Guest guest36187

If you look here it tells you more. http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00313898.htm

The bottom line is your Tax Agent should have told you that it can be deducted. Simon Harvey from Global Qrops told us about it before we left the UK. The State Pension 8% can just be deducted....I also have a Teachers Pension and I had to complete a form to obtain the UPP price for that pension. I only had to complete it once and it can now be deducted also.

I would suggest taking a quick look at the website, then contacting your Tax Agent and ask them to make the UPP deduction and correct the previous year's mistake at the same time.

Julie

Wow. Many thanks for this. I will follow up.

Charlie

Hi Angie!

Glad things are going well for you and Ted. Sooooo jealous of you going to the Halloween thing in Manly - its where my daughter lives and they are going too! Do look out for a very heavily pregnant blonde with a painted pumpkin on her bump! Our 2 year old grandaughter will either be a witch or a bumble bee. Say "Hi" if you see them. Only 4 weeks on Sunday till we get on that plane - can't wait!

Hope you continue to enjoy life down under - keep us posted!

Best wishes, Val x

Hi Val. We didn't get to the halloween parade in the end. They were forecasting a storm and we weren't sure if it would go ahead so reluctantly decided not to go. We did get the storm at 6pm, the time they predicted! Do you know if the parade got cancelled in the end? Those 4 weeks till you fly out will just whizz by - you'll soon be here enjoying this lovely weather too! Angie x

Hi Val. We didn't get to the halloween parade in the end. They were forecasting a storm and we weren't sure if it would go ahead so reluctantly decided not to go. We did get the storm at 6pm, the time they predicted! Do you know if the parade got cancelled in the end? Those 4 weeks till you fly out will just whizz by - you'll soon be here enjoying this lovely weather too! Angie x

Hi Angie,

Not sure about the parade but it definately rained hard. She sent me a pic of her painted bump - it had gone all streaky in the rain. Hope the weather settles before we arrive - we can get rain any time here! We have loads of research to do while we are over this time. We might go to watch an auction too. Have you been to any yet? We also need to seriously look at what the job market is like for us 50+ers aswell. Its beginning to stress me out - the visa process was a doddle compared to the worry of houses and jobs.

Do keep us posted on your experiences, best of luck! Val x

Guest Simon Harvey
Wow. Many thanks for this. I will follow up.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

As per the note from Julie, Australian tax rules allow you to claim the 'Undeducted Purchase Price” (UPP) of all pensions paid from the UK to be taken into account when calculating taxable income.

The UPP on your state pension can be claimed at a flat rate of 8% but for any Occupational or Private Pensions the tax free amount will need to be calculated. The calculation is based on the total value of all personal contributions made over the years during which you were building up a pension entitlement in the UK. You will probably need to contact your pension provider in the UK to obtain this information. Happy to advise you privately if required.

Kind regards

Sure this will have been asked before but I've been looking at the sub class (residents) aged parents visa (804) and can't see an age criteria.......am I missing something?

Phoebe

You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for this visa.

[h=2]Age requirements[/h][h=3]Men[/h]Men must be 65 years or older to meet the age requirements.

[h=3]Women[/h]Women should use the following table. The table shows the age at which a woman becomes eligible to apply for an Aged Parent visa.

[TABLE=class: tableborder]

[TR]

[TH]Birth Date[/TH]

[TH]Earliest date you can apply[/TH]

[TH]Minimum Age[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Before 30 June 1944 [/TD]

[TD]From 30 June 2007

[/TD]

[TD]63

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1 July 1944 - 31 December 1945

[/TD]

[TD]Between 1 January 2008 - 30 June 2009

[/TD]

[TD]63.5

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1 January 1946 - 30 June 1947

[/TD]

[TD]Between 1 January 2010 - 30 June 2011

[/TD]

[TD]64

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1 July 1947 - 31 December 1948

[/TD]

[TD]Between 1 January 2012 - 30 June 2013

[/TD]

[TD]64.5

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1 January 1949 and later

[/TD]

[TD]From 1 January 2014 onwards

[/TD]

[TD]65

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Examples:

If you were born on 15 September 1947, you would be eligible to apply for an Aged Parent visa from 15 March 2012 onwards as you would have turned 64.5 years of age.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/aged/804/eligibility-applicant.htm#a

Hi Charlie,

As per the note from Julie, Australian tax rules allow you to claim the 'Undeducted Purchase Price” (UPP) of all pensions paid from the UK to be taken into account when calculating taxable income.

