Guest guest36187

48 minutes ago, vika said:

Hi All, 

I applied for my parents' 143 VISA in September 2018. I got a queue letter email from the department on Dec 2021.

When I originally applied, the wait time was approximately 4 years on their website.

What is the significance of the queue letter received with respect to wait times ? Any indications that could give us a clue about the wait times before we hear from the department for processing ? :'((((

The wait time of four years wasn’t for those applying when you did.  It was for those currently in the queue at the time.  Not at all clear and misleading but that’s what it is.  I think if you applied in Sept 2018, you are looking at about another 5 or 6 years still. 

15 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

The wait time of four years wasn’t for those applying when you did.  It was for those currently in the queue at the time.  Not at all clear and misleading but that’s what it is.  I think if you applied in Sept 2018, you are looking at about another 5 or 6 years still. 

Hi Tulip, 

Thanks for your response, appreciate it. I understand what you are saying. I'm just going to die instead of breaking this news to my parents. This is unbelievable. Thanks though.

15 hours ago, deesydney said:

Hi Vika

What is difference between Acknowledgement letter versus Queue letter.

I applied for my father application in Mar 19 and we received a acknowledgment letter following month in April 19. 

What does your Queue letter state? 

I got the acknowledgement within one week of applying in Sep 2018 itself.

Last month, I got a queue letter stating that my application has been now placed in a queue because of the cap of maximum number of VISA allowed to be granted in a year. Remaining processing time was said to be something that cannot be estimated. It's just all in the dark. If the above comment by Tulip is the real state of affairs, then my total time would will be about 10 years from the date of application. I find it hard to even type this.

On 04/11/2021 at 10:54, Lady Jane said:

The worst part of the whole process is that parents applying go by the application processing time on the website. As you say your parents made the decision to delay applying, which we did too. It’s so difficult as your life revolves around when you might get the visa. 
if the immi website was clear in the processing times parents could then make an informed decision when to apply.  I know how you feel, we felt like it would never happen( especially with Covid)  but eventually it did.  
Keep your chin up and good luck. 

Hi Lady Jane,

If I may ask, any idea when you got the Queue Letter from the department and what the processing time was at that time on their website when you received the queue letter? I got a queue letter last month and I applied in Sep 2018. I wanted to know what the remaining wait time could be. Though, it cannot be precise, I thought it would give me a rough idea. Thanks.

Edited by vika

28 minutes ago, vika said:

I got the acknowledgement within one week of applying in Sep 2018 itself.

Last month, I got a queue letter stating that my application has been now placed in a queue because of the cap of maximum number of VISA allowed to be granted in a year. Remaining processing time was said to be something that cannot be estimated. It's just all in the dark. If the above comment by Tulip is the real state of affairs, then my total time would will be about 10 years from the date of application. I find it hard to even type this.

Hi @vika it’s a dreadful state of affairs for many on here. We were alerted to this a couple of years or so ago by @Alan Collett (a migration agent who posts on here)  who used a Freedom of Information request to find out the size of the queue. As you say it’s caused heartache for many. The biggest problem is that in May/June 2017 there were 9000 applications made ! As there’s only 3600 visas granted per year it will take 2.5 years to just get through those two months alone. 
You can get an idea of the numbers in the queue here https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-application-numbers-updated/

Ive been waiting since June 2017 when the website gave an estimation of around 18 months!  I’ve now been waiting 4.5 years - and likely to wait at least another 4 years! 
There’s a senate enquiry going on at present into the parent visas. It’s supposed to report in March but it’s already been postponed twice! It’s obviously causing a lot of problems. People are hoping something may come of this but we do know  that Australia   did a review earlier in 2016 which shows they estimated each parent would cost the taxpayers around  .$410,000 over their remaining lifetime on Medicare and aged care etc. That’s why they don’t want parents! They’ve  been cutting the annual grants from 7155 over the last few years to only 3600 now. There’s quite a lot in older posts about this  

This explains about the queuing system for applications after end June 2018. https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-applications-queuing-system-introduced/

