New Changes to STATE SPONSORED MIGRATION

Guest highlander

We have lodged Under State Sponsored 176 am I corecct that the Austarlian authorities have a set quota of visas they have to issue July-June

if so the question is will that quota be met with applicants lodging under ENS, And occupations on the CSL ? if not how quickly will group 5 be processed ?

any ideas on this ?

WJK

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I've just finished reading all the posts in the this thread and feel sick to the pit of my stomach. Every change that has been made to the skilled visa programme since Sept 2007 has had a direct effect on us and just as I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel another bombshell! We completed our meds on the instruction of our c/o at the beginning of this month and we have just received confirmation that they have arrived in Sydney awaiting customs clearance. Yesterday, my oh and I were talking about the prospect of having our visa within the next month or so and now this, when is this nightmare going to end I ask myself. I feel like throwing the towel in and saying enough is enough and concentrating on our lives here and making the most of what we have, rather than wondering what we could have should Australia decide they really do want us!

If it wasn't for the £'s we'd spent getting to this point I really do think I would be saying this is it no more, I really don't know just how much more of this I can take, really do feel like I've reached rock bottom now, once again the rug has been pulled from under our feet.

I am sitting here trying to get over the flu and have just blubber my heart out!! We are waiting for SS, we thought our visa would be granted over the next few months, so we have had police checks, medicals, sold the house(living with parents) and last week we both handed in our notice at work(good well payed jobs!!). All I can think now is what the hell have we done!!! We have flights booked for 28th dec as we were advised by our agent that worst case scenario we could get WHV until our visa came through. Now with these changes I don't know what to do, I can't stop crying and don't know how to tell my hubby, from the looks of it we are not on the CSL so does this mean we are looking at 2012?? Please anyone any advice??

Hi Lindsey,

One of my friends has just gone down the WHV route and has been recently sponsored and got a 2 year extension so it's defo a possibility. I've already taken my WHV back in 2002, so thats for sure a way forward for you guys!

Well I've just finished reading all the posts in the this thread and feel sick to the pit of my stomach. Every change that has been made to the skilled visa programme since Sept 2007 has had a direct effect on us and just as I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel another bombshell! We completed our meds on the instruction of our c/o at the beginning of this month and we have just received confirmation that they have arrived in Sydney awaiting customs clearance. Yesterday, my oh and I were talking about the prospect of having our visa within the next month or so and now this, when is this nightmare going to end I ask myself. I feel like throwing the towel in and saying enough is enough and concentrating on our lives here and making the most of what we have, rather than wondering what we could have should Australia decide they really do want us!

If it wasn't for the £'s we'd spent getting to this point I really do think I would be saying this is it no more, I really don't know just how much more of this I can take, really do feel like I've reached rock bottom now, once again the rug has been pulled from under our feet.

Sebbers

we like you have police checks met and Medicals deliverd to Sydney on Monday per request of CO We all feel devistated by this news

we hoped to be on our way January

seems so unfair after waiting 4 months for SS and also waiting for TRA/CO/ Etc and now this

if this is your dream you have to keep positive my close Family are now Oz Citizens and we so much wanted to be with them all we can now do is hope and wait again

do not give up all we can do is support each other through PIO and hope we all get to live our dreams

WJK

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan and Others

Q11 My application does not fall into one of the priority categories. When can I expect to have my application finalised?

If your nominated occupation is not on the CSL and you have applied for an offshore GSM visa or intend to apply for an offshore GSM before the end of 2009, it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before the end of 2012.

If your nominated occupation is not on the CSL and you applied for an onshore GSM visa or intend to apply for an onshore GSM before the end of 2009, it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before the end of 2011.

Your ‘nominated occupation’ is the occupation you nominated at the time you lodged your application and cannot be changed.

The above is the shock announcement, it seems to me.

Shouldn't the Minister be asked to explain to Parliament how & why it is that all of his earlier predctions since mid-December 2008 have proved to be totally and hopelessly inaccurate? I would expect that enough people will lobby Dr Sharman Stone about this (the Shadow Minister for Immigration) that Dr Stone will be likely to table some hard questions for Minister Evans to answer.

Frankly, I think it is outrageous that applicants who incur costs in good faith and who have reasonable expectations that their visas will be granted imminently are treated in such a disrespectful manner.

I agree with Alan Collett and I think this new turn of events calls the credibility and integrity of Australia's skilled migration program into question and with it the credibility of the current Minister for Immi.

What will Australia do in a couple of years' time when they suddenly need more skilled migrants but those whom they wish to attract tell Australia, "Sorry, mate. Your country has proven that it cannot do its research accurately, it makes false promises based on "research" which turns out to have been nothing but wild guesses, you have swindled hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of dollars out of people who treated you with the utmost good faith but lost their money all the same. Nope. Australia cannot be trusted and I will not do business with you. Your skils shortage is your own problem because many other countries would not dream of treating another country's skilled citizens as abominably as Australia has seen fit to do ever since mid-December 2008."

