Just don't know...but can't shake the feeling I want to go home!

Emmylou23

Guest SparkyUK

Hi! I live in England and have 2 young boys. I see this country as home but standing back looking at the big picture, surely Australia is the better choice of a place to live! This country is in serious trouble at the moment with hundreds of thousands of 18 to 24 year old out of work as one example! There are loads of comapnies folding on a daily basis too! Your always going to look back at how good things were and thats something everyone does without moving abroad! I'd stay put if I were you, life seems simpler there!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi! I live in England and have 2 young boys. I see this country as home but standing back looking at the big picture, surely Australia is the better choice of a place to live! This country is in serious trouble at the moment with hundreds of thousands of 18 to 24 year old out of work as one example! There are loads of comapnies folding on a daily basis too! Your always going to look back at how good things were and thats something everyone does without moving abroad! I'd stay put if I were you, life seems simpler there!!

Hi SparkyUK. Which post are you replying to??

Hi, i'm replying to emmylou's post regarding Just don't know...but can't shake the feeling I want to go home!

I'm new to this site and sometimes find it confusing, as there seems to be different conversations within posts!!! Thanks for clearing that up.

Hi Metoo. That is a very sad story. The poor guy will think "what if" for the rest of his life and probably his other family members as well, the unfortunate thing is that they will never know if their life would have been any better/different in Australia. I'm glad your daughter is all for the move!! You are so lucky!!! Wish you would have a chat with my daughter!!!!!!!! and I'm sure you will get your visa through any day now. Where are you planning to move to? We are planning to move to Melbourne.

Hello bryansc, we are moving to Sydney, probably northern suburbs/Hills district. Like most, we have property to sell first, we have been busy doing the place up to hopefully help with the sale.

I think in our case, we are lucky that my other half is Australian and so my daughter can ask questions and get first hand honest answers. I have to say though, she has been on board with the idea from day one. If you would like your daughter to chat with her on msn then please pm me and I will give you her e mail addy.

• 3 weeks later...

Moving abroad is really hard without any of your family or friends, a loneliness that is sometimes so great that feels like its eating you. The worst part is all the things that you miss out on, like birthdays, Christmas and other family events, things which make life worth living. In the 2 years I've been gone I've missed out on lots of things, like Lisa’s 21st birthday, Sarah’s new baby and I’ve never met Will or Mi-Mi. Homesickness for me is a longing for the familiarity of home; going round moms for Sunday dinner, shopping in Birmingham with Lisa, Rachel doing my hair, dads nice cup’s of tea, Steves silly stories, fussing Jo-Jo, Shaun never getting what he orders in Weatherspoons, and basically an overwhelming longing to see the people that I love and think about every day. These are the people that make me what I am, that will be there for me no matter what I do and will always be on my side even when I’m wrong! People that often put me before themselves, bend over backwards to make me happy, are there in an emergency and ready to close ranks in a crisis. You are the people in my life who are irreplaceable, always ready to listen to me when I feel like I’m falling apart, and without you I don’t know who I’d be today.Running away from your life is not the answer, the reality is that I am still the same person with the same issues and problems, but now I’m just living in a foreign country without the support of family and friends. I have had a brilliant life experience and have also gained a much greater appreciation for family and friends. Oz has been fantastic; lovely weather and great beaches, but to me that’s just not worth the sacrifice of living without all of the people I love. So now, after two long years, I am ready to go home, because I miss them all so much.

Moving abroad is really hard without any of your family or friends, a loneliness that is sometimes so great that feels like its eating you. The worst part is all the things that you miss out on, like birthdays, Christmas and other family events, things which make life worth living. In the 2 years I've been gone I've missed out on lots of things, like Lisa’s 21st birthday, Sarah’s new baby and I’ve never met Will or Mi-Mi. Homesickness for me is a longing for the familiarity of home; going round moms for Sunday dinner, shopping in Birmingham with Lisa, Rachel doing my hair, dads nice cup’s of tea, Steves silly stories, fussing Jo-Jo, Shaun never getting what he orders in Weatherspoons, and basically an overwhelming longing to see the people that I love and think about every day. These are the people that make me what I am, that will be there for me no matter what I do and will always be on my side even when I’m wrong! People that often put me before themselves, bend over backwards to make me happy, are there in an emergency and ready to close ranks in a crisis. You are the people in my life who are irreplaceable, always ready to listen to me when I feel like I’m falling apart, and without you I don’t know who I’d be today.Running away from your life is not the answer, the reality is that I am still the same person with the same issues and problems, but now I’m just living in a foreign country without the support of family and friends. I have had a brilliant life experience and have also gained a much greater appreciation for family and friends. Oz has been fantastic; lovely weather and great beaches, but to me that’s just not worth the sacrifice of living without all of the people I love. So now, after two long years, I am ready to come home, because I miss them all so much.