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Hi @vika it’s a dreadful state of affairs for many on here. We were alerted to this a couple of years or so ago by @Alan Collett (a migration agent who posts on here)  who used a Freedom of Information request to find out the size of the queue. As you say it’s caused heartache for many. The biggest problem is that in May/June 2017 there were 9000 applications made ! As there’s only 3600 visas granted per year it will take 2.5 years to just get through those two months alone. 
You can get an idea of the numbers in the queue here https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-application-numbers-updated/

Ive been waiting since June 2017 when the website gave an estimation of around 18 months!  I’ve now been waiting 4.5 years - and likely to wait at least another 4 years! 
There’s a senate enquiry going on at present into the parent visas. It’s supposed to report in March but it’s already been postponed twice! It’s obviously causing a lot of problems. People are hoping something may come of this but we do know  that Australia   did a review earlier in 2016 which shows they estimated each parent would cost the taxpayers around  .$410,000 over their remaining lifetime on Medicare and aged care etc. That’s why they don’t want parents! They’ve  been cutting the annual grants from 7155 over the last few years to only 3600 now. There’s quite a lot in older posts about this  

This explains about the queuing system for applications after end June 2018. https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-applications-queuing-system-introduced/

Thanks for your details post @LindaH27. Appreciate it. After a night's sleep, I can let this sink in... it is what it is at the end of the day.

Hoping humanity wins and the March's report has some good news. Thanks again!🤗

7 hours ago, vika said:

Hi Lady Jane,

If I may ask, any idea when you got the Queue Letter from the department and what the processing time was at that time on their website when you received the queue letter? I got a queue letter last month and I applied in Sep 2018. I wanted to know what the remaining wait time could be. Though, it cannot be precise, I thought it would give me a rough idea. Thanks.

Hello Vika

when I applied in March 2016 there was no queue letter, your acknowledgement email was your queue date. Queue letters only started to be issued from 2018, I believe. 

When we applied the wait time on immi site said 18 months to 2 years, it took 4.5 years. I only found out after joining this group the disparity in the information. 
The amount of visas issued each year reduced so the wait just got longer. 

I really hope they increase the amount of visas they issue annually  but unfortunately I can’t see that happening 

Edited by Lady Jane
  • Like 1

Remember that for offshore applicants (eg subclass 143) the queue date is only issued once the delegate is happy the visa application is complete subject to health and character - which will be dealt with when the application is eventually allocated for processing.

=>  If your visa application isn't complete you will fall back in the processing queue.

Are you happy your visa application is complete subject to medicals and police clearances?

If not - consult a visa advisor who knows what s/he's doing!

Best regards.

1 hour ago, Alan Collett said:

Remember that for offshore applicants (eg subclass 143) the queue date is only issued once the delegate is happy the visa application is complete subject to health and character - which will be dealt with when the application is eventually allocated for processing.

=>  If your visa application isn't complete you will fall back in the processing queue.

Are you happy your visa application is complete subject to medicals and police clearances?

If not - consult a visa advisor who knows what s/he's doing!

Best regards.

Hi @Alan Collett - thanks much for your response. I am handling the applications myself for my parents. I have provided all the documents necessary for the application. So, I believe the application is complete. I have nothing else to update the department except for address change - which I am going to do shortly. Hopefully, I'm all good here. Can I hook up a migration agent at this stage to look into the applications even though I have already submitted it ? If not too late ? If yes, happy to go that way.

Thanks for your inputs, appreciate it.

On 12/01/2022 at 12:59, vika said:

Hi @Alan Collett - thanks much for your response. I am handling the applications myself for my parents. I have provided all the documents necessary for the application. So, I believe the application is complete. I have nothing else to update the department except for address change - which I am going to do shortly. Hopefully, I'm all good here. Can I hook up a migration agent at this stage to look into the applications even though I have already submitted it ? If not too late ? If yes, happy to go that way.

Thanks for your inputs, appreciate it.