Suddenly New Zealand would seem highly attractive to me, for a start. So would parts of the Middle East, so would parts of the EU and beyond the EU but still in Europe. I think Australia is taking a risky chance with its notion that it is the most attractive destination in the world.

The Minister's changes should (in my view) only impact those whose applications are lodged after the date of his Direction, in the same manner that (say) MODL changes do not affect visa applications already lodged.

Agreed 100%.

I shall be writing to the Minister expressing my views, but I fear it will be of little consequence - he has a wider constituency to consider, and (being cynical) a political end in mind.

I would be lobbying the Shadow Minister and the Commonwealth Ombudsman as well. I would be going in hard on the question of wasted costs and wasted time & effort by the applicants concerned. If I were an applicant, I would complain to all three.

As an aside, I sympathise with DIAC staff at the sharp end of visa processing, particularly those at the ASPC and the BSPC who are no doubt struggling with the practical consequences of the tinkerman Minister.

So do I, particularly at this time when their own jobs are at risk.

I fear much of the backlog - resulting in the Minister's various directives and policy announcements - is being caused by large numbers of student visaholders who are now seeking permanent residency visas under the skilled program.

Are they so inept, incompetent and disorganised that they do not have a reliable idea of the outcome of the Student visa program before they let the prospective Students into Australia and then proceed to relieve the Students of shed loads of money in the first place? Surely to goodness it has not taken until September 2009 to figure out the visa-demand consequences of welcoming these Students 2, 3 and more years ago?

Going back to the quote from the FAQ, what evidence is there that the Minister's latest guesses might be right this time? It seems he has been wrong for the last 9 months at least? I think DIAC need to produce the source-material which has led to the Minister's extraordinary U-turn today.

Concerned

Gill

Guest Lindseyf

Thanks manix, at this point it is the best option, we have taken a risk and it has back fired. So unless we give up the best option is to get over there and give it our best shot, it just makes it scarier than it was if we had our visa, like others said I feel sick and angry that someone can mess with peoples lives at the drop of a hat

Jeesh and I havent even started my visa yet. All this is puting me off BIG TIME.

I did read the following last week though which may benefit some people that are not on the current CSL list and were therefore worrying how they would obtain a visa.....

Earlier this year, the Australian Government released 4,000 off-list nominations nationwide, which are informally known as 'free kicks'. The off-list nominations are divided equally between the six states and two territories that make up Australia, with each state and territory given 500 of these places to help provide Australian skilled visas and fill gaps in the skilled workforce.

What are 'free kicks'?

Each Australian state and territory has a list of occupations that they can nominate for an Australian Skilled Sponsored Visa (subclass 176) or a Regional Sponsored Visa (subclass 475). Previously, the states and territories were restricted to only being able to nominate occupations on these lists, but with the introduction of off-list state sponsorship, they now have the freedom to nominate 500 'off-list' skilled workers a year.

These 'free kicks' give every state and territory the ability to nominate a certain number of off-list skilled workers for an Australian skilled worker, although the worker must still have an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL).

How are these 'free kicks' allocated?

Applications for the 500 free kicks are assessed on an individual basis, and each state is free to set their own criteria. The 100 point pass-mark on the Australian visa points test still has to be reached for the permanent visa, but it is now possible to be nominated in an occupation that is not listed as in demand.

Importantly for the Australian skilled visa applicant, the state or territory nomination means a quicker route through the immigration process at a time when many migrants have had their general skilled migration applications pushed to the bottom of the pile.

What is the attitude of the various Australian states and territories to 'free kicks' and off-list state sponsorship?

Each state and territory has approached the off-list state sponsorship differently. Western Australia is one state that has a proactive policy towards the off-list nomination initiative, being enthusiastic and transparent in its approach.

Visa Bureau spoke recently to Genelle Surace, a senior migration officer from the Western Australian Government, who helped answer some questions about their policies towards off-list nomination.

Western Australia is one state which is embracing

off-list state nomination as a "fantastic tool".

What has been Western Australia’s policy towards the 500 off-list nomination initiative?

Genelle Surace:
"Western Australia has always had a very open policy towards migration, and this is reflected in our attitude towards the off-list nomination. The off-list nominations are a fantastic tool to attract people to Western Australia, who may not be on our list for State Sponsorship, yet still have skills and experience that are sought after by Western Australian employers. It also allows people who have family in Western Australia to apply for State Sponsorship, and under the current guidelines for priority processing from DIAC, have their visa applications processed."

