Guest guest36187

Hi all

Just a quick update on the process so far, in the hope it might help others following us. I filled in the police cert. application online yesterday and - despite checking everything about ten times, I realised to my horror that I had uploaded the same proof of address twice, instead of uploading two different proofs of address. I rang the number on the police cert website and found them extremely helpful. They located my E-application in seconds, sent me an email so that I could reply with the second proof of address as an attachment. I then got an email confirming that they had attached the second proof of address to the main application. So if the worst happens and you discover a mistake after you've posted - its not the end of the world!

Medicals today, in Manchester. Very nice people. Good directions, found the place easily. The doctor took a general history from both of us. Urine tests. Checked reflexes (?) and listened to chest. Checked blood pressure. Then we each had a chest xray and blood test. We were there about an hour and a half.

We were a bit misled by the request to bring details of significant medical conditions during the past five years, and didn't take a report that the doc. considered necessary. So if I was doing it again, I'd take ANY medical reports from the last five years just to be on the safe side. Particularly note any consultants names.

Hope the above might be of help to someone.

Hi Kim,

Around how long did they take to send you the 'Details amended' email? Now its been 1 month but no response to my parents change of address.

Thanks,

Judy.

Hi Bear2015,

My Dad emailed them and he had a personal response within a couple of days. Perhaps you should resend your email?

I think that, unless you are some kind of ageing desperado, it's the medicals that are the big scary factor. We both have a couple of medical issues - nothing wildly dramatic - but there just doesn't seem any way to predict what might get you turned down. They say there's a sort of sliding scale of potential expense to the Ozzie govt, and that if you have a condition likely to cost them more than 'x' thousand dollars, then you are out. But trying to guess what their cost predictions are based on .... It's back to the crossed fingers. I have heard on here that high blood pressure isn't an issue as long as it's under control but for the rest ... ????

By the way, if you're getting ready for the big email, take a look at the police certificate (UK) website. You can apply for your police cert online but you have to fill in a lengthy form and the site doesn't save your work if you log off, so you have to fill it in all in one go. You also need a passport photo, and someone to endorse your application ... Doctor, dentist etcetera long list of acceptable endorsers on the site. PLUS a scanned copy of your passport. this is all very time consuming .. And then they take EIGHT DAYS to send the certificate by post - they won't email it. The cost is £45 for a normal delivery but if you want your cert in two days it rises to £80 !

So - things I wish someone had told me- it might be s good idea to get cracking on the police cert now. If you haven't already. 

Thanks. It shouldn't be a problem but just another thing to worry about.

I think that, unless you are some kind of ageing desperado, it's the medicals that are the big scary factor. We both have a couple of medical issues - nothing wildly dramatic - but there just doesn't seem any way to predict what might get you turned down. They say there's a sort of sliding scale of potential expense to the Ozzie govt, and that if you have a condition likely to cost them more than 'x' thousand dollars, then you are out. But trying to guess what their cost predictions are based on .... It's back to the crossed fingers. I have heard on here that high blood pressure isn't an issue as long as it's under control but for the rest ... ????

By the way, if you're getting ready for the big email, take a look at the police certificate (UK) website. You can apply for your police cert online but you have to fill in a lengthy form and the site doesn't save your work if you log off, so you have to fill it in all in one go. You also need a passport photo, and someone to endorse your application ... Doctor, dentist etcetera long list of acceptable endorsers on the site. PLUS a scanned copy of your passport. this is all very time consuming .. And then they take EIGHT DAYS to send the certificate by post - they won't email it. The cost is £45 for a normal delivery but if you want your cert in two days it rises to £80 !

So - things I wish someone had told me- it might be s good idea to get cracking on the police cert now. If you haven't already. 

thanks for the advice on the police check. Can you tell me what the number of the form is so I can look it up on line?

Does anyone know what I will have to do for a police check for the period when I lived in France? I only returned from there in 2014.

I was so grateful for advice picked up from this forum to start the Form 80 well in advance. I have already printed that out and it is horrendous, particularly as in my working life I did lots of jobs (and jobs whilst in training plus voluntary work and periods of no work ) which all have to be included! As several of these were also in other countries this makes it really complicated - actual dates and locations will definitely end up being guess work!!!! Honestly, they do make getting a visa really hard, but at least I now have the time to slowly work through it without being under pressure.

many thanks for for all this Forum advice and support!

thanks for the advice on the police check. Can you tell me what the number of the form is so I can look it up on line?

Does anyone know what I will have to do for a police check for the period when I lived in France? I only returned from there in 2014.

