New Changes to STATE SPONSORED MIGRATION

Guest highlander

Guest mikka711
Dear All, received this email today from a migration agent - not ours but I subscribe to their newsletter. Might be of help to cheer people up:

DIAC Processing Changes - Some Clarity

DIAC have again amended their processing priorities for GSM visa applications. Information relating to these changes can be found at:

Having studied these changes we will now attempt to clarify so that you may understand them more clearly.

Based on the information provided it would appear that the processing priority changes will impact as follows:

Subclass 175 visa applications with state/territory sponsorship - these applications will be minimally affected by these changes and some slight increase in processing times should be anticipated.

Subclass 176 visa applications with state/territory sponsorship - As above.

Subclass 175 visa applications with no state/territory sponsorship - DIAC are now advising that processing times may extend to end 2012, irrespective of how long an application has already been in the pipeline.

Some important facts to consider:

1. The GSM program for 2009-10 is set at 108,100 places (this means 108,100 primary applicants).

2. The CSL list currently consists of 41 occupations.

3. 75% of occupations on the CSL are Health, Allied Health or Professional Engineer based. All these occupations have historically had a lower than required take up rate under the GSM program (the main reason that they are on the CSL).

Given the factors at 1 - 3 above it becomes readily apparent that the bulk of the 108,100 places in the GSM visa program year will not be filled by listed CSL occupations. Some will be filled by applicants with employer sponsored visas but undoubtedly the bulk will be via the state/territory sponsorship arrangement.

In Summary

Clients who have applications lodged and have state/territory sponsorship should not see significant change to processing times for their applications. This information does not allow for additional processing times that will occur due to increased volume of state/territory sponsored applications that DIAC have and will continue to receive.

For clients who are not yet at the visa application lodgment stage, we would again reiterate that you should be actively considering some form of state/territory sponsorship as an integral part of your visa application strategy. (Spending 2 years in a "non preferred" state may be more suitable than spending 3+ years in the UK waiting for an application to finalise).

Hope this helps. Kelly :biggrin:

Hmm, that is intriguing. I wonder how many other agents will concur with this clarification? Will bring it up with our agent when we have a proper talk with him on Monday.

Thanks for posting Kelly:v_SPIN:

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler
Hmm, that is intriguing. I wonder how many other agents will concur with this clarification? Will bring it up with our agent when we have a proper talk with him on Monday.

Thanks for posting Kelly:v_SPIN:

Hi Mikka

T be honest, I think Alan Collett of Go Matilda is the one giving really reliable advice about this issue. Alan has said:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - NewsSkilled Migration: Processing Priority Changes - Context and Comment

Author: Alan CollettDate: Friday, September 25, 2009Following the unexpected changes to the processing of the skilled migration program a couple of days ago some further details are emerging.

It appears that individuals most affected by the Ministerial Direction are those that have secured sponsorship from a State or Territory Government for one of the skilled visas, but who do not have an occupation on the Critical Skills List. Such individuals could reasonably have anticipated quick processing of their skilled visa applications under the old list of priorities; they are now number 5 on the Minister's list, and guidance that is presently published by the Department of Immigration (see the weblink below) indicates such applications will not be finalised before the end of 2012.

We think this is astonishing. State and Territory Governments identify skilled occupations that are in shortage in their jurisdiction, and publish their own lists so that they can sponsor individuals to meet their local needs. If that occupation is not on the Federal Critical Skills List the Immigration Minister is now indicating that in spite of the locally identified need the State or Territory will have to wait some 2 to 3 years for the sponsored individual to be in a position to migrate to Australia.

This is clearly nonsense, and indeed we understand that no consultation took place between the Minister and the States and Territories before the change in processing priorities was announced.

We predict some interesting behind the scenes discussions in the next few days and weeks - keep a watch on Go Matilda News for more information as and when it becomes known.

We also have some details as to skilled migration application numbers:

1. Permanent employer sponsored migration under the Employer Nomination Scheme and the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme is consuming an increasing number of visas, which is almost certainly a consequence of the additional hurdles and burdens introduced under the long term temporary residency employer sponsored subclass 457 visa, allied to a higher number of individuals becoming eligible for the grant of visas under ENS and RSMS once they have worked in Australia for a couple of years on 457 visas.

