telephone and internet providers

Ratchet

Im totally rubbish with things like this. Can anyone recommend which provider is better without breaking the bank. I need phone and internet setting up. we're in melbourne.

Some connection company were trying to talk to me about it the other day, but im not signing up to anything over the phone

have just been onto a few website but all are asking for my fone number to see if they serve that area...................thats no good to me, ive got no phone:huh:

oh help please:wacko:

We use iinet/westnet which costs around $79 for 5/10gb + phone or $89 for 10/20gb + phone or you can buy naked dsl (dependant on area) which is cheaper around $59 as there is no line rental to pay. With iinet you also get the added bonus of free weekly Premiership live/catchup matches, free radio streams UK & Aus, free itunes downloads and free TV catchup which allows me to watch Ashes to Ashes anytime especially if I miss it on Monday nights and none of it effects your monthly quota.

One word of advice friends tell me Telstra (bigpond) customer services are total poop so if you have a problem with your service you will be hanging on the phone a while trying to get through to George in India, but if you live rural then you may have no choice but to use them.

Guest gonefishing

We have the Optus fusion $99 package because it offers what we want and because Westnet was not available to us. Westnet seems to have very good overall reviews but the whole research process was a complete waste of time for us as we can't get them.

I would say first decide what you want from the package first, then find out who can supply what you want by phoning them and then decide.

For $99 this gives us 20GB download, includes calls anywhere in Australia to both landline and mobiles and also includes phone line rental. We have PAYG mobiles and only use them for receiving calls and the odd text. I think the Optus package is good value as we download a full tv series most months (do this instead of paying out for foxtel or ausstar), use the Internet everyday, for work, facebook, email, webcam etc. and make lots of calls to mobiles.

Also, have had no problems with Optus's service or customer support. Only issue we had is they didn't turn up on the day the was supposed to connect us. Don't think that was their fault as it was a Telstra engineer that connected us 2 days later so I can guess who to blame for that one.

You also want to be aware of what they do if you exceed your usage on braodband. Optus charge 15c for each Megabyte over the limit so if you get carried away and go 1GB over the top that's an additional $150 for the month. Needless to say I monitor our usage so we do not exceed it. Others just reduce the speed and do not charge.

Hope that helps

Nigel

thanks for the replies. i want to be able to use the net for emails, come on here, general use, but i also use skype for calling home and the parents like to use the cams to see us when we call, so connection need to deal with that

it appears we wont be able to get cable connection in the area we're moving to.

will continue to explore options noted here

kelly

We have the Optus fusion $99 package because it offers what we want and because Westnet was not available to us. Westnet seems to have very good overall reviews but the whole research process was a complete waste of time for us as we can't get them.

I would say first decide what you want from the package first, then find out who can supply what you want by phoning them and then decide.

For $99 this gives us 20GB download, includes calls anywhere in Australia to both landline and mobiles and also includes phone line rental. We have PAYG mobiles and only use them for receiving calls and the odd text. I think the Optus package is good value as we download a full tv series most months (do this instead of paying out for foxtel or ausstar), use the Internet everyday, for work, facebook, email, webcam etc. and make lots of calls to mobiles.

Also, have had no problems with Optus's service or customer support. Only issue we had is they didn't turn up on the day the was supposed to connect us. Don't think that was their fault as it was a Telstra engineer that connected us 2 days later so I can guess who to blame for that one.

You also want to be aware of what they do if you exceed your usage on braodband. Optus charge 15c for each Megabyte over the limit so if you get carried away and go 1GB over the top that's an additional $150 for the month. Needless to say I monitor our usage so we do not exceed it. Others just reduce the speed and do not charge.

Hope that helps

Nigel

I use Optus but pay $129 for 30 gig as I d/l a lot of programmes from the BBC. also if you go over there is no charge on a a slow down. Have been with them a long time and had no problems. Telstra crap!

Westnet gets my vote, they have the most reasonably priced net deals and I changed my phone over to them as well because 1) you can get package deal discounts and 2) I cannot stand Telstra. Telstra is one of the worst companies ever, they charge like a wounded bull, lay off staff in the thousands, claim they are making no money as a company and then post a record profit.

Westnet has been absolutely great for customer service. I pay less than $50 a month for 10 gig peak / 15 gig off-peak and have the option of choosing whether to pay more for the excess or to just get the slow down.

Archived