Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

Thanks Snifter and CollegeGirl. That's very interesting information.

She's not covered by reciprocal Medicare unfortunately.

Thanks for finding that College Girl.

McKlaut, I think that above info explains it all very well.

Is your partner not able to access the reciprocal Medicare with a pregnancy? I don't know the ins and outs of that so you would have to research.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Argh, I emailed around 3 weeks ago to ask if I needed a certain police check, and finally got a response a few days ago. I then replied, asking when my application (13/08/12) would be assigned a case officer, not really expecting anything.. get a reply today with "I can confirm that this Partner Visa application has been put forward for preliminary assessment. This generally takes between 2 and 4 weeks."

Finally moving forward!!

Got to admit, it's scaring the shite out of me. I'm expecting an email asking for more information, as me and my partner don't rent (live with her family) we were a bit low on the financial aspect of proof to begin with. Tbh I never actually imagined it being approved, haha, I've been preparing for it being rejected for almost 13 months, so now it's getting closer to the point where they'll potentially say that.. it's pretty terrifying.

Argh, I emailed around 3 weeks ago to ask if I needed a certain police check, and finally got a response a few days ago. I then replied, asking when my application (13/08/12) would be assigned a case officer, not really expecting anything.. get a reply today with "I can confirm that this Partner Visa application has been put forward for preliminary assessment. This generally takes between 2 and 4 weeks."

Finally moving forward!!

Got to admit, it's scaring the shite out of me. I'm expecting an email asking for more information, as me and my partner don't rent (live with her family) we were a bit low on the financial aspect of proof to begin with. Tbh I never actually imagined it being approved, haha, I've been preparing for it being rejected for almost 13 months, so now it's getting closer to the point where they'll potentially say that.. it's pretty terrifying.

If the family are happy to put it in writing you live with them and all that, I don't see it as something to worry about. You've got supporting proof you are both residing at the same address (must be some bill or statement comes through to one or both of you putting you in the same house, like a bank or mobile one on a regular basis), family who will write to this effect also, even if you don't actually pay them rent. You've had plenty of time to accumulate that sort of thing to ensure you can show supporting evidence if its requested now. I'm sure things will be fine.

Just found this thread...haven't applied on shore but considering it for the future. Snifter, or anyone else, before we go, I was going to submit my police check and then put the return address as an aussie address so that i don't need to fill it out and send it to the UK. Then frontload it with our application. It says we can do this. I'd wait to be asked for my medical though. Also when we leave i november and if we applied in december/jan, would they need proof of us living together for the last 2 months? We'd probably only have hotel bookings and flights together as evidence once we've moved out of the house.

Just found this thread...haven't applied on shore but considering it for the future. Snifter, or anyone else, before we go, I was going to submit my police check and then put the return address as an aussie address so that i don't need to fill it out and send it to the UK. Then frontload it with our application. It says we can do this. I'd wait to be asked for my medical though. Also when we leave i november and if we applied in december/jan, would they need proof of us living together for the last 2 months? We'd probably only have hotel bookings and flights together as evidence once we've moved out of the house.

Sounds good :) Afaik the PC can be done front loaded for onshore. If it expires it means you'll have to get another one done at a later date (valid for a year) but that isn't a massive cost or anything.

And re the living together, yes, it would be wanted I would figure as they are looking for the last 12 months iirc. Make sure you keep your flight stuff, print out of booking with both your names etc showing you on flights together, tickets and all that. And if need be would someone who is renting to you or wherever you are staying write a quick stat dec to state you have been residing together on the farm or some such once in Aus? I am sure you can fill the timeframe they are after, just a case of making sure you can back it up. What about a mail redirect for both of you or something. Plenty of time to research it all :)

well it's just a hotel rental, we'd be there a month, i dont think i'd be comfortable asking someone random to do a statement for us. The only person i could ask is Kate lol once she's met Paul anyway. Just hoping hotel booking in our name and flights and a few photos of us in cairns as well as all of our previous evidence would be enough! Just gonna get it done ASAP. Gonna ask our family to do statements when we're in aus and send it to us, thats all i can think of we'd need to sort from the UK.

Guest TOM9981

I got my Visa! So I applied via Sydney mid December with all items in place except my AFP check which I added upon request.

I am married to my Australia wife since 30th June 2011 but I have lived with her since 2005 in a committed relationship demonstrable by a joint mortgage since 2007 in the UK. I have a bub on the way and I arrived here on a 457 on the 19th September 2011 where we have rented an apartment together in Sydney since.

