Guest guest36187

7 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Daughter in Australia has really nice Nissan X trail  - costs her in dollars what I would have to pay in pounds!! Prices seem much cheaper over there. On another note I do hope Immi get their act together as the surge in 2016 applications seems to imply my 2017 application could take a very very long time ! - but very pleased that the 2015 applicants are starting to get through

At lest you are in the queue now.??

It is highly expected that the cost of the 143 will be increased considerably, so many more applications may follow before that. They are talking of “making “ it take 4yrs also.

• Like 1

Am I correct in thinking that the cost you eventually pay is the price quoted when original application is made? That being the case, it will trigger a landslide when news of appreciable increase breaks. 

They really need to augment the staff in Perth to deal with applications accepted. 

• Like 3

Can I ask how you all transfer money for your visits .  Have a bank account over there but trying to find a way that doesn't cost the earth. Don't want to bad mouth but had a bad experience with a currency firm. Apparently they couldn't verify my address  - even though I'd lived there for 33 years!!  The other problem is that as I wear two hearing aids I  find it very dfficult on the phone and trying to find a firm that is prepared to text me instead. 

When we are visiting we use a Halifax Clarity Card in an ATM. The rate is good and there is no fee for the transaction. If you pay it off the same day interest is avoided. It is charged on a daily basis. Works well. 

Dreading the day we have to shift it all. £ needs to perk up so we need an interim deal on Brexit to lift it. Also most banks operate Sterling accounts where funds can be lodged till/if exchange rates improve. 

• Like 1

Thanks Ian! Didn't know Australian  banks had a sterling account as well. So i f I get money from ATM with clarity card then go online and pay it off same day there's no interest ?  What about non sterling transaction exchange fee? Also I thought Clarity card was a credit card and was always told  withdrawing money on a credit card was a really bad idea !! Happy to be proved wrong!!

55 minutes ago, Ian Ireland said:

Am I correct in thinking that the cost you eventually pay is the price quoted when original application is made? That being the case, it will trigger a landslide when news of appreciable increase breaks. 

They really need to augment the staff in Perth to deal with applications accepted. 

Yes it is the cost stated when you lodge.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Can I ask how you all transfer money for your visits .  Have a bank account over there but trying to find a way that doesn't cost the earth. Don't want to bad mouth but had a bad experience with a currency firm. Apparently they couldn't verify my address  - even though I'd lived there for 33 years!!  The other problem is that as I wear two hearing aids I  find it very dfficult on the phone and trying to find a firm that is prepared to text me instead. 

Google money transfer companies. Quite a few have good reviews. You can have an online account with them and transfer money via them from your UK bank to Oz. If rate is good (not bad at the moment) you can lock down that rate for a period of time with them. 

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ian Ireland said:

Yes Ian, I believe you are right about the cost. I suspect they haven't increased the staffing in Perth because they want to have total control over numbers they let in. 

2 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Google money transfer companies. Quite a few have good reviews. You can have an online account with them and transfer money via them from your UK bank to Oz. If rate is good (not bad at the moment) you can lock down that rate for a period of time with them. 

I've always found Investec good.

Re staffing numbers in Perth, if they bump up the cost significantly that is bound to reduce numbers. The 143 is expensive as it is and hammering future potential applicants is going to make more than a few think again. 

Watch out for a landslide of epic proportions once it gets out. 

• Like 1

I set up an account with Currency Fair. I opened an account with ANZ who are their preferred bank which saves charges. Even though I was in the UK I still managed to open two accounts the only restriction was that you could only ‘deposit’ until you were in Australia and could do ID checks.

I simply send an amount of money into Currency Fair and either change the currency at the going rate or place the funds at a higher rate in anticipation. Once the exchange has taken place you then simply pay it into your ANZ account. Normally the exchange rate is 1 cent below the bank rate and they charge AU$4 for the transfer - so a good deal and very cheap.

I was fortunate a couple of years ago to transfer all of the money I would require for AOS and 2nd VAC. I opened a NAB account and was getting 2.5% interest which was a great deal more than the UK. Of course this all depends on what exchange rate you got at the time. On average most of my funds were transferred at about 1.9 to the £ so all in all a little better than today.

However, I am now in the process of looking for a house. Not sure whether to buy or rent. At the current rate I could loose well over AU$100,000 just in exchange - ouch!
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Catlady2014 said:

Coincidence or what!  Mine is a Mazda 2 Maxx.  

Ha!same model I’m looking at. Hoping to get a Genki really but not sure they are worth the extra dollars.  Let me know how you get on with it then x

Edited by Kathss56

OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)

When your application is allocated to an assessing officer, you or your authorised contact may be asked to provide more documents, including but not limited to, Assurance of Support (subclass 143 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application.

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 18 February 2015.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Brett31 said:

OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)

When your application is allocated to an assessing officer, you or your authorised contact may be asked to provide more documents, including but not limited to, Assurance of Support (subclass 143 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application.

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 18 February 2015.

Well, it is a move, albeit small.  Only 3 weeks away from our submission date now!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Ian Ireland said:

It’ll be interesting to see when it gets picked up. We are not using an agent but if ours doesn’t get picked up I’ve got one lined up! End June for us.
Keep us posted!

We are heading our to see our daughter for Christmas at the beginning of December.  Just our luck that the request for medicals, police checks etc will come just as we arrive out there!

• Like 2