Such visas are priority group number 1, and with a finite number of visas available under the skilled migration program are displacing applications by those who are lower in the pecking order.

2. State and Territory sponsored applications with CSL occupations (priority group 2 under the Minister's new guidance) are being assessed at the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre within 10 days of the application being received or the sponsorship being notified (whichever is later).

3. The ASPC is working towards a similar 10 day processing standard for priority category 3 applications, family sponsored CSL applications. They anticipate achieving this in the next fortnight.

4. Other CSL based applications (priority group 4): the ASPC is currently processing such applications and anticipates meeting the 10 day service standard in quarter 1 of 2010. This reflects our experience, as we have received communications from the ASPC progressing priority group 4 applications since the Minister's announcement.

5. The timeline for the processing of priority group 5 applications (State and Territory sponsored, non CSL occupations) is largely contingent on the number of employer sponsored permanent residency visas (ie ENS and RSMS).

We will publish more information regarding these changes on Go Matilda News as soon as it becomes known to us.

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

I suspect that a lot of agents are trying to talk the situation up as much as possible because if prospective migrants cannot be encouraged to start and continue with the process, the agents' income will be badly affected and some of them will not survive.

Cheers

Gill

Guest southerngent

I think alot of people/agents have taken this out of context.

I have read it a few times now,

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf

And to me it reads like this

Priority

1. employer/regional sponsor

2. CSL

3. CSL

4. CSL

5. S/S non CSL

Q17 I already have a State and Territory nomination, how am I affected?

All GSM applications, other than a Subclass 476, 883 and 887 are subject to the priority processing arrangements under the Minister’s Direction. Applicants who are nominated by a State or Territory and have nominated an occupation on the CSL receive the second highest priority. Applicants who are nominated by a State/Territory and have not nominated an occupation on the CSL will receive lower priority

So in a nutshell we`ve moved from being processed alongside CSL to just below them,

So lets put the 2012 conspiracy theories to one side and get back to reality..

Meds on Monday ;)

Guest mikka711
Hi Mikka

T be honest, I think Alan Collett of Go Matilda is the one giving really reliable advice about this issue. Alan has said:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - NewsSkilled Migration: Processing Priority Changes - Context and Comment

Author: Alan CollettDate: Friday, September 25, 2009Following the unexpected changes to the processing of the skilled migration program a couple of days ago some further details are emerging.

It appears that individuals most affected by the Ministerial Direction are those that have secured sponsorship from a State or Territory Government for one of the skilled visas, but who do not have an occupation on the Critical Skills List. Such individuals could reasonably have anticipated quick processing of their skilled visa applications under the old list of priorities; they are now number 5 on the Minister's list, and guidance that is presently published by the Department of Immigration (see the weblink below) indicates such applications will not be finalised before the end of 2012.

We think this is astonishing. State and Territory Governments identify skilled occupations that are in shortage in their jurisdiction, and publish their own lists so that they can sponsor individuals to meet their local needs. If that occupation is not on the Federal Critical Skills List the Immigration Minister is now indicating that in spite of the locally identified need the State or Territory will have to wait some 2 to 3 years for the sponsored individual to be in a position to migrate to Australia.

This is clearly nonsense, and indeed we understand that no consultation took place between the Minister and the States and Territories before the change in processing priorities was announced.

We predict some interesting behind the scenes discussions in the next few days and weeks - keep a watch on Go Matilda News for more information as and when it becomes known.

We also have some details as to skilled migration application numbers:

1. Permanent employer sponsored migration under the Employer Nomination Scheme and the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme is consuming an increasing number of visas, which is almost certainly a consequence of the additional hurdles and burdens introduced under the long term temporary residency employer sponsored subclass 457 visa, allied to a higher number of individuals becoming eligible for the grant of visas under ENS and RSMS once they have worked in Australia for a couple of years on 457 visas.