Because of our substantiated and committed relationship I wrote an email a few months ago to immigration requesting to be considered for immediate Permanent Residency which i had no response to at the time. I found out officially yesterday by post which happened to be my birthday, great present.

My Case officer had phoned me whilst I was in the UK two weeks ago but could not get hold of me so spoke to my wife who was still in Aus at the time, so it would have been earlier but I was out of the country. She just confirmed I was in Aus when I got back, that I had a joint mortgage with the wife etc (even though she ahd the papers etc) and that we had a kid on the way all of which was enough to grant the PR on the spot.

Late December 2012 to early september 2013 application time. From 457 to PR in 1 week less than 2 years in the country. I think thats a result!

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Argh, I'm trying not to jinx things but I have some fairly awesome news!

A few days ago I got an email requesting further documents, and my UK police check and medical. My immediate thought was "oh **** we didn't provide enough stuff" and I started bricking it, but emailed the case officer back to ask whether it's due to not providing enough evidence in the first place, or the request was for evidence since then. He replied extremely quickly and assured me that it was for evidence since the date of lodgement, and that as he was looking to finalise the application (!) he needed evidence of us being together since then. I emailed back again with a list of things we had to hand and could provide, and he said that that should be sufficient and he would look forward to recieving it.

Soooo.. looks like it's good news! Not going to be overly confident yet, but it's a load off both our minds for sure. Medical is set for 30/09, and I sent the police check off at the beginning of last week. Fingers crossed I'll be getting the medical back within the next month, which means if we're super lucky then the application will be finalised and visa granted before me and my partner leave for a holiday in England in the middle of November!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

12 Sept 12 - Applied for onshore partner visa, all checks etc included in app, lived with partner 1 year

Feb 13 - Bridging visa B granted to travel

Early Sept 13 - Applied for another BVB

A bit later - asked for recent financial evidence on relationship, posted stuff off, took nearly 2 weeks to get to Perth from Sydney.

16 Sept 13 - Perth telephone saying they've just heard about BVB app, so want to rush app, paperwork hadn't arrived in Perth. Emailed over some bank statements. Same day, visa granted.

When I applied for my second BVB, I told them I wanted to travel end of Sept, as they only grant BVBs two weeks before your date of travel, how anybody can plan like that, I don't know! Anyway, I think that helped.

Phew. 11 months to PR...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've received below email from DIBP last week, since then i did my AFP check and health check(AFP certificate sent via registered post and medical was done with HAP ID-electronically). Is there anyone else who have received email like below? Should I expect my visa/Case officer anytime soon?

Thank you for your assistance.

Re: Application for a temporary visa for Partner Migration (Class UK, Subclass 820)

This is an automatically generated message. If you have been contacted by a case officer or your Temporary Partner application has been finalised, please disregard this message.

We refer to your application for Temporary Partner Migration, lodged on 27-Nov-2012. Your application for the Temporary Partner visa will be allocated to a case officer and undergo further assessment within the coming months.

If you have not submitted all your police clearances or have not completed your permanent residence health assessment, refer to the information below on obtaining these documents. By providing these documents and completing these requirements, you will assist in a prompt assessment of your application. You may submit all outstanding documents together.

Please note that we are unable to acknowledge receipt of documents. If you wish to keep a record of the delivery of the documents you should use registered post.

FORMS

All DIBP forms referred to in this letter can be downloaded from our website at: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/application-forms/

PERSONAL PARTICULARS FOR CHARACTER ASSESSMENT - FORM 80

If you have not already done so, download and complete Form 80 and return it to our office as soon as possible. Pay particular attention to Questions 21 to 26. It is essential that everyperiod of time is accounted for, with no gaps in the timeline of your residence, employment and education histories. Any gaps in information will delay processing. You may download the Form 80 from our website at: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/80.pdf

POLICE CLEARANCES

An original National Police Clearance (NPC) from the Australian Federal Police (AFP) is required in the following circumstances:

• A NPC from the AFP is required for any visa applicant (including dependants) who is over 16 years of age and who has resided in Australia cumulatively for twelve months or more. Given that 12 months must have elapsed since the applicant has turned 16, a NPC will only need to be obtained for applicants who are over the age of 17.

• If you have included a dependant child/children (who is currently under the age of 18) as part of this application, the sponsor must also provide a NPC from the AFP.

You have two options for submitting your application to the Australian Federal Police:

Online https://afpnationalpolicechecks.converga.com.au/

• Select Commonwealth Purpose/Employmentin Section B) Purpose of Check (drop down box) and then Immigration /citizenship;
  • Select Name Check Onlyin Section C) Type of check required.