Bless you Emma, that post came straight from your heart. Have you got plans in place to return already, or have you only just made the decision to go home?

:hug:

Sue x

Moving abroad is really hard without any of your family or friends, a loneliness that is sometimes so great that feels like its eating you. The worst part is all the things that you miss out on, like birthdays, Christmas and other family events, things which make life worth living. In the 2 years I've been gone I've missed out on lots of things, like Lisa’s 21st birthday, Sarah’s new baby and I’ve never met Will or Mi-Mi. Homesickness for me is a longing for the familiarity of home; going round moms for Sunday dinner, shopping in Birmingham with Lisa, Rachel doing my hair, dads nice cup’s of tea, Steves silly stories, fussing Jo-Jo, Shaun never getting what he orders in Weatherspoons, and basically an overwhelming longing to see the people that I love and think about every day. These are the people that make me what I am, that will be there for me no matter what I do and will always be on my side even when I’m wrong! People that often put me before themselves, bend over backwards to make me happy, are there in an emergency and ready to close ranks in a crisis. You are the people in my life who are irreplaceable, always ready to listen to me when I feel like I’m falling apart, and without you I don’t know who I’d be today.Running away from your life is not the answer, the reality is that I am still the same person with the same issues and problems, but now I’m just living in a foreign country without the support of family and friends. I have had a brilliant life experience and have also gained a much greater appreciation for family and friends. Oz has been fantastic; lovely weather and great beaches, but to me that’s just not worth the sacrifice of living without all of the people I love. So now, after two long years, I am ready to come home, because I miss them all so much.

That is so true and mirrors how I feel. Substitute some of the names and that could be me. Thank you so much for posting this! :hug: Mxxx

Guest guest22466
Moving abroad is really hard without any of your family or friends, a loneliness that is sometimes so great that feels like its eating you. The worst part is all the things that you miss out on, like birthdays, Christmas and other family events, things which make life worth living. In the 2 years I've been gone I've missed out on lots of things, like Lisa’s 21st birthday, Sarah’s new baby and I’ve never met Will or Mi-Mi. Homesickness for me is a longing for the familiarity of home; going round moms for Sunday dinner, shopping in Birmingham with Lisa, Rachel doing my hair, dads nice cup’s of tea, Steves silly stories, fussing Jo-Jo, Shaun never getting what he orders in Weatherspoons, and basically an overwhelming longing to see the people that I love and think about every day. These are the people that make me what I am, that will be there for me no matter what I do and will always be on my side even when I’m wrong! People that often put me before themselves, bend over backwards to make me happy, are there in an emergency and ready to close ranks in a crisis. You are the people in my life who are irreplaceable, always ready to listen to me when I feel like I’m falling apart, and without you I don’t know who I’d be today.Running away from your life is not the answer, the reality is that I am still the same person with the same issues and problems, but now I’m just living in a foreign country without the support of family and friends. I have had a brilliant life experience and have also gained a much greater appreciation for family and friends. Oz has been fantastic; lovely weather and great beaches, but to me that’s just not worth the sacrifice of living without all of the people I love. So now, after two long years, I am ready to go home, because I miss them all so much.

Thank you such an honest and genuine post which brought tears to my eyes and tears down my face. I can relate to all of that. I'm glad that at least I am now able to go see my family in the UK for a 3 week holiday with my son for the first time in 6 years.....cant wait...not looking forward to leaving them again though. Good Luck

Guest guest22466
Hi Ozzierock. Just read your story about your move to Australia. I was glad to read that you have thanked your parents time and again for moving there. We are in the lucky position that we have just been granted our visa to emigrate to Australia but the problem is that we have a daughter who is 15 years of age. She refuses to discuss moving to Australia. I do not know whether to put the move on hold/not move at all or move in the hope that she and my two other children aged 13 and 7 will thank me and their dad in years to come. It is a very difficult decision to make and as Lorac64 has said, you just don't know if you are making the right choices for them.

