Going to court to take children out of the country.

tracy123

Tracy,

Can you please also advise what you would have done had the court not given permission for you to take Jake to Australia ?

I presume you must have discussed this possibility.

Would the whole family have stayed in the UK, or could you imagine yourself leaving Jake behind (with his dad) and the rest of the family moving anyway.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jake has recently disclosed that he does not want to go to his dad's anymore as he is 'fed up of being palmed off with other people rather than spending time with dad'.

What a bizarre thing for a seven year old to say. He is frustrated that he doesn't have enough contact with his father so he wants to see even less of him - and now to move away from him forever.

What a bizarre thing for a seven year old to say. He is frustrated that he doesn't have enough contact with his father so he wants to see even less of him - and now to move away from him forever.

I am not sure that it is such an odd thing for a seven year old to say. My nieces have lived with my mum since they were four and five years old (long story). About the age of seven or eight, they decided that they no longer wanted any contact with either of their parents. Mum kept the lines of communication open in case they should change their minds, but so far they haven't (they are now 13 and 14). They used to see their dad every other weekend, but would be left with his parents so that he could go out with whatever girlfriend he had that week. My sister (their mum) would promise to come and see them or collect them for a day out, but not turn up. I think that they just got fed up with promises being broken and being 'dumped' on whoever would have them. To not see their parents at all has, I am sure, been far less damaging than the constant disappointment and rejection that they would have otherwise been subjected to.

I think it has been incredibly brave of Tracy and Geoff to post their experiences on here for the benefit of others and, whilst I am not in their situation, as a parent I can see that this decision would have been very difficult and not taken lightly at all. Family situations are often very complex, and the whole family needs to be taken into account.

I wish Tracy and Geoff and their family all the best.

My daughters at the same age said exactly the same thing, when their Father did not bother turning up when he was supposed to or was too busy taking a holiday with his new girlfriend and her children that is exactly what they said. The eldest even said he was a waste of space, her words certainly not a term I have ever used.

Children arent stupid and they are very able to form their own opinions and nothing is for ever. Both my daughters now 16 & 19, are staying with their Father in Brisbane and I am sure Traceys son will make up his own mind in his own time if he wants to do the same. For now though the family and the whole court system agree that it is best for the child to emigrate to Australia. Its not for us to argue Cafcass are the experts and they have agreed this is the best way forward.

As has been mentioned I whole heartedly congratulate both Geoff and Tracey for giving us this inside of this process. Its a nightmare for a lot of people.

Guest Calliope
For now though the family and the whole court system agree that it is best for the child to emigrate to Australia. Its not for us to argue Cafcass are the experts and they have agreed this is the best way forward.

What the court has done is agreed with a 'consent to move' application for the child. This is does mean anyone thinks the child would be better off in Australia without his father. It means that, as it looks like the family is moving anyway (given that Tracy's partner has already left one lot of children on the other side of the world, it seems quite possible they are considering leaving without the child) they are giving permission for Tracy to take the child. It is far more complicated than you have suggested.

As for the "family agreeing" as you've stated, you are simply wrong. If the father agreed, there would not have been a court case. You can't remove the father from the family, no matter how far you take the children from him.

Cafcass are not always right and we are quite within our rights to argue with anything they do. (Especially those of us who consider that other parents might come to a thread like this and feel it endorses them in making a very, very bad decision on behalf of children whom - as the very existence of Cafcass proves -are the responsibility of all of us, as a society.)

What the court has done is agreed with a 'consent to move' application for the child. This is does mean anyone thinks the child would be better off in Australia without his father. It means that, as it looks like the family is moving anyway (given that Tracy's partner has already left one lot of children on the other side of the world, it seems quite possible they are considering leaving without the child) they are giving permission for Tracy to take the child. It is far more complicated than you have suggested.

As for the "family agreeing" as you've stated, you are simply wrong. If the father agreed, there would not have been a court case. You can't remove the father from the family, no matter how far you take the children from him.

Cafcass are not always right and we are quite within our rights to argue with anything they do. (Especially those of us who consider that other parents might come to a thread like this and feel it endorses them in making a very, very bad decision on behalf of children whom - as the very existence of Cafcass proves -are the responsibility of all of us, as a society.)

I actually find this post extremely offensive and do not know either Tracey or Geoff.

Guest guest36187

Calliope, You have NO idea of Tracey and Geoffs circumstances and therefore have no right at all to speculate on their case.

I find your post both offending and insulting.

I hope you have the strength Tracey and Geoff to rise above posts like this. You did teh best for your family unit.

Found myself reading this thread from the start today and am not going to make any comment either way.

I would suggest though that Joanne (or another mod) close it out as it is going so far off what Geoffrey intended it's original purpose to be unless he and Tracey are happy for it to essentially be 'hi-jacked' by both those offering support or damning them for their actions.

Calliope, You have NO idea of Tracey and Geoffs circumstances...

I thought it was précised quite well here: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/82979-going-court-take-children-out-country-9.html#post830854

...and therefore have no right at all to speculate on their case.

Actually, we all have every right to comment on posts in a public forum.

I find your post both offending and insulting.

That's your prerogative. As someone who has given up my own job, home and moved 12,000 miles to keep a family together, I find this thread offending and insulting. That's my prerogative.

I hope you have the strength Tracey and Geoff to rise above posts like this. You did teh best for your family unit.

I hope so; I hope they didn't just do what was best for themselves.

This thread has now been closed as it appears some members are posting on the thread without having read the original post and what the thread is actually about. In addition, a quick refresher course of the forum rules & guidelines appears to be the order of the day. If in any doubt about the conduct expected of members, the rules can be found here: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/welcome/91456-forum-rules-guidelines.html

Archived