Guest guest36187

Guest claridge26

Can any body tell me just been notified that we are ready for police checks and medicals can anybody tell me how long we will have to wait for visa being accepted now

Can any body tell me just been notified that we are ready for police checks and medicals can anybody tell me how long we will have to wait for visa being accepted now

Hi there. After we had our medicals and police checks done it was approximately 2 months before our visas were granted but I guess it does vary slightly with each case. Hope this helps. Angie

Hi there

My d-i-l has just paid the money to Centrelink. She said it was straightforward and easy. The only wait was for one half hours while someone photocopied the documents, so the moral of this story is to take a photocopy of the documents with you when going along to Centrelink (this is for the asurer).

I am still waiting for the Panel to get back to me and tell me what further tests I need to get!!!

Best wishes

Moiira

Hi Gin, my ack date is 6 Sept 2011 and I am expecting a CO any day now, the way flight prices are going I was even going to book one for end Dec as there is one date when it is fairly reasonable they go way up for a one way flight in January. It really seems a long time that you are waiting for a CO, going by , the tracker list. Hope you can let us know if you email and get a reply from immigration. Best of luck with it, have to rethink booking the flight after reading your thread. Fran.:no:

yeah. thinking of sending an email by Nov...by then im officially 17 mos waiting. Thanks for the reply btw. goodluck to us.

Hi there,

I would email parents@immi.gov.au give them your file reference number and name(s) and ask if they can tell you how long it might be until you are contacted by a case officer or asked to provide further information (medicals, police checks etc). Knowing them, they will reply that they are currently dealing with applications lodged before yours. Then next week (as if by magic) they will email you again and begin the next part of the process.

I sometimes think they like to play mind games with us (or maybe I'm paranoid!)

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on with it.

Regards,

Val x

Thanks for the guidance. Let you all know the outcome once I do. And oh btw, just to have an idea..what sort of medical tests do they want you to go through. So commonly that’s urine, ultrasounds? xray, blood, and what else? Do they check sugars, cholesterol? How in depth does it go?

Guest Davebee

Hi there, new to forum. First post.

we pass the Balance of family test and should be ok with the assurance of support.

is there any way we could wait out the parental visa for a number of years whilst working, son could provide work for me. My wife and I would both emigrate, I am 60, she is 56. We could just about afford the cpv but wonder if anyone has done this?

thanks, dave

we pass the Balance of family test and should be ok with the assurance of support.

is there any way we could wait out the parental visa for a number of years whilst working, son could provide work for me. My wife and I would both emigrate, I am 60, she is 56. We could just about afford the cpv but wonder if anyone has done this?

thanks, dave

Sorry Davebee, you are absolutely NOT allowed to work in Australia until you have your CPV 173 or 143. If it was that simple and there were no rules then none of us would bother applying and paying out all that money. I'm afraid you'll just have to wait it out and pay the $$$$$$. Time will pass really quickly once you've applied and then you can move over there legally.

Sorry if it wasn't what you wanted to hear and good luck with the application.

Regards, Val

Thanks for the guidance. Let you all know the outcome once I do. And oh btw, just to have an idea..what sort of medical tests do they want you to go through. So commonly that’s urine, ultrasounds? xray, blood, and what else? Do they check sugars, cholesterol? How in depth does it go?

Hi Gin,

From what I remember of the medicals, we were weighed, had our chests x-rayed, blood pressure, blood samples taken, urine tested and asked a few questions regarding our general health. All pretty painless (apart from the cost). Husband's blood pressure was quite high but our own doctor re-did them and sent the results to the clinic and luckily they were fine. Nothing to worry about if your general health is good.

Good luck! Val x

thanks, dave

Hi Dave

Val is absolutely right I'm afraid but as she said the time will go very quickly :smile:

It's surprising how much time you will need for meds police checks declutering etc etc :swoon:

Welcome to PIO you couldn't have a better place to find out all you need to know. We are all in this together :yes:

Which part are you heading to?

Phoebe

Edited by PhoebeW

Guest Davebee
Hi Dave

Val is absolutely right I'm afraid but as she said the time will go very quickly :smile:

It's surprising how much time you will need for meds police checks declutering etc etc :swoon:

Welcome to PIO you couldn't have a better place to find out all you need to know. We are all in this together :yes:

Which part are you heading to?

Phoebe

to Victoria hopefully, think we will take the quick and costly route!

Thanks for your swift replies, just exploring all options I guess before we commit a lot of money.....

