Back Home quick update

Guest John Locke

Guest John Locke

So, after almost 8 yrs in Oz, been back home in the U.K for a couple of months now.....back to a sense of belonging, normality, and most importantly...a sense of self...it feels good, it feels right!! (but then I knew deep down it always would)...my wife is glad to be back in the country that she called home for 10 yrs and is now happy to call home again and my children (the subject of so much anxiety and indescision to return years ago) have settled really well...my eldest especially as it was his first year in secondary school (lots of attention, lots of questions about Oz...I think he`s loving it and can`t quite bring himself to admit that he was actually born in Hackney, lol!!!)

We are renting a house in Colchester, a very family orientated town. I like it here and hope to stay in the area although I do miss inner London very much. The dogs are adapting well to being inside dogs and my wife is adapting surprisingly well to them being inside dogs, lol. Christmas was fantastic, the children being amongst their family (and absolutely fascinated by snow!!!) My mum and dad dropped by the other day, my sister popped over for a cuppa...lovely, to back back among family, even better to see my children among them, and one of the many reasons we came back..

Everything I found lacking in Oz is here, the friendliness in people, the banter, the humour, the sharpness, spontaneity, stimulation and, dare I say it, culture!!!!! Already there have been great little moments, the children seeing squirrels for the first time in Greenwhich park, building a snowman outside our house, a drive through the Eastend where I grew up and where my wife and I lived before our move, Victoria Park blanketed in golden leaves....ok, I`ll leave that there at the fear of sounding silly!!

so, yep, it`s good to be home. It`s bloody freezing at the moment and the traffic is hell, but good to be home all the same!!! In a perfect world I would have transplanted my house from Oz here to Colchester, along with a bit of sunshine but other than that not missing much about Oz to be honest...our things arrived recently after a 2 week delay so we are busy getting the house in order, making it a home and just generally feeling good about things........feel slightly out of the loop sometimes, as if i`ve been hibernating for almost a decade and just woken up, but hopefully this coming year will see life fall into place for us!!!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi John,

at least you gave Australia a good go and you are lucky that things are working out so well for you, i hope it continues, all the best for the future,

jim.

So, after almost 8 yrs in Oz, been back home in the U.K for a couple of months now.....back to a sense of belonging, normality, and most importantly...a sense of self...it feels good, it feels right!! (but then I knew deep down it always would)...my wife is glad to be back in the country that she called home for 10 yrs and is now happy to call home again and my children (the subject of so much anxiety and indescision to return years ago) have settled really well...my eldest especially as it was his first year in secondary school (lots of attention, lots of questions about Oz...I think he`s loving it and can`t quite bring himself to admit that he was actually born in Hackney, lol!!!)

We are renting a house in Colchester, a very family orientated town. I like it here and hope to stay in the area although I do miss inner London very much. The dogs are adapting well to being inside dogs and my wife is adapting surprisingly well to them being inside dogs, lol. Christmas was fantastic, the children being amongst their family (and absolutely fascinated by snow!!!) My mum and dad dropped by the other day, my sister popped over for a cuppa...lovely, to back back among family, even better to see my children among them, and one of the many reasons we came back..

Everything I found lacking in Oz is here, the friendliness in people, the banter, the humour, the sharpness, spontaneity, stimulation and, dare I say it, culture!!!!! Already there have been great little moments, the children seeing squirrels for the first time in Greenwhich park, building a snowman outside our house, a drive through the Eastend where I grew up and where my wife and I lived before our move, Victoria Park blanketed in golden leaves....ok, I`ll leave that there at the fear of sounding silly!!

so, yep, it`s good to be home. It`s bloody freezing at the moment and the traffic is hell, but good to be home all the same!!! In a perfect world I would have transplanted my house from Oz here to Colchester, along with a bit of sunshine but other than that not missing much about Oz to be honest...our things arrived recently after a 2 week delay so we are busy getting the house in order, making it a home and just generally feeling good about things........feel slightly out of the loop sometimes, as if i`ve been hibernating for almost a decade and just woken up, but hopefully this coming year will see life fall into place for us!!!

John , good to have you back ......bloody shame you came back to the coldest winter snap for 20 years .

Guest alanmarybella

Hello, I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but why do you post on poms in oz if your home and your happy?

Guest endilwen

Colchester is a nice place =) I live near Ipswich, so not far from you!

Glad to hear you have found happiness back in the UK.

Hello, I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but why do you post on poms in oz if your home and your happy?

Why are you on a forum called "Moving back to the UK"?:eek:

I hope this don't sound rude, but what has that got to do with the price of Fish?

hope it's cold enough for you John good luck. Keep posting even if you are back home.

Good to hear things are work out for you...I was wondering if you got back before Christmas as I had not seen you on here for a while.

Have a great 2010:biggrin:

Glad you came back to update us John, it sounds like you've had a hectic time of it but you're all glad to have made the move back.

Hope you'll not be too busy to come back and post now and again, the experience of your 8 years in Oz will no doubt benefit other members.

Best wishes

Sue x

Guest johanna

Did one of the reasons it didn't work out lie with difficulty making friends. I am finding that the aussies aren't as friendly as everyone makes and and that it was easier making my english friends

Guest siamsusie
Did one of the reasons it didn't work out lie with difficulty making friends. I am finding that the aussies aren't as friendly as everyone makes and and that it was easier making my english friends

How long have you been in Australia?:wubclub:

Guest vidal1974

Congrats on being 'home' and being happy. I hope to be home with my daughter end of Feb and I hope I can be as happy and settled as you and your family are.

Good luck with your future. :)

Guest bebe1375

Its great you made your decision and you are happy. Your post was great and I loved reading it. All the best for the future.

Bebe

Guest guest36187

Im the other way! I have found truer friends here than I ever had in UK.

Guest John Locke

The reason for my post was to update those whose comments, advice, shared experiences, opinions and support have been invaluable to myself and my family....also, to anyone who may have followed my 'story' or to anyone who has shown interest.....also, as was pointed out, I posted in a section of the site called 'moving back to the U.K.' and if a quick hello from someone who has just moved back after a number of years in Oz isn`t relevant to that section, then what is? Also, due to my experiences of the last 8 yrs or so, together with being married to an Australian and having 4 children who grew up there, the word Australia isn`t going to go away anytime soon, and to suggest that on arrival at Heathrow I should no longer have anything to contribute to this site is a bit narrow minded...true, this site has served its purpose in regards to my own personal situation and I no longer have the need to invest it with so much of my time (and rest assured you won`t find me in chewing the fat giving my preference in regards to Coles or Woolies), but if I happen to log on and can be of support to anyone in anyway who is going through the emotional rollercoaster involved in returning to the U.K. then I will...in the same way, If someone starts a thread which I feel like contributing to, then, again, I will. Hope this answers your question.

To everyone else, thanks for your support and kind words.

Guest pegasus 90

Great news John, I'm glad to hear all is well and that your decision had been vindicated.

Guest pegasus 90

You are joking, surely?.

I notice that you are new to this site. Some of us have been on here longer and have been following John's story for some time and now that he has completed his journey back; his views & comments are valid and helpful to many people.

Archived