Guest guest36187

Hi all.

I am asking for info again and hope you wont mind me suddenly being so grabby when I haven't been on much for ages ... For a long time we have been torn between joining our daughter in Australia and staying here to look after my elderly mum. We had a gruesome year with mum last year and the whole Australia question seemed to be pretty academic for a while, hence my silence. Now my mum is settled in a wonderful care home not far from us ..... and our daughter has just had her first baby. She is an older mother and to be honest we had given up on grandchildren as she is our only one.

We put our names on the 103 list in 2013 and were prepared to wait it out, neatly postponing the decision about leaving my mother. The arrival of our grandson has brought the migration question up again, and we are also increasingly aware that, the longer we wait, the more likely one of us is to fail the medical due to some unforeseen health nasty. We're now attempting to get all the paperwork for a 143 application together before the next price hike in July. I have a sister who is prepared (from two hours away) to take over my mum's welfare and visits.

My questions are as follows:

I can only find the cost of the first vac on the au gov website. Can anyone tell me the current cost of the second vac?

I have asked this before, but am I right in thinking they count the time already on the 103 list if you swap? Its important because we've been on the 103 list for nearly two years so we need to be aware that things could move very quickly.

I know we get five years from the date the PR visa is issued to move over lock stock and barrel but I'm not clear about how often and for how long I could visit the UK after moving without losing my PR rights. I was thinking that if we go and mum is still alive (she's ninety five now) I could come back once a year for three months or so.

Finally, I remember paying the 103 application fees by transferring money to my daughter who then sent an Australian bank draft. Is this still the best way?

Thank you so much for all advice / information. I feel so torn and am desperately trying to have my cake (stay with mum) and eat it (got to Oz). I've a feeling I may end up with indigestion :-)

PS We have considered the option of going for so many months a year and remaining resident here, but as we get older those flights are going to get worse. I don't want to be trapped on the wrong side of the world when I'm too old to travel.

Just to add, your 143 visa allows you to come and go as you please for five years from visa grant. You are allowed to spend as long as you wish in the UK. However, you need to be aware of what happens after the five years. If after the five years you wish to leave Australia, or are out of Australia at the time and have not become a citizen with an Australian passport you will need to apply for a Resident Return visa to get back into Australia. In order to get this you need to show considerable ties to Australia.

Also, in order to become a citizen, which will allow you to get an Australian passport, so you can come and go, you need to spend a total of 4 years in Australia, and during the year before you apply you must not have been out of the country for more than 90 days.

Basically if you spend several months out of the Australia each year, this will delay the time when you will be eligible to apply for citizenship. If you have not become a citizen by five years after visa grant, you will need to apply for a Resident Return visa in order to return to Australia if you leave. Hope this helps.

Guest Petina
Take a look at today's exchange rate - wow!

means a big price reduction in the 2nd vac fees for us all, more dollars for our pensions and more house for €'s.

TEST email I still says 29 AUG for 143’s this morning! Ugh!

i promised myself I wouldn't,t look at the TESt email until we got back from our daughters wedding early July. I'm like a moth to a flame!

agent instructed on house sale it hits the market when we get back, that should take my mind off things!

Julie

Great news isn't it! As you say, reduces the 2nd VAC. We have already sent it to our son and got a very good rate. Might consider sending some more!

It is very difficult not to look - I think we were looking everyday, several times a day. Such a relief when they finally arrived at our date!

Have reduced the price of the house and have had a couple of viewings since, so looking a bit more positive.

Take care

Petina

Guest Petina
Fingers crossed you are right Joe but we are getting ourselves prepared for a very long wait .

We are going to start the dreaded form 80 in the next few days .

Our son who lives in Canberra is getting married in Nov 2016 .... Going by people's timelines we wouldn't have our visa by then so looks like it will probably be a just a visit

Lisa

Form 80 is not that bad really. Plenty of coffee and do it in rough first! :)

Petina

Just to say thanks to Geordie Joe and Bridgeman, thanks for the information, I really appreciate you taking the time to post a reply. I've downloaded the forms an am filling them in tomorrow but unsure if/when we will go ahead. The exchange rate is certainly encouraging :-)

Thanks again.

Hi all

One last thing I'm still not clear about. I get that you cant go over on a PR visa and then keep wandering off for months on end, but can someone reassure me that if we waited and moved over to oz a year or two after the visa was granted, I would have no problem going off to the UK for a month or so each year to see my mum ... or would this still require a returning residents visa? Thanks

Hi all

One last thing I'm still not clear about. I get that you cant go over on a PR visa and then keep wandering off for months on end, but can someone reassure me that if we waited and moved over to oz a year or two after the visa was granted, I would have no problem going off to the UK for a month or so each year to see my mum ... or would this still require a returning residents visa? Thanks

Yes, you can come and go as you please for 5 years after the grant. So if you got your visa then waited a couple of years, then moved over to Oz, you would still be able to pop back and forth for another 3 years. Then you would have to get a Resident Return visa. We've had ours since 2012 and we're still here. There are conditions attached to the RRV but if you can prove you have a compelling reason to be allowed back in then, as I understand it, you should be alright.

Hope this helps, Val

HI to all aged parents, help needed for a senior grandma to apply for visa to live in OZ. I have 2 Daughters who are Australian citizens and 4 grandchildren also. I have visited Australia many time in the last 6 years and would now like to live there as i have no family in U.K., save a son who i dont see. I am financially OK and in good health, still work part time and do voluntary work.Thank you Margaret

Guest Petina
Hi we're parents just sorting out forms with Go Matilda and hopefully submitting soon! Hoping the wait won't seem a lifetime!

Excellent choice! All the best

Petina

Guest geordie joe
Have just been asked to submit 2nd VAC! whoooohooo!

Getting closer.......

Petina

Brilliant news, almost time to leave the waiting room. Keep checking those emails.

Joe

Guest Petina
Great news - I'm very pleased for you!

Thanks Steve.

Almost there! Would just like to say thanks to everyone for all the support! It has been a long road but it is good to know that there are others out there going through the same. Many many thanks.

Petina

Thanks Steve.

Almost there! Would just like to say thanks to everyone for all the support! It has been a long road but it is good to know that there are others out there going through the same. Many many thanks.

Petina

I'm sure everyone will agree that you're most welcome and that we all feel the same about the support we try and give each other.

Once your visa is granted we'd all like to see updates on your progress in settling in Australia.

All the best

Steve

Guest Petina
I'm sure everyone will agree that you're most welcome and that we all feel the same about the support we try and give each other.

Once your visa is granted we'd all like to see updates on your progress in settling in Australia.

All the best

Steve

Absolutely! You haven't got rid of me just yet!! :)

Petina

Like Petina I've been asked for my final payment today!

Just want you all to know there is light at the end of the tunnel and all those months of waiting will come to an end.

Good luck everyone!

Edited by Di dee

Guest Petina
Like Petina I've been asked for my final payment today!

Just want you all to know there is light at the end of the tunnel and all those months of waiting will come to an end.

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations!

Guest Petina
Fantastic news Petina, you must be so excited, keep us updated wont you,

Does this mean we'll all be moving up a seat? :cute:

maisie xxxxxx

Hopefully more than a seat!!