Hi again Davebee,

Just had another thought, you could apply for the 173 temporary visa which is valid for 2 years. On that one you can work so there would be nothing to stop you from getting that and going over and working for the (nearly) 2 years till its time to apply for the permanent one. That way you could be earning money towards the cost of the 143. Lucky you having a job to go to - thats our worry. We're scared of not getting work.

Unfortunately its no quicker - 173 vs 143 (about 16 months) but at least you don't have to fork out all the $$$$$ right away.

We're always happy to help on here - good luck

Val

to Victoria hopefully, think we will take the quick and costly route!

Thanks for your swift replies, just exploring all options I guess before we commit a lot of money.....

It's always best.

Good Luck stay in touch it''s always nice to see how people are doing :cute:

Phoebe

Hi again Davebee,

Just had another thought, you could apply for the 173 temporary visa which is valid for 2 years. On that one you can work so there would be nothing to stop you from getting that and going over and working for the (nearly) 2 years till its time to apply for the permanent one. That way you could be earning money towards the cost of the 143. Lucky you having a job to go to - thats our worry. We're scared of not getting work.

Unfortunately its no quicker - 173 vs 143 (about 16 months) but at least you don't have to fork out all the $$$$$ right away.

We're always happy to help on here - good luck

Val

If I can persude hubby that's the route we will take :yes:

We tried the 143 route couple of years ago only to have to send our CO back due to lack of funds :cry:

Phoebe

A quick update, 7 weeks in and I've got a job! We've been applying for work from about 2 weeks in. It's a slow and laid back process and it seems to take ages to hear anything after the closing date for applications. But I am delighted to be starting work on Monday. OH is still looking and applying but we are confident he'll get something soon.

We had our grandsons for the day yesterday and it was wonderful. They are loving seeing us regularly and my daughter and SIL really enjoy having us around to help out. It is so worth the wait!

Our container has arrived in Sydney, exactly 2 months after leaving York. AQIS is looming and then hopefully we should have delivery in 2+ weeks. More on that later.

Kim

That's great news Kim :biggrin:

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit because hubby hasn't made the decision yet :swoon:.....must be the excitement of getting the bank accounts so easily :jiggy:

To those of you who are still in the UK but have applied for a 173/143 and have an Aussie bank account.....were you able to pay the VAC through your ordinary Aussie bank account?

Phoebe

To those of you who are still in the UK but have applied for a 173/143 and have an Aussie bank account.....were you able to pay the VAC through your ordinary Aussie bank account?

Phoebe

G'day Phoebe

We tried but failed!! We have a St George account with a Visa credit/debit card – not a true credit card, more of a "charge" card, as the money is taken immediately from our bank account rather than the debt accumulating for a month.

When the time came to pay the Big One – the 2nd VAC – we filled out and sent DIAC the form authorising the credit/debit card charge, but they emailed back to say it had been refused. We tried again, checking the numbers, and even tried phoning St George from the UK – they were mystified! – but to no avail. So in the end we transferred the money to our daughter's account, and she sent them a bank cheque.

Payment does seem to be one of the weak links in the process. It's difficult to understand why they can't accept personal cheques – perhaps with a draconian warning about surcharges/delays if they bounce!

Good luck, Mike

PS: In response to other members' queries about savings rates, the situation here is much like that in the UK (though at better rates), in that the best rates are "introductory", for a few months only. Have a look at this page from the Sydney Morning Herald website: http://compare.smh.com.au/savings-accounts?utm_source=CS_tab&utm_medium=CnS&utm_campaign=SA_ANZ500.

More about our past few months soon – been very busy!!

A quick update, 7 weeks in and I've got a job! We've been applying for work from about 2 weeks in. It's a slow and laid back process and it seems to take ages to hear anything after the closing date for applications. But I am delighted to be starting work on Monday. OH is still looking and applying but we are confident he'll get something soon.

We had our grandsons for the day yesterday and it was wonderful. They are loving seeing us regularly and my daughter and SIL really enjoy having us around to help out. It is so worth the wait!

Our container has arrived in Sydney, exactly 2 months after leaving York. AQIS is looming and then hopefully we should have delivery in 2+ weeks. More on that later.

Kim

Hi Kim. So pleased to hear your good news about the job. Congratulations! It sounds as though you have settled in so well. We have only been here just under a week so still adjusting to the Oz way of life. We have bought a car and registered with Medicare but there are still quite a few things to sort out. We are staying with our Daughter and SIL and it's lovely to see the grandchildren and, like you, being around to help out. We are taking the kids to a Haleoween parade in Manly (Qld) and afterwards I believe there is a free open air movie being shown in the park. Aren't we lucky to have this lovely climate to enjoy these outside activities! Our container arrives next month - really looking forward seeing our possessions again! Angie

Hi Angie!