WA has the fastest growing population than any other state – could this be a result from a more aggressive approach to skilled migration?

Genelle Surace:
"Part of the answer to this is attributed to our migration promotions, but with an enviable climate, great job opportunities and long term prospects, Western Australia is a great all-round choice for people to start their new lives in Australia."

Has WA had a good response to the off-list nomination, and has it been encouraged to nominate skills that are not found on the Critical Skills List to give other skilled migrant hopefuls a chance?

Genelle Surace:
"Western Australia has had a good response to the off-list nomination, and is nominating occupations that are not on the
Critical Skills List
(CSL). When assessing an application for off-list nomination, greater consideration is given to applicants who:

• Have a job or offer of employment in Western Australia in a SOL occupation (must be related to the nominated occupation);
  • Have established links to the State – having lived, studied or have support in Western Australia;

• Demonstrate that their occupation is in demand in Western Australia; OR

• Are prepared to live and work in a regional area of the State.

Off-list nominations will be assessed on a case-by-case basis and the ability of the applicant to meet Western Australia’s workforce skill shortages."

However, while Western Australia have taken a very open, positive attitude towards off-list state nomination, the case isn't the same for all states and territories. Look out for a follow-up blog in the next few days where we discuss the attitudes of the other states and territories and the reasons why some choose not to use their 500 'free kicks' at all.

So still a wait but gets round the CSL list a bit. ope it helps some poeple.

Jo x

Guest Impatient
Earlier this year, the Australian Government released 4,000 off-list nominations nationwide, which are informally known as 'free kicks'. The off-list nominations are divided equally between the six states and two territories that make up Australia, with each state and territory given 500 of these places to help provide Australian skilled visas and fill gaps in the skilled workforce.

Surely Off list nominations are still non-CSL SS 176s and would be prioritised accordingly???

OMG, I am gutted. We have had our case officer since 17th Aug 09, had our meds finalised, police checks uploaded, everything ready to go, now this. I cannot believe the Australian Government can treat us so appallingly. I am on MODL, with a SS & have just gone practically to the bottom of the pile.

The only thing I can say positively is, they change their mind so bloody often, we may be top of the list in six months.

How unprofessional is that system that cannot keep on track for more than a handful of months at a time.

SORT YOURSELVES OUT!!!!!

Tracey

Guest Impatient

Interesting point about legal action. Does not affect me, but where DIAC has instructed people to proceed with spending money on meds/police checks etc, subsequently initiating a change that requires these to be repeated, there has got to be some sort of case for getting some money back.

I personally think (and hope for all of you in this position) that someone will look at this quickly and then realise their direct culpability and decide to push through the visas for people that they have instructed to do meds etc. Will not help me or those that front loaded at their own risk, but we shall see. Hope it happens, if only to watch the embarrassing climb-down.

Guest Magnetic6

Tracey, it's a disgrace isn't it? The only other positive thing i can think off is that the exchange rate is rubbish and the housing market here in the UK is crap,so maybe now isn't the best time to move. Though i know this will be of no consolation. It's the uncertainty of the whole visa process now, a game of poker seems to have better odds than dealing with DIAC.

Natalie x

Interesting point about legal action. Does not affect me, but where DIAC has instructed people to proceed with spending money on meds/police checks etc, subsequently initiating a change that requires these to be repeated, there has got to be some sort of case for getting some money back.

I personally think (and hope for all of you in this position) that someone will look at this quickly and then realise their direct culpability and decide to push through the visas for people that they have instructed to do meds etc. Will not help me or those that front loaded at their own risk, but we shall see. Hope it happens, if only to watch the embarrassing climb-down.

Nice thought but the exact same thing happened 6 months ago and they have just done the same again!

Guest Tamarama

This is so so frustratingly unfair.....We have to take action...

I plan to write to the state who sponsored me and demand an explanation on now where my visa stands and where upon IELTS , Meds and police record will stand in 2012.

I suggest others affected do the same -we deserve to be heard.......

Guest Magnetic6

I agree and people power does work. There are over 25,000 members of this site,even if only a fifth wrote to the minister it would be a start. Maybe if one of the computer bods could draft a letter that we could print off and send;it might be a couple of hundred letters dropping through the ministers doorstep each morning as a little reminder of our disgust. It might not achieve anything but might make us feel like we've done something positive to get our voice heard.

Natalie x

I too have just finished reading all the posts. And wether or not it has'nt sunk in yet, I feel suprisingly calm. Every single change they have made has affected us, so maybe we have had enough. My first thought was forget about all the money we have spent, put it down to a bad experience. We are going to have a long hard think about it. When oh occ was taken off the csl list we were told if we apply for ss we could be there within a year,so we spent another couple of hundred quid and did that, but now............... :sad:

Guest Impatient
I plan to write to the state who sponsored me and demand an explanation on now where my visa stands and where upon IELTS , Meds and police record will stand in 2012.