The UPP on your state pension can be claimed at a flat rate of 8% but for any Occupational or Private Pensions the tax free amount will need to be calculated. The calculation is based on the total value of all personal contributions made over the years during which you were building up a pension entitlement in the UK. You will probably need to contact your pension provider in the UK to obtain this information. Happy to advise you privately if required.

Kind regards

Hi

Thanks, I have contacted my provider for the info. I am sure they will be able to say how much I paid but what exchange rate do I have to use. My pension payments were over 30 years!

Charlie

Hi Angie,

Not sure about the parade but it definately rained hard. She sent me a pic of her painted bump - it had gone all streaky in the rain. Hope the weather settles before we arrive - we can get rain any time here! We have loads of research to do while we are over this time. We might go to watch an auction too. Have you been to any yet? We also need to seriously look at what the job market is like for us 50+ers aswell. Its beginning to stress me out - the visa process was a doddle compared to the worry of houses and jobs.

Do keep us posted on your experiences, best of luck! Val x

Hi Val

We haven't seen a house auction yet but I bet it would be very interesting. I'd go along to one if we could get a bargain! ha ha! Looking at house prices around here I think we will have to rent rather than buy. There does seem to be jobs going for our sort of age group if you're flexible on the type of work you're looking for. Ted has applied for two which are fairly local and is still looking out for anything else advertised. I understand most companies here are not quick in responding to applications but I'll let you know if we hear anything. I agree Val it is difficult not to be concerned about finances unless you come over here with millions! Australia is not the cheapest place to live but the bargains are out there if you shop around. We are lucky that we have the internet to research everything. Talking of research I really need to sort out our UK Tax - I assume we won't have to pay any now that we are not living and working in the UK unless anyone knows otherwise! :) Take care Angie x

Edited by brummiebabies

Guest guest72525

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/cb/2012/cb191379.htm (posted yesterday about the Health requirement)

I thought this line was particularly interesting: 'A 'net benefit' approach will allow decision makers to consider the social and economic benefits an applicant and their family bring to Australia compared to the cost of their health care

Good news for those with on the border of failing the health requirement if you are bringing some money into Australia?

Hi

Thanks, I have contacted my provider for the info. I am sure they will be able to say how much I paid but what exchange rate do I have to use. My pension payments were over 30 years!

Charlie

You can put the amount in £s. We are going through this at the moment. Here's a link to the form:

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/spr86196n16543_05_2011.pdf

• Like 1

Hi Val

We haven't seen a house auction yet but I bet it would be very interesting. I'd go along to one if we could get a bargain! ha ha! Looking at house prices around here I think we will have to rent rather than buy. There does seem to be jobs going for our sort of age group if you're flexible on the type of work you're looking for. Ted has applied for two which are fairly local and is still looking out for anything else advertised. I understand most companies here are not quick in responding to applications but I'll let you know if we hear anything. I agree Val it is difficult not to be concerned about finances unless you come over here with millions! Australia is not the cheapest place to live but the bargains are out there if you shop around. We are lucky that we have the internet to research everything. Talking of research I really need to sort out our UK Tax - I assume we won't have to pay any now that we are not living and working in the UK unless anyone knows otherwise! :) Take care Angie x

Hi Angie, No idea about tax - sorry! I would have thought that once our business have been wound up and the accountant's done his numbers and sent all the figures off to HMRC we'll get a final bill and that will be it (famous last words etc)! I suppose if someone else employed us we could just walk away.

We thought it might be a good indication of true house prices if we went to watch a couple of auctions. You can see online how much the guide price is but you can't ever see what they actually went for. I just hope I dont nod my head or wave my arm when we go to one!

How are you finding Birkdale? There are a lot of lovely places to live in the bayside area so I hope we will be able to afford something (fingers crossed).

Three weeks and counting.......................

Val x

Hi Everyone

Been reading this thread for a while now and we started at page 1 onwards. There has been some great bits of info and some good advice but I am unsure how to apply this new found knowledge to our own circumstances. Which bits would apply/be eligible for etc.

Our situation is that we are here on a 457 Visa and are looking to go PR soon. My sister has been here 3 years now and she has just become PR. My parents are very interested in joining us here soon too even if it is just for part of the year (ideally they would want to stay forever). They only have my sister and me so they are really wanting to be here too. My Dad is 59 in January next year and will be retired from the armed forces after 35+years, my mother will be 56 in April next year. They have looked at the parent and contributory visa and both have challenges. Obviously the wait for the parent visa and we are still not clear on age etc, then there is the cost of the contributory visa. They are not looking to work but simply retire. The pensions they have will keep them and they are looking to live between me or my sister. They may also be in a position to buy a property with the sale of their house in the UK.