Hi @Alan Collett - I will connect with you directly on this one. Thanks for your inputs and help!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, Good day.

New to this forum. Hope this is the correct thread.

My parents have applied for the Contributory Parent Visa 143 in mid2017 and have been eagerly waiting to make the big move since then.

Sadly, my dad, the main applicant has passed away last year and after months of settling every other things. We plan to update the application for my mum so that my mum can reunite with me(only child) in Aus.

As we are gathering information on how to move forward with this idea, we have a few questions along the way. Hopefully some of you will be able to advixe or are happy to share your experience and will be greatly greatly appreciated.

1) Can my mum(secondary applicant) be updated/changed to be the main applicant in the same application? Is this even possible?
Spoken to a few of agents, they suggested to submit the change of circumstances paperwork and continue to wait thats all,  another agent said needed a whole new application.but I think there are more to it...should i continue with these agents or speak to more agents for advise?

2) I am the only child and the sponsor for the application have been living in Aus. Now, can I, the sponsor, leave Aus(planning a long one) to take care of mum until there is a result for this application?

Should we continue to be hopeful to reunite in Aus? 

Thank you from the bottom of my heart

19 minutes ago, bio said:

Hello all, Good day.

My parents have applied for the Contributory Parent Visa 143 in mid2017 and have been eagerly waiting to make the big move since then.

Sadly, my dad, the main applicant has passed away last year and after months of settling every other things. We plan to update the application for my mum so that my mum can reunite with me(only child) in Aus.

As we are gathering information on how to move forward with this idea, we have a few questions along the way. Hopefully some of you will be able to advixe or are happy to share your experience and will be greatly greatly appreciated.

1) Can my mum(secondary applicant) be updated/changed to be the main applicant in the same application? Is this even possible?
Spoken to a few of agents, they suggested to submit the change of circumstances paperwork and continue to wait thats all,  another agent said needed a whole new application.but I think there are more to it...should i continue with these agents or speak to more agents for advise?

2) I am the only child and the sponsor for the application have been living in Aus. Now, can I, the sponsor, leave Aus(planning a long one) to take care of mum until there is a result for this application?

Sorry to hear of your loss and the conflicting information you've had.  hopefully, one of our agents who post regularly might be able to point you in the right direction.

5 hours ago, bio said:

Hello all, Good day.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I would send the death certificate to the PVC by email, ask for your mother to be identified as the primary visa applicant, and request confirmation this has been done.

Include the file reference in the subject line of the email, and words similar to Death of main visa applicant.

Exercise caution with leaving Australia for an extended period.   Will you meet the requirement to be the assurer if you spend time outside Australia - assuming you will be the assurer (as well as the sponsor)?

When was the visa application lodged (MM/YYYY)?

If you think you might need professional registered migration agent support with all of this please feel able to send an email to me.

Best regards.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2010 at 08:12, vron said:

Great,will look forward to hearing from other parent,s wanting to get to oz...we will be able to pick your brains,hopefully to help keep us going on the journey to be with our family in oz .Were back in the u.k at the moment,mixed emotions missing so many things about u.k,but allso want to be with our family in oz,bet were not allone in our thinking ...

Ditto. Just started the Parent Visa journey last year, went for 103, which in hindsight I am not sure if I have done the right thing? Seems such a  difficult process with next to no help once you have lodged visa???

3 minutes ago, Jo Gebbie said:

Ditto. Just started the Parent Visa journey last year, went for 103, which in hindsight I am not sure if I have done the right thing? Seems such a  difficult process with next to no help once you have lodged visa???

Hello Jo.

If you'd like a free chat about visa strategy you are very welcome to contact our office in Hampshire on 023 81 66 11 55, to arrange a date and a time for me to call you.

Ditto any other parent/s who is/are perplexed about strategy, etc.

Best regards.

1 minute ago, Alan Collett said:

Hello Jo.

If you'd like a free chat about visa strategy you are very welcome to contact our office in Hampshire on 023 81 66 11 55, to arrange a date and a time for me to call you.