Glad things are going well for you and Ted. Sooooo jealous of you going to the Halloween thing in Manly - its where my daughter lives and they are going too! Do look out for a very heavily pregnant blonde with a painted pumpkin on her bump! Our 2 year old grandaughter will either be a witch or a bumble bee. Say "Hi" if you see them. Only 4 weeks on Sunday till we get on that plane - can't wait!

Hope you continue to enjoy life down under - keep us posted!

Best wishes, Val x

Hi all

We seem to be so busy these days, that I don't get much chance to read PIO each day so have just been catching up. On the subject of Bank Accounts - we originally opened a Westpac account + Savings account because our daughter banked with them. When the time came to pay our Visa charges, we did fund transfers to my daughter's account over a 7 day period at $10,000 a day timed so that the total amount required reached her account ready for her to draw down the Bankers cheque (equivalent of Bankers Draft in UK) payable to the DIAC. She then sent that to Perth and the whole business was sorted out in around 15 working days from start to finish. Good way to go providing you can trust your kids!! It worked for us, as I could do the funds transfer from the UK via the internet and then provide her with all the info she needed to draw the bankers cheque for payment.

After we got here, I was extremely unimpressed with the counter service at Westpac (having worked for a bank in the UK for 26 years I have high standards!) and decided to move all our accounts to NAB a few yards up the road. We opened a Classic account + I-Saver account (I believe at the time you had to have a Classic account to have the I-Saver) and a Retirement account (over 55's) The Classic account pays no interest and we leave a small $50 balance in it as we have a debit card linked to it which we don't use -we also have a debit card with the Retirement account which we do use. The Retirement account pays a small amount of interest which varies depending the balance - very small rate for less than $3000, slighter better for higher balances. The I-Saver pays the best interest with a bonus interest for the first 4 months. We did change our I-Saver once to retain the bonus interest but I couldn't be bothered doing this every 4 months and our Financial Adviser at the NAB suggested we look at U-Bank - an online bank operated by NAB. They pay a good rate of interest plus a bonus percentage if you pay in a minimum of $200 a month. We have put the majority of our savings cash into Super and have retained our "caravan fund" in the U-Bank account with a smaller "rainy day fund" in the I-Saver. We pay $200 a month into U-Bank and get 5.16% (currently) interest - the normal rate is 4.46%. You have to link your U-Bank account with your ordinary account (in our case our Retirement account) to set up the Automatic Savings Plan but it is all pretty painless to do online. The beauty of this account is we can transfer money back to our NAB account if required and still keep the bonus interest rate. All the rates information is variable of course, and is on the NAB and U-Bank websites and well worth a look.

As far as the NAB is concerned, we have had superb service from them, both at the counter and with our Personal Financial Adviser and based on the service from the Torquay/Geelong branches, would highly recommend them. Westpac didn't even ask why we were closing our account!

Hope this info is useful to those our there trying to organise finances - every little bit helps. I am a bit excited now as I have just got my paperwork for claiming my state pension (I am in the age group for women where I have had to wait longer for it!) so something else to look forward to getting! Cheers everyone. Gill

Hi all

We seem to be so busy these days, that I don't get much chance to read PIO each day so have just been catching up. On the subject of Bank Accounts - we originally opened a Westpac account + Savings account because our daughter banked with them. When the time came to pay our Visa charges, we did fund transfers to my daughter's account over a 7 day period at $10,000 a day timed so that the total amount required reached her account ready for her to draw down the Bankers cheque (equivalent of Bankers Draft in UK) payable to the DIAC. She then sent that to Perth and the whole business was sorted out in around 15 working days from start to finish. Good way to go providing you can trust your kids!! It worked for us, as I could do the funds transfer from the UK via the internet and then provide her with all the info she needed to draw the bankers cheque for payment.