A downloadable form https://afpnationalpolicechecks.converga.com.au/static/images/afp/afp_online_form.pdf

• Select Name Check Onlyin Section C) Type of Check Required
  • Select Code Number 33 (Immigration/Citizenship) in Section 8) Purpose of Check

Important information to note for all applicants:

• You must apply to Australian Federal Police (AFP), not to your state police force;
  • You must include all variations of names used and known by, including those listed in your passport (maiden, name changed by deed poll etc);
  • A fingerprint check is not required;
  • Do not request the police certificate be forwarded directly to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. The certificate will be sent to you and you will send it to the department.

For further information on fees and submitting your application refer to http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx

HEALTH EXAMINATIONS

If you have not already completed your health examinations (including using My Health Declarations) you will need to contact the Partner mailbox requesting a Health Examinations List. Please use Health Examination Request in the subject line of your email. Email address: partner.temporary.vic@immi.gov.au

ENQUIRIES ABOUT THIS APPLICATION

Your case has been assigned to the Temporary Partner Processing Centre VIC (contact details listed below). When your case is allocated to a case officer, you will be advised of any outstanding requirements to finalise your application. Please send any documents to the office processing your application, and quote your File Number and Request ID in all correspondence.

Until your case is allocated for finalisation, all enquires should be directed by email to the office processing your application (contact details listed below).

CHANGE IN CIRCUMSTANCES

You must inform DIBP of any change in your circumstances that affects any answer to a question in your application form, for example:

• If you change residential address for more than 14 days;
  • If the composition of your family changes as a result of birth or death;
  • If your relationship status changes (eg married, separated, divorced, ceased);
  • If you intend to travel outside Australia;
  • If changes occur affecting your name, passport, character, health.

You may use Form 1022 Notification of Changes in Circumstancesavailable from our website, to provide us with this information. Please send this information to the office processing your application (contact details below).

If you wish to withdraw your application, your letter must include the names and dates of birth of each applicant who is withdrawing, and it must be signed by each person aged 18 years or over.

CLIENT SERVICE INFORMATION

More information about your rights and obligations, including our Client Service Charter and how to make a compliment, complaint or suggestion, is available on the DIAC website at: http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charters/client-services-charter/.

To obtain general information on all temporary and permanent visas please visit our website or contact our general enquiry line on 131 881 between 8:30am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday.

Yours sincerely

Temporary Partner Processing Centre, Vic

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

CONTACT DETAILS

The office processing your application is:

Temporary Partner Processing Centre, Vic

Postal address: GPO Box 241 Melbourne VIC 3001

Telephone contact: 131 881

Email: partner.temporary.vic@immi.gov.au

Guess who's now on an 820!

Sent in my uk police check on Wednesday, decided to check VEVO on Friday and couldn't log in with my BVA grant number. Called up to get a password to check VEVO and when I logged on.. 820 granted!

14 months and 11 days from start to finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Hoping anyone with experience/knowledge of prospective marriage visa moving onto onshore partner visa can give me some info...

I am currently in Australia on prospective marriage visa (granted june 2013). My fiance and I are to be wed in feb 2014, just a few weeks before the expiry of my pmv.

I have started to get organised to apply (again!) for onshore partner visa. As I understand, I submit pretty much everything that was submitted for my pmv plus extra evidence accumulated in the past year including marriage evidence.

I am just wondering, what the status quo seems to be at the moment with regard to pmv-partner visa process? Is this likely to take just as long as those applying for the visa without a pmv? How long am I looking at? And do I have to apply for a bridging visa before expiry of my pmv? And is so, when?

Apologies for all the questions, very grateful for any advice/info.

I am just wondering, what the status quo seems to be at the moment with regard to pmv-partner visa process? Is this likely to take just as long as those applying for the visa without a pmv? How long am I looking at? And do I have to apply for a bridging visa before expiry of my pmv? And is so, when?.

my experience was that a decision ready submission of an 820 application, handed in over the counter at the Melbourne Office in 2010 was processed in two weeks. The 801 was also submitted decision ready by post in late 2012 and was processed within three weeks of the eligibility date. But YMMV.

After getting married, you will need to apply for an official marriage certificate from your state registry office. These are available after a couple of weeks of marriage, once your celebrant has submitted the paperwork. You can get them over the counter if you bring the correct three forms of ID. You also need new personal statements and evidence of togetherness including two stat decs from Australian citizens. You should submit this before your PMV expires to avoid being in a world of pain. They will give you a bridging visa on the spot when you submit the application to cover you once your PMV expires. If you let your PMV expire before you submit your 820 application, you will have to talk to DIAC and they will give you a bridging visa to give you time to submit your 820 but you may affect your work rights in the process.