We are starting to think there is nothing they can do except apply for the parent visa and wait, take the decision to pay out for the contributory parent visa or just forget it and just keep coming out on a 3-6 month holiday visa.

Any suggestions, places/people we should talk to etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

We are starting to think there is nothing they can do except apply for the parent visa and wait, take the decision to pay out for the contributory parent visa or just forget it and just keep coming out on a 3-6 month holiday visa.

QUOTE]

Hi Craig

From my limited knowledge, your summary seems about right. Someone out there may be able to offer some guidance - I hope so.

Charlie

Hi Everyone

Been reading this thread for a while now and we started at page 1 onwards. There has been some great bits of info and some good advice but I am unsure how to apply this new found knowledge to our own circumstances. Which bits would apply/be eligible for etc.

Our situation is that we are here on a 457 Visa and are looking to go PR soon. My sister has been here 3 years now and she has just become PR. My parents are very interested in joining us here soon too even if it is just for part of the year (ideally they would want to stay forever). They only have my sister and me so they are really wanting to be here too. My Dad is 59 in January next year and will be retired from the armed forces after 35+years, my mother will be 56 in April next year. They have looked at the parent and contributory visa and both have challenges. Obviously the wait for the parent visa and we are still not clear on age etc, then there is the cost of the contributory visa. They are not looking to work but simply retire. The pensions they have will keep them and they are looking to live between me or my sister. They may also be in a position to buy a property with the sale of their house in the UK.

Any suggestions, places/people we should talk to etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

I don't know if you are aware of this:

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/cb/2012/cb189679.htm

Your parents could come out for three years or if they have applied for the normal 103 parent visa, for five years.

I am now totally confused - I hadnt realised there was a minimum age to apply for a parents visa. There seem to be two - the 804 and the 103 - I had thought that one was for people applying from within Aus. and the other for people applying from outside the country. My OH and I have just decided to apply for the 103 but are 'only' 60 and 62. Does this mean we have to wait?

Also, the new five year thing - the way I read it, parents of Aus. citizens or P.R. s will be able to apply for a three or five year visa, depending on whether they are on the waiting list or not, but would only be able to stay for a maximum of one year at a time?

thanks for clarification from anyone.

I am now totally confused - I hadnt realised there was a minimum age to apply for a parents visa. There seem to be two - the 804 and the 103 - I had thought that one was for people applying from within Aus. and the other for people applying from outside the country. My OH and I have just decided to apply for the 103 but are 'only' 60 and 62. Does this mean we have to wait?

Also, the new five year thing - the way I read it, parents of Aus. citizens or P.R. s will be able to apply for a three or five year visa, depending on whether they are on the waiting list or not, but would only be able to stay for a maximum of one year at a time?

Have you checked how long the waiting list is on the 103? When I checked around 2 years ago it was 15 years :swoon:

And that's how I read the 'five year thing' too....

Phoebe

<snip>

I am sure Alan Collett will provide a much clearer explanation re the UPP.

Julie

The UPP in respect of the UK State pension is discussed at this page on the ATO website:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00313898.htm

(scroll down to British pensions)

As a general rule the amount contributed personally into a UK pension fund that generates an annuity/pension income that is taxable in Australia is divided by your life expectancy (as determined by the Australian Government Actuary). The result is then claimed as a tax deduction on each year's tax return.

Best regards.

Hello Fisher1.

The minimum age requirement only pertains if you are applying for an onshore Aged Parent or an Aged Contributory Parent visa.

There's no minimum age requirement if you apply for an offshore 103, 143, or 173 visa.

Best regards.

Thanks for the explanation Alan. Also thanks Phoebe - yes I do know the waiting time for the 103. However, we have not taken leave of our senses:-) We cannot move over any time soon because I have a 91 yr old mother to look after. So we were going to just leave it for now till we realised that the new suggested 5 year visa gives a small advantage to people who are on the waiting list. Also, daft as it sounds, I like the idea of having my name on a list, however long .... also it will probably take me twenty years to persuade my husband to move :-) So the 103 application is a compromise.

Thanks for the explanation Alan. Also thanks Phoebe - yes I do know the waiting time for the 103. However, we have not taken leave of our senses:-) We cannot move over any time soon because I have a 91 yr old mother to look after. So we were going to just leave it for now till we realised that the new suggested 5 year visa gives a small advantage to people who are on the waiting list. Also, daft as it sounds, I like the idea of having my name on a list, however long .... also it will probably take me twenty years to persuade my husband to move :-) So the 103 application is a compromise.

I have also read recently that the time you are on the 103 is taken into account when you decide to 'upgrade' so always worth getting your name down :yes:

Phoebe