Guest guest36187

Hi Sue

it depends on the council. Mornington Shire Council offer some waste vouchers with your rates demand. One voucher equals half a cubic metre of waste. You book a collection and leave it on the nature strip (as you say if anyone wants it they help themselves). You can also pay for a fortnightly collection of green waste from a wheelie bin.

Julie

Hi Sue

it depends on the council. Mornington Shire Council offer some waste vouchers with your rates demand. One voucher equals half a cubic metre of waste. You book a collection and leave it on the nature strip (as you say if anyone wants it they help themselves). You can also pay for a fortnightly collection of green waste from a wheelie bin.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Thank you so much for posting, also the tip about Christmas decorations - I'll be going through mine with a magnifying glass I think! Having had our visa since last April, we are now in a position to move, for the very sad reason that my mum died last month. Its been a time of very mixed feelings as you can imagine, but we are putting the house on the market and hoping it won't take too long to sell. I will be reading the posts on here even more carefully from now on ... Newyorksgrannie our charity shops are doing well out of us too - we are decluttering like mad.

Hi Julie,

Thank you so much for posting, also the tip about Christmas decorations - I'll be going through mine with a magnifying glass I think! Having had our visa since last April, we are now in a position to move, for the very sad reason that my mum died last month. Its been a time of very mixed feelings as you can imagine, but we are putting the house on the market and hoping it won't take too long to sell. I will be reading the posts on here even more carefully from now on ... Newyorksgrannie our charity shops are doing well out of us too - we are decluttering like mad.

Hi Fisher

So sorry to hear the news about your mum. It's a very sad time but also new beginnings. I wish you well with your house sale and hope it goes through quickly,

Julie

Hi Julie,

Hi Fisher so sorry to hear your sad news at the loss of your Mother I am sure she would want you to be happy so hope the house sells quickly and you are soon on your way to start your new life, exciting!

We waited until my Father had passed away before applying but at the time were advised 12-18 months now I fear it might be nearer 3 years so we should have quietly applied earlier like you, hindsight! If the house sells we may go on 12 month visa when our dates are nearer. Good luck with your clearing out and all your travel plans.

Sue

HI

Thought I would let you know that some processes move very quickly. Our container left the Uk on 5th December 2016 and arrived Melbourne 21 January. It has now cleared customs and Dept of Agriculture checks (got stung for 71AUD for destruction of 4 Xmas decorations that they didn't like). Got the call yesterday asking to deliver goods on 9th February........oops don't get our house until 1st March! I've got so used to waiting for everything relating to our move to Australia that this has taken us by surprise. Oh well more storage to pay for.

Things are slowly coming together for us, we have a building plot and a design company (another waiting list!). A unit to move into in March, bought a car, two kayaks plus trailer, Medicare cards, Aussie driving lics , just got to sort out HMRC and the ATO....oh that bit might take a while.....

the climate on the Mornington Peninsular is lovely except when we get the odd day of 38C, it's great to be able to walk to the beach, we have seen loads of dolphins, pelicans, sting rays, loads of wonderful birds. I'm still having trouble adjusting to seeing Camelias out in October! We are now immersed in a world of self build, finding out that the Aussies do a lot of things very differently, some better, some not so. There seems to be legislation for just about everything you want to do, a permit for this and a permit for that.......

Just to add to the wildlife, we had a koala in one of the trees on our building plot, how great is that?

Good luck to all of you still waiting, I hope you get some movement on the dates soon.

Julie

Aw Julie, it sounds wonderful, especially the koala. I am really getting frustrated now and just hope the dates speed up or this could be a very long year:sad:

I blitzed my Christmas decorations too and have got rid of anything that had pines cones or suchlike so hopefully the rest are OK. I have a large Santa but all the greenery in his sack is fake. Just hope they can tell the difference!!

See you on the Peninsula at some stage......

Jan

Hi Julie,

So sorry to hear your sad news Fisher. Do hope that everything now goes smoothly and you are able to move quickly. Zee

Hi Fisher so sorry to hear your sad news at the loss of your Mother I am sure she would want you to be happy so hope the house sells quickly and you are soon on your way to start your new life, exciting!

We waited until my Father had passed away before applying but at the time were advised 12-18 months now I fear it might be nearer 3 years so we should have quietly applied earlier like you, hindsight! If the house sells we may go on 12 month visa when our dates are nearer. Good luck with your clearing out and all your travel plans.

Sue

Its difficult and we've felt very torn ... it was obvious some time ago that mum wasn't going to be with us much longer (she was ninety five) and we decided to apply for the visa, given that it had a five year life, mainly because we wanted to get the medical over with! Hope you don't have to wait too long for your visa to come through. Have you opened an Australian bank account? If not I can seriously recommend it - we have found it really helpful for holidays and more recently when we had to pay for the visa.

Ive been casting a jaundiced eye over our Christmas decorations this afternoon, having only just packed them all away with a view to taking them with us. I'm going to throw at least half away now :wink:

Edited by Fisher1

Its difficult and we've felt very torn ... it was obvious some time ago that mum wasn't going to be with us much longer (she was ninety five) and we decided to apply for the visa, given that it had a five year life, mainly because we wanted to get the medical over with! Hope you don't have to wait too long for your visa to come through. Have you opened an Australian bank account? If not I can seriously recommend it - we have found it really helpful for holidays and more recently when we had to pay for the visa.

Ive been casting a jaundiced eye over our Christmas decorations this afternoon, having only just packed them all away with a view to taking them with us. I'm going to throw at least half away now :wink:

Re Visa I think you did the right thing and I wish I had known about this site before we applied, yes we have got a bank account in Australia. The Christmas decorations are being thinned out here we didn't use them this year as we went to Australia for Christmas for the first time as all our family are there now, so I have forgotten about some things.

Re Visa I think you did the right thing and I wish I had known about this site before we applied, yes we have got a bank account in Australia. The Christmas decorations are being thinned out here we didn't use them this year as we went to Australia for Christmas for the first time as all our family are there now, so I have forgotten about some things.

Have spent the afternoon sorting Christmas decorations that I'd intended to keep for sentimental reasons. I am now looking at ( don't laugh) the coal scuttle. It's s special coal scuttle (I did say don't laugh) as it's an antique and sat by May parents' hearth all the years I was growing up. Its been next to my wood burner for the last three years ... But is it Australian customs proof? I've never thought about it before, but I'm wondering if I should give it to my sister :wink: