Guest guest36187

29 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

$5k is a big disadvantage!

And I think you are right to consider a 600, if it’s just for a few months.

Unfortunately, I’m probably too cautious by nature, I keep thinking - if something can go wrong, it may cost a lot more in time and emotional hassle.

The one standout thing I have learned in the last couple of years, while engaging in the Australian visa system is – Don’t’ take anything for granted. Nothing is fixed in stone and what is ‘normal’ today can change very quickly.

I had originally assumed that parent visas were sedentary and would stay the same, year after year. I had no idea how fluid and precarious the whole thing is. It feels like one of those films where someone is trying to slide under a door as it closes.

When I hear stories about ‘Ten Pound Pom’ tickets, I think how fortunate they were back then. I just can’t help thinking, even with the current cost in time and money, we may also be considered ‘jammy’ by future generations.

No wonder they call it “The Lucky Country”

Not sure I agree about "Ten Pound Pom" ticket holders being lucky, when they were being offered, the trip involved a two month+ boat trip and worse than that, I assume when the Ten Pound Poms landed, they wouldn't have had the luxury of air conditioning:cool: or a car.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bry45 said:

Not sure I agree about "Ten Pound Pom" ticket holders being lucky, when they were being offered, the trip involved a two month+ boat trip and worse than that, I assume when the Ten Pound Poms landed, they wouldn't have had the luxury of air conditioning:cool: or a car.

I agree it’s important not to trivialise the hardships endured by many Ten Pound Poms.

But would you not swap places today? Roughly £500 (allowing for inflation) for an eight-week cruise and an Australian visa stamp in your passport.  Or $100k and a four-year wait for a CPV.

• Like 2

Hi all, just stumbled on this bit of info L dated 14/06/17

waiting time  for cpv 143 = 75% now 35 months.   90 % now 39 months !

( hope I have this wrong ! )

Edited by gafuk

38 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Hi all, just stumbled on this bit of info L dated 14/06/17

waiting time  for cpv 143 = 75% now 35 months.   90 % now 39 months !

( hope I have this wrong ! )

Sorry to say Gafuk, unfortunately, your absolutely right, 

We've all been banging on about it since the news broke:arghh:

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

I agree it’s important not to trivialise the hardships endured by many Ten Pound Poms.

But would you not swap places today? Roughly £500 (allowing for inflation) for an eight-week cruise and an Australian visa stamp in your passport.  Or $100k and a four-year wait for a CPV.

When you put it like that, on the other hand, had we been Ten Pound Poms, I assume we'd be worm fodder by now, so as frustrated as we all are at the queue times, at least we're in it and one day we'll all be there enjoying our new adventures. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bry45 said:

Sorry to say Gafuk, unfortunately, your absolutely right, 

We've all been banging on about it since the news broke:arghh:

Are they talking about completed applications or is that when they start assessing the application?

We applied 14th December 2014 so were literally putting our house up for sale this weekend assuming our 34 months were almost up and were looking forward to our AOS email at least. Timing critical for us as don't want to be forced out of our home until needed but some of our funds for the visa is trapped in the house .

While I am on, has anyone recently had their medical carried out, I am interested in what they do or have you do

( besides the mass of history questions I am anticipating )

Any physical test ( I am overweight but pretty fit, my wifes bmi bang on but shes just pretty not fit )

Any mental agility tests ? not too worried about that but I'll swat up on what day it is before I go in :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gafuk said:

While I am on, has anyone recently had their medical carried out, I am interested in what they do or have you do

( besides the mass of history questions I am anticipating )

Any physical test ( I am overweight but pretty fit, my wifes bmi bang on but shes just pretty not fit )

Any mental agility tests ? not too worried about that but I'll swat up on what day it is before I go in :)

Height, weight, blood pressure, urine test, blood test for HIV, chest x-ray, eye test, discussion of any conditions and current medications revealed by answers to prior questions, examine for skin cancers and signs of  drug misuse, touch toes, squat - nothing too terrible.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Catlady2014 said:

Height, weight, blood pressure, urine test, blood test for HIV, chest x-ray, eye test, discussion of any conditions and current medications revealed by answers to prior questions, examine for skin cancers and signs of  drug misuse, touch toes, squat - nothing too terrible.  

Ok thanks I will get into training from tomorrow .... ,should be ok on half of that lot but how low do you have to squat ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Are they talking about completed applications or is that when they start assessing the application?

We applied 14th December 2014 so were literally putting our house up for sale this weekend assuming our 34 months were almost up and were looking forward to our AOS email at least. Timing critical for us as don't want to be forced out of our home until needed but some of our funds for the visa is trapped in the house .

I complete on my house next Thursday.  I'm moving in with my sister temporarily as I'll be at the 33 months stage on 1st July.  Still no request for my second vac but I'm hoping it'll happen in July.   Then again, pigs might fly.   Can you move in with family if necessary, Gafuk?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

Beltin info Catlady, but I'm a tad worried about the squat bit, having just had a replacement knee. That said, we're only a year in to our wait, by the time our medicals come round, my new knee will be old

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bry45 said:

Beltin info Catlady, but I'm a tad worried about the squat bit, having just had a replacement knee. That said, we're only a year in to our wait, by the time our medicals come round, my new knee will be old

I don't think they're looking for A1 status.  Knee replacement is fairly standard stuff and I'm sure they would take that into account when asking you to do certain things.  And as you say, by the time your medical comes around, you'll be absolutely fine.  

