Guest guest36187

We opened an account with NAB, it was all completed very quickly online. If you are in the process of applying for a visa then they are happy to open accounts for you, including a savings account which will give you a better rate of interest than you will get in the UK. NAB don't charge for withdrawals or have monthly account fees. they Lao have a lot of ATm machines compared to other banks.

The thing you have to remember is that until you validate your account, that is in person in Oz showing your passport, then you can only pay money in, not out. We made an appointment at the branch in Mt Martha and within 5 mins we had our debit cards and online banking set up. now we are back in the Uk we can our account online and deal with any payments we need.

Anyone had the TEST email from IMMI it's not working again?

JULIE

I think with Westpac that you can open the account online and then you can validate the account in person here in the UK giving you complete access to your money - that's if you fancy a trip to London of course :-)

Maisie

Guest geordie joe
Hi Joe

I know IMMI were inundated with 103 applications in May and June last year but I don't know why we who have applied for 143’s have had to wait so long when they are supposed to give priority to CPV applications. After all they have apparently 13 yrs plus to process the 103’s.

Julie

Hi Julie

I totally agree given the the overall cost we are paying for the visa.

I think with Westpac that you can open the account online and then you can validate the account in person here in the UK giving you complete access to your money - that's if you fancy a trip to London of course :-)

Maisie

yes, we opened an account in London with Westpac last week. Very easy, and we now have had email contact with our account manager in Perth, complete with lots of info. Our debit cards are coming to us here in the UK shortly. We will change the type of account once we are over there next month, as the London office (as that is what it basically is) can only offer certain types.

We already have an ANZ account, which my daughter used to pay for our visas etc. I opened this one over the phone with London, they were very helpful. Then we had to validate once we arrived, that process was not so simple. It did work out ok but I thought the person dealing with us in Perth was a bit flaky. Of course with ANZ, being on the older side we don't pay any charges. Which is why we will change the type of account we have with Westpac, after our free year.

Hope this makes sense!!

We opened our account whilst in Oz, i know its not opening it in Uk, but i couldn't believe how easy and quick it was to do....

UK; Make an appointment, even though i have several accounts with the same bank,prove to me your address, utility bills, passport,get details of account sent in the post, order debit cards, wait a week, call and re order as haven't been sent, get cards, wait a week for passcode.

OZ; pop into the bank, show passport, get account and account number there and then and temporary passcode, 3 days later cards arrive in the post. sorted !!!

thanks

We opened our account whilst in Oz, i know its not opening it in Uk, but i couldn't believe how easy and quick it was to do....

UK; Make an appointment, even though i have several accounts with the same bank,prove to me your address, utility bills, passport,get details of account sent in the post, order debit cards, wait a week, call and re order as haven't been sent, get cards, wait a week for passcode.

OZ; pop into the bank, show passport, get account and account number there and then and temporary passcode, 3 days later cards arrive in the post. sorted !!!

thanks

Oh if only all the useless establishments and government departments in the UK were sent to Oz for lessons then this country wouldn't be on its knees.

We are considering applying for the 103 visa as we don't plan to retire and move to Australia for 10 to 12 years. Our son would be providing the AoS but currently is studying and only works part time so probably wouldn't meet the income requirement at this time. The bank bond isn't an issue as we would pay that into our son's account. My question is at what stage in the process would his income be assessed?

When you're asked to do the AOS which is when the visa's about to be granted. Apply for the 103 sooner rather than later if you're going to before they shut it down again- you can switch to the 143 at any time.

hi,

when you say 'when the visa is about to be granted'. Does this mean that it is when you get near the front of the queue in many years time or are you assessed and granted the visa (but not given it til you get to the top of the queue) in a year or two? If it is the former does our son still have to complete and send in his form at the time we make our application as the information will change over time? Hope that makes sense.

No he won't be asked for it at the time of application. If you go through the forms you're asked to provide as part of the application, you will see it's all about your personal info.

The AOS is not done until all other steps are completed, including Meds- so presumably if you failed the Meds you would never get to AOS stage anyway.

Hi everyone, just to let you know, I have finally received my formal acknowledgement of valid application 143 today :-) Lodgement date is 18 June 2014, so I know there are a few others who will be pleased to know, as the dates are close :-) Hope you all receive yours soon !!

All the best,

Amanda

Guest geordie joe
Hi everyone, just to let you know, I have finally received my formal acknowledgement of valid application 143 today :-) Lodgement date is 18 June 2014, so I know there are a few others who will be pleased to know, as the dates are close :-) Hope you all receive yours soon !!

All the best,

Amanda

Great news Amanda, looks like they may have started working again, and with the interest rate cut in Oz the £ is heading in the right direction as well.

All the best,

Amanda

Hi Amanda

That's good news for you, the last auto reply I saw last week said they were up to the 1 June.

May I ask what timeline they have given you for police checks and Medicals and if you have to do the dreaded form 80?

I expect like me you have found the discussion on banking interesting - I'm investigating what bank to use in perth now.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Amanda

That's good news for you, the last auto reply I saw last week said they were up to the 1 June.