I was so grateful for advice picked up from this forum to start the Form 80 well in advance. I have already printed that out and it is horrendous, particularly as in my working life I did lots of jobs (and jobs whilst in training plus voluntary work and periods of no work ) which all have to be included! As several of these were also in other countries this makes it really complicated - actual dates and locations will definitely end up being guess work!!!! Honestly, they do make getting a visa really hard, but at least I now have the time to slowly work through it without being under pressure.

many thanks for for all this Forum advice and support!

Hi AMP

Yes, you do have to do a police check for France as well. We came back to UK from Belgium in 2009 and though Immi initially said they only wanted a check for UK (even though they had already stated there had to be police checks for everywhere we had lived during the last ten years) they subsequently contacted us and asked for Belgium too.

To get the UK check, google "police check for visa" and you should get a link to the ACRO web site (no idea what it stands for but nothing to do with building!) Then scroll down the page and you'll see a form that you can either print out or use to apply online. There's also a page listing what you need before you start.

I wasn't sure what to do about the Belgian one, but I googled "Belgium" and "Certificat de bon Vivant" which is what a police cert used to be called in Belgium and got a link to the Belgian justice ministry - took it from there and followed their instructions. Hoping to hear further from them soon!

Good luck with it all. I'd get on to the French one first if I were you because its further away and you (presumably) don't know the procedure.

One last thought - before going the google route, do you have the phone number of the Mairie for your last address in France? It might be worth phoning them and asking for advice if your French is up to it - We did actually get a police cert before we left Belgium, just in case we needed one at any time, but it was out of date by the time this application went in. Typical!

Hi all

Major heads up about medicals.

As I said in my earlier post, we were asked for further information about a health matter that we hadn't thought we would need.

So we emailed a copy of the report back to the medical centre last night.

Now it seems that that report may not be enough, and the doctor at the medical centre has warned us that immi may want a pathology report which we have never had.

Having contacted the hospital and our GP, we have found out that to get hold of pathology reports from a past investigation, you need to apply on a special form, attach the usual depressing parade of utility bills to prove your address AND pay a fee of up to fifty pounds. The process of getting your report then takes UP TO FORTY DAYS.

So be aware - check your medical history and if there's anything that might bear closer scrutiny, consider applying for the records ahead of time. This won't apply to most people I know, but if there is a blip anywhere, look carefully at it.

On the upside the doc. at the medical centre believes we will be okay if we have to exceed the 28 day limit because they will have sent an initial report - but I could do without the stress - I've practically got steam coming out of my ears. All this and were supposed to be off to Australia for a holiday on March 6th ....

AAAAAAARGHH!!!!

Many thanks Fisher1 for your advice on the police checks, it was really helpful. Just dread to think how long it will take the French authorities to respond - they don't exactly have a reputation for doing thing quickly!! I can't ask for the certificate too much in advance though as otherwise it will be out of date. Do you have any idea of how long it will be valid for, as far as the Oz authorities are concerned?

Guest geordie joe
Hi all

As I said in my earlier post, we were asked for further information about a health matter that we hadn't thought we would need.

Now it seems that that report may not be enough, and the doctor at the medical centre has warned us that immi may want a pathology report which we have never had.

Having contacted the hospital and our GP, we have found out that to get hold of pathology reports from a past investigation, you need to apply on a special form, attach the usual depressing parade of utility bills to prove your address AND pay a fee of up to fifty pounds. The process of getting your report then takes UP TO FORTY DAYS.

So be aware - check your medical history and if there's anything that might bear closer scrutiny, consider applying for the records ahead of time. This won't apply to most people I know, but if there is a blip anywhere, look carefully at it.

On the upside the doc. at the medical centre believes we will be okay if we have to exceed the 28 day limit because they will have sent an initial report - but I could do without the stress - I've practically got steam coming out of my ears. All this and were supposed to be off to Australia for a holiday on March 6th ....

AAAAAAARGHH!!!!

That's horrendous Fisher, all adding to the stress which as you say you can do without. There will be plenty of us with some form of medical history so thanks for the heads up, another reason why it would be useful to have the medical completed well in advance and what is and what isn't required, but quite a few of us are stuck with no HAP numbers so nothing we can do about this. The must/should do list is growing!!!

Joe

Many thanks Fisher1 for your advice on the police checks, it was really helpful. Just dread to think how long it will take the French authorities to respond - they don't exactly have a reputation for doing thing quickly!! I can't ask for the certificate too much in advance though as otherwise it will be out of date. Do you have any idea of how long it will be valid for, as far as the Oz authorities are concerned?