Thanks so much for that info, Quinkla - very helpful.

My concern has been realising that Partner visas can apparently no longer be processed in person ie. at the Melbourne office. They all have to be sent by mail to a central processing centre. At least I think I am correct in saying this?

This is a concern since we have left things a little tight for time by getting married on 3 Feb 2014 when my PMV expires on 28 Feb 2014! (all planned to maximise wedding saving and organisation time...) Anyway, I will have our entire application in order prior to our wedding so it will only be the official marriage cert to be added along with a few wedding pics/card, I imagine... I just wish I could still apply over the counter to be assured all is received at the correct time!

If anyone else out there has even more recent experience of pmv - 820 partner visa, I'd love to hear your story!

It's tight but doable provided you have all the paperwork ready to go and get the marriage certificate from Births Deaths Marriages on Collins Street. Read their website in advance to make sure you have the right IDs and be prepared to wait an hour or so in the queue. They will then run off the certificate from their inkjet printer and hand it straight toyou. You will be given a Bridging Visa A by return of post once you submit your application.

It's tight but doable provided you have all the paperwork ready to go and get the marriage certificate from Births Deaths Marriages on Collins Street. Read their website in advance to make sure you have the right IDs and be prepared to wait an hour or so in the queue. They will then run off the certificate from their inkjet printer and hand it straight toyou. You will be given a Bridging Visa A by return of post once you submit your application.

Perfect - thank you!

This is exactly what I have been planning for, but it is great to have some assurance from someone with experience - thank you again!

I have one last question, which may seem silly but I'm not too aware of how marriage & name changing all works... So, when my name changes on marriage and is stated on my marriage certificate as such, shall I then put my 'new' name on my visa application form? Obviously my police checks and passport will be submitted under my maiden name as my name will have only changed 3 weeks prior. Is that standard practice?

Many thanks.

Yep, great advice from Qunkla. PMV to 820 applications are usually processed SUPER quickly (in just a few weeks). We even have had a few people on another forum recently that had their approval in just a few days. Wouldn't count on THAT, of course. But you almost definitely are not in for a long wait! :)

I have one last question, which may seem silly but I'm not too aware of how marriage & name changing all works... So, when my name changes on marriage and is stated on my marriage certificate as such, shall I then put my 'new' name on my visa application form?.

The marriage certificate shows your birth name. The visa name needs to be the same name as your passport. It would be better to use your birth name for this, otherwise you will have the delay of applying for a name change for your passport and that will eat into your three and a half weeks. My firm advice, given Australia's fetish for ID, is to retain your birth name on all official documents and consider using your married name only informally if at all. It is a pain to have to keep explain the change of name with an official document trail, and if (Heaven forbid) you later become unmarried or remarried it becomes very difficult to hold the trail together.

College Girl is right that these subsequent partner visas can be processed quickly but some people do get the full waiting experience so be aware that you may have to wait...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help? We are planning on submitting my on shore partner visa 820 in about 2 weeks time... here's a checklist of what i think we need (we're doing it ourselves). I'm sure i've got everything but want to check

-evidence of living together for nearly 2 years (bills in one or both our names and tenancy agreements)

-stat decs from both of us which we're going to get certified by a JP tomorrow

-copies of our birth certificates, passports and my partners proof of PR which will be certified tomorrow

-waiting on family's certified statements to be done and sent in the post

-waiting on my ACRO police check to be processed and sent here

-photos of us together

-bank statements showing me transferring my half of the rent and bills each week/month

-other little bits with both of our names on, flight tickets/booking and hotel bookings with both our names on.

-will be filling out forms 40sp and 47sp

That's pretty much it but I'm sure that will be enough?

So we can't take it into them in person? Because we're in Cairns and there's a processing centre here. Also how do you pay by debit card? I can't find the form to use to fill out to include with our application??

Any help would be great.

I just found this http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa-enquiries/_pdf/factsheet-partner-temp.pdf so i guess i can only send it to Brisbane

Evidence and supporting material sounds good to me.

I'd not include too many pics.

Can't help on the payment side as paid by CC then cleared the balance once it was debited.

Thanks guys. From other threads though it seems I have to fill in form 80 too though?? And apparently the visa is going to be available to apply online but i think i'll stick to the paper based one as everything is already printed off/certified. It looks like we'll be able to use Pauls debit card as a credit card then.

Archived