Such visas are priority group number 1, and with a finite number of visas available under the skilled migration program are displacing applications by those who are lower in the pecking order.

2. State and Territory sponsored applications with CSL occupations (priority group 2 under the Minister's new guidance) are being assessed at the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre within 10 days of the application being received or the sponsorship being notified (whichever is later).

3. The ASPC is working towards a similar 10 day processing standard for priority category 3 applications, family sponsored CSL applications. They anticipate achieving this in the next fortnight.

4. Other CSL based applications (priority group 4): the ASPC is currently processing such applications and anticipates meeting the 10 day service standard in quarter 1 of 2010. This reflects our experience, as we have received communications from the ASPC progressing priority group 4 applications since the Minister's announcement.

5. The timeline for the processing of priority group 5 applications (State and Territory sponsored, non CSL occupations) is largely contingent on the number of employer sponsored permanent residency visas (ie ENS and RSMS).

We will publish more information regarding these changes on Go Matilda News as soon as it becomes known to us.

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

I suspect that a lot of agents are trying to talk the situation up as much as possible because if prospective migrants cannot be encouraged to start and continue with the process, the agents' income will be badly affected and some of them will not survive.

Cheers

Gill

That would explain the conflicting interpretations of the length of the new processing times. No probs. I will be putting the predictions doing the rounds to my agent next week. We may or may not go to Australia... who knows???? Not sure how much I care at the moment:twitcy: Thanks Gill:v_SPIN:

Guest lazybass

Hi we are in the same positon oldest son ready to leave school next year i'm also in childcare, state sponsered since July,had a CO since August and everything sent in meds and pcc this week, we keep hearing all different things on this site and other forum sites ranging from a delay of months to having to wait untill 2012 or agent doesn't think we have much hope within the next year we don't know what to believe!!

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi we are in the same positon oldest son ready to leave school next year i'm also in childcare, state sponsered since July,had a CO since August and everything sent in meds and pcc this week, we keep hearing all different things on this site and other forum sites ranging from a delay of months to having to wait untill 2012 or agent doesn't think we have much hope within the next year we don't know what to believe!!

HI lazybass

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

My feeling is that nobody knows anything for sure at this stage but that some guesses are better than others.

Alan Collett is a very careful commentator. If you read right the way through this thread, when the news first broke on Wednesday Alan was sceptical about whether DIAC were really changing anything much.

However once he had spoken with DIAC in more depth and found out that there aren't thousands of CSL applications but there have been and continue to be many more employer sponsored PR applications than DIAC had expected at the start of 2009, the new timescale preictions then make sense.

DIAC's original expectations are described in the table below:

Migration Program Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

The wretched thing doesn't say when it was compiled. It is hopeless to publish figures without the bluddy date on them!

Better stats are provided here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/pdf/migration-agent-stats-jan-mar-2009.pdf

Hopefuly they will publish the April to June figures soon.

Cheers

Gill

Guest spurious
You seem to imagine that applications for visas can be made free of charge? If this were so then I would agree with many of your contentions.

Gill, I'm well aware of how much visa applications cost, including all the other associated costs involved. I'm also aware of how, having spent lots of money for these things, potential migrants might feel they've spent their money on nothing. That would be true if they made any announcements affecting eligibility, but they didn't, did they. The announcement is about processing times and the reaction from some people is about impatience and an unjustified sense of being in some way 'penalised'.

if DIAC tell people to get them done and then DIAC shift the goalposts the following day - as has now happened to THOUSANDS of visa applicants from all over the world in the last 48 hours - those applicants will have to incur those meds costs again as & when your Government might decide to revive a visa application at a later date.

No argument from me there, but that was always possible - it's cruel, no question, and it's disappointing and I totally understand that, but to say DIAC are to "blame" because people need to wait longer is taking things to an extent that requires a monumental lack of perspective - that's my point.

your Government could change the goalposts on him overnight yet again.

They could, yes. They reserve that right. And what government wouldn't? Migrants aren't owed any favours. Policies will naturally evolve to reflect economic need, and some people are inevitably going to get caught out by that. Life ain't fair.