After we got here, I was extremely unimpressed with the counter service at Westpac (having worked for a bank in the UK for 26 years I have high standards!) and decided to move all our accounts to NAB a few yards up the road. We opened a Classic account + I-Saver account (I believe at the time you had to have a Classic account to have the I-Saver) and a Retirement account (over 55's) The Classic account pays no interest and we leave a small $50 balance in it as we have a debit card linked to it which we don't use -we also have a debit card with the Retirement account which we do use. The Retirement account pays a small amount of interest which varies depending the balance - very small rate for less than $3000, slighter better for higher balances. The I-Saver pays the best interest with a bonus interest for the first 4 months. We did change our I-Saver once to retain the bonus interest but I couldn't be bothered doing this every 4 months and our Financial Adviser at the NAB suggested we look at U-Bank - an online bank operated by NAB. They pay a good rate of interest plus a bonus percentage if you pay in a minimum of $200 a month. We have put the majority of our savings cash into Super and have retained our "caravan fund" in the U-Bank account with a smaller "rainy day fund" in the I-Saver. We pay $200 a month into U-Bank and get 5.16% (currently) interest - the normal rate is 4.46%. You have to link your U-Bank account with your ordinary account (in our case our Retirement account) to set up the Automatic Savings Plan but it is all pretty painless to do online. The beauty of this account is we can transfer money back to our NAB account if required and still keep the bonus interest rate. All the rates information is variable of course, and is on the NAB and U-Bank websites and well worth a look.

As far as the NAB is concerned, we have had superb service from them, both at the counter and with our Personal Financial Adviser and based on the service from the Torquay/Geelong branches, would highly recommend them. Westpac didn't even ask why we were closing our account!

Hope this info is useful to those our there trying to organise finances - every little bit helps. I am a bit excited now as I have just got my paperwork for claiming my state pension (I am in the age group for women where I have had to wait longer for it!) so something else to look forward to getting! Cheers everyone. Gill

Thanks for that info Gill. I have to say all the questions I've emailed to NAB have been answered promptly. I already have a UBank account in my daughters name thankfully I can trust her 100% :yes: and use it for Xmas/birthday presents pocket money etc and like you said a high interest rate :smile:

I made my first forex transfer to the new NAB iSaver and all went smoothly so just need to keep an eye on the exchange rate in the vain hope the $ will rise :swoon:

Phoebe

Edited by PhoebeW

Hi all

Did you know you can claim 8% UPP (Undeducted Purchase Price) on your State Pension, so you don't have to pay Australian Tax on the full amount?

Julie

Did you know you can claim 8% UPP (Undeducted Purchase Price) on your State Pension, so you don't have to pay Australian Tax on the full amount?

Julie

I'm ok with figures/money but can never get my head around tax :swoon:

Im in the same bracket as Gill should have received my pension January 2013 but have to work another 3 years now :cry: how does this UPP work exactly and how do you go about it. The 'idiots guide' is preferred :biglaugh:

Phoebe

Edited by PhoebeW

I'm ok with figures/money but can never get my head around tax :swoon:

Im in the same bracket as Gill should have received my pension January 2013 but have to work another 3 years now :cry: how does this UPP work exactly and how do you go about it. The 'idiots guide' is preferred :biglaugh:

Phoebe

If you have to complete an Australian Tax Return, under the Income Section you have to declare any foreign pension, having first changed it into dollars using their conversion figure - this year was (0.6736). You are allowed to deduct 8% from the final figure you enter in Box D.

Interesting to note, that you also have to declare any money that you bring over each year - they don't tax you on it, but you need to enter it at BOX V. (They know anyway, because your bank lets the tax office know of amounts received higher than $10,000.

I have to say that the Australian Tax Return is much easier to get your head around than the UK one.

I am sure Alan Collett will provide a much clearer explanation re the UPP.

Julie

If you have to complete an Australian Tax Return, under the Income Section you have to declare any foreign pension, having first changed it into dollars using their conversion figure - this year was (0.6736). You are allowed to deduct 8% from the final figure you enter in Box D.

Interesting to note, that you also have to declare any money that you bring over each year - they don't tax you on it, but you need to enter it at BOX V. (They know anyway, because your bank lets the tax office know of amounts received higher than $10,000.

I have to say that the Australian Tax Return is much easier to get your head around than the UK one.

I am sure Alan Collett will provide a much clearer explanation re the UPP.

Julie

Hi

Please tell me more about 8% deduction. I have not heard about this and I have used a Tax Agent the last 2 years?

Charlie

Hi

Please tell me more about 8% deduction. I have not heard about this and I have used a Tax Agent the last 2 years?

Charlie

If you look here it tells you more. http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00313898.htm

The bottom line is your Tax Agent should have told you that it can be deducted. Simon Harvey from Global Qrops told us about it before we left the UK. The State Pension 8% can just be deducted....I also have a Teachers Pension and I had to complete a form to obtain the UPP price for that pension. I only had to complete it once and it can now be deducted also.

I would suggest taking a quick look at the website, then contacting your Tax Agent and ask them to make the UPP deduction and correct the previous year's mistake at the same time.

Julie