Sorry AMP no I don't know - I think the Belgian one was valid for a couple of years but we've been back six and a half years now so it was no use to us. Having said that, I thought the Belgian authorities would be a right pain to deal with but in fact they have (so far) been very helpful and prompt in replying to my emails.

Perhaps you could enquire about police certs from the French authorities - I have got the impression as we go through this process that these requests are much more common than I had thought .. nobody in authority seems to find it in the least surprising when you rock up asking for police checks and there seems to be a well trodden path - well in UK and Belgium anyway.

Hi all

AAAAAAARGHH!!!!

oooh, yes a source of additional stress. Sending positive, calming vibes and big hugs your way. Just treat the additional delay as a minor blip.

On a much more positive note, I downloaded the UK police check and also found the one which needs to be done for France. It is an "extrait de casier judiciare". Both the UK and the French ones seem strangely straightforward and can be completed on line. We alway used to think France was so complicated but Australia has now taken the lead!!

Hi fisher1,Gosh,more stress for you,stay positive,if only they would be more direct about what they want from us we can get it all done before going for medicals, ruby

Thanks for the encouragement ruby. This is what I've found so frustrating - I'm quite an organised person and never leave things to the last minute so would have thought I'd be okay with this sort of application, but it seems that just when you think you've got it all boxed off, something jumps up and bites you on the nose. I have always been concerned that we might not pass our medicals because my husband has a couple of blippy things that might or might not be on the 'bad' list - but I never expected to have so many unnecessary obstacles put in the way en route.

I wouldn't go through this again for a gold clock. I must say though, the staff at the medical centre in Manchester have been absolutely fantastic and so nice.

Sorry AMP no I don't know - I think the Belgian one was valid for a couple of years but we've been back six and a half years now so it was no use to us. Having said that, I thought the Belgian authorities would be a right pain to deal with but in fact they have (so far) been very helpful and prompt in replying to my emails.

Perhaps you could enquire about police certs from the French authorities - I have got the impression as we go through this process that these requests are much more common than I had thought .. nobody in authority seems to find it in the least surprising when you rock up asking for police checks and there seems to be a well trodden path - well in UK and Belgium anyway.

All police checks are valid for 12 months for Australian immigration - thats their rule, after 12 months its considered expired.

In the UK every police force has a team of people doing police checks for various reasons, not just migration - tere are checks for employment, fostering and adoption, voluntary work, taxi licences, care homes, some civil court appearances - there's nothing unusual about a police check request, the only question is What is it for, so they make sure you get the right one.

All police checks are valid for 12 months for Australian immigration - thats their rule, after 12 months its considered expired.

In the UK every police force has a team of people doing police checks for various reasons, not just migration - tere are checks for employment, fostering and adoption, voluntary work, taxi licences, care homes, some civil court appearances - there's nothing unusual about a police check request, the only question is What is it for, so they make sure you get the right one.

Thanks for the answer Nemesis.

You need Oz police checks if you have spent more than 365 days there in the last 10 years. At first CO asked me for one but I had spent 333 days there so was OK.

Regarding 365 days over 10 years, can you clarify if this is consecutive days or cumulative over a 10 year period. We have bee visiting our daughter over the last ten years for anywhere between 42 and 90 days. So max days spent is 90 consecutive but cumulative , including the coming year, will be over 440!

Thanks Geoff and Gill

IMMI are currently assessing applications lodged up to 24th March!! Only moved 4 days this week humph!! but then it did come with the current warning about just how busy March 2014 was, double humph!

hey @maisiedaisy

That update was allready done by immi. Last friday just after thursday update 20 march they did again updated on friday upto 24 march.

there is no date of change this week till now

hope they will update tomorrow

i wish you and linda get CO assigned soon. :cute: ccording to this forum Dolphin1962 is on top of the list with 1st april 2014 lodgement date and then your turn on 2nd number with 9th april. And then its me :wink:on 3rd. Number with 15th april lodegement date

harvi

hey @maisiedaisy

That update was allready done by immi. Last friday just after thursday update 20 march they did again updated on friday upto 24 march.

there is no date of change this week till now

hope they will update tomorrow

i wish you and linda get CO assigned soon. :cute: ccording to this forum Dolphin1962 is on top of the list with 1st april 2014 lodgement date and then your turn on 2nd number with 9th april. And then its me :wink:on 3rd. Number with 15th april lodegement date

harvi

Thanx harvi, that's given me some hope for a better date it's started to feel like the carrot being dangled in front of the donkey - you can see it but you just cant grab it

Maisie