Your entire hypothesis is based on the notion that applying to migrate to Australia costs nothing.

No it's not. It's based on the notion that when people are caught out by changes like these, it's just an unfortunate fact of life, and some people here don't seem to understand that. They're letting their disappointment fuel a wave of anger against the Australian government and I don't think that's fair. It's not as if they're not eligible any more, after all.

Hi Mikka

I too think that above mentioned predictions are very optimistic. I even think that Alan is a bit optimistic too.

If there is no internal (Australian) voice in favour to immigrants most of us will likely to meet 2012 deadline. :swoon:

I think the 2012 thing is a guide line for some going on the 175, but i believe this is a push for people to go for the state sponsorship or employer sponsorship as these have better employment rates overall , also i think it helps with quicker processing times for the diac as a lot of info is already sorted for them from the sponsors, the only other thing is that they have reduced the amount of staff at the diac, so i guess this will push times a little further and as people change from 175 visa to 176 to quicken their own process, im sure will put pressure on the state sponsors.

I think the time scales will level out as the world economy recovers and perhaps the diac re-employ more staff again! as they need to keep the migration programme in full swing! get things moving!!:arghh:

But it is highly frustrating as we keep checking for emails or any info just to keep our hopes up !...But i will say time is just flying by so i guess it will be here in good time ...good luck to all those waiting...keep believing and dont let it get to you ...:jiggy:

A couple of responses I have received from senior authorities:

"I have many views on the new 499 direction and not all of them are polite. I am especially angry that we were not consulted on the changes - we were only informed on Tuesday that they were being implemented the next day.

These changes will greatly impact on my program. Previously we worked on an 18 month - 2 year time lag between sponsorship and arrival when constructing the Skills in Demand List. A time lag of 3-4 years is nearly unmanageable. It is going to be difficult trying to predict what skills will be in shortage in 4-5 years time."

and: " ... its a bit shocking at the moment so we will have to wait and see what happens over the next few weeks as to whether feedback from states and agents prompts any amendments."

Best regards.

Here is a story from the newspaper The Australian. They are stating in here there is a shortage of construction workers? I can't work out what is true and what is not??

Lenore Taylor, National correspondent | September 26, 2009

Article from: The Australian

THE Rudd government will abandon its December 1 deadline for construction to start on buildings funded under the final round of its $14.1 billion primary schools stimulus package because of fears labour shortages have started pushing up costs.

Schools will have to begin design and other work on projects funded under the $4.6bn third and final round of the program by the December date, but will no longer be required to have started the building work.

The Victorian government has already retendered for about half of the 492 projects proposed for its $1.37bn share of the $6.3bn second round of the Primary Schools for the 21st Century program, because of concerns that the results of the initial tender were not delivering value for money

The Victorian co-ordinator for the stimulus spending, Tony Canavan, said the contracts for the retendered projects would be awarded by December.

Under the federal government's criteria, round two projects must begin by June or July, but a spokeswoman for Education Minister Julia Gillard said yesterday that was not intended to mean the building work was supposed to have started by then.

There are similar concerns in Tasmania and some regional areas about the program, which funds the construction of school halls, libraries and classrooms.

The concerns have prompted Ms Gillard to relax the requirement that construction start by December, although the March 2011 completion deadline stays.

The Weekend Australian can reveal that the $1.5bn blowout in the primary schools building program announced last month was not primarily caused by the need to use outdated enrolment numbers or the unexpected popularity of the scheme, as the government claimed, but by a misunderstanding between Ms Gillard's department and that of Finance Minister Lindsay Tanner.

The misunderstanding - understood to be a source of some tension - meant the scheme was costed one way, but implemented differently.

Mr Tanner's department costed the program on the assumption that overall schools would spend only 90 per cent of the total amount for which they were collectively eligible, and some schools would choose not to apply for funding.

The guidelines then developed by Ms Gillard's department allowed states and independent school authorities to apply for the maximum amount for every school, to reallocate excess funding from one school to another and to reallocate money from a school that did not need a new building to another in its jurisdiction. These guidelines guaranteed that close to 100 per cent of the possible funding would be spent, contrary to the Finance Department's assumptions.

