Guest guest36187

Because we have spent more than a year during the ladt ten years in OZ we have to have Australian police checks aswell as UK police checks...anyone else had ths ? Any idea how long they take ??? .

Hi

We had Australian Federal Police checks done. Only took about 2 weeks but there was a problem - my wife was (wrongly) declared to have a criminal record!! This took a while to sort out.

Charlie

Because we have spent more than a year during the ladt ten years in OZ we have to have Australian police checks aswell as UK police checks...anyone else had ths ? Any idea how long they take ???

Yes – we had to, too. Very quick – literally a few days from when our (Oz) cheques for the fee were cashed.

Mike

Guest diner

Hi All, it's me again...still trying to convince the parents-in-law they can move to Aus! Anyway, what I was wanting to know is, are any of you here in the 103 queue? if so, could you give me a real answer as to how long the queue really is? I have read a lot of speculative times, but don't have a time period from someone in the queue so would love to hear from those 103'ers.

Thanks!

Some moves in the right direction for the dollar recently, lower than expected jobs growth has pushed it down today. Later it may react to news from the ECB. We've been here before but one day we'll be able to point to a point in the graph and say "that's where it turned around".

:daydreaming:

Hi All, it's me again...still trying to convince the parents-in-law they can move to Aus! Anyway, what I was wanting to know is, are any of you here in the 103 queue? if so, could you give me a real answer as to how long the queue really is? I have read a lot of speculative times, but don't have a time period from someone in the queue so would love to hear from those 103'ers.

Thanks!

There's a queue calculator for 103s somewhere on the immi site. Best to use that as this thread tends to attract 173/143 applicants.

Guest diner
There's a queue calculator for 103s somewhere on the immi site. Best to use that as this thread tends to attract 173/143 applicants.

Thanks! Just gone onto the immi site....the 103 has more than 20 000 applications waiting at moment which would equal about 20 years in the queue:wideeyed:

Well, now it is off for one final try at convincing the rents to move! Thanks for your help.

Thanks!

Hi

I spoke to immi office in Oz a few days ago and was told time frame for 103 is 20 years :swoon:

Phoebe

The length of time for the 103 queue is a moveable feast. Yes, taking the 2010/11 quota it is 20 years plus, however the quota for 2011/12 has been doubled to 2000. Also there is currently a review underway into cutting the number of all visa categories by half and parent visas are up for review, how this will pan out is anyone's guess. I suspect many have gone this route, myself included, as it gives one the opportunity to wait for an improved economic climate in relation to exchange rates (we hope) then one can convert to a 143.

Some moves in the right direction for the dollar recently, lower than expected jobs growth has pushed it down today. Later it may react to news from the ECB. We've been here before but one day we'll be able to point to a point in the graph and say "that's where it turned around".

:daydreaming:

And as expected, a few hours later, back up it goes. DOWN by 1.5c then UP by 1.5c.

Someone's making money out there. Soldier on fellow CPVers.

Best wishes

Steve

Hi Barbara

Now there's a girl that knows how to get the bit between her teeth and go for it. Just had a message someone has posted on "the dark side". :realmad:

Just got our police certificates today. Will be in the post tomorrow with forms 80 etc. On the final slope now !! Just wish we had a money tree in the garden.

Thanks for that, maybe it's about the same rate as here or a little more, as you say it all helps. Ann

I think Pemajasa was saying that the minimim wage in Australia is around $15 which is correct. It's $14.79 from 1 July according to my calcs.

This compares to a minimum wage in the UK of £6.08 from 1 Oct.

Therefore the rate in Australia is 57% higher than here, so on the surface considerably more. But of course this is simply another peculiarity of the current exchange rate.

Cheers

Steve

I think Pemajasa was saying that the minimim wage in Australia is around $15 which is correct. It's $14.79 from 1 July according to my calcs.

This compares to a minimum wage in the UK of £6.08 from 1 Oct.

Therefore the rate in Australia is 57% higher than here, so on the surface considerably more. But of course this is simply another peculiarity of the current exchange rate.

Cheers

Steve

I will have to hope for full time work or more as by the time rent is paid, food, bills, it's not going to leave a lot for much else. But having said that the care job i have here with the council is in difficulty and we are about to lose our weekend enhancements, so i think i will fair better in OZ in the long run than i will here.

Cheers Ann

Thanks!

Hi we had been in the 103 queue for the last 6 years ....at the beginning of this yea i wrote to the immigration minister...he rplied telling me that at the current rate it would be 10 more years before we could expect to get a visa...we have now changed our visa and going for a 173 we went to the top of the queue and had a case officer straight away...we expect to get our visa within the next 2 months..

Hope this helps

Val

Just reading back through some older posts and questions re renting...buying etc ..how will you manage....