If I was you I would move asap to Australia so that your 15 year old daughter can meet new friends at school or at college as it is a harder age to slip into friendships at that age and the suburbs here in Australia are far and wide not just 10 mins away like in the UK and you need transport here so be prepared to be a taxi parent. You will never know if you have made the right choice for your family moving to Australia. The main thing is that you all come TOGETHER and if you leave to go back home you all leave TOGETHER. Parents migrate wanting to give themselves and their children a better life and you have to look at what it is that is going to make your life better by moving to Austrlia for your family. Good Luck.

• 3 months later...
Guest JOHN ODonnell

The best thing you can do is take a uk holiday....your rose tinted specs for the Uk will shatter in a short time......when you see the lack of space.....over crowding....over integration ....lack of innovation.........and growing frustration..................the choice ...IS Yours

The best thing you can do is take a uk holiday....your rose tinted specs for the Uk will shatter in a short time......when you see the lack of space.....over crowding....over integration ....lack of innovation.........and growing frustration..................the choice ...IS Yours

Alternatively your holiday may show you what depth and variety there is in UK, the beautiful countryside, the evident history, the better working conditions with the capacity for more and varied vacations, the sense of belongingness and you may never want to return to the "a*se end of the universe" (thank you Paul Keating for an excellent description!). Each to their own!

Guest guest22466
Alternatively your holiday may show you what depth and variety there is in UK, the beautiful countryside, the evident history, the better working conditions with the capacity for more and varied vacations, the sense of belongingness and you may never want to return to the "a*se end of the universe" (thank you Paul Keating for an excellent description!). Each to their own!

Yes Quoll your right ...also the genuine love help and support from loving family and friends back home...... so really its a different case for every individual. Homesickness comes in many forms and for many reasons.

Guest rayman1

Crikey John where do you live. It sounds awful! I would be out of there like a shot LOL. Sounds like Rocklea and Oxley in Brisbane. They were very rough aswell. We have returned to Yorkshire which has lovely countryside, space, wife offered 2 well paid jobs, son has got into good 6th form, buying a house with very low interest rates and affordable price and a country I am proud to call home. You are right, if people are so fed up with all the doom spin, please leave and find the paradise out there. We tried it in Australia and found it was NOT a paradise. Maybe for some, but not for all.

Guest rayman1

If the feeling is to go home, go. With the fact that you call it home must mean something. Australia maybe where you live, but home is where you want to be.

Crikey John where do you live. It sounds awful! I would be out of there like a shot LOL. Sounds like Rocklea and Oxley in Brisbane. They were very rough aswell. We have returned to Yorkshire which has lovely countryside, space, wife offered 2 well paid jobs, son has got into good 6th form, buying a house with very low interest rates and affordable price and a country I am proud to call home. You are right, if people are so fed up with all the doom spin, please leave and find the paradise out there. We tried it in Australia and found it was NOT a paradise. Maybe for some, but not for all.

Have you managed to buy a house similar to the one you left in the UK when you moved to Oz Rayman or have you had to down size. We left a big old country house also in Yorkshire that had been a labour of love over many years and with the cost of this move will no way be able to afford a place like it when we return there. However we will have a much smaller mortgage so that will be something and you can't expect to up sticks and try living at the otherside of the world without it costing you anything I guess....

Guest spacegirl73

Hi,

Emmylou when people say to me what on earth to you want to go back to the uk for? I can just tell them to read your post as it says it all!

We have been in oz for 5 years its been the biggest emotional rollercoaster I have ever ridden! I have been homesick on and off since moving here and just like you I dont feel at home its just not working, I dont feel like its paradise, we are just living in another country with the same bills and some higher than the uk! and am sick of hearing people say BUT YOU HAVE THE NICE WEATHER!! Its not all about the weather is it?

We too have been let down with the Health System and also chose to pay for a private school for our son as the experience we had with a public school was appauling, he has learning difficulties and is ADD he was ignored and shouted at and his year one teacher labeled him as severely autistic! He left the school with no confidence whatsoever and had no extra support given! Since his private education he is doing fantastic as better provisions are made for extra support, the UK schools have a better system in place for providing extra support for pupils who need it.

We are not sure when we will return "Home" as the Job front in the UK is not good, but one day we will.

Its hard to focus on the positives when all you can see and feel are the negatives, its been an experience for us and we have had many good times, Australia is a beautiful country and obviously suits some people just not us, good luck with whatever you decide to do

Hi,

Emmylou when people say to me what on earth to you want to go back to the uk for? I can just tell them to read your post as it says it all!

We have been in oz for 5 years its been the biggest emotional rollercoaster I have ever ridden! I have been homesick on and off since moving here and just like you I dont feel at home its just not working, I dont feel like its paradise, we are just living in another country with the same bills and some higher than the uk! and am sick of hearing people say BUT YOU HAVE THE NICE WEATHER!! Its not all about the weather is it?