When Kevin Rudd announced the program, he said it would "fund a new 21st-century school library, multipurpose hall or classroom modernisation for each of Australia's 7400 primary schools". However, as the guidelines were developed they allowed each school to apply for funding for more than one project, which made it extremely likely the maximum funding levels would be reached and the $1.5bn cost blowout would occur.

The list of 7961 successful schools under the three rounds of the project on the government's website shows almost every school has been allocated the maximum amount available for its enrolment size.

Asked about the issue yesterday, Ms Gillard said: "As the government has outlined in the parliament on a number of occasions, the Department of Finance costed the Primary Schools for the 21st Century element of the Building the Education Revolution on an assumption that there would be a 90 per cent take-up rate among primary schools."

Mr Tanner did not respond to queries on the subject.

It is understood one reason for allowing state departments and independent school authorities to move money from one school to another was to provide an incentive for them to keep quotes low. This was because their own systems would benefit from the savings, rather than having to return leftover money to the commonwealth. The aim of the stimulus was to ensure all the money was rapidly spent.

Victoria is understood to be suffering more severe shortages in its construction industry because of the combination of the government stimulus spending and the rebuilding effort after its devastating bushfires.

Tasmania is straining under the effort of rolling out the first tranche of the national broadband network and the rest of its stimulus spend. And some regional areas simply do not have enough builders to cope with the large surge in work.

Dear All, received this email today from a migration agent - not ours but I subscribe to their newsletter. Might be of help to cheer people up:

DIAC have again amended their processing priorities for GSM visa applications. Information relating to these changes can be found at:

Having studied these changes we will now attempt to clarify so that you may understand them more clearly.

Based on the information provided it would appear that the processing priority changes will impact as follows:

Subclass 175 visa applications with state/territory sponsorship - these applications will be minimally affected by these changes and some slight increase in processing times should be anticipated.

Subclass 175 visa applications with no state/territory sponsorship - DIAC are now advising that processing times may extend to end 2012, irrespective of how long an application has already been in the pipeline.

1. The GSM program for 2009-10 is set at 108,100 places (this means 108,100 primary applicants).

3. 75% of occupations on the CSL are Health, Allied Health or Professional Engineer based. All these occupations have historically had a lower than required take up rate under the GSM program (the main reason that they are on the CSL).

Given the factors at 1 - 3 above it becomes readily apparent that the bulk of the 108,100 places in the GSM visa program year will not be filled by listed CSL occupations. Some will be filled by applicants with employer sponsored visas but undoubtedly the bulk will be via the state/territory sponsorship arrangement.

In Summary

Clients who have applications lodged and have state/territory sponsorship should not see significant change to processing times for their applications. This information does not allow for additional processing times that will occur due to increased volume of state/territory sponsored applications that DIAC have and will continue to receive.

For clients who are not yet at the visa application lodgment stage, we would again reiterate that you should be actively considering some form of state/territory sponsorship as an integral part of your visa application strategy. (Spending 2 years in a "non preferred" state may be more suitable than spending 3+ years in the UK waiting for an application to finalise).

Hope this helps. Kelly :biggrin:

My heart wants to beleive this my head tells me something different ! I used to be a my glass is half full person now its my glass is half empty ! sorry for sounding negative guys and I hope this timeline proves right I have just had enough of this Journey like so many others to get so near after 19 months then wake up wednesday hoping to see Visa granted instead faced by a another possible long wait i donot know how I can start to feel positive again sorry !

WJK

Guest Justin JIANG

It's really a bad news for STATE SPONSORSHIP APPLICANT WITH NON-CSL OCCUPATION even though they are in the final stage of processing. States and terrorities has less saying in the process, thus the state skill shortage list for non-csl applicant seems useless as lower processing priority would be granted.

Guest KatyNick

I'm trying so hard to keep positive ....... we were so close to getting a CO!.

I suppose the main downfall is the lack of information. Agents don't know what is happening, and from reading posts on here, many COs are in the same boat.