Ditto any other parent/s who is/are perplexed about strategy, etc.

Best regards.

YES PLEASE!!!!! I am from Romsey Hants. Pretty stressed at present as feel I have not been given best advice. I need to pop to a meeting. But will definitely about 11.00 today

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2022 at 17:51, Alan Collett said:

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I would send the death certificate to the PVC by email, ask for your mother to be identified as the primary visa applicant, and request confirmation this has been done.

Include the file reference in the subject line of the email, and words similar to Death of main visa applicant.

Exercise caution with leaving Australia for an extended period.   Will you meet the requirement to be the assurer if you spend time outside Australia - assuming you will be the assurer (as well as the sponsor)?

When was the visa application lodged (MM/YYYY)?

If you think you might need professional registered migration agent support with all of this please feel able to send an email to me.

Best regards.

Hello all.
Thank you for all the replies.
Sorry for the late reply, got Covid and all well now.

To Mr Alan Collett, thank you for your advice. I have just check with my mum and she thinks it's April 2017. All the records was kept by my dad. 

About sending the death certificate to the PVC and make a request and confirmation for my mum to be the identified as the primary applicant, do I do this with a written letter or is there a form that I must use? Do I also need #1022 form ?

About your reply to my 2nd question, we are thinking to get a friend/acquaintance as the AOS, therefore I am only the sponsor in this application. Can this idea of getting a friend/acquaintance as the AOS actually work for 143 applications? 

And back to my previous 2nd question, since I am the sponsor(only), can I leave Australia for an extended period for until my mum's application gets a result? The main reason is to take care of her(alone) while waiting for the result of her application.
I was reading the thread that 2017 applicants are looking at around 4 more years of wait....2026? Oh gosh....

Thank you in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

A questions to the knowledgeable crowd here:

My parents submitted their visa 143 (CPV) end of 2021, now they are hoping to come and visit us whilst the visa is still being processed. Do they require a special visa/bridging visa come come visit us in Australia? They are eligible for ETA (3 months stay at a time) but would like to stay longer (like 12 months on visitors visa) but are worried they will affect their 143 application. Please advice - TIA. 

And shall I mention that this CPV scheme and its punishing wait time is inhumane and insulting to hardworking, taxpaying migrants who only wish to reunite with their family members. I struggle to comprehend how badly the Australian Govt treats its citizens and permanent residents.

14 minutes ago, Simon888 said:

A questions to the knowledgeable crowd here:

My parents submitted their visa 143 (CPV) end of 2021, now they are hoping to come and visit us whilst the visa is still being processed. Do they require a special visa/bridging visa come come visit us in Australia? They are eligible for ETA (3 months stay at a time) but would like to stay longer (like 12 months on visitors visa) but are worried they will affect their 143 application. Please advice - TIA. 

And shall I mention that this CPV scheme and its punishing wait time is inhumane and insulting to hardworking, taxpaying migrants who only wish to reunite with their family members. I struggle to comprehend how badly the Australian Govt treats its citizens and permanent residents.

Hi they can apply for visitor visas and also long term temporary visas whilst waiting for 143. A 600 visa might be granted for 3 years and allow 12 months stay in 18 months so in Oz for 12 months out for 6 back again for 12. Also you can pay for a three or five year temporary visa.870  Can’t work and need private health insurance and be self supporting. However you have to leave Australia for 3 months before you can reapply after 3/5 year visa ends plus processing time. Not cheap - approx $5000 per person for 3 years and $10000 per person for 5 years. You can only have a maximum of 10 years on that so not long enough to wait onshore because with a 143 application made in 2021 you’re looking at a potential 18 year wait. There’s only 3600 granted per year and  well over 68k already in queue. 
Possibly change to 864 once they reach Australian   pension age. Could wait onshore on bridging visa with that but would restart queue date but would be onshore. Again limited Medicare. 

there’s lots of info if you Google different visas on https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Pages/Visas-and-citizenship.aspx

Also there’s a report due out next month hopefully from the senate enquiry into parent visas so there may be changes ahead!