Edited by Catlady2014
  • Like 1

As for any existing medical condition, I think what they want to know is that the condition is well controlled.  Think diabetes, thyroid disorders etc.  Most people at this stage in life have some sort of medical history.  If that's you, take along all the info you have on your medical condition, drug dosage etc. 

• Like 2

Thanks catlady for the information, a little less to worry about, its dragging on so long now just hope nothing goes wrong or falls off before our number does come out, regarding moving in with relatives, it is possible but they are 20 miles away from our workplaces and its a load of hassle if you fall out.

Your sister seems obliging does she live near Merseyside ? :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Thanks catlady for the information, a little less to worry about, its dragging on so long now just hope nothing goes wrong or falls off before our number does come out, regarding moving in with relatives, it is possible but they are 20 miles away from our workplaces and its a load of hassle if you fall out.

Your sister seems obliging does she live near Merseyside ? :)

I can imagine there might be problems moving in with relatives.  In my case, my sister and I have always been very close and we're looking forward to spending lots of time together before I depart for Aus.  And if it all gets a bit too much, she has a second house at the coast and I can decamp to there if need be.  Nowhere near Merseyside.  Haha.  

Edited by Catlady2014
  • Like 1

Catlady, Sorry to bother you but looking at your lodgement details you lodged 2 months before me, you had meds and police checks in Feb this year etc etc. I have not had any communication from our agent or Immy?.  We can't get them done without authority ?. 

Do you have agent?, if so I presume Immy contact you via them and not direct,

Just trying to work out the small difference in our dates of lodgement and the vast difference in progression?

Edited by gafuk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Catlady, Sorry to bother you but looking at your lodgement details you lodged 2 months before me, you had meds and police checks in Feb this year etc etc. I have not had any communication from our agent or Immy?.  We can't get them done without authority ?. 

Just trying to work out the small difference in our dates of lodgement and progression?

Yes, I have an agent.  I admit that I did keep badgering the agent just in case info was not being passed to me quickly enough.  You can do your Police Report off your own bat, and from memory it costs roughly £50, and it's very quick to come back.  However, bear in mind that it's only valid for one year, so if you get it done too early you will have to get another done later on.  You can't do the medical until Immi "invite" you to, at which time you'll be provided with a HAP id no. which you will need when you book the medical with a practitioner on the list provided at the time - certain practices are authorised, so you can choose the one closes to you.  Your agent should be advised by Immi, and the agent should pass the info to you.  Chase the agent - just in case.  Immi won't ask for the medical too soon, as again it's only valid for one year.  

Edited by Catlady2014
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

Yes, I have an agent.  I admit that I did keep badgering the agent just in case info was not being passed to me quickly enough.  You can do your Police Report off your own bat, and from memory it costs roughly £50, and it's very quick to come back.  However, bear in mind that it's only valid for one year, so if you get it done too early you will have to get another done later on.  You can't do the medical until Immi "invite" you to, at which time you'll be provided with a HAP id no. which you will need when you book the medical with a practitioner on the list provided at the time - certain practices are authorised, so you can choose the one closes to you.  Your agent should be advised by Immi, and the agent should pass the info to you.  Chase the agent - just in case.  Immi won't ask for the medical too soon, as again it's only valid for one year.  

I have just emailed my agent, thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gafuk said:

Just trying to work out the small difference in our dates of lodgement and the vast difference in progression?

We are at a similar point to you and have heard nothing. 

We fly tomorrow...........

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NanaJan said:

Contact your agent and ask him/her to check what's happening.  The fact that you're way behind my stage despite similar lodgement time might just mean that Immi have again started dealing differently with applications. We've seen it happen before.  Maybe they are so far behind that they are no longer contacting people for meds/Police until much later?  But your agent should be your first port of call, I do think it's important to keep in regular contact.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

Contact your agent and ask him/her to check what's happening.  The fact that you're way behind my stage despite similar lodgement time might just mean that Immi have again started dealing differently with applications. We've seen it happen before.  Maybe they are so far behind that they are no longer contacting people for meds/Police until much later?  But your agent should be your first port of call, I do think it's important to keep in regular contact.  

7 hours ago, NanaJan said:

Yes, your agent should be across what is happening with your application relative to others - and initiating a follow up if needs be.

Processing times can go somewhat awry at this time of year, with the program having to be managed to meet the required total number of visas for the year to 30 June.

Best regards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alan Collett said:

Yes, your agent should be across what is happening with your application relative to others - and initiating a follow up if needs be.

Processing times can go somewhat awry at this time of year, with the program having to be managed to meet the required total number of visas for the year to 30 June.

Best regards.

Totally agree.  My agent tells me they have quite a few others at the exact same stage as me, still waiting to be asked for the second vac.  So at least I know it's not just my application that's stuck.  But I still send regular emails to the agent to check.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

All I can see is just the cost of $5k for 3yrs by the looks of it! But weigh that up against renewing the 600 visa  and popping in and out of Oz etc.,

Also private health insurance may be more expensive too on this new visa. 

I am hoping to go on a 600 if need be, but time it so that I don't need longer than the 12mths expiry date !

I also wonder what the processing time will be for these new visas, and whether there will be all the additional rigmarole of form 80, referees, medical and police clearance etc etc. It's pretty much an unknown for us all at the moment so hard to incorporate this option into our planning. 

• Like 2