I'm just going to sit tight and see what happens within the next few weeks (hopefully not months!!). I'm not going to give up on our dream .......

Guest Wannabeoz

I'd love to believe some agents' predictions that non CSL state sponsored applicants (like me) shouldn't see a significant increase in processing times. But in the faqs on the immi website it says that if you are a non CSL GSM applicant your application is unlikely to be finalised before the end of 2012. Does anyone know what agents might be basing their predictions on?!

I simply cannot believe there are at present that many ENS & CSLers in the pipeline that can clog up the system for the next 3 years. We (as previously mentioned) are in the final stages of the application. Therefore, surely those like us with CO's will be processed once they are through with the CSLs. That said, DIAC's current timeline of 3 years will prob be for 175 visas who are only just applying. Does anyone feel the same or am I just trying to delude myself?

Tracey x

Guest sunnyday
One minute im hopefull.......

The next im so worried.....:sad:

Hi Kelly, you've had everything done!! I seriously can't see how it would benefit them to suddenly not bother finishing your visa now, keep your chin up Im sure It'll be through soon x

Given the factors at 1 - 3 above it becomes readily apparent that the bulk of the 108,100 places in the GSM visa program year will not be filled by listed CSL occupations. Some will be filled by applicants with employer sponsored visas but undoubtedly the bulk will be via the state/territory sponsorship arrangement.Hope this helps. Kelly :biggrin:

Ok, real sorry to all affected but I think the above is nonsense and without foundation.

I'm 175 on CSL and though I'd be pretty unnafected. But according to the above I would have to wait until 2012??? Poppycock!

This is from DIAC website:-

"Q10 How long will it take for my application to be finalised if my nominated occupation is on the CSL?

If you have applied for an onshore or offshore GSM visa and your nominated occupation is on the CSL, it is estimated that your application will be finalised within 12 months from your lodgement date."

I'm still seing VISA grants on timeline website & here too!

Comments welcomed?:biggrin:

Guest Wannabeoz

I agree! It says on the DIAC website state sponsored non CSL will now have to wait til 2012, so I don't know why anyone thinks anything else... As much as I'd love to believe them!

Guest Bill_er_Bong
Ok, real sorry to all affected but I think the above is nonsense and without foundation.

I'm 175 on CSL and though I'd be pretty unnafected. But according to the above I would have to wait until 2012??? Poppycock!

This is from DIAC website:-

"Q10 How long will it take for my application to be finalised if my nominated occupation is on the CSL?

If you have applied for an onshore or offshore GSM visa and your nominated occupation is on the CSL, it is estimated that your application will be finalised within 12 months from your lodgement date."

I'm still seing VISA grants on timeline website & here too!

Comments welcomed?:biggrin:

Steve... yeah, you are right, of course you won't have to wait till 2012. I assume the email you refer to is talking of 175's not on the CSL. They haven't made that clear.

Hi Guys

/This all is very worrying as we have our meds booked for Tuesday the 29th sept The question is `Do I cancel and wait or do I go and hope for the best?`We have applied for 176 state sponsored and are not on the csl.

/This is what I think........

/The csl has always been priority since it came into effect followed by state sponsored so looking at what DIAC says `What really has changed?They have said that all csl will recieve priority processing and next in line is state sponsored which is what a lot of us have gone for.Now the question is `ARE THEY GOING TO STOP PROCESSING ALL STATE SPONSORED AND ONLY PROCESS CSL OR WILL THEY CONTINUE PROCESSING STATE SPONSORED BUT AT A SLOWER RATE? tHIS IS WHATS CONFUSING ME.

Can anyone set me straight

Thank you

Now the question is `ARE THEY GOING TO STOP PROCESSING ALL STATE SPONSORED AND ONLY PROCESS CSL OR WILL THEY CONTINUE PROCESSING STATE SPONSORED BUT AT A SLOWER RATE? tHIS IS WHATS CONFUSING ME.

Can anyone set me straight

Thank you

Think this is what we all wish to know....:sad:

The problem has come from them stating that non-csl SS applications wont be processed until 2012.....WHY?......:confused:

Archived