May I ask what timeline they have given you for police checks and Medicals and if you have to do the dreaded form 80?

I expect like me you have found the discussion on banking interesting - I'm investigating what bank to use in perth now.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, they've moved forward a bit then from last weeks info which is good news, won't be long before you receive yours now. Oddly, they have not mentioned when further documents may be requested (and no mention of Form 80 either). It states not to send any further documents until requested, as it will not speed up the application process. I don't know if anyone else who has received theirs recently also states the same. We have a bank account at HSBC in Sydney, but will open an account with a more "local bank" once there.

Cheers,

Amanda

hello everyone..i am new to this thread. my parents are applying for CVP visa 143 but i want to know what will be their medicare options as my mother is on psychiatric medicine and my father is on insulin.

one more query what will be their option of getting social security payment after 10 years as mentioned on immi siteas both of them are retired?

regards

Hi Amanda

Great news, I only just behind you in the queue!!!! Hopefully get rs next week. Have they given any idea of dates for medicals etc? want to get our house on the market this Spring. Also great news on the exchange rate this morning over1.96!

Julie

Hi Julie

Wow where is it 1.96?

I can only find 1.91

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

the rate shot up to 1.662 first thing this morning on the xe app it gives a 60 sec update on what is happening on the exchange market. Haven,t checked what we would get from Moneycorp yet.

Just plugged a revised exchange rate into our finances for Oz and had a big smile on my face!

Having read the updates from John at Moneycorp it looks like March is the next date to watch for RBA making any further changes. You never know we might see it go to 2 to the £.

Going to gamble and wait until March to move our 2nd Vac over to Oz bank account. might regret it but that' swhat we think.

Julie

Hi everyone, I was lucky enough to get 1.9225 last Friday. It was arranged with Halo Financial. My advice would be not to take the first quote you are offered as they can vary from dealer to dealer. Also don't deal with those who charge for sending funds to your Aus banks.

Cheers, Val

Hi Amanda

Great news, I only just behind you in the queue!!!! Hopefully get rs next week. Have they given any idea of dates for medicals etc? want to get our house on the market this Spring. Also great news on the exchange rate this morning over1.96!

Julie

Hi Julie, yes, you were one of the parents on here I thought of who'd be next :-) Strangely, I have not been given any dates, only advice to "not send any further documents until requested,.. as it won't speed up the process..." (?? I've not heard that on here before, a bit worried about it). I'll be interested to hear what you are told when you receive yours, very soon no doubt!

Yes, good news on the exchange rate, I'm holding out for a little more - whether that's smart or stupid, I'm yet to find out, haha....

Amanda

Hi Julie, yes, you were one of the parents on here I thought of who'd be next :-) Strangely, I have not been given any dates, only advice to "not send any further documents until requested,.. as it won't speed up the process..." (?? I've not heard that on here before, a bit worried about it). I'll be interested to hear what you are told when you receive yours, very soon no doubt!

Yes, good news on the exchange rate, I'm holding out for a little more - whether that's smart or stupid, I'm yet to find out, haha....

Amanda

Hi Amanda

Disappointing that they haven't given a date for meds, that concerns me too. will let you know what mine says as soon as I get it!

Like you, holding out for a higher rate....... Time will tell.

Julie

All the best,

Amanda

Great news Amanda, feels great to get it doesn't it :-) .... another step forward x

Just out of interest, we went through Moneycorp this morning and got $1.92.61

best wishes

maisie

Edited by maisiedaisy

Hoping for some advice as unsure if I am missing something.

we have decided to get on and put in a 103 visa application. We are willing to take a chance on the waiting time as we want to settle in Australia on retirement which will be about 12 years time but could travel back and forth on tourist visas for a few years if needed until we are too old to travel so hopefully could get the 103 in our timescale.

i have completed the application form and am in the process of getting the certified documents together. I will forward it to my son in Melbourne to complete the form 40 and add his certified documents. He will then mail the lot to the relevant address.

My queries are that I am a bit concerned that almost everyone seems to be using Migration Agents. Is this necessary if your situation seems straight forward and you are confident completing forms?

Also so I am a little unsure of the process (I know a Migration Agent would clarify this but it feels like you guys can help with that!).

Once the application and documents have been sent do you get any acknowledgment? Do you then wait to be allocated a Case Officer and do they write to advise of the next steps? It seems that you don't join the queue for a year or two. Why is this? If further evidence is needed is it simply asked for or does your application fail and you lose your first application fee? (I hope not!). Are medicals and police checks done then or do they get requested towards the end of the process many years ahead? I understand the AoS interview assessment gets done last just before the visa is granted.

lots of questions already!

It's easy enough to do yourself. You will get an acknowledgement of receipt & then nothing further until ready to process, which with 103 will obviously be a long time so be prepared to let it go.

Same with Meds & further Documents. They'll contact you by phone & email.

for those applying for 143- my instructions for dates of Meds/Police checks came one year after applying- then was given a further 4 months to complete.