more laid back in the opinions of some.

Some other PIO friends I got to know moved from Melbourne to Sunshine Coast for this very reason. Melbourne was 'too busy' and the Sunshine Coast was 'like the postcards we see of Australia". Each to their own. For all of you who are thinking of coming to Melbourne, do your homework is what I would suggest. It might be that there are more job prospects for you here and you are willing to give it a try. I know that it is normal to try and compare Melbourne or Australia generally for that matter, with the UK. There is crime here too, and we have some problems too with some young kids feeling disenfranchised for whatever reason, and they do drugs or violent crimes, and like most other cities we are as worried about it as any other city is. The answers aren't easy. Having said that, it is 'relatively' safe in many areas, but being aware can be helpful.

Do try and come with an open mind though, it will help if you accept it here warts and all, the good with the bad. That's all I can say. Sorry if I have gone on too long. I will say I am not sorry that Mum and Dad came here to live - I watched their ups and downs for 60 years. I have always believed that emigrating is not an easy decision. I wish all of you who choose to take that path all the best. There are lots of people on the forum living in Melbourne, as usual any questions, fire away !

Archived