Last October we purchased a 2 bed cabin on a caravan park at Rosebud on the Mornington penisular ( Melbourne ) its got 2 beds shower room lounge kitchen diner...huge deck..on a lovely site with pool... We paid $60,000 we then pay about $6000 per year ground rent and then electric and gas ...any extra children or adults are $100 per year we have a dongle for internet and mobiles...we erected a shed...bought a car and bikes...we lived there for almost 7 months and will be returning in august...my daughter and family have been visiting while we are back in the uk...we have been looking at renting but its going to cost at least $300-350 per month and the added trapping of landline...internet etc...living in the cabin meant every morning sweeping through...washing up etc ..and then off on our bikes or doing voluntary jobs etc...its not meant to be a permenant site and w are hoping if we keep our heads down we can get away with staying there another year or two...

I hope this helps ..its worth looking at and in the end you have something to sell..instead of paying out on rent...while you look for omething more permenant...

Before i left in april i planted daffs...hoping they will be flowering or my return...Did i mention i also have an orange and an olive tree...home sweet home

Val

Just reading back through some older posts and questions re renting...buying etc ..how will you manage....

Last October we purchased a 2 bed cabin on a caravan park at Rosebud on the Mornington penisular ( Melbourne ) its got 2 beds shower room lounge kitchen diner...huge deck..on a lovely site with pool... We paid $60,000 we then pay about $6000 per year ground rent and then electric and gas ...any extra children or adults are $100 per year we have a dongle for internet and mobiles...we erected a shed...bought a car and bikes...we lived there for almost 7 months and will be returning in august...my daughter and family have been visiting while we are back in the uk...we have been looking at renting but its going to cost at least $300-350 per month and the added trapping of landline...internet etc...living in the cabin meant every morning sweeping through...washing up etc ..and then off on our bikes or doing voluntary jobs etc...its not meant to be a permenant site and w are hoping if we keep our heads down we can get away with staying there another year or two...

I hope this helps ..its worth looking at and in the end you have something to sell..instead of paying out on rent...while you look for omething more permenant...

Before i left in april i planted daffs...hoping they will be flowering or my return...Did i mention i also have an orange and an olive tree...home sweet home

Val

Hi Val. We have given some serious thought to buying a cabin as there appears to be quite a few parks around the Brisbane area and it's an affordable option. From what you say it will definitely be worth looking into. Thanks for that! Angie

Our receipts for the second VAC (paid in London) are on their way to Oz and should be there soon - then we shall have our Visa:chatterbox: Yet another Bank Holiday to slow things down (Queen's Birthday) but we are sooooo nearly there. The expected 2 year wait looks like it will be just over 13 months for us so hang in there all of you waiting patiently - it may come round quicker than you think!

Another viewing on the house this morning so got the coffee pot on and some freshly cooked biscuits on a plate.

Val

Did you not mean 300-350 per week??

Hi everyone, finding all this info very helpful!

My hubby and I are in the process of applying for perm residence and the thought of my parents not coming over is heartbreaking! Luckily they have the funds to afford the CPV but my questions are as follows:

1/ Am I right in thinking they cannot even apply until after we have been there two years?

2/ If this is the case any suggesteions for visas they could come out on before which would still allow them to work (dad 57, mum 55yrs) and allow them to apply on shore for the CPV?

3/ After reading a few comments on here it sounds quicker to apply on shore for a CPV so this option obviously sounds more appealing, Im just wondering what visa they can have there allowing you to apply for a CPV at the same time?

4/ Also regarding a temp or perm CPV, with a temp could they apply without us having to be there 2 years? and how long does the process take?

Any info would be very much appreciated, Kate :-)

I think I am right in saying that you can't apply for an onshore CPV unless you are over 65. For a CPV you have to provide evidence that the balance of your family is settled and the 2 year mark is a guideline. People have certainly applied successfully when their children have been there for less...They must be permanent residents as well, of course.

You can get 6 month or even 12 month tourist visas for the "wait" time though of course they don't carry the right to work etc

Others on this forum will be able to give you more precise advice I'm sure

I think I am right in saying that you can't apply for an onshore CPV unless you are over 65. For a CPV you have to provide evidence that the balance of your family is settled and the 2 year mark is a guideline. People have certainly applied successfully when their children have been there for less...They must be permanent residents as well, of course.

You can get 6 month or even 12 month tourist visas for the "wait" time though of course they don't carry the right to work etc

Others on this forum will be able to give you more precise advice I'm sure

Oh ok thats interesting, I thought it was set in stone you had to be a perm resident for 2 years before being able to apply. Thank you for the info!

I applied straight after my son got permanent residency. However he had been in the country at that stage for 7 years on a business visa and had an Aussie wife, 2 kids and a house so I was pretty sure they'd consider him "settled"!I think they just want to make sure, or as sure as anyone can be, that when the parents get the CPV, the kids are still in Australia