We too have been let down with the Health System and also chose to pay for a private school for our son as the experience we had with a public school was appauling, he has learning difficulties and is ADD he was ignored and shouted at and his year one teacher labeled him as severely autistic! He left the school with no confidence whatsoever and had no extra support given! Since his private education he is doing fantastic as better provisions are made for extra support, the UK schools have a better system in place for providing extra support for pupils who need it.

We are not sure when we will return "Home" as the Job front in the UK is not good, but one day we will.

Its hard to focus on the positives when all you can see and feel are the negatives, its been an experience for us and we have had many good times, Australia is a beautiful country and obviously suits some people just not us, good luck with whatever you decide to do

The sun is shining today-so we must all be happy then- I want my children to grow up to be interested in more than the sunshine-it drives you maaaad!

People look at you as though your crazy don't they.:arghh:

Guest uknozgirl

Have u been to the Uk recently?

Maybe you need a trip back....

I was so homesick and often wondered had i done the right thing? But a trip bk confirmed that!! There s so much more the kids can do here, whats a few years out of your life? you can live in the uk anytime!!

Enjoy the sun as its going soon, and if you go bk u may only see it now n then!!!

:wink:

Have u been to the Uk recently?

Maybe you need a trip back....

I was so homesick and often wondered had i done the right thing? But a trip bk confirmed that!! There s so much more the kids can do here, whats a few years out of your life? you can live in the uk anytime!!

Enjoy the sun as its going soon, and if you go bk u may only see it now n then!!!

:wink:

I completely agree, I have just returned from 10 day break (not holiday) in the UK and wanted to come back after 3 days.

This is a great thread because obviously a lot of people feel the same way as the OP (Emmy).

For some it works and for some it doesnt, if you are very family oriented and know you will miss them, its 10 times worse when you emmigrate, likewise for friends, etc. Nothing can compensate for this loss if you cant gleem enough out of australia in the first place.

The jigsaw pieces have to fit for you to enjoy it over here, work has to be acceptable, quality of life at least the same, bills bearable, kids happiness, your happiness, if this was maths that equation would on the wall in Good Will Hunting.

If they fit and the equation can be solved you will prosper in this great country, if you get your maths wrong, there is always a light, just a less expensive one back in the UK.

Try it, if its not for you there is nothing to be ashamed of. I know a couple who came out here and left before there container arrived :arghh:

One things for certain though, PIZ is a great place for advice and friends. We live in Coomera Waters and if you want to meet up, I will buy you a beer! (I also support liverpool :spinny:)

Sean

I completely agree, I have just returned from 10 day break (not holiday) in the UK and wanted to come back after 3 days.

This is a great thread because obviously a lot of people feel the same way as the OP (Emmy).

For some it works and for some it doesnt, if you are very family oriented and know you will miss them, its 10 times worse when you emmigrate, likewise for friends, etc. Nothing can compensate for this loss if you cant gleem enough out of australia in the first place.

The jigsaw pieces have to fit for you to enjoy it over here, work has to be acceptable, quality of life at least the same, bills bearable, kids happiness, your happiness, if this was maths that equation would on the wall in Good Will Hunting.

If they fit and the equation can be solved you will prosper in this great country, if you get your maths wrong, there is always a light, just a less expensive one back in the UK.

Try it, if its not for you there is nothing to be ashamed of. I know a couple who came out here and left before there container arrived :arghh:

One things for certain though, PIZ is a great place for advice and friends. We live in Coomera Waters and if you want to meet up, I will buy you a beer! (I also support liverpool :spinny:)

Sean

Wheres PIZ , have you relocated to Zambia lol

Guest spacegirl73

We went back to the UK for Xmas 08 and from the moment I stepped off the plane I loved every minute!! OH dont get me started about Xmas! LOL

Yes it was cold so I put on a coat, gloves and a scarf! Our youngest was 8 months and had never seen any of her family and vice versa that was worth every penny spent (which was the cost of a car!) That in itself made me realise that us living at the other side of the world was so wrong, the difference between our sons relationship with his grandparents compared other grandkids was more than obvious, seeing that was like a dagger through my heart and the guilt I have felt ever since.

Yes there are plenty of negatives, but I think people paint a blacker picture of the UK than it actually is, people are entitled to their opinion.

On the agenda this weekend errrrm let me think Beach, Beer and Barbie!! LOL :tongue:

Archived