T, no point writing to the State as they have no part in the visa application or changes that have been made. They just agreed to sponsor you to DIAC. I fear that DIAC and Australia as a whole will care little about this predicament.

Crap day, looking at Rightmove in the UK now...

dont let a gang of hooligan crackpot beaureaucrats spoil your views of this country, the people here are great, the government is in no way representative of the the peoples views and wishes.

I find it amazing that the gov and the media here gives a **** less about people. they should be ashamed. They have shown flagrant disregard for human rights more often than not. All this crap letting loads of boat people in is just a ploy to look compassionate. PIGS ARSE.........

And by the way, when people speak of there hardships, there losses and suffering and what there family has gone through, It sure as hell aint whinging......

My wife and children do not deserve this treatment......... No ones family does.....

Guest Tamarama

Imp'

Its worth a try rather than doing nothing we have the right to be heard and as Magnetic6 said there at least 25 thousand on this site a lot of us have been affected.

As George Lombard says "I don't think each state goverment will take too kindly to losing thousands of migrants,"

Lets give it a try.......

Great idea, I donnt know how but can some one get hold of a ministers details ( electronic ) so we can vent our anger/disgust ???, if we do it as a whole it may be of use .

Regards Iain

Guest Impatient

T, see what you are getting at now. Yep, with SA so keen to get people in, I wonder how they will appreciate the huge slowdown. Surely they need more than the pitiful trades on the CSL if they are to continue to populate the region???

Some details from the official "Report on Migration Program 2008-09" (Financial year to 30 June 2009)

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/pdf/report-on-migration-program-2008-09.pdf

- At 30 June 2009, the Migration Program outcome was 171,318. This is 0.3 per cent below

the planning level.

- The Skill Stream – 114,777 places were delivered (0.2 per cent below the planning

level)

- 40.3 per cent of Principals in the Skill Stream had an occupation on the Critical Skills List

(CSL). The CSL was effective from 1 January 2009 to target skills in critical need across a

number of industry sectors.

- General Skilled Migration had an outcome of 69,153 against a planning level of 70,220. This

is 8,847 places below the 2007-08 outcome of 78,000. This category has a planning level of

65,100 in 2009-10.

- The Skill Stream outcome for 2008-09 was 114,777 (65,818 offshore and 48,959 onshore) and

0.2 per cent below the planning level of 115,000.

- The initial planning level for 2008-09 was set at 190,300, an increase of 31,500 places over

2007-08. The planning level was decreased on 16 March 2009 in response to the global

economic crisis to 171,800, through a 14 per cent reduction to the permanent skilled migration

program intake from 133,500 to 115,000. There was a continued emphasis on permanent

applications in the following order:

1. Employer sponsorship;

2. State or Territory government sponsorship;

3. An occupation on the Critical Skills List (CSL).

4. An occupation on the MODL.

These target groups accounted for 80.3 per cent of the Migration Program outcome in 2008-09

compared to 72.0 per cent in 2007-08. The priority processing measures announced in mid

December 2008 came into effect from 1 January 2009. For 2008-09, 41.1 per cent of Skill

Stream outcomes had an occupation on the CSL.

- Demand in the Skill Stream remained strong in the 2008-09 Program year. 163,009 lodgements

were received in the Skill Stream in 2008-09. This is a 5.5 per cent increase on the 2007-08

Program year. 133,601 clients remain in the pipeline as at 30 June 2009.

- The Skilled Independent outcome in 2008-09 was 44,594, 0.4 per cent above the planning

level of 44,405 places.

- Demand for the Skilled Independent visa appears to have fallen in 2008-09 with an average

lodgement rate of around 5,100 per month compared to an average of 6,700 per month in

2007-08.

- State/Territory Sponsored Migration had an outcome of 14,055. This was 0.3 per cent below

the planning level of 14,010 and an increase of 86.7 per cent on the 2007-08 program year.

- Demand in this category increased 50.0 per cent in 2008-09 (from 12,836 lodgements in 2007-

08 to 19,251 lodgements in 2008-09).

Great idea, I donnt know how but can some one get hold of a ministers details ( electronic ) so we can vent our anger/disgust ???, if we do it as a whole it may be of use .

Regards Iain

It would only get deleted. I know of families that asked for elp and were outright threatend. surely they would not listen. You have to expose this in the media somehow or take them to court. If they had any scrupples none of this would have ever happend. Dont think a complaint to the ones orchestrating this will be heard or considered.

On another note, employers in my area are still struggling to recruit skilled personnel and there are major projects starting. The skills shortages are still here.

Archived